PDA

View Full Version : Do you take antidepressants?

sockmonkey
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
In the spirit of full disclosure, I've struggled with major depression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depression) my entire life, but never considered it/admitted it to myself until a couple years ago. I had to cycle through a couple different types of SSRI's before I settled on an SNRI (150mg Effexor), which has absolutely done wonders for me since.

So, experiences: good, bad? Tell your stories.

Danielle Foxx
12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I am on Zoloft and I am better emotionally then I have ever been. I went on it a year before my surgery and it has made a huge difference.

luv4Tgirls
12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Well I take Paxil and it really takes the edge off. I have trouble with anger and aniexty, it just smooths things out

voy4her
12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
i took prozac after a car accident that fucked me up pretty bad for a while. They made me not care about any shit that was going on in my life to a detrimental level. When i tried to get off them i felt like i had the worst vertigo imaginable, and it took a month for that to pass. It also made orgasm almost impossible, not that i cared much about that either. (thats how i first realized things were out of skew.) After i got off them i swore i would never take Anti depressants again for any reason. It was easier to get off the pain medication than the Prozac. Bad shit in my opinion unless youre bi polar or something serious. Anti depressants are over prescribed I feel.

Bostonman4tglady
12-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I was on ssri's ooh about ten years ago and they worked wonders.

At first I was only going to be on them for a year or so but because of my work situation I had no choice but to disclose I was taking them.

Up until that point I'd enjoyed the privilege of working 'flexible hours' provided I arrived and left at a reasonable time.

Well, a restructuring then had me reporting to someone new who was quite inflexible and liked ruling with an iron fist.

He wanted everyone in the door at 7 on the dot and work till about 5:30. I was also taking courses at the time and working on my bachelor's degree and was knee deep in calculus courses. fun fun

I approached him and told him I was taking meds that often made it difficult falling asleep at night etc and offered to make up any hours I'd missed on weekends.

He basically didn't want to hear it so I went to my doc who prescribed them. I was looking forward to being weaned off soon but instead my dosage was increased and the doc wrote me a note saying I'd be out of work for 2-3 weeks.

When I returned to work HR was then involved and they were even less flexible than this manager was.

Long story short, if you're on them and they're causing you difficulty at work, think long and hard about disclosing and if you must, cross the t's and dot the i's and make sure you document everything!

Alyssa87
12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
i had to take Wellbutrin during high school.
i stopped @ graduation tho.

i hate those effing counselors.

they didnt help at all.

Caff_Racer
12-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I have a tendency to be depressed every so often, but I rely on my good friends Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, et al to put my head right :D

Solitary Brother
12-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Im on high blood pressure medication.
That why i wanted out of my last job....
Now I am working out daily and hope to get back down to normal but its still VERY high when i dont take medicine.
Im over weight too so hopefully losing 20 lbs will help.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Now I am working out daily and hope to get back down to normal but its still VERY high when i dont take medicine.

your bitch ass needs to be on high blood pressure medication
you angry geeky muhfucka

you need to throw out all those sodas in your fridge and log off HA and go run
you fat fuck

:)

michneo
12-03-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm scared to take em again last time they messed my liver up and the docs thought i had HIV or HEP C i was shook out my mind

menacingmethods86
12-03-2008, 01:57 AM
You can't bust on antidepressants

michneo
12-03-2008, 02:59 AM
yea you really cant lmao

BeardedOne
12-03-2008, 03:10 AM
The closest that I've been to the stuff is 'Kitty Prozac' (No, really, it truly exists! It's a paste that you spread in your cat's ear and they absorb through the skin!), but that was a mis-diagnosis of cancer. End of cute cat story. :(

As much as I might gain from anti-depressants, I tend to side with Corrigan and fly in the opposite direction with cheap beer. While it does not improve my mood in any significant way, it does tend to make the clock run faster.

I voted no, but perhaps I should.

transmaven
12-03-2008, 04:23 AM
most antidepressants don't significantly outperform placebo in clinical trails

which means: they don't really wrok too well.

bellamy
12-03-2008, 04:35 AM
i had to take Wellbutrin during high school.
i stopped @ graduation tho.

i hate those effing counselors.

they didnt help at all.

