PDA

View Full Version : Islam

skullyjcm
04-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Are they all fucking nuts there.......
or is it just the Musliums or how ever you spell the crazy fucks name.
I don't care what anyone says a religion that preaches that shit is doomed.
Fucking Sick Twisted Fucks...
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

skullyjcm
04-25-2009, 03:49 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

skullyjcm
04-25-2009, 03:51 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

bte
04-25-2009, 04:22 AM
Unfortunately, there are always religious fanatics no matter what religion it is. There are even Christian fanatics as well. I am friends with people who are Muslim and I can safely say that they do not share the views of other Muslims.

10th letter
04-25-2009, 04:26 AM
bullshit, the proportion of extremists in islam isnt comparable to other western religion because they havent had their reformation yet...judaism and xianity have and therefore the nutjobs in those faiths are kept under wraps for the most part by the moderate majority...

jaycanuck
04-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Religion in general is a fucked up notion. Period. Muslim, Christianity, Judiasm...right up there with Scientology and Wicca. Religion is bad period. It's an invention by man. It's held back humanity by countless years.

That being said...me thinks your views that all Muslims are "nutjobs" is a little harsh and you should ask yourself how many people Bush killed in the name of our Lord. Too soon? Check the crusades.... The spanish inquisition. Get real my friend.

BlackMath
04-25-2009, 06:16 AM
bullshit, the proportion of extremists in islam isnt comparable to other western religion because they havent had their reformation yet...judaism and xianity have and therefore the nutjobs in those faiths are kept under wraps for the most part by the moderate majority...

Hahaha, obviously you've never heard of Pat Robertson.

trish
04-25-2009, 06:52 AM

Nor have you heard of nuts like these people

http://www.visionrevisited.com/End-Times/End-Times.htm?gclid=CJuZ-8ydi5oCFSbxDAodngJDFA

or these people

http://www.leftbehind.com/

scroller
04-25-2009, 07:12 AM
And aren't those pictures from the "Mohammed cartoon" protests back in 2005? Certainly the type of person motivated to dig up some 4-year-old pictures to whip up anti-Muslim sentiment on a tranny internet forum leaves me scratching my head.

slip969
04-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Agreed, all religion is the poison of our society. It stifles human progression, holds back free thinking, and is a form of mind control. However, with that said. I've personally never seen such a religion used in such a manipulative way. Islam is truly a infective plague of society.

/2cents

tao1kiku
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Anyone recall the Crusades? Spanish Inquisition? Hmmm?

EyeCumInPiece
04-25-2009, 10:38 AM
i say fuck any religion that passes judgement on those who are not amongst the faithful....

the end.

MacShreach
04-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Anyone recall the Crusades? Spanish Inquisition? Hmmm?

Shit, anybody recall George Bush?

All religion is a curse, a baseless nonsense designed to control people. It stifles progress and development and is routinely, on a daily basis, right now, all over the world, used as a justification for appalling evil.

The solution is not reform of religion--it's removal of religion.

rcatf
04-25-2009, 11:00 AM
A big part of it is what we see. The networks and internet don't show the billions of people and families praying everyday for peace to Yahwey, Jesus and Allah.

All of the JCI (Judeo/Christian/Islam) religeons teach peace at their core and there are extremesits of all beliefs that twist that message to justify personal and evil actions.

Yes there are Islamist extremists (who are indeed a threat and abominations to the message of their faith) that we see everyday on the news but there also many so-called christians who say "kill all them arabs, jews and gays" (a very un-Christ-like view) who aren't constantly featured and portrayed as an ultimate threat.

Check out how many hate-crimes against transgendered people in the west have been commited by "devout" christians and then look at the forum you posted in, and...well, I'm done w/ my rant...

MacShreach
04-25-2009, 11:29 AM
All of the JCI (Judeo/Christian/Islam) religeons teach peace at their core .

