PDA

View Full Version : MACBOOK PRO

Solitary Brother
12-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I am thinking of getting one soon.
I currently have a Imac 24' the new one but want the macbook pro since its the only apple model I have never owned.
What do you guys think about laptops?
Yeah or nay?

DL_NL
12-28-2008, 06:58 PM
The MacBook Pro is great, if a little expensive. However, it'll probably last forever. MacOS is also great, much more stable than Windows.

phobun
12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
I currently have a Imac 24' the new one but want the macbook pro since its the only apple model I have never owned.
Yeah or nay?
Anyone who buys a Mac is a marketer's dupe who confuses superficial appearance with quality.

Sort of like the bloke who dates an airbrushed girl but tells everyone he likes her for her personality and intelligence.

Beagle
12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
The primary reason to get a MacBook Pro is Mac OSX. It is by far superior to any version of Windows. And you don't have to worry about viruses. Nothing superficial about that.

The new MacBook Pro is the best Apple has built. The new
construction, where the frame is machined from a solid chunk of aluminum is really great. Solid and sturdy yet light.

DL_NL
12-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Anyone who buys a Mac is a marketer's dupe who confuses superficial appearance with quality.
I own a three-year old low-end Mac which I use for mostly graphics-intensive stuff. I also own a fairly quick Windows PC which I can't use for anything demanding because it'll keep crashing. The Mac's never gone wrong in three years. Also, systems management is much easier than the constant wrestling with Windows.

phobun
12-28-2008, 07:30 PM
The primary reason to get a MacBook Pro is Mac OSX. It is by far superior to any version of Windows.
This is purely opinion.

And you don't have to worry about viruses. Nothing superficial about that.
You've swallowed the kool-aid marketing. A simple google search would have been the due diligence needed to avoid making such a ridiculous assertion.

The new MacBook Pro is the best Apple has built. The new construction, where the frame is machined from a solid chunk of aluminum is really great. Solid and sturdy yet light.
At least, that's your opinion (formulated with the help of some marketing, no doubt).

Beagle
12-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I've never been infected with anything on any of my Macs (since running Mac OS X). Fact. And I don't have to run any silly virus programs either.

will802
12-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I has a macbook platinum and loved it. onl,y problem is they are expensive to fix. LCD screen on mine busted. cheaper to buy a new laptop with windows then fix the MAC.

phobun
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I've never been infected with anything on any of my Macs (since running Mac OS X). Fact. And I don't have to run any silly virus programs either.
I've never been infected with anything on any of my trips to Thailand.
Fact.
And I don't have to use any silly virus protection items either.

Anecdote proves nothing.

sheyum
12-28-2008, 08:02 PM
my solitary brother

let this white boy tell you--that once you go Mac--you nEVER go back!!

DL_NL
12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Have you ever used a Mac yourself, or do you just enjoy slagging Apple off?

I've used Macs since 1985, did a six-year stint as systems administrator and have sold both Macs and PCs for two years.

SarahG
12-28-2008, 08:06 PM
The new MacBook Pro is the best Apple has built. The new
construction, where the frame is machined from a solid chunk of aluminum is really great. Solid and sturdy yet light.

That's not saying much, apple is famous in the industry for having problems with their laptops, from hard drives to paint problems to hinge problems.

You know why they switched to alum? Because when they used titanium before that, the paint would peel off, the monitor hinges would sheer off, and as is always the case when apple has a design flaw, they expected the consumers to just fork over another 4 grand on a new model and refused to fix the problems under warranty.

I haven't heard anything bad about the newer models, but to say its "the best apple has built" is like saying windowsXP is better than windows95A.

phobun
12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Have you ever used a Mac yourself, or do you just enjoy slagging Apple off?

I've used Macs since 1985, did a six-year stint as systems administrator and have sold both Macs and PCs for two years.
Yes I've used and owned Macs but will never make those mistakes again.

It is sort of like the circumcision debate. It ultimately comes down to personal preference. Only the religious are certain of any reputed benefits. But that is why Apple promoted the Mac Evangelists.

