PDA

View Full Version : Mike Huckabee on Gay Marriage

Minutemouse9
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
What an interesting interview

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=213349&title=mike-huckabee-pt.-2

phobun
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
What an interesting interview

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=213349&title=mike-huckabee-pt.-2
I bet that fat fuck has E.D.

cand86
12-11-2008, 01:34 AM
I adored that interview! I have a major girlcrush on Jon Stewart, and he was in top form- calm, rational, and with so much insight and respect I was just in awe.

I don't agree with Mike Huckabee on a lot of things, but he does seem like a nice, personable fellow, and I was glad that he engaged Jon on the same respectful level and tried to deepen the same old boring arguments against gay marriag (even if he did fail).

What a great interview, compared to all of the angry shouting matches you usually see. I just don't know how anybody in good conscience could watch it all and still come out against gay marriage!

Caramel
12-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I should dislike Huckabee and so many principles he stands for but somehow I can't. What's that about? Is it the grandpa charm? Some of his views are so neo-con it's ridiculous, yet he remains so likeable. Stewart was in rare form.

luv2playwithTgirls
12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Despite Huckabee's wing-nut neo-christian-facist beliefs, at least he has the ability to listen to and respect other peoples points of view. I've always found that amazing about him.

Jon was great in this interview, I always love it when he allows himself to let loose about a topic. My favorite line of the night:

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality"

Go Jon!

10th letter
12-11-2008, 11:02 AM
ill do the hating for u all...fuck the grampa coziness...fuck hiding behind a book for ur morals...bullshit...this is the same routine used by "pleasant" conservatives half a century ago when the debate was regarding blacks...garbage, he commands a large viewership and gives comfort and security to people with hateful ideologies by confirming that u can be civil and cordial and merely have a difference of opinion on the matter...fuck no, theres equal rights for all or shameful discrimination, enough of this pacifying the right and their hate just because its dressed up somewhat...

fuck huckabee and fuck his ilk...in some ways i respect sean hannity more...good god that was hard to say

chefmike
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
ill do the hating for u all...fuck the grampa coziness...fuck hiding behind a book for ur morals...bullshit...this is the same routine used by "pleasant" conservatives half a century ago when the debate was regarding blacks...garbage, he commands a large viewership and gives comfort and security to people with hateful ideologies by confirming that u can be civil and cordial and merely have a difference of opinion on the matter...fuck no, theres equal rights for all or shameful discrimination, enough of this pacifying the right and their hate just because its dressed up somewhat...

fuck huckabee and fuck his ilk...in some ways i respect sean hannity more...good god that was hard to say

10th letter...hmmm...now who could that be?

Welcome back ya crazy hebe.

trish
12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
The man is shilling a book. He was on NPR a few afternoons ago pushing anti-choice propaganda. It’s true that Huckabee is amicable, polite, listens and responds to what he hears. But don’t mistake those characteristics for reasonableness, respectfulness or even modesty. His views are not well reasoned; they are flawed and based on ancient misconceptions of science and morality. He is not respectful: he does not respect the sanctity of commitment and love when gays, lesbians or the transgendered are involved. He is not modest: he claims to know “the” definition of marriage as handed down by his god who must be the god of us all. Nowhere in the bible that Huckabee carries around will he find a definition of “marriage”. Huckabee’s dream is a dream of coercion: the strait is narrow and everyone should be made to pass through it.

westxgrrl
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not taking sides on the marriage issue, but I don't necessarily think Jon is a good interviewer. It would have been nice if he had let Huckabee actually finish a sentence. This is just a pet peeve of mine about conversational manners on TV. I think what's most important to Jon, as opposed to an interviewer like Charlie Rose, is Jon is all about Jon. Which is why I can't listen to the guy.

trish
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
True enough. Jon is first and foremost a comedian. His show is the epitome of rudeness: the “interviews” featuring Riggle and Oliver et. al. usually make me cringe. I can’t imagine being that rude myself. But this is a problem all over the tube with the exception of public television. A contributing factor to the problem is time. Jon will usually slot a guest for a spot that runs less than ten minutes, a spot in which the two will appear to address and explore a complex issue like marriage, or global warming etc. In the case of Jon’s show the discussion is an illusion, because what is usually going on is the guest is selling a book and Jon is helping to create the controversy that will sell it. More “serious” shows (like Chris Matthews) will invite four pundits (pundits, not experts) to a ten minute “discussion” of a complex issue. That’s five people (if you include the host) fighting for ten minutes of exposure to espouse and push their perspective. No wonder American news/talk-shows come off as a fight fest. No wonder those who watch become polarized. These venues are a disservice and a joke. As least Jon and Steven are cognizant of this and endeavor to make us aware of it in their comedy.

bte
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
I think Huckabee is a good guy, but I don't agree with his view on marriage.

