PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

hondarobot
01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Microsoft has apparently realized what dopes they are, and is prepared to re-release Windows XP, only this time calling it the wildly creative: "7". As opposed to Vista, their are rumors that this OP might actually work.

Anyone who downloads "7" tomorrow, please post your reviews.

hippifried
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Isn't Vista just XP with a bunch of added junk that you can't get rid of?

hondarobot
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I checked out Vista for about two minutes when it was first released. It was very much like visiting a trinket bizarre in Mogadishu.

"Holy crap, look at all this junk I don't need!"

I'll be interested in seeing peoples reactions to "7" tomorrow.

:lol:

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
how much is it, and what are the minimum system requirements?

sorry I usually know all of this, but OSX has been wonderful to me the last few months..........

hondarobot
01-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I haven't bothered to check. A Windows release is generally worthless until Service Pack 2. I think they are released early to simply keep RAM sales up to speed. I honestly have no problems with XP now, though.

sammy2
01-09-2009, 12:07 AM
It's just a beta release.

Hannibal Lecter
01-09-2009, 12:16 AM

sorry I usually know all of this, but OSX has been wonderful to me the last few months..........

According to Microsoft, no new kernel is going to be introduced along with Windows 7.
The kernel architecture and compensation model introduced with Windows Vista has been
refined, and optimized for better performance. Basically, that's it. Microsoft's design
goal for Windows 7 is that it will run on the recommended hardware that's specified for
Windows Vista along with full software compatibility with Vista.

Tepres
01-09-2009, 01:39 AM

According to Microsoft, no new kernel is going to be introduced along with Windows 7.
The kernel architecture and compensation model introduced with Windows Vista has been
refined, and optimized for better performance. Basically, that's it. Microsoft's design
goal for Windows 7 is that it will run on the recommended hardware that's specified for
Windows Vista along with full software compatibility with Vista.

That's similar to what I read. The transition from Vista to 7 is suppose to be much easier than the transition from XP to Vista was.

slinky
01-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Firstly, all this info is coming from MS, and they have never told the truth about anything when it comes to their operating systems.

I was looking on Dell's site in the not-to-distant past and the TOP upcharge option was to get rid of Vista and get Windows XP instead. What does that tell you?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 02:27 AM
my gripe with MS is a weak one based on how I'd use the machine

Linux allows folks to run mediocre equipment and get decent results

MS needs you to have double whatever they recommend in order to truly be happy

in other words: if they said you needed 1 gig of anything you better get 2
if they said your graphics card needed 128mb minimum you better have 256 or even better 512

while those specs are nothing these days I remember when they were a headache ( a few years ago) for the average user......

nonetheless I'll be installing 7 on my MBP come midnight and dumping the ever failing Vista

Vista was Windows ME quadrupled IMO, good riddance

viva la OSX

Silcc69
01-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I like Vista myself you just have to have a crazy amounts of ram to make it run smoothly. Anything less than 3 gigs is a no no.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 02:33 AM
never thought I'd need 3 videocards, 8 gigs of ram, at least a terabyte of storage, and a quad processor to run a few graphics intensive programs and a torrent client smoothly.......

thats the kind of builds mags like Maximum PC are doing for VISTA, I cant even imagine what they'll suggest for 7

Tepres
01-09-2009, 02:53 AM
I like Vista myself you just have to have a crazy amounts of ram to make it run smoothly. Anything less than 3 gigs is a no no.

I use 3GB on my laptop, and never had a problem with it. But I am looking to try 7 some time in the future. Once the bugs are worked out of it.

kukm4
01-09-2009, 03:06 AM

Quick tweak you can do to help preformance.

-go to Start--"right click" on Computer.

-go to Properties, on left side menu under Task. click on
Advanced System Settings

-In System Proterties Window, press the Advanced tab.

