PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if this place had an ignore button

dgs925
02-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I remember back in the day I used to chat on IRC, and if some troll wouldn't shut up all you had to do was type /ignore (insert nick here) and you wouldn't be bothered.

I was just wondering how this place would be different if we had the ability to do that. It probably isn't in the code for the forum so it's not likely to be a reality but I thought it was an interesting thought experiment.

Who would be on your ignore list? Who would be the "most ignored"? Would these people get frustrated that no one was responding to them and just go away or would they reregister with another screen name?

I personally think that if we had this option a lot of the people who don't post here anymore wouldn't have left - in my opinion this place is less interesting now than it used to be. People get tired of being called names like fag or drag queen, and just don't come back.

Since I hate it when people ask questions but don't give their own answers here are a few people I'd ignore: chef, Legend, and (obviously) tsntx.

worldbro
02-24-2009, 10:22 PM

flabbybody
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
in the works

ef9hatchman
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
in the worksFUCK TO THE HELL YES!!!!
Change name Maybe possible?

slinky
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
No one ever uses them. they would rather complain.

Tepres
02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
I've been on forums that have an ignore feature. I've never used it, myself.

DL_NL
02-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Request: ignore complete subforums (like politics and sports) please!

ef9hatchman
02-25-2009, 12:09 AM
No one ever uses them. they would rather complain.I have to disagree,I used it in the past works wonders.all it says is posting by (blocked name here) and you can still view it.

trish
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Of course the button will not allow any Hung Angels to be ignored. If you attempt to ignore a Hung Angel, the button will just cause her messages to be triple posted on your monitor.

ef9hatchman
02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Of course the button will not allow any Hung Angels to be ignored. If you attempt to ignore a Hung Angel, the button will just cause her messages to be triple posted on your monitor.lol I like that. I think only administrators should not be able to be blocked.Other than that everyone else can be :D.

trish
02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
An ignore button is a great way to limit free speech. If you don't want to hear someone's argument just.....hey!....what are you doing?....don't click ....

trish
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Of course no one who advocates free speech would use one.

ef9hatchman
02-25-2009, 12:17 AM
An ignore button is a great way to limit free speech. If you don't want to hear someone's argument just.....hey!....what are you doing?....don't click ....I think the concept is that block users that irritate the shit out of people.

trish
02-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Nah Nah Nah Naaaahhhh Naaaahhhh! I don't hear you!

ef9hatchman
02-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Nah Nah Nah Naaaahhhh Naaaahhhh! I don't hear you!its a good thing ur reading something instead of listening through a speaker.....:D heh heh heh

dgs925
02-25-2009, 12:25 AM
An ignore button is a great way to limit free speech. If you don't want to hear someone's argument just.....hey!....what are you doing?....don't click ....

How does it limit free speech? I am an advocate of free speech, so I need you to explain that a little. Free speech is important in the real world where unpopular opinions often get stifled. But the right to ignore others is just as fundamental. Case in point: Fred Phelps. I believe totally that he should be able to say whatever he wants, but I also think that we should all ignore him

You can say whatever the fuck you want to say, but I don't have to listen. Sometimes I want to read a thread, but just don't care to read the divisive comments posted by some member here. That's when it would come in handy.

Besides, this is a privately owned internet forum - so it isn't free speech. If you say enough shit that is against the rules then you get banned.

trish
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Free speech involves the right to respond to claims and have those responses heard by those making the claims. You can still easily choose not to read those responses. Making them vanish from your screen just strikes me as childish and cowardly.

dgs925
02-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Free speech involves the right to respond to claims and have those responses heard by those making the claims. You can still easily choose not to read those responses. Making them vanish from your screen just strikes me as childish and cowardly.

Ahhh you're objection is that you think it is childish and cowardly, and not really on "free speech" grounds. That is a valid point, but I could really care less if I'm considered childish or cowardly - I just don't want to be bothered by a few select trolls here (at least I consider them trolls).

trish
02-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Free speech is an intellectual concept. The legal construction we have in the U.S. or in other nations, are just various realizations of that concept. Though it is not bound by the legal construction, I would like HA to respect the spirit of free speech, when reasonable. My objection is quite definitely based on the concept of free speech. Let me repeat it:

Free speech involves the right to respond to claims and have those responses heard by those making the claims. You can still easily choose not to read those responses.

It also happens to be the case that ignore buttons are childish and cowardly when used to ignore responses to political or scientific or other kinds of claims.

To the MODs working on this I propose a compromise. Since people in the General Forum are not usually involved in the kind of speech I'm describing, design an ignore button for the General Forum. On the other hand the Politics and Religion Forum is a different story. I wouldn't use it there because I think it would be cowardly and intellectually dishonest. I wouldn't want it to be used on me there, because in a political discussion, I think everyone should have the right to address their dissenters directly. So I would suggest in that forum we not have the option of a vanish button.

dgs925
02-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Free speech is an intellectual concept. The legal construction we have in the U.S. or in other nations, are just various realizations of that concept.

YES!! Absolutely, The law is not what is sacred here, but the fundamental right to say whatever the hell you want to say

Free speech involves the right to respond to claims

I'm still with you here.

and have those responses heard by those making the claims.

I'd never thought of this, but it doesn't strike me as true. You can say whatever you want, that's fine, but you cannot demand that others listen to you.