That's simply not true. The god of the Old Testament, upon whose hate the Abrahamic cults are all based, does not preach peace, he preaches intolerance, revenge, retribution and punishment. Subsequent modifications may have sought to moderate that message to a more or less degree but the underlying dualistic principle of all these cults remains--"our religion (insert your own "our") is the only one that is right and if everyone else has to die to prove it, so be it." It is hard to see how a hate-based monotheism could result in anything else.

There should be no place for this in the world. Fine if you want to go and worship trees or fairies at the bottom of your garden or meditate on the Buddha, but the Abrahamic cults are a menace.

there also many so-called christians who say "kill all them arabs, jews and gays"

Which is kind of like QED, isn't it? As long as people subscribe to cults that define by difference--us and them-- this is inevitable, no one of these cults is better than the other.

Dino Velvet
04-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Muslims don't eat pork so at least they're not cannibals.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/DinoVelvet/Owned-Burn_the_flag.gif

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/DinoVelvet/1233278982132.jpg

2009AD
04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/DinoVelvet/1233278982132.jpg

wtf does Obama have to do with this thread? You drunk again?

thx1138
04-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Religion is just another excuse for the homicidal to perpetrate the worst imaginable acts on their fellow humans.

tstv_lover
04-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I think this should be in another forum

MacShreach
04-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Religion is just another excuse for the homicidal to perpetrate the worst imaginable acts on their fellow humans.

Damn, THX, you and I agree about something.....

jaycanuck
04-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Agreed, all religion is the poison of our society. It stifles human progression, holds back free thinking, and is a form of mind control. However, with that said. I've personally never seen such a religion used in such a manipulative way. Islam is truly a infective plague of society.

/2cents

My goodness Slip. I have to disagree. Check Catholicism. The Pope has most of the world believing you'll go to a firey pit of misery if you put a piece of rubber on your cock.

MacShreach
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM

/2cents

My goodness Slip. I have to disagree. Check Catholicism. The Pope has most of the world believing you'll go to a firey pit of misery if you put a piece of rubber on your cock.

Well, not quite "most" but the point is very well made-- all of these cults are as bad as each other. We happen to be seeing Islam at a time when it is displaying a very defensive face, at least on the part of some; yet Islam has produced some of the greatest cultures. We would not have mathematics or astronomy but for Islamic culture and if we were to go back only a couple of hundred years we would see Christian cultures burning and torturing "witches." And please note these events were happening after the "reformation" of the Christian churches.

The Abrahamic cults are all equally bad; anyone who identifies as Christian who at the same time condemns Islam, is frankly a laughing-stock. (I don't mean you.)

Faldur
04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Name one islamic country where women have rights? Where gays are not hunted down and either locked up or worse.

Name one Christian country where that can be said.

Islam's belief that women are to be subservient, and sub human is appauling. If the religion continues to grow at the rate it is.. we will no longer need to worry about gay marraige being legal, because we wont have any gays to fight for there rights. We will no longer need to be concerned for equal rights for women in the work force, because there wont be any.

MacShreach
04-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Name one islamic country where women have rights? Where gays are not hunted down and either locked up or worse.

Islam's belief that women are to be subservient, and sub human is appauling. If the religion continues to grow at the rate it is.. we will no longer need to worry about gay marraige being legal, because we wont have any gays to fight for there rights. We will no longer need to be concerned for equal rights for women in the work force, because there wont be any.

This is not a difference of principle, it's a difference of 100 years or so.

FACT: Women were not allowed to vote in the UK until the 1920's, and even then the age of suffrage was far higher than for men; IDK what the equivalent for the States is, someone can perhaps enlighten

FACT: sodomy was a criminal offence in the UK until 1967, and I believe it still is in some States of the US, though I am not sure. Certainly was till recently.

FACT: Males caught engaging in sodomy were hanged in the UK until the early 19th C.