-Go to Preformance section and press the Settings

-In Visual Effects tab, choose fill in option labeled
Adjust For Best Preformance. You may want to keep one option checked.
Scroll down that menu to very bottom and check
[x] Use Visual Style On Windows and Buttons.

-Press Apply button, then ok.

-Done.

If you a more advanced tweak if Vista try this site.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

slinky
01-09-2009, 03:13 AM
quick fix for Vista users:

go: run > format c:

muhmuh
01-09-2009, 03:27 AM
MS needs you to have double whatever they recommend in order to truly be happy

nonsense seven runs just fine on an atom netbook and yes ive tried it myself

Castor_Troy05
01-09-2009, 04:45 AM
I've been using 7 since it was leaked a few weeks ago, plus I've used a few of the earlier builds.

It's a fine upgrade from Vista, and has a smaller footprint than the much maligned OS. People don't like vista because thats what they hear everyone else doing. It's a fine OS which is much misunderstood. Yes the system requirements are a little higher than XP but it's 5 years newer ffs. Trying playing a new game on a 5 yr old machine and see how these things scale.

While 7 does seem to run faster than Vista and boots a bit quicker, this is mainly thanks to some optimisation of the code taken from the Server 2008 codebase. The new features are pretty cool, with a bit more eye candy included. The Superbar for example is like a combo Dock/taskbar, and it's good at what it does so far.

To address the RAM complaints about Vista, I do like the following analogy. Vista loads commonly run elements into memory so that those programs open instantaneously when you launch them. This takes up RAM, and it is a good thing.

RAM is like a fridge. You buy it to put things in it. If you want to put a lot of things in the fridge, or put really big things in the fridge, you buy a large fridge. It doesn't make sense to then keep the fridge as empty as you possibly can, and complain that your perishable food is taking up too much space when your fridge isn't even half full.

I've been using OSx for a few months also now, and to be honest, while it works nicely, I'm glad I have my consoles for games as this thing just doesn't. First day I got my mac, I installed Vista on it too just so I could use it fully :D

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 05:02 AM
I've been using 7 since it was leaked a few weeks ago, plus I've used a few of the earlier builds.

It's a fine upgrade from Vista, and has a smaller footprint than the much maligned OS. People don't like vista because thats what they hear everyone else doing. It's a fine OS which is much misunderstood. Yes the system requirements are a little higher than XP but it's 5 years newer ffs. Trying playing a new game on a 5 yr old machine and see how these things scale.

While 7 does seem to run faster than Vista and boots a bit quicker, this is mainly thanks to some optimisation of the code taken from the Server 2008 codebase. The new features are pretty cool, with a bit more eye candy included. The Superbar for example is like a combo Dock/taskbar, and it's good at what it does so far.

To address the RAM complaints about Vista, I do like the following analogy. Vista loads commonly run elements into memory so that those programs open instantaneously when you launch them. This takes up RAM, and it is a good thing.

RAM is like a fridge. You buy it to put things in it. If you want to put a lot of things in the fridge, or put really big things in the fridge, you buy a large fridge. It doesn't make sense to then keep the fridge as empty as you possibly can, and complain that your perishable food is taking up too much space when your fridge isn't even half full.

I've been using OSx for a few months also now, and to be honest, while it works nicely, I'm glad I have my consoles for games as this thing just doesn't. First day I got my mac, I installed Vista on it too just so I could use it fully :D

Highly misunderstood OS = Vista

We'll agree to disagree but Vista to me was
buy a new pc or upgrade your current and it will run perfectly

I too installed Vista on my MBP when I 1st got it, hardly ever use it

When I want to run photoshop/lightroom/secondlife/after effects and a few other programs knowing they won't crash I use the OSX

When I want to mod HA I use XP lol
nuff said

hondarobot
01-09-2009, 05:12 AM
Discussion is now in progress.

:wink:

uber_nerd
01-09-2009, 05:17 AM
I run XP Pro on a 20 pc network and I love it. When there is a failure it is usually hardware based.