DL_NL
12-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not an evangelist, as a Mac user it's simpler to install and de-install stuff and keep your system healthy even when you're not a hardcore IT geek. I prefer to use my computer for work, not to try and get it to work. I've used several high-specced reputable brand PCs and they've never been as reliable as my Macs. Also, virii are much more of a threat for PCs than for Macs.

Whatever floats your boat, though.

OEMEnemyNum1
12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Macs are great for people that have jobs that require word processing, e-mail, and pretty picture making.

But you wont see as many specialty programs made for them as you would in the other OS world. Mac's are fun to use, but there still isnt' enough available for them.

Thats the only reason I use windows and linux.

OEMEnemyNum1
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM

People would have to care enough to design a virus for this OS. For some reason Virus designers dont really consider it beneficial to hack into something like that.

Another reason that mac's are really stable is the requirement to use mac hardware. It's difficult to get aftermarket parts for them. But with PC's you can choose a huge assortment of boards and periphs. Hardware becomes an issue because everyone isn't always up to spec.

SarahG
12-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Macs are great for people that have jobs that require word processing, e-mail, and pretty picture making.

But you wont see as many specialty programs made for them as you would in the other OS world. Mac's are fun to use, but there still isnt' enough available for them.

That was true in 1999.

But this is (almost) 2009, things are different now.

What can you do on the PC, that you cannot do on the mac because of software differences? I'd like to hear it.

And then to really beat that decomposing horse a bit more; now that mac's are all intels, you can have bootcamp on your machine, or VMware and just boot up windows in that once in a blue moon moment where you HAVE to somehow have access to windows or linux.

I have both bootcamp and vmware setup on my mac, and there are only two times in the past year where I -=HAD=- to boot up windows to do something. One was when correcting ID3 tags for some mp3s I wanted to use on an mp3 player (itunes has their own fictional version of id3 tags that many car radios simply don't understand), and the other was to set up the bios on some older (c2002) external drive enclosures I have (which have no mac driver/config tool program).

OEMEnemyNum1
12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I do embedded software and hardware design. Though I haven't looked for any Mac software for that, I know the packages I use dont support it. So I can't design PCB's the way I was trained. I can't use the compilers designed for the chipset I work with. Debuggers aren't supported. Anything FPGA that I currently use isn't there also.

Then on the same Token, I design using Visual Studio for the PC Interface. Basically my own software doesn't run on the Mac. Mind you that is just a small part of what I design. But it's not worth it getting the software out to the Mac crowd in this case.

Beagle
12-28-2008, 09:46 PM
There's a myth that many Windows users like to believe. It's that myth that there are no Mac OS X viruses because no one has taken the time to write one - or that there's no enough Macs around for anyone to care about. The old, tired "security via obscurity" argument.

Actually, there are numerous bona fide technical reasons why Macs are essentially virus proof and it's because of proper OS design and safeguards.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/Oct05.5Flaws.html

With all the attention and hoopla that would surround a major Mac virus - you can bet your ass that if it were possible someone would do it.

muhmuh
12-28-2008, 09:48 PM
ahem:
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Tells+Users+Get+a+Mac+Antivirus+Program/article13562.htm

flabbybody
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
its just common sense
a pharma company won't spend tons of time and money to develope a new drug unless it has the potential for mass aplication. thats why rare diseases have few proven treatments

it's the same with hackers. they need a giant potential audience to make it worth their while to write new virus programs, and the Apple world doesn't qualify.. at least not yet

SarahG
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah or nay?

DON'T DO IT!

Macs are an addiction, and a pretty expensive one at that.

Ever been to a mac store? All the ones I see over-do it with the white theme & excessively bright lights. It's like they're trying to make their stores look like psyc wards... but the thing is, its an intentional atmosphere of pain & hostility that they create knowing that no matter how abrasive the mac experience is, mac users will see it as infallible and eagerly submit themselves to the torture, exploitation, and enslavement.

Why do you think every time they come out with a new product line they INTENTIONALLY throttle the initial supply to make waiting lists, backorders, and long lines of desperate addicts trying to be one of the "lucky ones" to get a cut before the supply runs out? Jobs has said repeatedly that he HOPES there will be insufficient supply whenever he introduces a new product. He made such statements with the introduction of the imac, the ipod, and the iphone.

