PDA

View Full Version : Deadpool get a spin-off

idiot savant
05-07-2009, 06:01 AM
It's official: The mutants are taking over Hollywood. And we're not talking about the freaks running the studios.

Following the monster weekend for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and a day after announcing that a Hugh Jackman-powered sequel is in the works, 20th Century Fox has confirmed to E! News that Jackman's costar Ryan Reynolds will be given his own spinoff and potential franchise-launcher as the Marvel Comics antihero Deadpool.

The 32-year-old Canadian actor, otherwise known as Mr. Scarlett Johansson, will again star as Wade Wilson, a wisecracking, cancer-stricken mercenary who's cured of the disease after undergoing the same Weapon X genetic alteration as Wolverine.

But along with superhuman powers, enhanced strength and self-regenerating healing powers, the slightly unhinged Deadpool can absorb the abilities of dead and captured mutants.

All I can say it's about damn time. I wonder who gonna play Weasel?

runamok
05-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm slightly concerned. Deadpool is a BAD guy. I don't know how you make a multi-million dollar movie about a scumbag bad guy into a PG-13 movie. Even if he is supposed to be a wise cracking, goofy, Bea Arthur loving bad guy.

Gonna be some watered down shit just so Burger King can sell fucking Deadpool drinking cups.

kukm4
05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
might end up as a straight to dvd :X

Alyssa87
05-07-2009, 07:36 AM
might end up as a straight to dvd :X

+1.

hopefully an instant play on netflix

runamok
05-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Dude, that would so suck. Most straight to dvds are cuz they realized it's gonna flop at the theaters and are trying to recoup some of the production costs in sales/cable.

Remember, Marvel is now firmly in the movie business and they want all their IP's to be X-Men like hits.

Legend
05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
It would be about as interesting as a gambit spinoff movie and gambit sucked on so many levels in origins.For some reason marvel movies don't even compare to the dc stuff.

runamok
05-07-2009, 07:57 AM
It would be about as interesting as a gambit spinoff movie and gambit sucked on so many levels in origins.For some reason marvel movies don't even compare to the dc stuff.

I respectfully disagree. Deadpool has a HUGE rabid like fan base. Gambit's fanbase...not so much. Deadpool does have an interesting backstory and he's such a goofy smart ass which is a perfect role for Reynolds.

I'm just worried about how the PG-13 ratings is going to neuter a Deadpool.

idiot savant
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm slightly concerned. Deadpool is a BAD guy. I don't know how you make a multi-million dollar movie about a scumbag bad guy into a PG-13 movie. Even if he is supposed to be a wise cracking, goofy, Bea Arthur loving bad guy.

This is a Marvel Movie so expect the original storyline to be off.(look they already add powers to him that he don't have) Speak of which, what happen to that Darkness movie?

Quiet Reflections
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
it might be a bad movie but with all the big names I'm sure they will jam into it and the unrelenting Hollywood hype machine it will never be straight to DVD. Especially if Ryan Reynolds is involved

Quiet Reflections
05-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I want to see a big budget rated R Marvel Zombies movie

blckhaze
05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
not against a bad guy, just pick a more well known one.

Magneto was kinda touched on in the first movie, but still alot left to go into

UckedFup
05-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Gonna be some watered down shit just so Burger King can sell fucking Deadpool drinking cups.

The Deadpool spinoff comic started out really well. I bought a couple copies of the SpiderMan golden age redo.

Not to ruin it but the comic book series really did a good job of playing the mercenary given a chance angle and that would easily translate to the movie screen even in a neutered PG13 format; although true fans would want the R.

sockmonkey
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
But along with superhuman powers, enhanced strength and self-regenerating healing powers, the slightly unhinged Deadpool can absorb the abilities of dead and captured mutants.

Wait, since when?

runamok
05-09-2009, 12:52 AM
I want to see a big budget rated R Marvel Zombies movie

2 years ago I would've said, "Keep Dreaming!" But, now? Marvel is in the movie making business now and I would say that if it stands a chance to make serious bank, it's VERY possible.