All of them are connected to Windows 2003 Server. I can't figure that shit out to save my life. I've uninstalled/reinstalled WSUS and SQL 2005 like 5 times to try to get it to work. I'm about to start from scratch with a scaled down server.

It's a twin opteron dual-core setup with raid 5.... the software database uses only one core (25% of the processing power). 6 GB of ram and I just learned my version of Windows 2003 doesn't support past 3 gigs. WTF.

Hannibal Lecter
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM

And even more, the thing that the people often ignore when building their computers is
disk I\O. Disk I\O is almost always the thing that puts the limit on computer's performance.
Solid state disk might be a future sollution for this problem, but untill the day that technique
has been fully developed and cheaper to use, we are going to have to deal with slow mechanical
disks that are stealing the performance constantly. I mean, you cannot expect having everything
simultaneously running on one and the same disk, both OS, Torrent clients etc without severe
performance hits. If you would like to gain some performance boosts, you should place all partitions
on private controllers, channels, and use reasonable RAID for that. Then you'll see much better performance,
regardless OS..

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
do you have to be in the MSDN or Technet to get the beta?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 07:02 PM
ok so supposedly the 1st 2.5 million folks to get 7 were lucky

in other words if you were a local NY'er attending Sunny's party last night and were there around 3am you missed it.....................lol

oh well

hondarobot
01-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Doesn't look like those people got that lucky after all. Apparently people attempting to download the beta are getting error messages, from what I've heard.

Bahahaha. What dopes. It reminds me of the beta for Star Wars Galaxies. Beyond the numerous other issues, space travel didn't work, at all. Fun.

I could be wrong, but I still think this "7" is gonna suck.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Doesn't look like those people got that lucky after all. Apparently people attempting to download the beta are getting error messages, from what I've heard.

Bahahaha. What dopes. It reminds me of the beta for Star Wars Galaxies. Beyond the numerous other issues, space travel didn't work, at all. Fun.

I could be wrong, but I still think this "7" is gonna suck.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on that

95racer
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
As my computer guru friend taught me years ago, never touch a new OS until SP1 is released!

My $.02.

95racer
01-09-2009, 08:14 PM
As my computer guru friend taught me years ago, never touch a new OS until SP1 is released!

My $.02.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-09-2009, 08:27 PM

My $.02.

welcome to HA

p.s. OSX doesnt have SP1 updates

VIVA LA APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flabbybody
01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
i'm going to go OT here. hope no one minds

I got a 2 year old Toshiba notebook using windows XP and it just got infected. I do really basic stuff, no fancy programs running a lot of shit. every minute there's an anti-virus alert coming on my screen. it's in the middle and on the bottom right. I click on "fix all" and it just seems to give birth to more alerts.
geek squad wants $200 to do a complete cleaning which they more or less guarantee. any thoughts on an alternative, other than a new computer?

hondarobot
01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
i'm going to go OT here. hope no one minds

I got a 2 year old Toshiba notebook using windows XP and it just got infected. I do really basic stuff, no fancy programs running a lot of shit. every minute there's an anti-virus alert coming on my screen. it's in the middle and on the bottom right. I click on "fix all" and it just seems to give birth to more alerts.
geek squad wants $200 to do a complete cleaning which they more or less guarantee. any thoughts on an alternative, other than a new computer?

Sounds like Antivirus 2009, I believe it's called. I've got it on my PC at home, too. I've got it restrained, but I haven't eliminated it yet. The other people I know who got this crap ended up installing new drives, but I trying to avoid that myself.

