PDA

View Full Version : DILEMA TIME, WHAT NEW GUITAR TO GET !!!

LibertyHarkness
03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok so a non sex post for a change hehe

As some of you may know i am a complete metal and rock head ...XXXX and love my guitars anyway for being a such a good girl my mummy and daddy are treating me to a new toy yayy :)

So i am wanting a new guitar ... i have looked at the 2 guitars

Gibson SG Special, Zk WYlde ZV Custom love them both :)

Any opionons on these?

Libb xx

wombat33
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
FIRST ONE...............IT RULES!

SECOND ONE TOO 1980'S IMO

HOPE YOU DON'T MIND MY TWO CENTS HOTTIE

LibertyHarkness
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
cool cool, :) i love em both,, i know a SG has wicked sound to it, kelly has one from the stereophonics.. but that zak wylde is just mental looking lol

grrr i need both really - men where are you ????

Bohica
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Go with the SG. Its a gibson, the epiphone although its owned by gibson will always have the stigma of not being a real Gibson. Besides, the SG rocks everything from ACDC to fall out boy.

wombat33
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
How about this one???

LibertyHarkness
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
nice finish on it... yes i think the SG is better sounding most likely ...
though i have an epiphone les paul goth and its wicked ...

reddragon1981_2002
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Go with the SG, can never beat the classic. Good enough for Tony Iommi, so it should be awesome.

AllyK
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Definitely the SG. Its a more rockin' guitar! Unless you wanna be like Zakk and just stand around doing pinch harmonics. (I'm not knocking his playing... but thats all he does anymore lol).

gimmeurblood
03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Total metal nut here have to mention ibanez or if you cancindone a pre-fender Jackson. Both awesome. Mynext guitar will be the custom Doyle annhilator guitar from October guitars

Edit. Looks like the zakk Wylde already comes with Emgs stock. That would make my choice

the_corner
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
gibson

wjcdiver
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
The Gibson SG is a gorgeous guitar.

Only problem with Gibsons (which is also one of their advantages) is that the neck is glued on. Fender, and almost everybody else, screws the neck onto the body of the guitar.

This matters if you knock the guitar over, usually knocking it off a stand. The neck breaks off. You have to send it to the factory to fix. Get it back 3 months later, and it never quite sounds or plays the same again.

On a Fender they just bolt on a new neck.

Of course another option is to trade in your Epiphone Les Paul on a Gibson Les Paul and get a Strat or Tele. Which would leave you with a Fender and a Gibson.

thorn
03-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Between the Epiphone and the Gibson, the Gibson is the one to pick, assuming that money is not the issue. The Gibsons are still made in the US, while the Epi's are from Korea. The quality on the Epi is quite high (I have 4 myself), but still can't compare to the original Gibson. Better quality pickups on the stock models, but I think main difference is the feel of the neck and fingerboard. I'll play my Epi Dot or G-400 (their SG copy) and be pretty satisfied. Then I'll pick up one of my older Gibsons and say: "oh yeah, that's why ". Good luck (forget the cosmetics, go with quality.)

LibertyHarkness
03-23-2009, 08:15 PM
ok thanks for advice about neck :)

I am not really looking to get another fender, i have a telecaster already but just wanted something abit different ....

xx

grayonn
03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
One of the main issues with Epi's is the build quality can be very inconsitant. You can find Epi's (especially the Ultra- models) that are very, very nice and often are better in many ways than some low end Gibsons, but you really have to spend some time with the guitar to discover its 'details' so to speak.

What you'll be doing with the guitar is also a factor, but is something many players don't always consider. For live work, I'd say a Gibson wins hands down in almost every situation, but that's not to say an Epi can't be great as well. For recording work or home use (ie the guitar will rarely be subjected to the abuses of stage work) a good Epi can perform as well as any guitar. It's just been my experience that Gibsons last longer and take the rigors of live work a bit better.

Some high end Epis are nice though, and have some built-in features (at a much lower price) that are very useful for recording, such as NanoMAG pickups. Solid/hollow body choice is also a factor as well, but then again pickups, tuners etc etc. all play a big part too.

Of course, I'd be lying if I said I always have considered these factors when buying a guitar myself... in the end a cool looking guitar can be hard to resist :wink: . Since you have other guitars already, I'd say get a new one that is a bit different from what you have, just for a bit of versatility. One of my favorite acoustics is a piece of crap ancient Vibra that just plays well, and sounds good (in certain rooms at least). So ya never know.

In any case, have fun with whatever you get. 8)

msbhaven
03-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Since you already have the Tele, I would get the Gibson.

I'm not a big fan of the Epiphone or the crazy style guitars.

Ashlee

Caff_Racer
03-24-2009, 01:46 AM
What about one of these:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6120SHLTV_xl.jpg

Gretsch Brian Setzer Hotrod

Here's a little video of one in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvV4AUfeWw

mhlovestgirls
03-24-2009, 05:33 AM
If money isn't an issue, I would get one of these. A Jackson RR1, the original bad ass high performance metal guitar. I own a couple of these, and they are super high quality usa made, fast playing metal machines. Best purchase I ever made.

IGY
03-24-2009, 08:04 AM
In my opinion you should get a guitar as beautiful as you are. They also happen to play and sound phenomenal.

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom/colors.html

grayonn
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
In my opinion you should get a guitar as beautiful as you are. They also happen to play and sound phenomenal.

