PDA

View Full Version : XBOX HATES GAY PEOPLE!

wikid0ne
02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Thought this was interesting.... from

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/02/xbox_lives_dont_ask_dont_tell.php

XBox Live doesn't want you letting anybody know you're gay. Because that's offensive. Recently, a woman was banned from online gaming for identifying herself as a lesbian in her profile.

"My account was suspended because I had said in my profile that I was a lesbian. I was harassed by several players, 'chased' to different maps/games to get away from their harassment. They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap."

As if xbox live is really appropriate for kids anyways! My account was suspended and xbox live did nothing to solve this, but instead said others found it offensive.

Hey, that reminds me, people suck. Per XBox Live's don't tell policy:

"In regards to sexual orientation, for gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other. Players can, however, self identify in voice communication where context is more easily explained to all players involved."

ef9hatchman
02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Mircosoft not Xbox....

wikid0ne
02-28-2009, 11:09 AM
well msn, windows, office etc aint banning ppl who say they're gay

only xbox is

=p

ef9hatchman
02-28-2009, 11:12 AM
well msn, windows, office etc aint banning ppl who say they're gay

only xbox is

=pMany children use Xbox live. Their is a Age limit on MSN.

Cyclops
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Any venue where children can be is no place to be discussing sexuality,whether it be that you are gay or straight.

If someone states that they are staight,that being a statement of sexuality,should also be banned

RatedR69
03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
XBox = Red Ring of Death GAY

jcinva
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey, that reminds me, people suck. Per XBox Live's don't tell policy:

Man, that sort of blatant discrimination is completely contrary to the natural rights of humankind conferred under the US Constitution and the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

Reminds me of that time my account on the Romper Room board was suspended for starting a pro-bestiality and dog-rimming thread and posting videos.

I just know that bitch, Miss Sally, orchestrated the whole thing, too. I hate her so much! I see you, too, lady!

I'd hoped those days of school yard bullying for orientation were behind us. I mean, what's next? Banned for guy on guy tea bagging in Halo2?

Come on! Everybody with me: Never Again! Never Again! Never Again!

eddymunster90
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
You should really learn to read more that just headlines and actually look at the xbox terms of service. It states you are not allowed to enter ANY sexual orientation in your user profile. that includes being straight. There is no ban on verbally stating your orientation over the mics. Plus part of the ban of the word gay is so people don't use it as an insult.

BrendaQG
03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Honestly I don't see why one's profile needs to have sexual orientation in it. I mean unless they make a MA rated game which is basically all about sex on cam or something what's the point?

Teydyn
03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Man, that sort of blatant discrimination
How DARE they to discriminate against EVERYONE!!!

:lol:

Justawannabe
03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
The responses on this thread really amaze me.

The person wasn't out there promoting a sexuality, they just said lesbian.

Are children so fragile that they can't even withstand the word? Are we so sexually phobic in this society that we have to pass the fear down to children?

I mean, should you be able to say your married, I mean that must mean you like the opposite sex right?

Have kids? I mean you must have had sex at some point (or at least had your parts touched by someone... maybe even you, the horror!)

This isn't about the kids.

This is about two major fears in society.

That homosexuality is contagious. Specifically, that people can be drawn into that lifestyle by being exposed to it rather than discover that attraction within themselves and not be ashamed of it. This leads to fear of themselves in folks and hatred of those that expose everyone else to this perceived danger.

That homosexuality is dangerous to the business. A lot of places become nervous about seeing homosexual folks beginning to gather at their location for fear that they will become a 'gay' business and straight folks won't come around anymore.

It's not different that not being allowed to hold hands at a restaurant or kiss your same sex partner at a baseball game after a home run. It's no different than the efforts to prevent homosexuals on things like sit-coms. Kids watch those things!

If you kids are so fragile, just like tv, or any other semi-private space, monitor, explain, turn off. I mean god forbid your kid should look through the dictionary, the words in there might cause them to turn into an ax murder.

demmie
03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I really don't see why orientation matters.

Xbox didn't do anything wrong.

The players did.

SarahG
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Are children so fragile that they can't even withstand the word? Are we so sexually phobic in this society that we have to pass the fear down to children?

I mean, should you be able to say your married, I mean that must mean you like the opposite sex right?

Have kids? I mean you must have had sex at some point (or at least had your parts touched by someone... maybe even you, the horror!)