Anybody on the forum have luck getting rid of this thing?

voy4her
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
try this program
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
and this AV
http://www.free-av.com/
that should nuke it.
if you go to geeksquad, back up your pr0n and delete it from your harddrive, i have a friend who works there, and those geeks do search your system for pr0n and copy it to flash drives.
Plus all theyre gonna do is claim your system was fucked and reformat it anyway.

papaizao
01-10-2009, 02:43 AM
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/3/633118BD-6C3D-45A4-B985-F0FDFFE1B021/EN/7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso

partlycloudy
01-10-2009, 04:00 AM
http://lifehacker.com/5127558/windows-7-beta-available-pulled-no-eta-on-product-keys

kukm4
01-10-2009, 04:22 AM
flabby, best bet is to back up and do re-install / restore. You may have option where laptop has hidden partion of harddrive (other times they should have provided a cd / dvd) where you can restore your pc to factory settings. (note you will lose all files, hence back-up 1st)

You should check to see if you have this option.

Go to Start--Programs

Look for a folder under Toshiba and see if there is icon for utilities or restore
option.

Castor_Troy05
01-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Flabby that's really pretty easy to fix.

Boot into safe mode with networking. Hold F8 before the starting windows message appears. That will bring up the boot selection menu.

Once it's into safe mode, head to http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and download the free version of avast. Install it, run it, and then you're gonna wanna make sure you ditch internet explorer as thats the reason you got this virus. Although other people will bow at the alter of firefox, personally i prefer Opera. I'm sure you'll know where to get either.

It's also worthwhile loading a run box, either via the start menu or windows key + r, and type msconfig then click run. It'll load a startup configuration program, use that to disable anything you don't think you need. Reboot, and hopefully all should be well

kukm4
01-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Has anyone tryed it yet?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Has anyone tryed it yet?

I'm on it right now, humorously on my macbook pro

it's nice, not as nice as OSX IMO but for a version of Windows it's smooth like XP Pro

mistab
01-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Windows XP= runs fine, no need to upgrade anything
Vista= buy new peripherals, read "do you want to really do that" -NO THANKS
Linux Mint= runs fine, no need to upgrade, a lot like XP and the price is right!

dan_drade
01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
I downloaded it today and will probably install it sometime this weekend. I have not had a chance to take a good look at it yet, but I have a feeling that it is a reworked version of XP and not a revised version of Vista. The download is about 2.5 GB which is considerably more that XP, but less than Vista. The minimum specs are as follows.

1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

1 GB of system memory

16 GB of available disk space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)

DVD-R/W Drive

Internet access (to download the Beta and get updates)

These specs are less that the minimum for Vista.

Iori
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I'll prob. dl it and try it out this weekend.
Prob. run it on virtual box.

celticgrafix
01-20-2009, 03:38 AM
windows sucks, regardless, mac osx is better, and macs run windows

pharo
01-20-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm running the official Beta, Build 7000 on my laptop...

I like Windows 7. It's a lot like Windows Vista only a little faster. The task bar is a huge improvement in my opinion.

Iori
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
tryed it out. I def. liked it. There is a bit of a learning curve with regards to menu /options, have been either has been moved (the location) or re-named to something else.

hondarobot
01-20-2009, 11:39 PM
How much RAM is required to run "7", and what are it's real world (average user) advantages over XP?

I'm running XP Home with 2 Gigs RAM and an AMD 64XP x2 4200. I doubt Windows 7 users are running apps appreciably faster, just spending some more money.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear about it.

:)

goldensamba
01-21-2009, 01:16 AM
They have tightened up the code a ton over Vista. It is much faster and much cleaner. Right now I am running it on a Virtual Machine with a single 2 GHz processor and 768 RAM and it runs like a champ. As fast as XP if not faster at running most processes. I use all sorts of OS's for testing, etc. so I am very familir all of the garbage put out by microsoft so this is a welcome improvement.

Tepres
01-21-2009, 03:01 AM
I downloaded and ran it today. I really don't see any difference, yet. It runs fine. But then, so did my Vista. :shrug

Tepres
01-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Update: My Beta crashed today. I had to get my recovery disc with the original factory settings, to get my puter working again. When I was Running the Beta yesterday, I noticed that the memory card reader on my laptop wasn't working. Today MS sent me a driver update that was suppose to resolve that problem. So after I got done downloading it, I had to restart my computer for it to be done. But I wasn't able to log back into windows, after the shutdown.

I spent most of the afternoon getting it back to the way it was on Vista. My only loss was four torrents that I was downloading. Luckily I had everything else on my computer backed up.

kukm4
01-22-2009, 06:20 AM
next time try http://www.virtualbox.org/

goldensamba
01-22-2009, 06:26 AM
next time try http://www.virtualbox.org/

Yeah you never want to run a beta OS on your system if you can help it. virtual box, paralells, or vmware will let you set them up as virtual machines and you can just delete them after you are done with them or rebuild them at will.

Tepres
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
I think I'm done with the Beta. When the real Windows 7 comes out, I'll get it.

flabbybody
10-23-2009, 02:15 AM
finally
Windows 7 is pre installed in new laptops.
maybe it's time for a new PC

Willie Escalade
10-23-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm not getting it. I think I'm gonna make the transition over to Mac. Just gotta save that bankroll for a new laptop though.

As for my desktop, I'll stick with Vista for now. It's the family computer; there aren't too many extra programs on there right now.

LBCDO
10-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Ive been running Vista at least 6 months on my pieced together, mismatched DIMM, desktop and now it wont run more than 10 minutes without the BSOD...

But damn, it ran so much more sweeter than Vista. Going to try and backup and reinstall with the OEM release probably this weekend, but besides the crashing, I had no problems with 7, BWAHAHAH, how does that sound?

Im actually on that same Beta on a OTB Dell and its working flawlessly. But yea, BETA ver too...

7 really isnt that bad at all. I can deal with it. Hmmmph

TylerDurden68
10-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I have been running a fully legal copy of 7 Pro for about 3 or so week now.
Not one crash or blue screen. All of my programs function as well as my games.

Aero is a big improvement over Vista. Aero peek is awesome. Makes
multitasking a breeze.

If you have the means I recommend picking one up. It's so choice :)

dj4monie
10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I've had W7 on my Media Center PC for several months now.

Its the best Windows release since maybe Win'98.

I think its funny Linux supporters complain about MS but not Apple...

If you get a Mac, I'm fine with that, who cares. But then don't ask "Is that app available for Mac's Too?" or "I can ______ listen/watch because I don't have a Windows PC, but a Mac"

No programmers have enough problems with cost to please the 6% of the PC market that owns a Apple product a priority.

Also Apple has this "elitist" feel to them since you have to spend over $1,000 to get a "decent" Macbook, that's ridiculous.

With a $500 IBM Compatible there is almost NOTHING I can't do, why spend more?

If I spent $1,000 on a Windows based Laptop I'd CRUSH a MacBook....under the weight of its video card and CPU speed.

Vista wasn't that great, it was buggy, I got it working 90% without any issues or BSOD, I solved most of those myself. But the last BSOD made me switch to W7 RC and I haven't looked back. When I can spare some money I'll get the full version, but for right now RC works just fine and I got my recent updates for W7 which adds Netflix and more advanced Internet TV to Media Center.

Silcc69
10-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Mac.......

scubaman
10-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Been running the RTM (64bit) on my laptop since it was released in August without a hitch. Installed it on my desktop (32bit) withouth any problems. It's MUCH better than Vista. I usually don't run a beta OS but I heard good things about the RC. Put it on my desktop and was surprised how good it was. Couldn't wait for the RTM.

flabbybody
10-24-2009, 05:40 AM
scuba, speak English
Do you think it's worth buying a new laptop with windows 7 ?
You know my needs... All I do is check emails and look at porn. myspace on occasion

It would be nice to have a PC for around $500 that doesn't freeze up every 10 minutes

scubaman
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
scuba, speak English
You know my needs... All I do is check emails and look at porn. myspace on occasion

It would be nice to have a PC for around $500 that doesn't freeze up every 10 minutes

It is english just geek speak. You can get something from Dell, HP or Lenovo in that price range.

dj4monie
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM
scuba, speak English

You can buy a nice Laptop for $400 from various places including Wal-Mart with Windows 7.

