PDA

View Full Version : New Heaven & Hell Album Destroys All Other 2009 Albums!!

Dino Velvet
04-25-2009, 07:23 AM
...THEY'LL ALWAYS BE BLACK SABBATH TO ME!!!

Ronnie, Tony, Geezer, and Vinnie are back with their new album "The Devil You Know". Many of the songs here would fit right in on "Heaven And Hell" or "The Mob Rules". Ronnie James Dio is 66 years old and sounds way better than people 1/3 his age. I saw them live on the last tour and he really does. People in the 1970s used to debate on the best rock guitarists. Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore were always mentioned but I was and still am a Tony Iommi guy. His riffs on this album are so good you will not be unable to keep yourself from playing air guitar left handed. My one hour on the boring ass treadmill flew right by listening to this album. My favorite song is "Bible Black". Please listen to it and let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clLf-L9oSo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Thedevilyouknow-Large_(Actual_Art_Work).jpg

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.pl/media/5LjO6nuTIqxrvPR5a61d-NobXw-EHzCjstdYpALCmB7sS1eFwd3btt5A4OBjQRK3.jpg

rockit
04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
That was really good. They kind of fell out of the public eye, while they still made albums. And lets face it, not everything they done the last decade have been brilliant.

But Black Sabbath apart from the beginning, never got the praise they deserved.

Tony have always been one of the greatest rock guitarist ever, all of them are great musicians.

Judging on this track, the album is certainly on my shopping list now (yes, i still buy albums)

Thanks for the heads up on the track. Preciated

jaycanuck
04-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry..i'm not as into the music..but from a graphic design stand point, that album covers is sweet!

Coroner
04-25-2009, 05:07 PM
They couldīve named themselves "Black Sabbath" on this album.

Coroner
04-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry..i'm not as into the music..but from a graphic design stand point, that album covers is sweet!

Metal is full of great covers.

Tepres
04-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Too Melodic for my taste...

Coroner
04-25-2009, 05:33 PM
more

Dino Velvet
04-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Sorry for the no disemboweled corpses getting raped in the song. Without Sabbath, there would be no Death Metal or any other kind of Metal.

Coroner
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Sorry for the no disemboweled corpses getting raped in the song. Without Sabbath, there would be no Death Metal or any other kind of Metal.

Itīs pretty stupid to judge music by itīs "heaviness". I love it when people discredit Heavy Metal because itīs "too melodic" or "gay". Music is obviously not what matters for those who say such things. I listen to Death Metal, too, but equally to Heavy/Thrash/Speed/Prog/Power Metal. Some folks seem to forget that Metal isnīt about being tough and brutal or necro and grim. :roll:

southern81
04-25-2009, 08:30 PM
naw w/out Ozzy they will never be truly BLACK SABBATH

Tepres
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Itīs pretty stupid to judge music by itīs "heaviness". I love it when people discredit Heavy Metal because itīs "too melodic" or "gay". Music is obviously not what matters for those who say such things. I listen to Death Metal, too, but equally to Heavy/Thrash/Speed/Prog/Power Metal. Some folks seem to forget that Metal isnīt about being tough and brutal or necro and grim. :roll:

I wasn't "judging" or calling it "gay" Dickhead, I was just stating my preference.

Coroner
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM

I wasn't "judging" or calling it "gay" Dickhead, I was just stating my preference.

Whatīs your preference? Grindcore? :lol:

Coroner
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM

They became better after kicking out the bat eater. :D

Tepres
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Death, Brutal Death, (except Swedish Melodic) Deathgrind/grindcore. Also some Thrash. It was Thrash metal that really got the the genres I like, going. Especially Slayer. I believe you like Thrash?

southern81
04-25-2009, 09:03 PM

They became better after kicking out the bat eater. :D
ya just as Van Helan was better after kicking Roth out but not as much fun

fred41
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
...THEY'LL ALWAYS BE BLACK SABBATH TO ME!!!