And before you know it, you'll be locked in a burning room with a hostile irack and a somewhat more drugged up Steve Jobs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE)

Ok seriously, the OS is great but I am not a fan of their laptops, and I am not a fan of their prices. If you care about quality & aesthetics more then affordability/cost, then macs are great... its all a matter of what type of product the user wants. Like a sports car buyer, the consumer isn't there for a cheap reliable daily driver- they're there for the way it looks, and what it can occasionally perform on demand & they're willing to pay for it.

strokeitnow
05-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Solitary; I use two different Mac books. Power book G4 15 inch and Mac Book Pro 17 inch. Both rule.

OSX 10.5.7 is the best and most stable operating platform available today. If your into media, graphics, music and video Mac Book Pro is your best option. Expensive yes but well worth it.

Solitary Brother
05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah I had a macbook before...I posted pics on here.....
I run Logic 8 and Live 6 so I NEED a mac!

flabbybody
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Solitary; I use two different Mac books. Power book G4 15 inch and Mac Book Pro 17 inch. Both rule.

OSX 10.5.7 is the best and most stable operating platform available today. If your into media, graphics, music and video Mac Book Pro is your best option. Expensive yes but well worth it.

all I want is for websites to come up fast and not have to deal with error messages and new viruses every other day. I'll never use half of the applications the Mac offers. That's where the Apple argument unravels for most ordinary people.

why pay so much for more computer than u really need?

Faldur
05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Switched my primary computer to Mac Pro 3 years ago.. since then have switched entire office over to Mac. 8 employees, 3 principles, the office has never run smoother. The Mac operating system is so superior to windows its not even funny. Only one PC left in my life, and it goes this November. My world will be pc free and 100% productive all the time.. no more bi-annual re-installs.

Opinion? Fastest growing computer company in the world. #1 laptop used on college campuses.

Danielle Foxx
05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Make sure to get the mac extended warranty. I just had my hard drive crash one year and two months after purchase. It also over heats up to 170 sometimes. Read about the issues online and make your judgement wisely.

I like mine better then my PC, I just switched to MAC and I had no issues aside from being stupid not to get the extended warranty.

Total bill: $359
Plus all the work I am missing out on...

dgs925
05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
I have a mac at work, it was purchased before I joined the research group. I can't stand it, don't like the apps - don't like the lack of choices, don't like the company's philosophy (you must buy our hardware and use our software!)

So I bring in my Dell laptop and work on it. It's three years old, works great, much faster than the powermac in my office. I also only paid $600 for it. I think I need to replace the battery as I only get one hour where I used to get four, but that's my only complaint.

Edited to add: Per Danielle's comment above, I replaced the 20 gig hard drive that came installed with an 80 gig HD off of ebay as soon as I bought it. Only cost around $70 (can't quite remember back that far), and I installed it myself.

dgs925
05-29-2009, 09:33 PM
#1 laptop used on college campuses.

Because college undergrads are a lot more interested in looking good than getting value for their money.

SarahG
05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
#1 laptop used on college campuses.

Because college undergrads are a lot more interested in looking good than getting value for their money.

I wanna know which colleges we're talking about.

I've never, ever, in 7 years seen a mac laptop in one of my classes.

dgs925
05-29-2009, 10:03 PM

I'm at the U of Oregon, and I see more and more students bringing their laptops to class. I'm talking about the big lecture-hall classes with 100+ students. Personally I think it's rude as can be, but I'm old fashioned. I think you should be paying attention to what is being said, but they don't tend to ask my opinion about these things.

I seem to remember reading something recently about a college (probably eastern US) that is requiring all incoming freshmen to buy macbooks before entering. Regardless of your opinion of macs this is total BS. I can see where they are coming from: students with computers are (by some reasoning) at an advantage over those without, and it would be convenient for the college if every student's computer was compatible with everyone elses.
I think the bullshit is the fact that they chose such an expensive computer to force their students to buy, what ever happened to the hype around the $100 laptop?