The only possible issues to resolve is FOX and Sony still clinging like a dingleberry to the FF and Spidey franchises.

jaycanuck
05-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Ugh...just what Rob Liefeld needs to boost his ego. Deadpool was a mistake and so was Liefeld's career at Marvel.

runamok
05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

The Deadpool spinoff comic started out really well. I bought a couple copies of the SpiderMan golden age redo.

Not to ruin it but the comic book series really did a good job of playing the mercenary given a chance angle and that would easily translate to the movie screen even in a neutered PG13 format; although true fans would want the R.

In the comics Deadpool is friggen awesome. He's had some really good writers that get his brand of humor. His fanbase is huge and we want a DP movie for certain.

Silcc69
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Look at the concept of Doom and MK those franchises were originally very violent then they got watered down to pg-13 idk how either fared in the box office.

runamok
05-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Look at the concept of Doom and MK those franchises were originally very violent then they got watered down to pg-13 idk how either fared in the box office.

This is what I'm talking about. At the box office, DOOM was a huge turd and MK was just silly, forgettable rubbish. Violence and bloodshed is the hallmark of these franchises and to remove them doesn't leave anything left that's interesting.

matrixdave
05-14-2009, 01:25 AM
I HOPE DEADPOOL GETS A MOVIE. BUT I DID NOT LIKE WHAT THEY DID TO HIM IN WOLVERINE. THAT WAS DAMN STUPID MY FRINDS WERE TAKING ABOUT THAT TODAY. SO IF HE GETS HIS OWN SPINOFF IT BETTER BE THE DEADPOOL WE KNOW NOT SOME STUPID ASS MONSTER THING.

Silcc69
05-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Well look at how they fucked up Transformers. Other than the great special effects that movie really wasn't that good from a fan standpoint.

sockmonkey
05-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Well look at how they fucked up Transformers. Other than the great special effects that movie really wasn't that good from a fan standpoint.

I still get a little choked up every time I think about Ultra Magnus.

May sound like an overstatement, but I'd rank him up there with the best tragic heroes in literature.

Silcc69
05-14-2009, 03:05 AM

May sound like an overstatement, but I'd rank him up there with the best tragic heroes in literature.

Uhm are you talking about the 1986 moive?

Tiffany Anne
05-14-2009, 04:07 AM
1) Deadpool's a bad guy, yes...but he's a killer and mercernary...you just have him go after bigger scum...like politicians and bankers.

2) The "dead mutant" powers is in the movie...though the movie also gives an excuse to get rid of them ("the bonding process isn't complete!").

3) Deadpool is basically Bugs Bunny with lots of guns. You just do 90 minutes of the scene with him in the office with the swords, and you got your movie. Ryan Reynolds is perfect for the part.

4) Development on the movie has just been green lighted....personaly, I'm gonna let them at least write a script before I bash them.

sockmonkey
05-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Uhm are you talking about the 1986 moive?

Yeah, it was the only one worth seeing. Y'know, from a fan standpoint.

sockmonkey
05-14-2009, 05:26 AM
4) Development on the movie has just been green lighted....personaly, I'm gonna let them at least write a script before I bash them.

Hey, that's not how things are done on the internet!

runamok
05-14-2009, 11:26 AM
3) Deadpool is basically Bugs Bunny with lots of guns. You just do 90 minutes of the scene with him in the office with the swords, and you got your movie. Ryan Reynolds is perfect for the part.

That's the best description of Deadpool that I have ever seen. I'm gonna steal that.

Tiffany Anne
05-15-2009, 05:49 AM

That's the best description of Deadpool that I have ever seen. I'm gonna steal that.

That was Christopher Priest's revelation when he was writing the book. He'd been having trouble, cuz with traditional heroes, they can't look like fools. Once he realized that Deadpool that he was Bugs, and thus could look as foolish as possible as long it served being funny and winning in the end.

TomSelis
05-15-2009, 06:28 AM

Wait, since when?

That's what I said.

sockmonkey
05-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Wait, since when?

That's what I said.

Really, I understand sometimes you have to take liberties and change characters, but don't make it stupid, for fuck's sake.

