PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio 2 - Jeremy Vine Show - 12pm-2pm 11-dec-08

ellena
12-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Just a quite note to let anyone who is interested know that one of the stories being debated on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 is about a mother who is giving her transgendered child medication to stop/delay the onset of puberty so that they will be a more feminine looking when they are older.

not sure if people will be interested but it is a phone in show, so i thought that people here may wish to contribute if they are.

e

T Oracle
12-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Ellena,

Interesting topic. The UK is playng catch up here.

I don't know if I'll get to listen in but I hope someone does a summary.

Thanks for flagging this,
Jim

ellena
12-11-2008, 12:43 PM
hopefully i'll be listening

i'll try to post a summary if anything interesting comes up

timxxx
12-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up,listening to it now.

Dravina
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
it was a very good idea to post this. very disappointed to have missed this. saw your note but too late. would be very grateful for any sort of a summary, then may try to listen on the "listen again" facility via the BBC website. any idea what time(s) it was being discussed.
thanks again for posting this.
DT

timxxx
12-11-2008, 10:21 PM
it was a very good idea to post this. very disappointed to have missed this. saw your note but too late. would be very grateful for any sort of a summary, then may try to listen on the "listen again" facility via the BBC website. any idea what time(s) it was being discussed.
thanks again for posting this.
DT
It was discussed at the start of the second hour.

ellena
12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
unfortunately i was listening to this at work, so i didn't hear it 100% with the usual comments of these "freaks" etc from my work colleagues...

summary as far as i heard:

the mother's son said that he was a girl at age 4

sent a note around school saying that he was a girl too

they've been to see people about gender dysphoria

the child's on medication which delays the onset of puberty, nothing more than that at the moment

the child said that they would rather die than go through puberty as a boy

the mother refers to her son as her daughter, she, her etc

some people thought that the mother was very brave and a great person for letting her child choose

some people accused her of leading her son into believing that he was a girl or at least encouraged it

it was quite interesting, but as always with the Vine show the topics do not have enough time to be discussed properly, many of the e-mails and texts are based on the brief synopsis of the topic given in the previous show so often don't even make sense

it needed much more time, but was still interesting.

should not take too long to listen to on the iPlayer, as when you cut out the music that they insist on playing in the show too (for some reason) there's probably only 20 mins of talking, tops.