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom/colors.html

I agree, the PRS guitars are very nice and unfortunately aren't as well known as they should be by a lot of players. the stigma is that they're still regarded as 'copies', but I tend to think a lot of their Les Paul styled models play better than many Gibsons and they're very well built. I've recommended them to friends before, but a lot of people want to stick with a 'name' (which is understandable) but they're damn fine guitars.

LibertyHarkness
03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
thanks guys xxx

those Prs look nice ....and them mad looking ones above...

I am going to go with the Gibson SG i think :) and just save up and buy the other one myself lol... i like playing stuff by Muse, The STereophonics, The STrokes, AC DC etc ....

Paul_Ire
03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
martin or takamine, gibson sucks ass.

EaRSh0ot
03-25-2009, 03:24 AM
martin or takamine, gibson sucks ass.

those arent electrics, shes looking at electrics.

Id say go with one of these.....

LTD Eclipse Deluxe, On par with REAL gibsons,(non specials, Gibson specials are not that high quality, only reason they cost what they do is because they have the name, buy a quality korean guitar and itll play WAY better then the "gibson"), Has the Zack wylde type sound because of the EMG 81 in the bridge, But can do better cleans because it has the emg 60 in the neck. The neck is thinner than the SG so it might be easier to play. Really a GREAT guitar all around. But then again, doesnt matter what guitar you get, if you are playing thru a lil 15 watt peavey/fender/marshall its not gonna sound really good. Get your self a nice lower wattage Tube amp and a $600-$850 guitar and be amazed at the sound.

The light blue guitar is the one im talking about, this is my guitar setup.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/earsh0t/09-16-08_1421.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/earsh0t/09-16-08_1422.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/earsh0t/09-16-08_1423.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/earsh0t/09-16-08_1418.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/earsh0t/09-16-08_1420.jpg

altarica
03-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Derek Trucks plays an SG. That's a good enough reason for me.

redhotmailer
03-25-2009, 08:55 AM
From reading this thread, I am going to assume you are not a "surf guitar" kinda musician, but I have always had a soft spot for the Mosrite.

MacShreach
03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I wasn't going to get involved here but--Reality Check Time. Gibson has moved Epiphone production to China, so the Epi in the OP, if new, is not going to be Korean, but Chinese.

Having said that, I have had "quite" a few Korean guitars and only ONE, ever, was a keeper--a top-of-the-line Epi, and even that needed an electrics overhaul (it was new.) Chinese production will not have to do much to be better than Korean.

Modern Gibsons are factory guitars made on computerised machines, while old ones were workshop guitars made by hand. The difference is obvious if you can play guitar. However, modern Gibsons are good, solid, well-made, professional guitars. I have 3, one is an SG Spesh, no probs recommending that.

LibertyHarkness
03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
thanks for advice guys...

I am just going to go with teh Gibson as present and buy mself the other one... i am trying to build up a little selection i have a few guitars including one i made based on a prince cloud guitar which i tore apart a fender strat deluxe for parts... making another one in the style of a kaos manson ...

anyone own or played on a JT Resonator?

LibertyHarkness
03-25-2009, 03:55 PM
this is a kaos manson incase asks...

MacShreach
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
i am trying to build up a little selection

You can never have too many guitars, you know. Never.

If you like Pauls (not everyone does) you could do worse than see if you can find an early 80's Aria Pro ll "Leopard." These were made in Japan at Uncle Mat for the Japanese market only but they turn up on fleabay UK from time to time, sometimes for silly cheap for what they are. I paid 200 quid for mine and every time I pick it up I laugh--the price/quality ratio is just daft. Fact I think I'll go play it now.....

LibertyHarkness
04-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Ok thanks for tips etc guys xxx

I went with the Gibson SG Special :) have to wait to get it delivered now hehe .... I am thinking of doing something amusing for my youtube channel and doing weekly guitar lessons in a bikini :) thoughts ?

Yes i want lots of guitars when i get my new flat i want to line the walls with them so i need about 25 guitars lol ...

All donations welcome :)

Libby xx

IGY
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Even before the youtube videos perhaps you could post a picture of you and your new axe.

LibertyHarkness
04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Yes i can do that hun :)

I am doing some solo sets next week as well with a nice red fender as my prop :) they make good wanking devices hehe

Diavolo
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
THE SG

LibertyHarkness
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
ok here is a couple of pics with the fender, once SG is here will do a nice shoot/video with it...

I kinda like the stripeysocks with outfit on this,, makeup could have been alot better in hindsight..still this was a dummy run shoot :)

Now lets talk about Amps? Valve Amps?

Libby xx

dirty1002
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
the choise is to subjective for someone else to tell you witch one to buy you have to play them and see witch one fits you the best unless its just for show then it doesnt matter witch one you buy but for my money ibanez make some of the best playing guitars ever

IGY
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Nice pictures and look forward to seeing you with the SG. And as for the amp..... I'm a Marshall guy all the way, JCM800. Your Gibson would roar going through that and some Celestion speakers.

LibertyHarkness
04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
thanks xxx

mm thanks i will have a look on google at Celestion..#ta xx

Another pic posted ..

Nice pictures and look forward to seeing you with the SG. And as for the amp..... I'm a Marshall guy all the way, JCM800. Your Gibson would roar going through that and some Celestion speakers.

El Nino
04-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Very hot pics Liberty!!!

LibertyHarkness
04-09-2009, 01:31 AM
thanks el nino xx

LibertyHarkness
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
some new pics for my site :)

These are me with my handmade guitar i made with my dad :) yes there is a pattern forming my Dad makes stuff with me lol

Anyway i love this guitar its rather funky looking :)

Libby x