Tiffany Anne
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Really, I understand sometimes you have to take liberties and change characters, but don't make it stupid, for fuck's sake.

It makes sense in context with the current movie, and there's nothing that says that sticks around in the Deadpool film.

sockmonkey
05-15-2009, 10:39 AM

It makes sense in context with the current movie, and there's nothing that says that sticks around in the Deadpool film.

I'm withholding final judgement until I actually go see it, but from the surface it rather simply seems lazy, especially with other erstwhile mutants in the Mighty Marvel catalogue in possession of the same power. Amalgamation of characters for the purpose of expediency is hell of weak (reference this with the movie version of From Hell's manipulation of Johnny Depp's character).

AllanahSexToy
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Ryan Is Definitely A Hottie!

Sooo Soooo Sexy

Hopefully It Has A Good Story Line & They Hype It Up Enough Before It Comes Out!

runamok
05-18-2009, 08:07 AM

That was Christopher Priest's revelation when he was writing the book. He'd been having trouble, cuz with traditional heroes, they can't look like fools. Once he realized that Deadpool that he was Bugs, and thus could look as foolish as possible as long it served being funny and winning in the end.

Really? That's makes it even more brilliant.

rockabilly
06-03-2009, 05:58 AM
I doubt they would do a live action Marvel Zombies, However an animated ( in the style of say Heavy Metal ) DVD feature would be a more likely option. Also has anyone else heard the rumor that BSG's Katee Sackhoff will play Typhoid Mary? The bigger question is will she be in the confirmed Deadpool movie ... or the rumored reboot of Daredevil? This time DD is getting the " Batman Begins" treatment he deserves. It will supposedly be produced under the Marvel Knights banner like Punisher Warzone. :)

jordyd19
06-03-2009, 08:00 AM
they should keep reynolds but scrap what was created by the wolverine comic lovers horror film like they did with hulk

RubyTS
06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
im so disappointed in the marvel movies

They always change the stupidest things and leave the fans feeling like they could have done so much more. They totally screwed up the x-men movies and now they're moving on to this deadpool spinoff, i mean come on! With all the material and characters they have to work with, they could have easily went in so many different directions. IDK about anyone else, but im still waiting for a x-men movie that leaves me feeling satisfied! They were all disappointments.

X-men Origins... 3 movies. Wolverine, deadpool and magneto. Deadpool was no where near associated with X-men! And they already screwed up his whole stor adding all these ridiculous extra powers.

They could have done a movie with Sauron, Polaris and Havoc Jean and Cyclops in the savageland! They could have Shown the history between Lilandra and Prof X, and cyclops father and the starjammers. They could have done a movie with apocalypse, or mr sinister or any number of other people. They could have introduced X-Force, X-factor, eXcalibur, so many were once members of x-men or somehow associated with them! Cable beeing Cyclops future son and phoenix being jean grey's daughter... U have longshot, dazzler, psylocke, jubuilee soooo many people i wanted to see in these movies. Im sorry deadpool is not getting my money!

rockabilly
06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe they can make it up w/ the X-Men prequel " First Year " . I like the idea of Banshee being a '70s era Irish metal singer w/ killer high notes instead of just being Moira McTaggerts on again boyfriend. And please bring in Prof. Xs son Legion!!

RubyTS
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe they can make it up w/ the X-Men prequel " First Year " . I like the idea of Banshee being a '70s era Irish metal singer w/ killer high notes instead of just being Moira McTaggerts on again boyfriend. And please bring in Prof. Xs son Legion!!

and colossus's sister magik!!!

sockmonkey
06-03-2009, 02:33 PM

They always change the stupidest things and leave the fans feeling like they could have done so much more. They totally screwed up the x-men movies and now they're moving on to this deadpool spinoff, i mean come on! With all the material and characters they have to work with, they could have easily went in so many different directions. IDK about anyone else, but im still waiting for a x-men movie that leaves me feeling satisfied! They were all disappointments.

X-men Origins... 3 movies. Wolverine, deadpool and magneto. Deadpool was no where near associated with X-men! And they already screwed up his whole stor adding all these ridiculous extra powers.

