PDA

View Full Version : G-20

Alyssa87
04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Do you see these protesters?! YIKES.
Getting more and more hectic.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/europe/04/01/g20.london.protests/art.police.cnn.jpg http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/europe/04/01/g20.london.protests/protest.jpg
More are coming, but they say it probably wont turn violent.
Mostly environmental campaigners and Anti-Capitalists.

On a lighter note, i'm watching Obama's Press conference with Gordon Brown. I can sense a stark difference in this room.
They're lovin' him!
He is undoing anti-American sentiment in Europe and beyond. This makes me very happy.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/europe/04/01/g20.london.obama.brown/t1home.obama.brown.gi.jpg
Sadly, i think he sounds a little stuffy and his eyes are a bit cloudy. I think he has a cold :?

www.cnn.com
For all day updates : )

flabbybody
04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I was watching the coverage of the protests on CNBC and of course the talking heads on that show just don't get it. The people in the streets are not nutty anarchists. They seem to be regular folks that are fed up with the rich money boys in New York and London who have totally screwed up and don't seem to have to pay for any of their crimes. I think these kinds of reactions are going to get a lot worse as time goes by.

Alyssa87
04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I was watching the coverage of the protests on CNBC and of course the talking heads on that show just don't get it. The people in the streets are not nutty anarchists. They seem to be regular folks that are fed up with the rich money boys in New York and London who have totally screwed up and don't seem to have to pay for any of their crimes. I think these kinds of reactions are going to get a lot worse as time goes by.

well some are to be fair.
A CNN UK field reporter was in the middle of the crowds.
She showed and spoke to different groups of people there.
The Anarchists certainly stand out :shock:

check out the video. theyre updating every few minutes.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/01/g20.london.protests/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

phobun
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
He is undoing anti-American sentiment in Europe and beyond. This makes me very happy.
Apart from the toadies in the room who are ready to sniff his throne, there are several European leaders, as well as Chinese and others, who oppose the damage he and the Fed are doing to the dollar, which functions as the international reserve currency. Platitudes and promises of change will only carry him so far when people around the world see their wealth being destroyed by an American spendthrift and his printing press.

Sadly, i think he sounds a little stuffy and his eyes are a bit cloudy. I think he has a cold :?
Sometimes when a person plays in the snow too much it can seem like they might be getting a cold.

Alyssa87
04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I would hardly call the world press and international journalists there today 'toadies'.
Most are highly educated and experienced.

phobun
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I would hardly call the world press and international journalists there today 'toadies'.
I bet the journalists hardly called on Obama though... they seem quite firm in their feelings for him. I agree though about 'toadies'... perhaps 'whores' is more appropriate.

Most are highly educated and experienced.
Many whores are.

Alyssa87
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
i see.

well have a nice day : )

bartholomeus
04-01-2009, 05:26 PM

well some are to be fair.
A CNN UK field reporter was in the middle of the crowds.
She showed and spoke to different groups of people there.
The Anarchists certainly stand out :shock:

check out the video. theyre updating every few minutes.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/01/g20.london.protests/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Why are you worried about the anarchists? Somebody has to protest.

Alyssa87
04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
im not worried.

and theyre in the minority of all the protestors.

flabbybody
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm wondering what the G20 leaders actually talk about at their meetings.

I can see all the heads of state turning to President Obama and saying 'ok bro, we finally got a US president we can stomach. now how you gonna fix the freakin mess we got ourselves into?'

Alyssa87
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
it got pretty ugly afterall :?

DeLuX
04-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Alyssa = naive

Alyssa87
04-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Alyssa = naive

Naive? Thats a first.

well thanks for summing me up, newbie.
take care.

mikejones
04-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Apart from the toadies in the room who are ready to sniff his throne, there are several European leaders, as well as Chinese and others, who oppose the damage he and the Fed are doing to the dollar, which functions as the international reserve currency. Platitudes and promises of change will only carry him so far when people around the world see their wealth being destroyed by an American spendthrift and his printing press.

Sometimes when a person plays in the snow too much it can seem like they might be getting a cold.

Obama and the Fed make decisions on the dollar based on what they believe will be best for the American economy. Protecting the wealth of the Chinese and other foreigners is not their concern. These people made a rational decision to invest in dollars and they are now free to make a rational decision to deinvest if they see a better option. No one is forcing them to hold dollars.

