PDA

View Full Version : Kolchak-"The Night Stalker" is back, on abc tonigh

chefmike
09-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Yes, Carl Kolchak "The Night Stalker"...the bumbling, corny chicago reporter....reruns on scifi and other channels...apparently they're bringing back the Barney Fife of the horror genre, on a new series pilot...on abc 9 eastern time tonight...if it's the same guy he's gotta be pushin 70...classic tv for sure

Spiderman
09-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Another lame remake the original one was very good for its short tv run!

chefmike
09-29-2005, 11:25 PM
most remakes are lame, granted...but I'll reserve my opinion until I've seen it...certainly sounds a lot more interesting than the movie/tv remakes that are prevalent lately....

Spiderman
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
most remakes are lame, granted...but I'll reserve my opinion until I've seen it...certainly sounds a lot more interesting than the movie/tv remakes that are prevalent lately....

Dude you see the tv spot for the new show it looks to fringing serious!

scavenger
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
I hope it doesn't end up to be a X-Files clone. The producer and director both did the X-Files.

McGavin isnt in this. Its an all new cast.

Dave

Spiderman
09-29-2005, 11:45 PM
I hope it doesn't end up to be a X-Files clone. The producer and director both did the X-Files.

McGavin isnt in this. Its an all new cast.

Dave

If you watch the original show you would say x-files copy it!

BlackAdder
09-29-2005, 11:52 PM
ALOT of shows drew inspiration from the The Night Stalker.....and the new show looks to be very X-files-espue...which isnt a bad thing if its even a hair as good as X-files was...

New cast and hopefully none of the corniness.....I would think theyve done there homework...corny doesnt make it in Scifi these days.....Bruce Campbell excluded:)

Spiderman
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
ALOT of shows drew inspiration from the The Night Stalker.....and the new show looks to be very X-files-espue...which isnt a bad thing if its even a hair as good as X-files was...

New cast and hopefully none of the corniness.....I would think theyve done there homework...corny doesnt make it in Scifi these days.....Bruce Campbell excluded:)

'Hail to the king" Bruce Campbell Evil Dead

Quinn
09-30-2005, 12:20 AM
'Hail to the king" Buce Campbell Evil Dead

I have to agree. I actually saw Evil Dead II before I saw Evil Dead. The first time I saw it, I was only sixteen. I remember laughing so hard that I had tears running down my face. Definitely the type of move that you see with a few friends and some alcohol.

-Quinn

Spiderman
09-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Quinn do you see The Man with the sreaming brain?

Felicia Katt
09-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Darrin McGavin is now 83 years old now and hasn't been on tv in several years. The Night Stalker was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. and Kolchak was just about my favorite character. I used to stay up late and watch it when they did re-runs on Friday nites. If the new show is even half as good as the original, it will be worth watching.

FK

chefmike
09-30-2005, 02:43 AM
yep...makes me wish my old' 'shroomin buddies were in town...I'd cook up a spinach, pancetta, goat cheese, and magic mushroom pizza...ah...the good old days...

hondarobot
09-30-2005, 03:38 AM
CRAAAAAP! This is not the Night Stalker.

The old show's appeal, like all good shows, was cool, real characters in addition to crazy stories.

Carl Kolchak was a great character. A middle aged frustrated reporter who kept running across increadibly bizarre situations, and nobody wanted to listen to or believe him. He spent the whole series beating his head against a wall, but still doing the right thing and taking out the monster by the end of the episode. His crazy arguments with the fat, gruff editor guy were frequently the best part of the show.

This new series is all slick, "Let's sell this fucker!" bullshit and just getting a bunch of kids their SAG card crap. So many great ideas have been ruined lately. It sucks. Hard to sell a good story these days.

Just my take on things so far, the show could take a turn for the better.

Quinn
09-30-2005, 04:03 AM

Spiderman,

No, and I don't have an even remotely acceptable excuse as to why? I definitely want to see it though. That goofy thing he recently did with the aliens was really funny, so I figure The Man with the Screaming Brain should be as well. What did you think of it?

-Quinn

Spiderman
09-30-2005, 04:04 AM

The old show's appeal, like all good shows, was cool, real characters in addition to crazy stories.

Carl Kolchak was a great character. A middle aged frustrated reporter who kept running across increadibly bizarre situations, and nobody wanted to listen to or believe him. He spent the whole series beating his head against a wall, but still doing the right thing and taking out the monster by the end of the episode. His crazy arguments with the fat, gruff editor guy were frequently the best part of the show.

This new series is all slick, "Let's sell this fucker!" bullshit and just getting a bunch of kids their SAG card crap. So many great ideas have been ruined lately. It sucks. Hard to sell a good story these days.

Dude i watch like 10 minutes of it and it was crap nothing like the original!

Spiderman
09-30-2005, 04:06 AM

Spiderman,

No, and I don't have an even remotely acceptable excuse as to why? I definitely want to see it though. That goofy thing he recently did with the aliens was really funny, so I figure The Man with the Screaming Brain should be as well. What did you think of it?

-Quinn

It was pretty funny and in my opinion worth watching as it is bruce's director debut!

hondarobot
09-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Holy crap, I had no idea "Ash" did this and haven't seen the movie yet.

"'Man with the Screaming Brain' is a story of greed, betrayal and revenge in a small Bulgarian town"

Who wouldn't like that? I did read Bruce Cambells book, on doing the early stuff with Raimi. Good stuff.

GroobySteven
09-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Darrin McGavin was in an episode of the "X Files" playing the same role as Carl Kolchak. It was pretty cool episode as Mulder recognised the man he was to become in later years, in him. I think for legal reasons they couldn't keep the same character name.

Darrin McGavin's best role ever though was as the father in "The Christmas Story" the scene where the neighbourhood dogs eat his much coveted turkey, is priceless.
seanchai

Spiderman
09-30-2005, 04:36 AM
I know the is off topic but did you guys know there are gonna remake Evil dead guess who is gonna play ash, no other then asthon kusher,LOL what a joke!

hondarobot
09-30-2005, 04:45 AM
"Christmas Story" is classic. And nobody's going to remake Evil Dead because I will rent an airplane and drop bombs on the set if they try something that stupid.

So just forget about it.

:)

Spiderman
09-30-2005, 04:48 AM
"Christmas Story" is classic. And nobody's going to remake Evil Dead because I will rent an airplane and drop bombs on the set if they try something that stupid.

So just forget about it.

:)

its already planned man look at this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434020/

GroobySteven
09-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Ashton Kutchner??? I feel like crying.
Did someone just put this up as a joke?
seanchai

Spiderman
09-30-2005, 04:56 AM
No joke seanchai sam rami all ready confirmed it, by ashton give me a break all he can say is dude wheres my car!

hondarobot
09-30-2005, 04:57 AM
I'm not even going to click the link. Evil Dead 1 and 2 were nearly perfect movies, for different reasons. Great little horror movies. Any remakes will most likely sink quickly, so who cares? I'll check it out, but suckisness is very much likely.

Not related to any Ashton Kutcher projects or remakes in general, but I did actually like the "Dawn Of The Dead" remake. It didn't try to take on the original, just ended up being a pretty fun, cool movie.

chefmike
09-30-2005, 09:45 PM

I agree. I was completely UNDERwhelmed! I don't think I've seen that x-files episode seanchai mentioned, with McGavin, I"ll have to look for it in reruns. As for Christmas Story, I must have seen that at least twenty times.

http://www.chiefbloggingofficer.com/images/thmpson-never-weird-enough.jpg