They could have done a movie with Sauron, Polaris and Havoc Jean and Cyclops in the savageland! They could have Shown the history between Lilandra and Prof X, and cyclops father and the starjammers. They could have done a movie with apocalypse, or mr sinister or any number of other people. They could have introduced X-Force, X-factor, eXcalibur, so many were once members of x-men or somehow associated with them! Cable beeing Cyclops future son and phoenix being jean grey's daughter... U have longshot, dazzler, psylocke, jubuilee soooo many people i wanted to see in these movies. Im sorry deadpool is not getting my money!

Well, here's the difficult thing about that (and I do think you've made some good points here, as I've been a Marvel fan my whole life): Marvel has to make films based on their franchises which are mass-marketable and appealing to the general public. The general public, unfortunately, does not know the complex history of the X-Men titles, for example, nor would they emotionally invest in that history with nothing but a compulsory recap to explain it all. Not only that, but the farther you get away from the core of the narrative (as with the Starjammers or the Mojoverse or the Days of Future Past storylines), the more difficult it is for the average movie-goer to follow.

Given these considerations, they absolutely have done the right thing with their franchises in a general way; you could argue for more depth behind the characters and their motivations, but that's something that tends to be script-specific, not necessarily on the production level. The best thing you can honestly hope for is that the film adaptations carry the basic "tone" of the source material, which has, in the spectrum of X-Men titles, been established over multiple decades. It's unrealistic to hope for an one-to-one version of the movie; comicbooks can't be recreated that perfectly in any other medium.

In a very simple sense, you can't make the billions of dollars that Marvel's movies have generated by appealing solely to the avid comicbook reader. It'd be like trying to explain an inside joke to everyone in the world: they may appreciate to a shallow extent, but ultimately they just won't get it. I agree that no matter what context you put it in, changing Deadpool's powers for the sake of the plot (and admittedly I still haven't seen the movie) is flimsy at best, but insofar as introducing him as a relevant character to the Weapon X project, you kind of have to X-pect that sort of thing.

And remember, the more these specific stories from the films are introduced, the more we as fans of the original stuff get to pick out the little "easter egg" moments that connect the films to the greater X-Men universe.

drmindbender03
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree with you 100%

Quiet Reflections
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Ryan Reynolds Talks "Deadpool" Villains
Jun 03rd, 2009 (2:00pm)
A "Deadpool" spin-off is currently in fast-track development with Ryan Reynolds and the writers currently trying to figure out which enemies to include in the film.

"I'm hoping Cable will be in it," he told MTV News. "Look, I've made no secret that I love that character. I also love some of the more preliminary characters at the beginning of the series. I like Ajax — that's an easier character to put in. And Black Tom."

He added: "I think there’s a lot of different villains [we're considering]; you could do a whole bunch of villains in [the first film], or you could just have Deadpool going up against one guy. We'll see."

Source: MTV News

RubyTS
06-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Well, here's the difficult thing about that (and I do think you've made some good points here, as I've been a Marvel fan my whole life): Marvel has to make films based on their franchises which are mass-marketable and appealing to the general public. The general public, unfortunately, does not know the complex history of the X-Men titles, for example, nor would they emotionally invest in that history with nothing but a compulsory recap to explain it all. Not only that, but the farther you get away from the core of the narrative (as with the Starjammers or the Mojoverse or the Days of Future Past storylines), the more difficult it is for the average movie-goer to follow.

Given these considerations, they absolutely have done the right thing with their franchises in a general way; you could argue for more depth behind the characters and their motivations, but that's something that tends to be script-specific, not necessarily on the production level. The best thing you can honestly hope for is that the film adaptations carry the basic "tone" of the source material, which has, in the spectrum of X-Men titles, been established over multiple decades. It's unrealistic to hope for an one-to-one version of the movie; comicbooks can't be recreated that perfectly in any other medium.