FACT: Until very recently, in the UK, a woman was legally regarded as part of her husband's chattels when she married, and had to promise "honour and obey" him, while the man had ot promise to "love and protect." Interesting difference, no? I understand that the same wording us still used by some US religious cults.

FACT: Not all Muslims indulge in polygamy--and in any case this is still current amongst certain cults in the US

I do not for one moment dispute that there are some very bad things in Muslim culture-- my point is that these are the very same things the Christian west did, from hanging prostitutes and homosexuals to torturing "witches" to capital punishment for theft, until really very recently, and that this does not mark Muslim culture out as intrinsically uncivilised, but as having progressed more slowly.

Now how do you suppose we are going to help the many, many moderate and progressive thinkers in the Muslim world? By telling them that the cause is hopeless, that their culture is intrinsically evil?

Now if you are arguing that ALL religion should be got rid of, I'm right with you, but Islam is no more or less fundamentally evil than Christian culture; it just suits certain people to make it appear so.

dabaldone
04-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Religion in general is a fucked up notion. Period. Muslim, Christianity, Judiasm...right up there with Scientology and Wicca. Religion is bad period. It's an invention by man. It's held back humanity by countless years.

That being said...me thinks your views that all Muslims are "nutjobs" is a little harsh and you should ask yourself how many people Bush killed in the name of our Lord. Too soon? Check the crusades.... The spanish inquisition. Get real my friend.

Anything that man touches he corrupts. Spirtuality and a connection to God is better that following the insane rules of religions that were written two mellinia ago. All those who follow Islam don't beleive in fundamentalist crap.As far as Christian nutjobs, check Tim McVeigh.

tao1kiku
04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
In every religion the ones who get the media attention are the extremists. And simply due to himan nature there will always be extremism in anything from religion to even exercise/physical fitness to eating.

Part of the solution is the separattion of Church from State - true separation! Even the USA can't quite do this - look at how many presidents cite God in their speeches.

jaycanuck
04-25-2009, 06:21 PM

This is not a difference of principle, it's a difference of 100 years or so.

FACT: Women were not allowed to vote in the UK until the 1920's, and even then the age of suffrage was far higher than for men; IDK what the equivalent for the States is, someone can perhaps enlighten

FACT: sodomy was a criminal offence in the UK until 1967, and I believe it still is in some States of the US, though I am not sure. Certainly was till recently.

FACT: Males caught engaging in sodomy were hanged in the UK until the early 19th C.

FACT: Until very recently, in the UK, a woman was legally regarded as part of her husband's chattels when she married, and had to promise "honour and obey" him, while the man had ot promise to "love and protect." Interesting difference, no? I understand that the same wording us still used by some US religious cults.

FACT: Not all Muslims indulge in polygamy--and in any case this is still current amongst certain cults in the US

+1 You beat me to the historic points. Good stuff.

jaycanuck
04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
In general organized religion is a bad thing. I suggest watching Religulous. Very good film.

kittyKaiti
04-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Are they all fucking nuts there.......
or is it just the Musliums or how ever you spell the crazy fucks name.
I don't care what anyone says a religion that preaches that shit is doomed.
Fucking Sick Twisted Fucks...
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As much as I hate Islam, and all religion for that matter, this belongs in the Politics & Religion section. It isn't hard to figure that out.

irvin66
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM
מזדיינת מוסלמים, הם צריכים למות!

tao1kiku
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Derfinitely belongs in the politics and religion section. And this is an issue that will never be resolved (saying one religion is worse or better than another).

Kinda like having people agree on what is the perfect pizza - to each their own.

russtafa
04-26-2009, 06:43 AM
i feel sorry for non musslims in any area where they are.sudanese ,philippinos,indonesia,middle east,gays .the bomb would solve the problem

2009AD
04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
i feel sorry for non musslims in any area where they are.sudanese ,philippinos,indonesia,middle east,gays .the bomb would solve the problem

Wonderfully stupid comment. Congrats. lol

jaycanuck
04-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I didn't know there was a religion section...perhaps this should go there.