Caramel
12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Here's how an interview went with Huckabee and the late Tim Russert:

MR. RUSSERT: Why would you link homosexuality with sadomasochism, pedophilia and necrophilia?

GOV. HUCKABEE: Well, what I was pointing out is all of these are deviations from what has been the traditional concept of sexual behavior and men and women having children, raising those children in the context of a, of a traditional marriage and family. And, again, taken out of the larger context of that book, speaking about how so many of our social institutions have been broken down.

MR. RUSSERT: But do you think homosexuality is equivalent to pedophilia…

GOV. HUCKABEE: Oh, of course not.

MR. RUSSERT: …or sadomasochism?

GOV. HUCKABEE: No, of course not. I didn't say…

MR. RUSSERT: But this is what concerns people. This, this is what you did say about homosexuality: "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural and sinful lifestyle." That's millions of Americans.

GOV. HUCKABEE: Tim, understand, when a Christian speaks of sin, a Christian says all of us are sinners. I'm a sinner, everybody's a sinner. What one's sin is, means it's missing the mark. It's missing the bull's eye, the perfect point. I miss it every day; we all do. The perfection of God is seen in a marriage in which one man, one woman live together as a couple committed to each other as life partners. Now, even married couples don't do that perfectly, so sin is not some act of equating people with being murderers or rapists…

MR. RUSSERT: But when you say aberrant or unnatural, do you believe you're born gay or you choose to be gay?

GOV. HUCKABEE: I don't know whether people are born that way. People who are gay say that they're born that way. But one thing I know, that the behavior one practices is a choice. We may have certain tendencies, but how we behave and how we carry out our behavior–but the important issue that I want to address, because I think when you bring up the faith question, Tim, I've been asked more about my faith than any person running for president. I'm OK with that. I hope I've answered these questions very candidly and very honestly. I think it's important for us to talk about it. But the most important thing is to find out, does our faith influence our public policy and how? I've never tried to rewrite science textbooks. I've never tried to come out with some way of imposing a doctrinaire Christian perspective in a way that is really against the Constitution. I've never done that.

westxgrrl
12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
No wonder those who watch become polarized. These venues are a disservice and a joke.You got that right. 24/7 cable news is destroying time-honored principles of journalism. You make some very good points all around, and voice them really well. As far as Huckabee being dishonest or immodest, I know what you're saying about his agenda, but I also gotta say, compared to the foam-flecked, pulpit pounding, don't-confuse-me-with the-facts types where I live, Huckabee is the soul of reason. I'll take him over the Falwells any day. And I think he's a lot more genuine than Jon Stewart, even if I don't agree with him.

BeardedOne
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
10th letter...hmmm...now who could that be?

Welcome back ya crazy hebe.

Heh. And I thought I was the only one that noticed. ;)

BeardedOne
12-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I've watched and read on some Huckabee interviews and I do have some respect for the man, though not all of his views. It scares me that he comes off as being truly =honest= in an industry of braggarts and charlatans.

Jon's pushing on the gay marriage issue, while from a comedian, was spot on.

Speaking as a single man whose Social Security benefits dissolve into nothingness upon his death, I say that this has very little to do with who or what you fuck.

trish
12-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Insofar as “genuine” means “honest” or “truthful” I have to disagree. Huckabee knowingly and deliberately misrepresents gays. The reason Russert asked, “Why would you link homosexuality with sadomasochism, pedophilia and necrophilia?” is because that is the strategy Huckabee uses when the crowd wants to hear it. He backs away from it when he has to present himself as intellectual and even handed, as with Russert or Jon. That’s not being genuine, even if he can do with a smile and sense of humor.

BeardedOne
12-11-2008, 11:13 PM
That’s not being genuine, even if he can do with a smile and sense of humor.

But that is their mission and, so long as the unwashed masses are convinced, they will succeed.

10th letter
12-12-2008, 01:54 AM
hey cheffy, i doubt it will last long, you intelligent witty guys are outnumbered 100 to 1 by the legends and the girls with issues...i dont fall in line, as u know and im sure ill piss someone off to the point where it just wont be worth it anymore...but ill try;)

chefmike
12-12-2008, 02:16 AM
hey cheffy, i doubt it will last long, you intelligent witty guys are outnumbered 100 to 1 by the legends and the girls with issues...i dont fall in line, as u know and im sure ill piss someone off to the point where it just wont be worth it anymore...but ill try;)

I certainly wouldn't expect you to change, bro. For what it's worth I wouldn't want you to either. And it is a tad more unseemly and unbalanced around here these days, isn't it? Just a tad...