SarahG
05-29-2009, 10:08 PM

I'm at the U of Oregon, and I see more and more students bringing their laptops to class. I'm talking about the big lecture-hall classes with 100+ students. Personally I think it's rude as can be, but I'm old fashioned. I think you should be paying attention to what is being said, but they don't tend to ask my opinion about these things.

I seem to remember reading something recently about a college (probably eastern US) that is requiring all incoming freshmen to buy macbooks before entering. Regardless of your opinion of macs this is total BS. I can see where they are coming from: students with computers are (by some reasoning) at an advantage over those without, and it would be convenient for the college if every student's computer was compatible with everyone elses.
I think the bullshit is the fact that they chose such an expensive computer to force their students to buy, what ever happened to the hype around the $100 laptop?

IDK if its still done, but I know back when I was looking at colleges in high school several had programs that either GAVE a laptop to each incoming freshman, or paid for most of the cost of getting one from an approved list.

Actually, I shouldn't use the word "give", I mean if I am paying $40+ grand a year, for four years... the cheap $2000 machine they "gave me" is really something I bought with my tuition fees...

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-29-2009, 10:21 PM
If you can afford to do so: use both

I use my pc to download torrents, do audio editing, watch movies, tv shows, etc I might get.

I could do the same on my macbook pro I just don't, I do photoshop, lightroom, secondlife, etc. all on my mac (at the same time)

I own the MBP 17" and for any other mac laptop owners if you dont have this free app get it now [SMC Fan Control] it allows you to control the rate of the fans in your laptop, I've never hit 170 degrees, when I run heavy software the most I average is 150 degrees.

We've started this convo before, I myself posted an OSX thread and this just seems like an extension of it so to point out a few things............

You can get a virus on ANY system
You can fry a hard drive on ANY system
There is no perfect operating system and there are things that you MUST do on one OS that you will never be able to do on another.
Every laptop gets hot, no laptop has a safe battery, and over time even the best laptop hinges give.

I cannot speak for other mac owners, I'll just repeat what I said in the original OSX thread time and time again. I power up, it takes less than 30 seconds to get me to my desktop. On my pcs that's not happening (well if I'm in safe mode maybe) but that's just me. And I won't get into system setup fights with you all, I'm just giving my opinion.

JWBL

p.s. dude buy what you want, with anything research extensively which mainly requires you getting a hands on approach

Faldur
05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Ok, my bad.. #1 used computer on college campuses. Not the #1 used operating system.

And what kid in college cares about what they look like vs. what something costs? Speaking as someone who is helping 2 daughters in college, both use mac book. They chose Mac, and paid more, because in there opinion they didn't have time to constantly deal with PC/Windows software issues. Its a tool in the bag that works, always. They completely understand what costs are, as they are both home working there asses off trying to raise enough money to get through another year loan free.

2008 Mac Sales Statistics (update from October event)
October 14, 2008
Apple announced updated Mac sales statistics at their “Spotlight Turns To Notebooks” event.

1) 50% of Macs sold at Apple retail stores are to those who are first time Mac purchasers
2) Mac sales outgrew industry in 14 of the last 15 quarters
3) Able to achieve 2007 revenue levels in Q1 08- Q3 08
4) Increased US PC share from single digits to 18 percent of unit sales. Revenue share is 31 percent
5) One out of every 3 dollars spent in US retail computer sales is spent on a Mac
6) 39 percent notebook share in US higher education (higher than Dell)
7) 400,000 visitors a day at Apple retail stores

http://www.researchcast.com/alpha/wp-content/uploads/picture-28.png

GIRUGAMESH
05-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Apple offers student discounts, and every college or university mercilessly markets this, which is why everybody seems to have one.

http://kevin.lexblog.com/journalism%20school.jpg

Buy a no-name x64 Taiwanese laptop because their chipsets are manufactured to work with everything.