And Russtafa.. that's uncalled for.

BLKGSXR
04-26-2009, 08:41 AM
thread is worthless...Just another racist trying to belittle the people of the world....

russtafa
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM
so is what is done to the [unbelevers] in the areas they invaid when they slaughter them and rape them .what a great religion .the only religion i think that has any merit is budism it is a truly peace loveing religion.and excuse my spelling please

Silcc69
04-26-2009, 05:23 PM
My viewpoint on religion. People were created to entertain the many gods and that is all they do is eat popcorn and watch us bicker. Then one day will end up killing each other to prove which religion is the most dominant. :lol:

AishaX
04-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I am neither surprised to see such a thread, nor to see so many in it endorse "hating islam" without blinking.

I can recall a time where threads like this popped up in General discussion like dandelions in a vacant lot on the west side of Chicago. It would almost certainly score points with someone or the other. Blatant islamophobia was just totally acceptable.

At least now some here see the folly in singling out any one religion for such condemnation. As well as the mistake in taking what you see on CNN, perpetrated by a handful as being indicative of the whole (To day there was a thread about the CL killer and how it seems colored people get the blame for what one person in our number does, but a cooky white man does not create the same response.)

The qr'an says. "To you is your way and to me is mine." (sura 109 Al-Kafirun, verse 6)

You don't want to believe what I believe fine, but if you try to force disbelief on people, or rag on people for believing in god, and being spirtual, you are just as bad as the fundamentalist.

scroller
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
so is what is done to the [unbelevers] in the areas they invaid when they slaughter them and rape them .what a great religion .the only religion i think that has any merit is budism it is a truly peace loveing religion.and excuse my spelling please

Spelling is a pretty good approximation for how well you think. 8 errors I can immediately count above (about 2 per sentence).

yosi
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
I am neither surprised to see such a thread, nor to see so many in it endorse "hating islam" without blinking.

I can recall a time where threads like this popped up in General discussion like dandelions in a vacant lot on the west side of Chicago. It would almost certainly score points with someone or the other. Blatant islamophobia was just totally acceptable.

At least now some here see the folly in singling out any one religion for such condemnation. As well as the mistake in taking what you see on CNN, perpetrated by a handful as being indicative of the whole (To day there was a thread about the CL killer and how it seems colored people get the blame for what one person in our number does, but a cooky white man does not create the same response.)

The qr'an says. "To you is your way and to me is mine." (sura 109 Al-Kafirun, verse 6)

You don't want to believe what I believe fine, but if you try to force disbelief on people, or rag on people for believing in god, and being spirtual, you are just as bad as the fundamentalist.

just a question to you , please answer honestly:

you yourself quoted : "The qr'an says. "To you is your way and to me is mine." (sura 109 Al-Kafirun, verse 6) "

why don't you , the majority of the normal good muslims , don't do anything to condemn a death penalty to Salman Rushdi , who only wrote his opinion , it IS a democratic world , nothing more , or riots all over europe because of a funny drawing in a danish newpaper?

if you didn't know anything about muslims , what would YOU think about these riots , especialy when you never hear the sane muslims , like yourself?

jaycanuck
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
why don't you , the majority of the normal good muslims , don't do anything to condemn a death penalty to Salman Rushdi , who only wrote his opinion , it IS a democratic world , nothing more , or riots all over europe because of a funny drawing in a danish newpaper?

I shouldn't be furthering this..but I hate to say this is nitpicking on 1 example given on one religious text. Here's another major one that shows the flaw in all of this fairy land talk.

Christianity / Judiaism - The 6th commandment.. you shall not murder

Qur'an - And do not take any human being's life - that God willed to be sacred - other than in [the pursuit of] justice.

Well then in that case we're all going to whatever fictional no no land you want to believe in.. because lets face it...if these texts and events were even real, we've been paying lip service for some time now.....but they aren't real...so really we're just savages killing.