It also happens to be the case that ignore buttons are childish and cowardly when used to ignore responses to political or scientific or other kinds of claims.

Hell yeah that is childish and cowardly. Just cruise on over to FSTDT.com to view the effect of ignoring political or scientific claims that don't agree with your principles. But don't those fundies have the (not god given) right to bury their heads in the sand and wait for the rapture? It's when they try to infringe on our rights, for example by teaching half-truths in public school science classes, that we need to take them to task and call bullshit. But if they want to sit around in private groups talking about what a satan-worshiper Darwin was then that's their right.

To the MODs working on this I propose a compromise. Since people in the General Forum are not usually involved in the kind of speech I'm describing, design an ignore button for the General Forum. On the other hand the Politics and Religion Forum is a different story. I wouldn't use it there because I think it would be cowardly and intellectually dishonest. I wouldn't want it to be used on me there, because in a political discussion, I think everyone should have the right to address their dissenters directly. So I would suggest in that forum we not have the option of a vanish button.

However the mods do things is fine with me, I wasn't even asking for this to be implemented I just wanted people's opinions. I don't see what the problem is with someone ignoring you, if they choose to ignore you they are the only ones being hurt. If it went too far everyone would ignore everyone else and it would turn into a ghost town.

I wasn't thinking of the politics and religion board when I proposed this, I rarely go there. I was thinking of the times I was looking at a thread, enjoying some pics or perhaps reading about someone early in their transition, and then come come a couple of pages of hate spewing followed by fag calling. And wouldn't you know it, it's the same person starting shit over and over.

Then just the other day I (for the fist time) visit this other forum that shall remain nameless, and I see all these people who used to post here but for one reason (you know who she is) or another don't come here any more. I thought, "that's a shame".

trish
02-25-2009, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't vote for a LAW that required one person to listen to another. But here we aren't talking about the law. We're talking about a collection of forums wherein which we communicate with one another. Why obstruct that communication. As a philosophical IDEA, free speech is about the free exchange, communication and mutual development of ideas. It requires listening as well as speaking.

I don't see what the problem is with someone ignoring you, if they choose to ignore you they are the only ones being hurt.

Here I disagree. If dissent is heard, people’s minds can change, and there remains a chance for discussion to converge on points of agreement and also points of disagreement become clearer. Moreover, if hard questions are heard and answered there is less chance of being misunderstood. Ignoring people with whom you disagree does the entire discussion, and those who participate in it, a disservice.

I do see your point about the inanities that sometimes go on here and how an ignore button might make life more convenient. That’s why I propose the compromise.

baileyandkc
02-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Why would you want to ignore Jen? Love her or hate her, she keeps you coming back for more! :claps

BeardedOne
02-25-2009, 02:12 AM
I like the idea of an ignore feature (Though I might rarely use it). It actually =protects= free speech in that those that might find the posts offensive or inane are less likely to push a mod to ban or restrict the user (This is, after all, a private forum and there are limits to one's free speech rights akin to what one might tolerate at a party in one's home).

I tend to steer clear of hot-spot threads and slugfests, so an ignore feature would be something I might not use much. Though, much like Adblock on Firefox, which allows me to blip out offensive, or more accurately 'distasteful' images that I personally find disturbing, an ignore feature could filter out quite a bit of static from the threads.

'Free speech' is the ability for anyone to voice their views and opinions, but it doesn't force another to listen to/read those views and opinions.

The 'Mute' button is my friend.

trish
02-25-2009, 02:32 AM
"Free speech" is only the enforceable part of "Free exchange of ideas." I would hope that HA attempt to "lubricate," if you will, that free exchange in the Politics & Religion Forum.

In the General Forum, I would like HA to promote the free exchange of ads, addresses, fluids, pictures etc. Here I do see the usefulness of a "blind me" button.

BTW, hi there BeardedOne. :wink:

BeardedOne
02-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Hi, Trish! :) <Waving>

justatransgirl
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm not really for an ignore button. There are times when it would be nice. But then I think about the other side, which is not seeing what someone has to say.

For one thing I think it would destroy the continuity of some threads.

I think better is the current system where folks who are totally blatantly abusive and unable to control themselves are simply shown the door.

I do occasionally use the Firefox photo blocker feature to ignore the occasional really gross photo or the totally oversize ones that make me have to scroll horizontally to read a thread.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Hugs,
TS Jamie :-)

dan_drade
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I remember back in the day I used to chat on IRC, and if some troll wouldn't shut up all you had to do was type /ignore (insert nick here) and you wouldn't be bothered.

I was just wondering how this place would be different if we had the ability to do that. It probably isn't in the code for the forum so it's not likely to be a reality but I thought it was an interesting thought experiment.

Who would be on your ignore list? Who would be the "most ignored"? Would these people get frustrated that no one was responding to them and just go away or would they reregister with another screen name?

I personally think that if we had this option a lot of the people who don't post here anymore wouldn't have left - in my opinion this place is less interesting now than it used to be. People get tired of being called names like fag or drag queen, and just don't come back.

Since I hate it when people ask questions but don't give their own answers here are a few people I'd ignore: chef, Legend, and (obviously) tsntx.

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha.

What a pussy wanker. You must not get out much.

LOL
LOL

Willie Escalade
02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
:wink: