PDA

View Full Version : Millions of 30GB zunes are locking up today

bat1
12-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Mine locked up today and found find out many others are too!
at the logo screen

Microsoft plague threatens 30GB Zune extinction

* Track this topic
* Print story
* Post comment

Worldwide mass media-player death

By Cade Metz in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Music and Media, 31st December 2008 19:05 GMT

Free Download - Comparing Data Center Batteries, Flywheels and Ultracapacitors

It would appear that a Microsoft software bug has put the world's 30GB Zune population on the verge of extinction.

According to Zune owners from across the globe, thousands of Microsoft's 30GB iPod imitators suddenly gave up the ghost at exactly midnight Pacific time last night.

"We've got two Zune 30GBs," says one poster to the Zune.net forums. "One was docked in the Zune Docking Station, the other wasn't. At exactly 2am CDT (12am PDT), the docked Zune made the 'unplugged from USB port' bong-noise and went to the boot-up screen with the 100% loading bar...and froze.

"At 2:30am CDT, I decided to check the other Zune. Turned it on and...frozen at the 100% loading screen. Something's clearly wrong with the Zune 30GBs. I hope they get this fixed soon...I just got my Zune for Christmas, and I was loving it!"

You may question the sanity of anyone who loves their Zune. But countless others confirm their 30GB Zunes froze in much the same way, at much the same time. Some have also experienced the sudden Zune death with 80GB models.

Death appears to occur whether the Zune is idle or playing music. In some cases, according to net posters, the device shuts down entirely and then freezes when they attempt a restart. In other cases, it freezes after restarting on its own.

Some claim devices are immune to the Zune death if they haven't upgraded to the latest version of Microsoft's firmware (version 3.1). But Ars Technica has witnessed the sudden expiration of a 3.0 player.

A victim known only as Dmodegirl claims to have fixed the problem:

Your zune will need a "hard reset."

To do this, use a small screwdriver to pop off the plastic shielding where the zune cable plugs into and remove the two screws on either side of the plug. Next pop the cover off and locate the battery plug at the top left corner of the zune, using your screw driver, pop the cable connection half way off, and do this to the other plug on the right side. Wait 3 seconds, then push down the right connector and then the left battery connecter. Your zune should start up immediately. Press the backing of the zune down (make sure headphone jack is aligned) and put the screws and cover back in place.

It's an easy process but if you're unsure don't attempt it if you think you'll screw it or something. :)

But others are awaiting reanimation techniques from Redmond. "I'm sure Microsoft will have a much easier way of doing this that won't involve half of the Zune 30 population cracking their case," says VS VeNoM SHOT.

Microsoft did not immediately respond to our request for comment. But judging from comments tossed at other news outlets, the company has yet to determine the cause of the problem - let alone offer a solution.

"We are aware that customers with the Zune 30GB are experiencing issues with their Zune device," Redmond told Ars. "We are actively working now to isolate the issue and develop a solution to address it. We will keep customers informed on next steps via the support page on zune.net (zune.net/support)." ®

Silcc69
12-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Uhm ok then.