SarahG
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM

/2cents

I agree, to say nothing of other forms of birth control. The church is so fast to condemn people for using birth control, but so slow to help them when they end up with more children then they can care for (children they wouldn't have had had they used birth control). What was that one Mother Teresa quote regarding poverty? Was something to the effect of, it doesn't matter if they're impoverished, starving and in pain- all that matters is whether or not they find this so-called religion?

Charity work seems disingenuous when helping people isn't the primary objective. To use a historic example, during the potato famine the protestant churches that setup soap kitchens in Ireland demanded the needy say protestant prayers before getting food, the hope was that it would be a tool for converting people away from Catholicism. But in practice it meant people were left with the choice between ether accepting the aid (and being outcast from their towns, losing all family, friend, and business ties), or starving (while maintaining family, friend and business ties). To use a modern example, all those evangelical missionaries in Africa and South America, they're not there to feed the needy- they're there to "distribute the message" (whatever the hell that means), if it helps people in a process its only by accident.

rcatf
04-27-2009, 10:42 AM
All of the JCI (Judeo/Christian/Islam) religeons teach peace at their core .

That's simply not true. The god of the Old Testament, upon whose hate the Abrahamic cults are all based, does not preach peace, he preaches intolerance, revenge, retribution and punishment. Subsequent modifications may have sought to moderate that message to a more or less degree but the underlying dualistic principle of all these cults remains--"our religion (insert your own "our") is the only one that is right and if everyone else has to die to prove it, so be it." It is hard to see how a hate-based monotheism could result in anything else.

There should be no place for this in the world. Fine if you want to go and worship trees or fairies at the bottom of your garden or meditate on the Buddha, but the Abrahamic cults are a menace.

there also many so-called christians who say "kill all them arabs, jews and gays"

Which is kind of like QED, isn't it? As long as people subscribe to cults that define by difference--us and them-- this is inevitable, no one of these cults is better than the other.

Generally I agree w/ your points. My post was a gut repsonse to blaming a specific religeon at large for the worlds ills. The particular area of the J/C/I tradition I was raised in encouraged questioning of faith so I don't don't see monotheism as quite so inherantly problematic but can see the problems it's created. I think the beliefe in something greater than the indidvidual is not in and of itself bad or evil but it does always have the potential to be exploited when organised or forced on people...as does any rule of law (unfortunately anarchy hasn't proved a successful group survival model)...

I understand your points about organised religeon...but human nature is to seek answers (intellectually) and to survive (animalistically)...be it the force, karma or god's will...folks will find an excuse to fight over territory and resources to justify animal behavior.

ALLOSHn70
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Guys COME ON ..

Religions always the best systematic way to guide

people to do what is best for their own good and the
society around. IF .... They stick with what the

religion letterly says.

And i personelly think that if muslims applied

classic islam in each aspect of thier lives they will,

they will make a perfect example of peaceful

happy simple life.

that's what my further reading about islam reflects.

SarahG
04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
religion letterly says.

Do you mean literally?

I think there's enough evidence to show that's a bad, bad idea.

Just look at the christian fundamentalists, the islamic fundamentalists, and everyone else who tries to take their holy texts 100% literal.

I guess that means it was a mistake to outlaw human sacrifice, a mistake to end slavery, and a mistake to even consider evolution is possible...