Depending what you want to do and since most people aren't power users, your basic modern PC will do whatever you want it to do. Any advance CAD modeling, Video Editing, Music Production (not playback) will require at least a dual core CPU and a decent video chipset/card.

But for $400-500 you can do anything a typical desktop most people have does and you can take it with you.

Crash every 10 mins? What PC does that?

I run my Media Center PC everyday 8-14 hours a day, almost never shut it off (Stand By Mode by pushing Off on Remote) and only reboots during updates. What crash?

What was with XP Media Center 2005 and then Vista Home with Media Center and now Windows 7 Home with Media Center. W7 is far more stable, supports more codecs.

You also use your PS3 or Xbox 360 has an extender for Media Center. If you don't have a media center pc, don't worry, sync it with media center and everything you have in media center (music, radio, live tv, video) can be accessed from your 6th gen Game system (Wii= FAIL)

flabbybody
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I saw a netbook at Best Buy for $299 with a "starter" version of Windows 7. The Best Buy girl said it would do all the things I typically do online.
But none of their PC's are connected to the net so you can't really tell how fast they are

scubaman
10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
You don't want Windows starter. Spend a liitle extra and get either home basic or home premium. I would recommend home premium.

http://windows7center.com/news/is-windows-7-starter-edition-microsofts-dirty-trick/

flabbybody
10-27-2009, 01:27 AM
bitch lied to me

Mr_Choc69
10-27-2009, 01:46 AM
I have no faith in MS anymore

archineer
10-27-2009, 05:14 AM
I never had any. It looks like a blatant copy of osx.

hwbs
10-27-2009, 08:39 AM
scuba, speak English

whenever u are looking to make an expensive purchase it is better to buy towards the higher end ones...in those advertised specials models u are usually getting a laptop with some nice features combined with being short changed on other important stuff....u may see Pentium dual core but it could be a model from when they were first released.....i stick with a desktop personally but if i did get another laptop i would pony up more $$$ for like a 12 or 13 inch mac book...

BLKGSXR
10-27-2009, 08:46 AM
scuba, speak English

whenever u are looking to make an expensive purchase it is better to buy towards the higher end ones...in those advertised specials models u are usually getting a laptop with some nice features combined with being short changed on other important stuff....u may see Pentium dual core but it could be a model from when they were first released.....i stick with a desktop personally but if i did get another laptop i would pony up more $$$ for like a 12 or 13 inch mac book...well said....what alot of people are to arrogant to understand is that you need a good computer to mess with a high end OS-operating system...my newest setup-PC wise

# CPU: AMD Phenom™ X4 9650 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
# HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus M3A76-CM AMD 760G Chipset DDR2/1066 SATA RAID PCIe Mainboard w/ATI 3000 Graphic
# MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory Kingston HyperX
# VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express Powered by NVIDIA
Im going to purchase window 7 since well In the future I want to go 8gb RAM

total cost for that with Razor mouse and keyboard...475 NERD talk done.In a certain cooling case..with alot of other mods ^_^

Iori
10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
you sticking with stock heatsink on cpu?

