PDA

View Full Version : Court grants teen breast removal

JamesHunt
05-05-2009, 03:00 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8032172.stm

An Australian teenage girl has been given permission by a court to have both breasts surgically removed to more closely resemble a boy.

The 17-year-old, known as Alex in court and referred to as a boy, has a psychological condition that makes him unhappy with his gender.

The Family Court in Melbourne said the removal of both breasts would help Alex to build a new life as a boy.

The decision has angered Catholic groups, who view it as irresponsible.

Alex has "gender identity dysphoria", a psychological condition where a person believes they are the opposite sex, the Age newspaper reported.

Alex has been on hormone treatment since he was 13 to prevent menstruation, it said.

Social development

He applied to the court for a double mastectomy before he turned 18 - the age at which he would not need the court's consent and which he would no longer receive social support services as a minor.

Family Court chief justice Diana Bryant said Alex, who lives life as a male, was socially constrained by the breasts, avoided being hugged and wore binding at the beach.

"So it was quite an impediment to his social development, which everyone thought was very important," Judge Bryant was quoted as saying by the Age.

"Overwhelmingly, the evidence was that it was in his interests. And I made that order.

"I wanted to make it quickly so that he could have the operation straight away.''

Critics say that such radical surgery on a 17-year-old is irresponsible and premature.

Campaigners have said that a man from Melbourne who had a sex-change operation in his early 20s was now suing his doctors because he regretted the decision.

SarahG
05-05-2009, 03:07 AM

An Australian teenage girl has been given permission by a court to have both breasts surgically removed to more closely resemble a boy.

The 17-year-old, known as Alex in court and referred to as a boy, has a psychological condition that makes him unhappy with his gender.

The Family Court in Melbourne said the removal of both breasts would help Alex to build a new life as a boy.

Alex has "gender identity dysphoria", a psychological condition where a person believes they are the opposite sex, the Age newspaper reported.

Alex has been on hormone treatment since he was 13 to prevent menstruation, it said.

Social development

He applied to the court for a double mastectomy before he turned 18 - the age at which he would not need the court's consent and which he would no longer receive social support services as a minor.

Family Court chief justice Diana Bryant said Alex, who lives life as a male, was socially constrained by the breasts, avoided being hugged and wore binding at the beach.

"So it was quite an impediment to his social development, which everyone thought was very important," Judge Bryant was quoted as saying by the Age.

"Overwhelmingly, the evidence was that it was in his interests. And I made that order.

"I wanted to make it quickly so that he could have the operation straight away.''

Critics say that such radical surgery on a 17-year-old is irresponsible and premature.

Campaigners have said that a man from Melbourne who had a sex-change operation in his early 20s was now suing his doctors because he regretted the decision.

I dunno about how the Australians do things, but I know over here, GGs can get breast reductions before age 18. Its technically the same procedure IIRC, the only difference between a normal breast reduction and what the FtMs get, is the FtMs get more removed.

IDK what kind of screening FtMs are put threw, but GGs wanting smaller breasts (because of sagging problems or back problems, etc) often don't need much more than a single 45 min screening before getting the ok, even if they're minors.

timebomb
05-05-2009, 03:25 AM

[/i]

I think that whoever this dude is that wants to sue now after the fact should be barred. What kind of public policy nightmare is this? Also, doctors are going to become more skeptical of doing these operations on younger individuals if they will later get sued because someone changed their mind!

Danielle Foxx
05-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Wow what a beautiful story - there is hope in man kind when I read such beautiful stories like these as opposed to daily media.

Thanks for sharing it

Danielle Foxx
05-05-2009, 03:33 AM

[/i]

I think that whoever this dude is that wants to sue now after the fact should be barred. What kind of public policy nightmare is this? Also, doctors are going to become more skeptical of doing these operations on younger individuals if they will later get sued because someone changed their mind!

Nope, the job of the surgeon is to give the client what he/she wants without questions as to reasons. However the doctor may chose as an artist to turn down such clients as a safe way of running the business.

Some doctors are artists and will tell you - Nope, you are done. The doctors who do this kind of work see the body as the artist sees the canvas.

That is how I see my body. It was a blank canvas into which with numerous painful procedures now has the color and earn the name painting.

We are not just mentally disabled. With good guidance some of us actually turn out better individuals then those who promote hate. Hate in other's beliefs is what I call " a living hell ".

When I was 16 my emotional mind was already developed. I knew I was different. I am glad it lead me to this day and I am blessed to have this life.

Silcc69
05-05-2009, 03:34 AM
He better merry a TS.

Alyssa87
05-05-2009, 06:30 AM
i hope this infuriated the haters.

he's not stepping on anyones toes. just doing him. STFU

BlackMath
05-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Social development

I dunno about how the Australians do things, but I know over here, GGs can get breast reductions before age 18. Its technically the same procedure IIRC, the only difference between a normal breast reduction and what the FtMs get, is the FtMs get more removed.

IDK what kind of screening FtMs are put threw, but GGs wanting smaller breasts (because of sagging problems or back problems, etc) often don't need much more than a single 45 min screening before getting the ok, even if they're minors.

Most of our Healthcare in Australia is public. So the screening would probably be different, yes.

SarahG
05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Nope, the job of the surgeon is to give the client what he/she wants without questions as to reasons. .

Exactly, not to mention that when psyc evals are employed (and in that country, they are), if the patient "shouldn't have had SRS" (as that's the argument he's making in going after the surgeon), then its the shrink who approved him for SRS that's liable. The surgeon was just doing what everyone, the patient, the patient's shrinks, etc said was worthwhile.

Nowhere
05-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Glad to hear progress is being made in Australia. Let's hope it keeps on moving forward in the rest of the world.

SarahG
05-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Most of our Healthcare in Australia is public. So the screening would probably be different, yes.

What about elective surgery? I'd imagine someone going private would have far less in the way of screening to deal with- since the tax payers aren't involved. I wonder what it would have been like had this FtM tried to get the breast reduction out of pocket, i.e. walking into a dr office. Would they have done it sooner? Would the screening process have been the same?

Here this surgery is almost always private (insurance rarely covers breast reductions even when the patient can prove its causing back problems), so a GG (dunno about ftm's) can pretty much walk into a surgeon's office even under 18, pull out some cash/blank check and say "I want smaller tits, when could you do a reduction?"

Danielle Foxx
05-05-2009, 07:04 AM

What about elective surgery? I'd imagine someone going private would have far less in the way of screening to deal with- since the tax payers aren't involved. I wonder what it would have been like had this FtM tried to get the breast reduction out of pocket, i.e. walking into a dr office. Would they have done it sooner? Would the screening process have been the same?

Here this surgery is almost always private (insurance rarely covers breast reductions even when the patient can prove its causing back problems), so a GG (dunno about ftm's) can pretty much walk into a surgeon's office even under 18, pull out some cash/blank check and say "I want smaller tits, when could you do a reduction?"

A reduction is not complete removal...

SarahG
05-05-2009, 07:06 AM

A reduction is not complete removal...

If I am understanding the procedure correctly (I know a les GG who had it done, I am saying she because she adamantly states she is not a ftm) its the same procedure, the difference is how much is removed.

NjTranceAddict
05-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Of course the catholic groups were angered by this...fucking idiots. They can't keep their nose out of anyone's shit anymore.