Jericho
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM
If you follow the bible/koran letter for letter the world will be a better place.
If you follow the bible/koran letter for letter the world will be a worse place.
If you pick and choose from the bible/koran you will make the world a better place
If you pick and choose from the bible/koran you will make the world a worse place
If you're poor, cold and alone, the bible/koran is a source of comfort
If you're poor, cold and alone, the bible/koran is a source of vengence

If think for yourself, the bible/koran is naught but superstition, and the world is what you make it.

trish
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Every reading of a text is an interpretation, especially texts as vague as religious texts. I seriously doubt there can be anything close to universal agreement as to just what is the unique literal reading of the Koran, the Bible or the Torah. For starters, it’s rarely clear whom the texts are addressing; the book of Leviticus delineates the proscriptions the Lord as placed upon the Levites. A looser interpretation would allow that Leviticus maps out the covenant between God and the Israelites. It’s more than a bit presumptuous to take Leviticus as God’s plan for twent[y] first century Christendom. “You shall not lie with a male as one would with a woman,” is addressed only to males. Evidently there is no prohibition against lesbianism. Moreover, the author is too shy to say what he means literally. He speaks figuratively and forces us into a figurative interpretation. It would seem that literally Leviticus would have us use different positions lying with men then those we use when lying with women.

It seems to me one gets better moral instruction from reading the deliberate ambiguities in Plato’s Republic than from reading any of the pretentious writings in the Judeo/Christian/Islamic tradition that inevitably presume (while denying it) to know every detail of God’s will.

[edits in square brackets]

Jericho
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
It seems to me one gets better moral instruction from reading the deliberate ambiguities in Plato’s Republic than from reading any of the pretentious writings in the Judeo/Christian/Islamic tradition that inevitably presume (while denying it) to know every detail of God’s will.

And ye shall see it on the eighth day and tremble, Trish/Lilith hath horns!

trish
04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
And the walls of Jericho came tumblin' down,
tumblin' down,
tumblin' dow-ow-ow-owwwn.
Or somethin' like that. :wink:

Distance
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
What amazes me the most is the propension of certain religious minorities, which, once settled, will use terror to force in their own beliefs on local population. That stands as much for Jewish settlers in Palestine or Islamic minorities in Europe, for example.

Or the US, supposedly a seculiar country...''with god on its side'' even during the president's intronization. As much as I support Obama, I really had to laugh at this. I remember when the US invaded Iraq...the name of that mission then was ''infinite justice". Luckily they changed it...too bad they didn't change the 'rest'. :roll:

If you are an agnostic (or simply fair minded), then you might as well not believe in the rather simplistic and manichean ''good'' and ''evil''. Black or white. Good christianity Vs Bad Islam. See below:

Al-Qaida founder blasts successor bin Laden for 'immoral terror'
By Yossi Melman, Haaretz Correspondent

One of Al-Qaida's founders, Sayyid Imam al-Sharif, has waged a harsh verbal attack on the terrorist organization's leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Sharif's criticism of the Al-Qaida ideology and the failures of its leadership have unleashed a heated debate within the global Jihad movement and it has been publicized in several western media outlets.

Sharif, who is serving a life sentence in a Cairo prison, recently wrote, "Every drop of blood that was shed or is being shed in Afghanistan and Iraq is the responsibility of bin Laden and Zawahiri and their followers."

The Al-Qaida figurehead also said called the September 11 terror attacks immoral and counterproductive.

"Ramming America has become the shortest road to fame and leadership among the Arabs and Muslims," wrote Sharif, who also goes by the nom de guerre Dr. Fadl. "But what good is it if you destroy one of your enemy's buildings, and he destroys one of your countries? What good is it if you kill one of his people, and he kills a thousand of yours? That, in short, is my evaluation of 9/11."

Sharif also criticizes Muslims who move to the West only to perpetrate terror attacks in their adopted countries. "If they gave you permission to enter their homes and live with them, and if they gave you security for yourself and your money, and if they gave you the opportunity to work or study, or they granted you political asylum" wrote Sharif, then it is "not honorable" to "betray them, through killing and destruction."

