PDA

View Full Version : Drowning Child Goes Unaided - Tragic Turn for Sexual Predato

jackflash444
03-19-2009, 06:05 PM
The other day I was on reddit and I saw an article about Sexual Predator Paranoia (http://theirtoys.com/sexblog/sex-offender-paranoia-weve-gone-too-far.html)

The article gives 10 examples of how we've gone too far in trying to protect our kids from sexual predators. It is one thing to reduce risk and create laws that keep our kids safe, but its something completely different when those laws fuel an unfounded paranoia. I fear it is becoming one of those situations where we are doing more harm than good, but few realize it. I'd love to hear others thoughts on this.

Justawannabe
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Checking the sources on some of those took a while.

The saddest thing I've seen about a lot of these laws is that the residence requirements and public notification doesn't have any actual impact. People who are dangerous sexual predators are more than willing to travel great distances to find a victim. It is almost like the people writing these laws have not the most basic understanding of compulsive or predatory behavior.

Notification is even worse. In the rare cases where folks actually read the public notification sites or the local newspaper, they often have no idea what the terms mean.

Certain things in this culture are pretty out of balance.

We can't tell the difference between a violent criminal and childhood exploration. It's in a our drug laws, sex laws, finance laws.... we've stopped trying to do the 'right' thing, and started trying to punish those who break the law as written, as if there was virtue in that in and of itself rather than in the good that would result.