Get VMware Fusion or Server, run any O/S you want at the same time and switch between them at will.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/VMware_Fusion_110.png

sucka4chix
05-30-2009, 12:37 AM

The one that was in the news was Mizzou (university of Missouri). They are requiring freshman to either have a MacBook, iPod touch or iPhone. Studies show students learn better when they can listen to a lecture over and over so they are using Apple machines as a platform for students to take lecture with them...
You people sound like red-necks who are either Ford or Chevy guys---silly!
I've used both PCs and Macs and I'm not geeky enough to notice much difference. If you're not going do anything more than those idiots on the PC commercials shopping at best buy, get a PC. You're probably gonna pay someone when you have problems anyway. (By the way, in my experience Apple support rocks! None of this "is the computer plugged up" shit). It's a fact the masses tend to buy the most economical stuff, just look at VHS...Beta was superior, but VHS kicked it's ass because you could buy larger tapes and record more. (I know you infants have no idea what I'm talking about, LOL). But PROFESSIONALS used BETA! Same here... If you're part of the average population, use a PC. But if you're gonna DJ or produce music or do video work on a more professional level, conventional wisdom overwhelmingly suggests buying a Mac.
BTW, I recently cursed my PC laptop because I had ripped Transporter 3 and I couldn't play the video on my hard drive cause the fucking DVD player that came with my Dell doesn't play files---only tangible DVDs!
Bullshit! Where was my Mac when I needed it? (I was traveling!)

Regisbou
05-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Ok you people need to stop watching the Mac vs. Pc commercials.

I admit Mac's are great for n00bs and people who don't play video games. or people that like the same thing everyone else has for instance.

In all of my experiences i only had one computer that was infected with a virus strong enough for me to abandon it and it was because of LimeWire Porn stuff so it was my fault.

if you don't know what the word DOS mean, I'm sorry get a mac get the fuck away from PC's you will just spread viruses into networks and infect everyone shit because of your tiny little brain.

Alot of my friends have Mac's with a few new Video games from EA, and they run horridly. Even if the game was made for the mac. PC's will always be the, mines different than your, my computer is PERSONAL hence the term PC.

If you think that having an extra program or a "special" app that you spent like 100 bucks for makes your computer Personal think again. If a mac brakes...which MANY at my school have you have to send it in to Apple for them to fix it for you since no one knows shit about the Mac OS other than people that work for Apple.

Every time my computer gets jittery I click a few things in 5 minutes time and voila problem fixed.

People need to realize that getting a computer is like getting a car. Sure toyota's last forever and almost never brake down, but you still have to get oil changes, filter changes, tranmission fluid changes, radiator flush, new waterpumps, etc.

So when you buy a computer and think that it is maintenance free, OR you dont take care of it at all...please refrain AWAY from the advertising board and use your brain for atleast 10 seconds. MAC's break, will break, some get viruses, more WILL get viruses.

the only reason they arent known to get many viruses is because hackers already know the "PC" language.

Just wait until they crack the Mac OS...everyone will go back to PC.

hAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF UNBUNTU? FREE OS for PC. no viruses, you just need to know some C++ and DOS commands. Otherwise its not that complicated.

i kno a little harsh, but no one see's why Mac's dont get viruses, and no one seems to care that they are buying the EXACT SAME THING as the person infront of them when they get a MAC instead of a PC (personal computer).

I love Mac, but I won't get one until they are more personal.

in good regards,

Regis

whatislove
05-30-2009, 04:48 AM
OS x has technical advantages over windows... you get quite a bit for what you pay for... (lighter notebooks, faster, better screens and keyboards), not to mention low total cost of ownership, and better resale value... and a longer usable life.

Microsoft sucks. Really.

SarahG
05-30-2009, 04:52 AM
OS x has technical advantages over windows... you get quite a bit for what you pay for... (lighter notebooks, faster, better screens and keyboards), not to mention low total cost of ownership, and better resale value... and a longer usable life.

Microsoft sucks. Really.

This. Absolutely.

lupinIII
05-30-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm using a Macbook, but the truth is I like the pretty system shell, I'd use Windows just as easily.

I honestly cannot for the life of me understand the Windows vs. OS X war.

To me it seems akin to a schoolyard, where a kid with one leg makes fun of a kid with one arm.