That homosexuality is contagious. Specifically, that people can be drawn into that lifestyle by being exposed to it rather than discover that attraction within themselves and not be ashamed of it. This leads to fear of themselves in folks and hatred of those that expose everyone else to this perceived danger.

That homosexuality is dangerous to the business. A lot of places become nervous about seeing homosexual folks beginning to gather at their location for fear that they will become a 'gay' business and straight folks won't come around anymore.

It's not different that not being allowed to hold hands at a restaurant or kiss your same sex partner at a baseball game after a home run. It's no different than the efforts to prevent homosexuals on things like sit-coms. Kids watch those things!

If you kids are so fragile, just like tv, or any other semi-private space, monitor, explain, turn off. I mean god forbid your kid should look through the dictionary, the words in there might cause them to turn into an ax murder.

Amazingly you seem to be the only one in this thread who gets it, IMHO.

Xbox isn't really banning any mention or implication of sexual orientation, if they were- then you'd see them disallowing anyone to say in their profiles that they're married, engaged, pregnant, or anything else that would imply being a heterosexual.

Does being a lesbian have anything to do with gaming? Not directly, but then again personal profiles generally DON'T have much to do with gaming. And for all we know there was an underlying reason why she put in her profile that she is les, perhaps she was tired of all the guys in the virtual sausagefest world assuming that she was interested in their cocks.

But Xbox live isn't banning people for stating or implying that they're heterosexual, and xbox live isn't banning people for posting stuff unrelated to gaming in their profiles. The only conclusion is that xbox live is catering to the rel right & parenting groups out there by trying to create an environment where only assimilated, traditional "family values" can exist- either because xbox live's staff believe in those myths, or are afraid of the impact it could have on their business if they became boycott targets (i.e. cambell soup scenarios).

sucka4chix
03-02-2009, 12:16 AM

What a crock o' shit! The fact of the matter is that Microsoft is a private entity and if you don't agree with their practices, then don't participate. Some people are so fucking militant that they see a fight in everything. It's fucking gaming! What does anyone's sexual preference have to do with anything?! If you want your sexual orientation not to be an issue, stop announcing it and making it an issue!!!

russtafa
03-02-2009, 02:27 AM
gays are cool especially the tgirl babes and xbox stinks and so do these gay haters

BrendaQG
03-02-2009, 02:59 AM

Amazingly you seem to be the only one in this thread who gets it, IMHO.

Xbox isn't really banning any mention or implication of sexual orientation, if they were- then you'd see them disallowing anyone to say in their profiles that they're married, engaged, pregnant, or anything else that would imply being a heterosexual.

Does being a lesbian have anything to do with gaming? Not directly, but then again personal profiles generally DON'T have much to do with gaming. And for all we know there was an underlying reason why she put in her profile that she is les, perhaps she was tired of all the guys in the virtual sausagefest world assuming that she was interested in their cocks.

But Xbox live isn't banning people for stating or implying that they're heterosexual, and xbox live isn't banning people for posting stuff unrelated to gaming in their profiles. The only conclusion is that xbox live is catering to the rel right & parenting groups out there by trying to create an environment where only assimilated, traditional "family values" can exist- either because xbox live's staff believe in those myths, or are afraid of the impact it could have on their business if they became boycott targets (i.e. cambell soup scenarios).

Did you all of the replies above. One spoke of a person being banned for talking about overtly heterosexual topics in their profile. 24 hour ban and they had to change it. So yes they will ban people for overt, not even dirty mentions of heterosexuality.

The games on Xbox range from never let your kids play em (GTA IV) to made for kids (Leggo Indiana Jones). Why should some kid playing a online game have to deal with an adults sexuality no matter what that may be? Yes kids are that fragile. They are innocent and should just be able to enjoy at least 7 or 8 years of blissful ignorance of real life. They will have the next 70-80 years to deal with all this stuff. Let them just be kids while they are. What's so wrong about that?

SarahG
03-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Did you all of the replies above. One spoke of a person being banned for talking about overtly heterosexual topics in their profile.

I read all the replies above but unless I am blind, none state that. One stated that expressing any sexuality is prohibited in user profiles, but you and I both know that there is often a difference between written policy as it appears in writing (i.e. ToS's) and how that policy is actually carried out in practice.

Why should some kid playing a online game have to deal with an adults sexuality no matter what that may be?

Deal with adult sexuality? Simply seeing someone say "I am a lesbian" in their bio hardly constitutes "dealing with adult sexuality."

No one would be saying "kids shouldn't have to deal with adult sexuality" upon seeing a gamer's profile that states that they are engaged or married. Why? Because that would be absurd. Just as this is absurd.