In a very simple sense, you can't make the billions of dollars that Marvel's movies have generated by appealing solely to the avid comicbook reader. It'd be like trying to explain an inside joke to everyone in the world: they may appreciate to a shallow extent, but ultimately they just won't get it. I agree that no matter what context you put it in, changing Deadpool's powers for the sake of the plot (and admittedly I still haven't seen the movie) is flimsy at best, but insofar as introducing him as a relevant character to the Weapon X project, you kind of have to X-pect that sort of thing.

And remember, the more these specific stories from the films are introduced, the more we as fans of the original stuff get to pick out the little "easter egg" moments that connect the films to the greater X-Men universe.

true, we sure do love to complain about the screw-ups. I can totally understand the issue with the complexity of the storylines, i mean with people coming from the future or past, space, different dimensions, astral planes not to mention the family ties between so many characters, i mean even jean grey alone has such an intricate storyline between the original marvel girl, to jean grey, phoenix, goblyn queen, madelyn pryor... it really makes u appreciate the time and amazing detail that went into developing each and every character, relationships, and origins when u see a movie like the ones they have produced. I still can't help but feel disappointed. Maybe if they at least created a decent cartoon series involving all memebers of the marvel universe, that would be HOTT. Or a tv series like smallville, based on the x-men, but featuring lots of the other important characters

Silcc69
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Uhm Ruby we have been there and done that with the outstanding X-Men: Animated Series from Fox. I have never seen X-Men 3 but I thought the first 2 were somewhat decent. I thought Wolverine was decent too but it does seem like they take things and jsut throw it out the window

-Rogue was a badass in the comics and she became forgettable in the movies
-Storm was also a forgettable in the movie
-Gambit origin had nothing to do with Wolverine. He started off with Storm and worked with Sabertooh.

Is Deadpool really a better character than Gambit to start another movie with?

RubyTS
06-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Uhm Ruby we have been there and done that with the outstanding X-Men: Animated Series from Fox. I have never seen X-Men 3 but I thought the first 2 were somewhat decent. I thought Wolverine was decent too but it does seem like they take things and jsut throw it out the window

-Rogue was a badass in the comics and she became forgettable in the movies
-Storm was also a forgettable in the movie
-Gambit origin had nothing to do with Wolverine. He started off with Storm and worked with Sabertooh.

Is Deadpool really a better character than Gambit to start another movie with?

Yeah the animated series was pretty good, i have every episode! But even they misssed out on some gr8 storylines, but so far, the best x-men production ive seen.

Casting for Gambit was awful! im sorry, but gambit is supposed to be a hot and sexy french ladies man. This actor didn't capture his essence at all. And i agree about storm and rogue. While both their personalities were really domminant in the comics, they easily faded to the background in the movies. Iceman was so sweet he gave me a toothache, while in the comics he was a total prankster. there are hundreds of little inconistancies i could point out, which is what really bothers me, how they completely changed the characters and personalities, its like an injustice to the fans

The only people they were on point with were wolverine, mystique, cyclops and professor X

stillies77
06-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool was the best part of the Wolverine movie...Baraka however was the worst part...so if this movie is ryan reynolds as the person he was in the beginning of the film consider me sold...Deadpool is the best.

rockabilly
06-04-2009, 12:45 AM
X3 sucked because Brett Ratner had no respect for the source material or a damn clue about what mutants had what powers!! He said " i wanted the mutants to have lots of powers and i merged lesser characters together. " WTF!! He took Callisto and gave her quicksilvers speed , Callibans mutant tracking ability plus her strength! When asked why he didn't put Quicksilver in since he's Magnetos son he said " Wow i didn't know Magneto had a son." WTF!! Damn you Ratner! OK rant over.

RubyTS
06-04-2009, 01:07 AM
LMAO i didnt even know that was supposed to be callysto omg! CALLYSTO WAS A SKINNY UGLY OLD HAG! I know the other one was supposed to be psylocke lmfao! retarted! Not to mention jeans amazing super shredding ability ha ha ha

rockabilly
06-04-2009, 01:20 AM
I know! Bret Ratner fused Dark Phoenix w/ The Scarlet Witch. I dont know why they alter Wolverines backstory so much. Maybe in Wolverine 2 they'll show him in Madripoor and Japan, Hey then they can have him fight Sunfire since he's Mariko Yashidas cousin. lol And Silver Samuorai oh and Lady Deathstrike and the Hand ninja clan and why not have the real Psylocke in it since she was trained and brainwashed by them. Yeah Sarcasm is fun.