According to Reuven Paz, an expert on Islamist movements, Sharif is considered one of the leading ideologues within the Egyptian group that cultivated Jihad starting in the 1970s.

djsammyjay
04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm ready for people to be done with religion already, let go of these bronze age beliefs, Yes it is engrained into our culture, but I was an every sunday christian when I was a kid, then I did something smart I opened a science book, became a physics major looked at the universe and how it actually came into being its about a million times more complex than the bibles explanation, enjoy your life, dont base your morals and beliefs around some made up story from 2000 years ago. Just wasting your time arguing about imaginary things that don't exist. Man does not know what will happen after we die and we don't know what made the universe, We do know it came from one central point a solid point of matter "a big bang" where everything has been expanding for hundreds of billions of years" but what caused that matter to exist is a mystery, and a God isn't an excuse for it, thats just as silly as the Greeks belief in Zeus and his power to create lightning, Zeus doesn't create lightning, we know a scientific explanation for it, there is a logical explanation of everything in the universe, religion is silly and outdated.

Jericho
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
And the walls of Jericho came tumblin' down,
tumblin' down,
tumblin' dow-ow-ow-owwwn.
Or somethin' like that. :wink:

Guess that's means i'm naked before you! (smirk) :wink:

macjay18
04-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Extremism in any religion can be a dodgey but religion as most of us know or will find out is an essential part of our society whether we like it or not or whether we use it or not. Churches in our area are teaching duality- taking science and christianity into perspective....
I wont dwell on the biblical side of things but the amount of support that the church gives it members and even others that arent members is amazing. We had a house fire 8 years back and lost nearly everything and the Salvation army were there to clothe us, feed us and found us temp accom. I will never ever forget that! The sense of community or being in a sort of extended family in a church is so important, we have a word in our country called 'awhi' which means 'to support' or kinship- which can be lost in large sprawling cities where you feel like a small fish in a big sea!

MacShreach
04-28-2009, 01:02 AM

That's lovely.

10th letter
05-01-2009, 12:48 AM

hahaha, obviously youve never heard of the word "proportion"

thx1138
05-01-2009, 03:10 AM
http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/30/churchgoers-more-likely-to-back-torture-survey-finds/

thx1138
05-01-2009, 03:12 AM
because of the gay marriage issue: http://www.americablog.com/2009/04/mormon-leader-of-nom-seemed-to-advocate.html

circ
05-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Why isn't this topic under I don't know.. Politics and RELIGION?

Alyssa87
05-01-2009, 03:25 AM
HEY YOU GUYS...

As great as it is to spew judgemental comments and all, its cool to sometimes be knowldgeable about issues before you speak on them.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Went-Wrong-Between-Modernity/dp/0060516054/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241140742&sr=8-1

An awesome book i've read, and sometimes go back to is
What Went Wrong?
The Clash Between Islam and Modernity in the Middle East.
By Bernard Lewis
http://jworld.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/006051605401lzzzzzzz-bernard-lewis-what-went-wrong-end.jpg

It explains a lot. I think it could help people to almost feel pity for many Middle-Eastern Islamic people.
The mindset that is indoctrinated into every one of them from birth through death is often inescapable . While it doesnt excuse radical and violent Muslims, it does explain how many become that way. its rather sad.

Alyssa87
05-01-2009, 03:33 AM
I'm ready for people to be done with religion already, let go of these bronze age beliefs, Yes it is engrained into our culture, but I was an every sunday christian when I was a kid, then I did something smart I opened a science book, became a physics major looked at the universe and how it actually came into being its about a million times more complex than the bibles explanation, enjoy your life, dont base your morals and beliefs around some made up story from 2000 years ago. Just wasting your time arguing about imaginary things that don't exist. Man does not know what will happen after we die and we don't know what made the universe, We do know it came from one central point a solid point of matter "a big bang" where everything has been expanding for hundreds of billions of years" but what caused that matter to exist is a mystery, and a God isn't an excuse for it, thats just as silly as the Greeks belief in Zeus and his power to create lightning, Zeus doesn't create lightning, we know a scientific explanation for it, there is a logical explanation of everything in the universe, religion is silly and outdated.

-i like this guy^