PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Drag queen becomes homecoming queen

tsbrenda
02-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Drag queen becomes homecoming queen

Gay man beats out two women for crown at George Mason University

FAIRFAX, Va. - George Mason University senior Ryan Allen dresses in drag and doesn’t mind being called a queen — homecoming queen, to be exact.

Allen, who is gay and performs in drag at nightclubs in the region, said he entered the homecoming contest as a joke, competing as Reann Ballslee, his drag queen persona.

But he considers the victory one of his happiest moments and proof that the suburban Washington, D.C., school famous for its run to the Final Four a few years back celebrates its diverse student body.

“I was very touched by how Mason was so supportive through the whole process of allowing a boy in a dress to run for homecoming queen,” Allen said in a phone interview. “It says a lot about the campus that not only do we have diversity but we celebrate it.”

The senior from Virginia’s Goochland County won the pageant Saturday at a sold-out Homecoming basketball game against Northeastern University.

Large portions of the crowd cheered as Allen, wearing a gold-sequined top, accepted the tiara and the Ms. Mason 2009 sash.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29303880/?gt1=43001

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/090220/n_hall_dragqueen_090220.300w.jpg

Bob's Tgirls
02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
That's awesome. :)

Willie Escalade
02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Wow! Very interesting!

Legend
02-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I can't beleive he even took that serious he won because they thought he was a joke.

cogent
02-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I go to GMU and was delighted this happened!

natina
02-23-2009, 12:31 AM
or who did you vote for?

I go to GMU and was delighted this happened!

justatransgirl
02-23-2009, 02:29 AM
I think the whole thing is a little silly.

On one hand I don't think the GLBT community has to break every tradition of society.

On the other hand maybe it's time for change.

The "homecoming" tradition isn't that old, dating back to around the turn of the last century (1900ish). It didn't really become popular until the 30's to 50's.

When one thinks about it, it is kind of a discriminating tradition based on the "one man one woman" rule. The students at GMU decided to show the tradition for what it was and elected a popular student regardless of gender.

The important question now is...

Does this make the Homecoming KING - gay?

Giggles,
TS Jamie :-)

Silcc69
02-23-2009, 05:20 AM
I was not impressed at all.