RubyTS
06-04-2009, 01:39 AM
lady deathstrike is yuriko right? i remember a comic where yuriko before her transition was tied very closely to storm when her powers were running amok and she basically went through her own dark phoenix stage. Yuriko taught her to let loose. Thats when she chopped her hair into a mowhawk and started with her bad girl phase. That was wayy bak in the day, when kitty ws crushing on colossus and just learning to phase other people with her

Silcc69
06-04-2009, 01:44 AM
X3 sucked because Brett Ratner had no respect for the source material or a damn clue about what mutants had what powers!! He said " i wanted the mutants to have lots of powers and i merged lesser characters together. " WTF!! He took Callisto and gave her quicksilvers speed , Callibans mutant tracking ability plus her strength! When asked why he didn't put Quicksilver in since he's Magnetos son he said " Wow i didn't know Magneto had a son." WTF!! Damn you Ratner! OK rant over.

Blame Marvel for allowing him to do that. Like to me it really doesn't seem like they really give a damn they jsut wanna make a ton of money w/o regards to accuracy. At least DC Comic get's there stuff right most of the time. Other than Batman Forever and the horrid Batman & Robin. Everything else has been solid to great.

stillies77
06-04-2009, 01:46 AM
...Catwoman...Constantine...

rockabilly
06-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Well they retcon the stories so much its hard to keep track of origin stories. I thought Deathstrikes father was the head scientist behind Weapon X and she hated Wolverine cause he killed her dad as he escaped the lab. Oh well i hope Thor and Captain America turn out good.

Silcc69
06-04-2009, 01:54 AM
I never seen Catwoman and I always think of Batman Returns redition of her. I didn't even know Constatine haf anything to do with DC Comics,

rockabilly
06-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Constantine was based on thd Hellblazer comics, i think they changed the name so as not to be confused w/ the Hellboy movie. And rumor is Angelina Jolie wants to be Catwoman in the next Batman film.... and so does Cher... yes Cher. :)

RubyTS
06-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Constantine was based on thd Hellblazer comics, i think they changed the name so as not to be confused w/ the Hellboy movie. And rumor is Angelina Jolie wants to be Catwoman in the next Batman film.... and so does Cher... yes Cher. :)

They should do a typhoid mary movie with angelina jolie!!!!!

rockabilly
06-04-2009, 04:50 AM

They should do a typhoid mary movie with angelina jolie!!!!!Sorry but Katee Sackhoff ( Starbuck ) has apparently got that role.

Silcc69
06-04-2009, 05:08 AM
http://www.impawards.com/1986/posters/transformers_the_movie.jpg

The movie critics shitted all on this one and while it was far from perfect it is still better than the crap we have now!

This scene traumatized a whole generation of kids!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1365/748247859_fe0652c4d9.jpg

rockabilly
06-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Yeah it also forced them to change the ending of the Gi-Joe animated movie. Duke died in the original ending, but the angry letters they got about Optimus Primes death from parents saying their kids were crying about it forced them to alter the story.

gotchagood
06-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Within the next few years, Marvel will own the theater. Iron man 2, Captain America, Thor, the Avengers, Deadpool, I heard sub mariner will be made and also black panther. I love marvel and will be spending quite a few dollars at the boxoffice in the next few years.

have a great day all

Silcc69
06-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Yeah as a kid I always wondered how could Duke survive a poison snake to the heart yet Prime died lol. It made know sense whatsoever back then.

idiot savant
06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.impawards.com/1986/posters/transformers_the_movie.jpg

The movie critics shitted all on this one and while it was far from perfect it is still better than the crap we have now!

This scene traumatized a whole generation of kids!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1365/748247859_fe0652c4d9.jpg

:cry :cry :cry :cry

stillies77
06-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Til all are one