T Oracle
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Protesters at G20 = small news here. Bank window smashed in. Blah blah.

MISCHELLE OBAMA (MAN)HANDLING THE QUEEN. Didn't anyone brief her her???

And then when she pushed Phil out of the way for the photoshoot?

PS Recession? England v Ukraine in world cup qualifier tonight. Crowd? FULL HOUSE. Supporters from Ukraine? FULL HOUSE.

How are sports venues doing in your neck of the woods?

z_pool
04-02-2009, 03:34 AM
a guy was found dead amongst the crowd today...

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/04/01/g20-protests-london034.html?ref=rss

Oli
04-02-2009, 03:47 AM
I love Anarchists...I'd love to hear their vision of the Utopia they would replace the current system with.

phobun
04-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Obama and the Fed make decisions on the dollar based on what they believe will be best for the American economy. Protecting the wealth of the Chinese and other foreigners is not their concern. These people made a rational decision to invest in dollars and they are now free to make a rational decision to deinvest if they see a better option. No one is forcing them to hold dollars.
No, but Americans hold dollars, so the appeal to a beggar thy neighbor economic nationalism won't necessarily help people at home. Your naive perspective ignores the Americans who live on fixed incomes, especially the elderly, who are hurt the worst once an inflated currency leads to higher prices. Further, if prices begin to rise faster than incomes, a debased currency will hurt all Americans. And given the already drastically increased the money supply, coupled with the government's announced policy of quantitative easing, the potential for prices to rise is a real concern. An inflated currency will help spendthrift politicians by increasing the government's purchasing power in the short term while devaluing it's debt over the longer term, but ultimately at the expense of a reduction in everyone's wealth.

Keynes was spot-on about inflation:
“Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the capitalist system was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and, while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some. The sight of this arbitrary rearrangement of riches strikes not only at security, but at confidence in the equity of the existing distribution of wealth. Those to whom the system brings windfalls, beyond their deserts and even beyond their expectations or desires, become 'profiteers,' who are the object of the hatred of the bourgeoisie, whom the inflationism has impoverished, not less than of the proletariat. As the inflation proceeds and the real value of the currency fluctuates wildly from month to month, all permanent relations between debtors and creditors, which form the ultimate foundation of capitalism, become so utterly disordered as to be almost meaningless; and the process of wealth-getting degenerates into a gamble and a lottery.
Lenin was certainly right. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

Faldur
04-02-2009, 03:14 PM
When Anarchists organize how are they still Anarchists?

alyssats
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
why so much protestors in there? London is a big rich city of opportunity right? Many of my friends who have been there said you could easily be rich if you work hard there :?

Alyssa87
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
why so much protestors in there? London is a big rich city of opportunity right? Many of my friends who have been there said you could easily be rich if you work hard there :?

Mostly environmental campaigners and Anti-Capitalists.

read girl.

alyssats
04-02-2009, 07:25 PM
thanks for the clarification/info girl ;)

fred41
04-03-2009, 01:53 AM

Not mostly regular folks...never is at these things.

poolster
04-03-2009, 01:05 PM
i was there between 11am and 1pm Gmt (had an apointment at Barts couldnt get a bus home so i stuck around)

thx1138
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Break out the champagne and the pate de foie gras, creps suzette.

Faldur
04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
American President shows up at the G-20 and surrenders all American sovereignty.. dumps another trillion dollars that we have to print, (only after asking the Chinese for permission), a roaring success. I wouldnt want to be our grandchildren.

altarica
04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
A man is driving through Westminster when the G20 summit is on and gets stuck in a huge traffic jam.
A policeman comes over and taps on his window.
Rolling down the window, the man asks, "What's happening officer?"
The policeman replies. "A car Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling were travelling in swerved to avoid one of President Obamas outriders and hit an anti-terrorist bollard and caught fire, they are trapped inside it. We are taking a collection."
"How much would you like?" The man asks.
"Well," Says the policeman."most people are donating a gallon."

thx1138
04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
riot police attack peaceful protesters http://www.prisonplanet.com/unseen-footage-riot-police-attack-peaceful-protesters-at-g20.html