They are innocent and should just be able to enjoy at least 7 or 8 years of blissful ignorance of real life.

Really? So you think kids should spend their first 7-8 years never even knowing the words marriage, married, lesbian, gay, straight, or engaged? What next, prohibit kids under the age of 9 from attending weddings? Does anyone seriously buy that it should be taken to that degree?

Its that type of sheltered over-protectiveness that makes kids easy targets for predators to begin with.

62des
03-02-2009, 10:29 AM
This whole thread is bullshit lol Its fuckin xbox live why do you feel the need to express whether you're gay or straight? sometimes some people make a big deal out of nothing at all.

jcinva
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
This whole thread is bullshit lol Its fuckin xbox live why do you feel the need to express whether you're gay or straight? sometimes some people make a big deal out of nothing at all.

Because, man, when I snipe some camping POS with my BFG9000, from half-a-mile away, I want them to know they've been pwned, LESBIAN-style!

Am I right?! C'mon! Five up top. C'mon, now! Don't leave me hangin'!

lupinIII
03-03-2009, 02:02 AM
There was a discussion about this on Kotaku, a gaming blog I read. Basically someone decided to change his gamertag to "ILoveMyWife" or some permutation of that and see if he gets banned.

I'm on the fence on this issue, while I agree that I don't need a person's life story every time I want to chop them in half in Gears of War, I understand that many people may be extremely proud of being gay/lesbian/trans and may have had to fight through intensely difficult periods of their lives to be able to openly identify themselves as such.

Legend
03-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Seriously how can stating your gay or a lesbian effect a little kid on live should they be banning little kids who play games like gears of war and gta 3 on live both violent and bloody games.

celticgrafix
03-03-2009, 05:34 AM
people get deleted all the time for dumb shit, who cares

62des
03-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Again state why there's a need to express your sexual orientation in the gaming world. I'm just not understanding. I guess I'll go complain why I can't go into the girls bathroom and pee.

Silcc69
03-04-2009, 04:30 AM
Seriously how can stating your gay or a lesbian effect a little kid on live should they be banning little kids who play games like gears of war and gta 3 on live both violent and bloody games.

Uhm how would little kids get the money to buy a 59.99 game and a 49.99 XBL account?

BrendaQG
03-04-2009, 05:27 AM

Uhm how would little kids get the money to buy a 59.99 game and a 49.99 XBL account?

Their parent's buy it for them. There are also games targeted towards little kids i.e. any games in the leggo series. "leggo Batman" "Leggo Indiana Jones". "Kung Fu Panda" a really good game by the way. "Spiderman Friend or Foe". ... The list goes on.

Not all games for Xbox are rated MA. Allot of those game I listed above have online multiplayer VS modes. Modes in which you are often trying to beat up the other person. Leaving aside the issue of desensitizing children to violence... what place does sexuality have in a VS mode match in Spider Man Friend or Foe? I mean what are there certain moves where Doc Oc can pick up on Spidey?

lupinIII
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't think it's sexuality that's the issue here, I think it's identity. My handle, is tied into my social identity, it was a band I used to play with, one of the happier times of my life.

It is also referencing certain signs posted all over my university's computer labs, warning us of people who could use your computer without you knowing and steal your download and print quotas. The height of paranoid beaurocracy, we thought it was funny and made it our band name, it's something that as frivolous and silly as it sounds to others, is somewhat important to me and my identity.

So when we look at this in terms of identity, Xbox Live is all about putting your identity as a person out there for the great unwashed to view, encouraging you to make a Mii (how silly of me, I mean an "avatar") which resembles an idealised version of your physical self, gamerscores which show what kind of a gamer you are, reflected in what you're playing, and handles for identification.

BrendaQG
03-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Well if it's about identity then why isn't there a big hue and cry for the avatars on Xbox live to have some religious connotation. Where is the cross and where is the crecent? There not there because who gives a damm about that when your kicking the identity out of someone online?

lupinIII
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Good call, religion is never a concern in my life so I completely ignored its importance to others. My bad. On that note, does anyone know what the Live EULA says about religious identification? Will, 'IloveJesus' get suspended the same as 'Iamafag'? Does this just open an even more contentious issue when 'IloveAllah' or 'Vishnu-is-kewl' get their accounts suspended?

DeLuX
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Do you realize XBOX has a deal with LOGO and they offer the stations lineup to download over xbox live? they DONT hate gays, get your facts straight before talking