PDA

View Full Version : An interesting fact about the word seanchai

boondocksaint
03-25-2009, 05:38 AM
i'm in an irish studies class and in the class we study irish mythology and in gaelic seanchai means storyteller. anyone else find that interesting?

Bob's Tgirls
03-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Well, he is a good story teller. Although sometimes his Scottish accent gets a bit thick and I don't know what the hell he's saying. :))

TomSelis
03-25-2009, 06:10 AM
How exactly do you pronounce it?

Fox
03-25-2009, 07:25 AM

In my mind I've always pronounced it as "shawn-chii" (with an 'i' sound)

TomSelis
03-25-2009, 07:38 AM

In my mind I've always pronounced it as "shawn-chii" (with an 'i' sound)

See, I thought it was "Shawn-Ch'ai" like the tea. In east africa they have a spicy tea called chai and that's how u pronounce it.

Fox
03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
I think our pronunciation is the same, actually. I don't think I did a good job typing out what I meant lol.

TomSelis
03-25-2009, 08:16 AM
I think our pronunciation is the same, actually. I don't think I did a good job typing out what I meant lol.

Prolly, all I know is I'm gonna go out and buy a box of chai tommorrow. This thread made me thirsty.

GroobySteven
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Seean A Kai.
but the Latin girls call me Sunshine!

Castor_Troy05
03-29-2009, 05:06 AM
He's not scottish, he's from Newcastle, the Geordie accent does sometimes get confused for scots though I guess.

Also there is an Irish "rebel" hip-hop group also called seanchai, pronounced shawn-ah-key

Danielle Foxx
03-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Story Teller? Yu can say that again...

MacShreach
03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Story Teller? Yu can say that again...

Somewhat less flatteringly, but in this case irresistibly, it also means "old man.":lol: :lol: :lol: It has the other meaning because the old men of the village were traditionally the story-tellers.

Gaelic pronunciation is something like "Shaawn-uh-ch-eye" with the weight on the first and last syllables and "ch" as in "loch" not as in "lock." (Since you speak Portuguese you'll have no difficulty with the softened consonants.)

English speakers with no Gaelic always truncate the vowel sounds BTW, but every letter in a Gaelic word is there for a good reason. This may help if you ever get lost in the Gaeltacht and have to ask directions.......But then of course, Danielle, there would be no need for you to get lost as I would happily be your guide. :D