-numlk

scubaman
10-28-2009, 12:52 AM
scuba, speak English

whenever u are looking to make an expensive purchase it is better to buy towards the higher end ones...in those advertised specials models u are usually getting a laptop with some nice features combined with being short changed on other important stuff....u may see Pentium dual core but it could be a model from when they were first released.....i stick with a desktop personally but if i did get another laptop i would pony up more $$$ for like a 12 or 13 inch mac book...well said....what alot of people are to arrogant to understand is that you need a good computer to mess with a high end OS-operating system...my newest setup-PC wise

# CPU: AMD Phenom™ X4 9650 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
# HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus M3A76-CM AMD 760G Chipset DDR2/1066 SATA RAID PCIe Mainboard w/ATI 3000 Graphic
# MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory Kingston HyperX
# VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express Powered by NVIDIA
Im going to purchase window 7 since well In the future I want to go 8gb RAM

total cost for that with Razor mouse and keyboard...475 NERD talk done.In a certain cooling case..with alot of other mods ^_^

You need to get the 64-bit version if you want to use 8GB of RAM. There is no upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit or from XP. Here are the limits.

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4254

luvsthetrannys
10-28-2009, 04:19 AM
various win7 beta builds have been around the usual torrents/newsgroups for awhile and it's still a fail-OS, although anything is better than Vista I guess.

incredibly the password hashing scheme is the same one used since XP. the hashing is not salted, which allows easy recovery from readily available dictionaries full of of collected password hashes anybody can download and use instantly guaranteeing more nigerian spam botnets and trojans for years to come.

the UNIX crypt man page says salting password hashes to prevent this has been implemented since 1975. gj microsoft being more obsolete than I am old

scubaman
10-28-2009, 04:32 AM
various win7 beta builds have been around the usual torrents/newsgroups for awhile and it's still a fail-OS, although anything is better than Vista I guess.

incredibly the password hashing scheme is the same one used since XP. the hashing is not salted, which allows easy recovery from readily available dictionaries full of of collected password hashes anybody can download and use instantly guaranteeing more nigerian spam botnets and trojans for years to come.

the UNIX crypt man page says salting password hashes to prevent this has been implemented since 1975. gj microsoft being more obsolete than I am old

Here is the real info

But things are different with newer versions of Windows. Windows 2000 and XP passwords can now be up to 127 characters in length and so 14 characters is no longer a limit. Furthermore, one little known fact discovered by Urity of SecurityFriday.com is that if a password is fifteen characters or longer, Windows does not even store the LanMan hash correctly. This actually protects you from brute-force attacks against the weak algorithm used in those hashes. If your password is 15 characters or longer, Windows stores the constant AAD3B435B51404EEAAD3B435B51404EE as your LM hash, which is equivalent to a null password. And since your password is obviously not null, attempts to crack that hash will fail.

luvsthetrannys
10-28-2009, 04:57 AM
attempts to crack that hash will fail.

lol. try this, install Win7, make a bunch of accounts. make two accounts with the same password, then use the free program Cain to dump the hashes. notice the two accounts with the same passwords also have the same hashes, thus allowing easy decryption. this also worked on a Win2008 64bit server datacenter install using fgdump to gather the hashes

scubaman
10-28-2009, 05:10 AM
attempts to crack that hash will fail.

lol. try this, install Win7, make a bunch of accounts. make two accounts with the same password, then use the free program Cain to dump the hashes. notice the two accounts with the same passwords also have the same hashes, thus allowing easy decryption. this also worked on a Win2008 64bit server datacenter install using fgdump to gather the hashes

Dude read

If your password is 15 characters or longer, Windows stores the constant AAD3B435B51404EEAAD3B435B51404EE as your LM hash, which is equivalent to a null password. And since your password is obviously not null, attempts to crack that hash will fail.

luvsthetrannys
10-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Dude read

cain and fgdump don't care about this magical null password hash that doesn't exist. try it yourself, make a password any length (you can't type in a 127 character pword during install, you have to use the reset password dialog box), rip the hashes then decode with numerous available hash tables.

the security and cryptography lab @ EPFL in Switzerland even had a site up in 2003 showing they could crack any alpha-numeric combination up to 127 characters in an average time of 13 seconds if you cut+paste in the hash values. since there's only so many symbols that can be used I'm sure there's a ton of available hash tables over the years for those too. obsolete indeed