Ronnie, Tony, Geezer, and Vinnie are back with their new album "The Devil You Know". Many of the songs here would fit right in on "Heaven And Hell" or "The Mob Rules". Ronnie James Dio is 66 years old and sounds way better than people 1/3 his age. I saw them live on the last tour and he really does. People in the 1970s used to debate on the best rock guitarists. Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore were always mentioned but I was and still am a Tony Iommi guy. His riffs on this album are so good you will not be unable to keep yourself from playing air guitar left handed. My one hour on the boring ass treadmill flew right by listening to this album. My favorite song is "Bible Black". Please listen to it and let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clLf-L9oSo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Thedevilyouknow-Large_(Actual_Art_Work).jpg

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.pl/media/5LjO6nuTIqxrvPR5a61d-NobXw-EHzCjstdYpALCmB7sS1eFwd3btt5A4OBjQRK3.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out Dino...I didn't know this configuration of the band had cut another album. It sounds really good (Dio's voice is ageless). I liked a lot of Dio's solo work in the past..and I was a huge fan of Blackmore's "Rainbow" when Dio was the frontman. Iommi's a good guitar player. He used to be really sloppy live..but he's been at it so long now he's become one of the best. I always felt though, that Geezer Butler in so many ways..really tied that band together all those years. I think his work on the base is tight. It's pointless to get into discussions after all these years as to whether this "is" Black Sabbath or not. Just take it for what its worth..a group of seasoned veterans coming together to cut an album. I'll have to give the whole thing a listen now. Thanks again Dino.

Coroner
04-26-2009, 12:27 AM

Death, Brutal Death, (except Swedish Melodic) Deathgrind/grindcore. Also some Thrash. It was Thrash metal that really got the the genres I like, going. Especially Slayer. I believe you like Thrash?

Sure, I took my nickname from the Swiss Thrash band Coroner.

thezodiac
04-26-2009, 02:20 AM
when they were inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, Ozzy and Geezer's wives (who co-manage Sabbath) made some sort of legal document crap about Black Sabbath being just the four original guys, thus that was why Dio, Vinnie Appice, Tony Martin and all of the 237 other people that have performed and recorded with Black Sabbath weren't inducted. basically, that document means that ONLY the four original guys can only be called Black Sabbath, and if they put someone different and still called themselves Black Sabbath they can be sued for copyright infringement or something like that.

I don't mind them not calling themselves Black Sabbath. and even thought in the 'Heaven And Hell' album Bill Ward played drums, they should really be called The Mob Rules... but there already is a band called that. and I guess Heaven And Hell does sound cooler with all the occult/demonic motif... besides, Dio-Black Sabbath is and sounds completely different than Ozzy-Black Sabbath

icarus2112
04-26-2009, 02:31 AM
thanks for the reminder, I remember hearing about this lineup being called heaven and hell but thought it was just a touring name, didnt realize they released an album under that name. I totally love the Dio / Sabbath albums and think that some of those songs have some of the best guitar work while still having the medieval sword and sorcery feel of Dio which was always an impression I get with Dio songs (I know this screams geek). Will be getting this CD ASAP.

Tepres
04-26-2009, 02:37 AM

Sure, I took my nickname from the Swiss Thrash band Coroner.

Exactly.

Dino Velvet
04-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Anybody pick it up today? Best Buy had the CD + a bonus DVD for $13.99. Good deal.

Rocketride
04-29-2009, 05:38 AM
I picked it up today, Dino. KICKS-ASS! They're great live too!

jughead
05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
doesn't compare to the titled album Heaven &Hell --nor Mob Rules --nor Dehumanizer ---in fact--I am a little disappointed ---

Dio is repeating lyrics we have already heard him sing ---and some of the vocal melodies sound familiar too --

like in Atom & Evil ----some of the verse melodies are dead ringers of Catch the Rainbow (Rainbow) ----I dunno ---

I am happy these guys are still writing/recording/performing ---and I do listen to The Devil You Know (hasn't left my car stereo) ---

but I dunno ---I thought/think the 3 songs from the Dio Years were incredible!! ---

was hoping for more of the same ---but it just isn't ---

I do like the new effort from these guys ---but I don't love it ---

slipknut
05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Lamb of god - wrath best album of year

/thread

slipknut
05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Lamb of god - wrath best album of year

/thread

runamok
05-13-2009, 06:15 AM
As a lifelong Sabbath fan & lover of Dio's majesty I must disagree with the OP. This is the most pedestrian, meandering, uninspired Sabbath/Dio collaboration EVER. Where is the song that defines the album? Where is the Neon Night? Mob Rules? One song just blurred into another and not once did H&H even break the speed limit.

Not 1 fast song? Maybe 60 is too old to rock. Did Iommi skip this album? Seriously, where was the solo? No track stood out for me.

I deleted the album the very next day.