PDA

View Full Version : Happy Easter/Happy Sunday

marcelloNYC
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
To all the members who celebrate—Happy Easter!

To those who don't Have a Happy Sunday!

:D

jjhill
04-12-2009, 04:13 PM
To all the members who celebrate—Happy Easter!

To those who don't Have a Happy Sunday!

:D

With that I reply Happy Easter!

praetor
04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Happy Easter!!!

phobun
04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Happy Sunday.

The pagan origins of Easter:

http://www.history.com/content/easter/pagan-origins

Pagan Origins
Easter, a Christian festival, embodies many pre-Christian traditions. The origin of its name is unknown. Scholars, however, accepting the derivation proposed by the 8th-century English scholar St. Bede, believe it probably comes from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon name of a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility, to whom was dedicated a month corresponding to April. Her festival was celebrated on the day of the vernal equinox; traditions associated with the festival survive in the Easter rabbit, a symbol of fertility, and in colored easter eggs, originally painted with bright colors to represent the sunlight of spring, and used in Easter-egg rolling contests or given as gifts.
Such festivals, and the stories and legends that explain their origin, were common in ancient religions. A Greek legend tells of the return of Persephone, daughter of Demeter, goddess of the earth, from the underworld to the light of day; her return symbolized to the ancient Greeks the resurrection of life in the spring after the desolation of winter. Many ancient peoples shared similar legends. The Phrygians believed that their omnipotent deity went to sleep at the time of the winter solstice, and they performed ceremonies with music and dancing at the spring equinox to awaken him.
The Christian festival of Easter probably embodies a number of converging traditions; most scholars emphasize the original relation of Easter to the Jewish festival of Passover, or Pesach, from which is derived Pasch, another name for Easter. The early Christians, many of whom were of Jewish origin, were brought up in the Hebrew tradition and regarded Easter as a new feature of the Passover festival, a commemoration of the advent of the Messiah as foretold by the prophets.

jjhill
04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Happy Sunday.

The pagan origins of Easter:

http://www.history.com/content/easter/pagan-origins

Pagan Origins
Easter, a Christian festival, embodies many pre-Christian traditions. The origin of its name is unknown. Scholars, however, accepting the derivation proposed by the 8th-century English scholar St. Bede, believe it probably comes from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon name of a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility, to whom was dedicated a month corresponding to April. Her festival was celebrated on the day of the vernal equinox; traditions associated with the festival survive in the Easter rabbit, a symbol of fertility, and in colored easter eggs, originally painted with bright colors to represent the sunlight of spring, and used in Easter-egg rolling contests or given as gifts.
Such festivals, and the stories and legends that explain their origin, were common in ancient religions. A Greek legend tells of the return of Persephone, daughter of Demeter, goddess of the earth, from the underworld to the light of day; her return symbolized to the ancient Greeks the resurrection of life in the spring after the desolation of winter. Many ancient peoples shared similar legends. The Phrygians believed that their omnipotent deity went to sleep at the time of the winter solstice, and they performed ceremonies with music and dancing at the spring equinox to awaken him.
The Christian festival of Easter probably embodies a number of converging traditions; most scholars emphasize the original relation of Easter to the Jewish festival of Passover, or Pesach, from which is derived Pasch, another name for Easter. The early Christians, many of whom were of Jewish origin, were brought up in the Hebrew tradition and regarded Easter as a new feature of the Passover festival, a commemoration of the advent of the Messiah as foretold by the prophets.

Since I knew this was gonna happen. Easter to me is a day of remembrance, that God sent his son to die for my sins. All the eggs and stuff I can care less for now, but I enjoyed all those activities when I was a kid. When my kid come I hope they'll be able to do the same.

I'm just throwing that out there, I don't push my beliefs on no one, but I stake my claim.

phobun
04-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Catholics were not the only Christians who blamed the Jews for killing Jesus, but it is telling to note that the Roman church (with the exception of people like the Gibsons) only stopped officially blaming the Jews for killing Jesus in 1965.

Yet if Jesus had to die to atone the sin of humanity, is it not absurd to blame the Jews? Should god not be blamed for this human sacrifice?

Historically, anti-Jewish pogroms had a Christian flavor and were often conducted around Easter.

The New York Times printed a description of one such pogrom after Easter Sunday in 1903 (link here (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9E0DE2DD1F30E733A2575BC2A9629C946297D6CF)):

"The anti-Jewish riots in Kishinev, Bessarabia, are worse than the censor will permit to publish. There was a well laid-out plan for the general massacre of Jews on the day following the Orthodox Easter. The mob was led by priests, and the general cry, "Kill the Jews," was taken up all over the city. The Jews were taken wholly unaware and were slaughtered like sheep. The dead number 120 and the injured about 500. The scenes of horror attending this massacre are beyond description. Babies were literally torn to pieces by the frenzied and bloodthirsty mob. The local police made no attempt to check the reign of terror. At sunset the streets were piled with corpses and wounded. Those who could make their escape fled in terror, and the city is now practically deserted of Jews."

The Easter tradition is so holy.

Quiet Reflections
04-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Only Zombies Die and come back

trish
04-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Actually, I've been able to bring a few erections back to life during the course of a long evening.

Quiet Reflections
04-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Actually, I've been able to bring a few erections back to life during the course of a long evening.

There is no doubt in my mind that that is true. I stand corrected

fred41
04-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Only Zombies Die and come back

:D :D