PDA

View Full Version : Utah kills another TG/Gay Rights Bill...

justatransgirl
03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – Businesses in Utah will continue to be allowed to fire someone for being gay.
A House committee voted down a bill 5-8 Feb. 18 that would have made discriminating against someone in the workplace based on sexual orientation or gender identity illegal.
House Bill 267 also would have made it illegal for landlords to discriminate against gay and transgender people.
Bill sponsor Rep. Christine Johnson, D-Salt Lake City, said the bill would not create hiring quotas and was in no way “inching toward” legalizing same-sex marriage.
“This is not a slippery slope,” she said. “This is a plateau.”
Under current state law, an individual can be fired just for being perceived as gay regardless of sexual orientation or identity.
Rep. Jackie Biskupski, D-Salt Lake City, said failing to have laws that would let individuals have their dignity at work and at home is “mind-boggling.”
Sue Rice, a small business owner in Salt Lake City, said that she’s “had it” that other businesses are able to discriminate against individuals based on such stereotypes.
“I share civil rights with my employees, and I think that all business owners should do it too,” she said.
Rep. Michael Morely, R-Spanish Fork, said that creating laws for “protected groups” take away rights from those who aren’t in such groups.
By creating more protected groups through legislation, Morely said that instead of “being innocent until proven guilty,” landlords and employers would be “guilty until proven innocent.”
A version of H.B. 267 failed to make it out of committee last year as well.

thx1138
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm outraged. Lets boycott Utah.

flabbybody
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
why would any gay person ever wanna live in utau
actually why would any person wanna live in utah

justatransgirl
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah FB, gotta agree with that.

But the scenery is nice and you can have ten wives... LOL

But my point in posting this is that transsexuals can be discriminated at hotels and other places of business just... because.

And that is fundamentally wrong in a country that supposedly provides equal rights for all.

I do agree - BOYCOTT UTAH!

Or better yet - let's everyone go to Utah. What they need is a couple of hundred thousand gays and trans folks to take over SLC for a weekend. LOL

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-)

matrixdave
03-07-2009, 12:27 AM
HEY GUYS I LIVE IN UTAH AND YOUR RIGHT. IT HAS THE STUPID FUKING LAWS.YES ITS NICE HERE BUT EVERYONE JUDGES YOU.THEY NEED TO BE MORE OPEN MINDED. I LIVE HERE BUT IM FROM SAN DIEGO.

OEMEnemyNum1
03-07-2009, 04:58 AM
HEY GUYS I LIVE IN UTAH AND YOUR RIGHT. IT HAS THE STUPID FUKING LAWS.YES ITS NICE HERE BUT EVERYONE JUDGES YOU.THEY NEED TO BE MORE OPEN MINDED. I LIVE HERE BUT IM FROM SAN DIEGO.

I'm from Utah originally. It's not the only state like this though.

darkko
03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey I am in Utah as well. It is beautiful and we do have alot of open and cool people. However we have old bastard politicans that are not only against anyone with a different lifestyle but they are racist as well. I say come visit or move here and piss them off royally!

justatransgirl
03-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks to our Utah members! We know not all Utahans are haters.

This situation reinforces the need for Federal legislation that will stop this discrimination once and for all.

How can a country that professes equal rights for all permit the rampant discrimination experienced by so many?

I'm not sure I can continue to live in the US. I just don't know where to go.

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-(

tao1kiku
03-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Move up here to Canada, we're just a bit more civilised and equal rights and gender equality are entrenched in law.

russtafa
03-10-2009, 05:08 AM
to many bigots in this world

russtafa
03-10-2009, 05:10 AM
but a few people hate gays on this site=the hipocrites