Alyssa, each time I read your post I like you more.

rico87
12-03-2008, 06:40 AM
most antidepressants don't significantly outperform placebo in clinical trails

which means: they don't really wrok too well.

I disagree clinical trials are an FDA bullshit stat.

JamesHunt
12-03-2008, 06:45 AM
I voted 'I'm on other types of meds (please explain)'

I just get assholed every now & then :lol:

ted naves
12-03-2008, 06:56 AM
This is seriously an interesting poll.

EyeCumInPiece
12-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Marijuana is my anti-depressant

Niccolo
12-03-2008, 07:19 AM
In the words of Tony Soprano, I've always been a miserable prick. Well maybe that's going too far, but I've always been prone to mood swings, usually downwards. I had some serious external stressors about a year ago, the final straw on top of everything else being a cowboy builder who I had to deal with over a lengthy period (it's now a legal matter). One of the people at work said I wasn't looking well, and they were right; not long after that I got myself over to my GP and they prescribed an SSRI (Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor for those who are out of this particular loop) called Cipralex which I took for several months, I eventually cut the dose down and stopped altogether. I'd say that it helped, quite a bit too. It was that or assault the builder and kick him within an inch of his life. It took me twenty years to be eligible to have my last "assault to injury" charge weeded out of the police database. I don't want to spend another twenty having to explain another charge to any potential employers. So he's still walking. (To court - with his chequebook!) Yes, that Cipralex did calm my mind down when I needed that to happen, and overall, I'd have to say it did me a lot of good ..

Niccolo
12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Double post .. since that's happened I'll add that alcohol is itself a depressant and will usually only ever help on a (very) short term basis. In the long run you'll be worse off than before. Guaranteed. You don't believe me just attend an AA meeting and listen up.

Solitary Brother
12-03-2008, 07:24 AM

your bitch ass needs to be on high blood pressure medication
you angry geeky muhfucka

you need to throw out all those sodas in your fridge and log off HA and go run
you fat fuck

:)

Thats about the most useful information you ever gave me.
I ran 4 miles this morning....just got finished with my boxing work out and will be headed to 24 hour fitness in a few hours for my 3 hour workout.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-03-2008, 07:25 AM
do well, remember turn your whole body into those punches, you'll need it

fatboy

Solitary Brother
12-03-2008, 07:27 AM
do well, remember turn your whole body into those punches, you'll need it

fatboy

Thanks for the help but I know what I am doing.
Hey i need a sparring partner can you help me out?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-03-2008, 07:30 AM
gladly................

with you though it'd have to be kickboxing

I suggest a cup, I'll be kicking low

Solitary Brother
12-03-2008, 07:33 AM
gladly................

with you though it'd have to be kickboxing

I suggest a cup, I'll be kicking low

Im kinda tall dude....
Nevermind.....i guess ill have to spar with a tranny.
They are tougher anyways. :?

Nowhere
12-03-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm not embarrassed to say that i've had slight (not extreme) depressive issues, and Wellbutrin has fully corrected it, nearly 100%.

I tried SSRI's (which are things like Prozac and Lexapro) and all it did was make me feel drunk 24/7 (to the point I could barely work) and killed my sex drive (and not in the way most people would imagine - it was as annoying as possible, because basically you still had the itch, but couldn't scratch it, because completion was almost impossible being on it).

While I think they can be 'overprescribed', there are people where it truly works on.

I only wish I came across it when I was a kid. My life would have turned out completely different.

justatransgirl
12-03-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry to say I don't take anything.

Which is probably why I'm such an egotistical ass.

Giggles,
TS Jamie :-)

mcholmes
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
In the spirit of full disclosure, I've struggled with major depression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depression) my entire life, but never considered it/admitted it to myself until a couple years ago. I had to cycle through a couple different types of SSRI's before I settled on an SNRI (150mg Effexor), which has absolutely done wonders for me since.

I too am on EFFEXOR, 150 twice a day... It took a year to find the right dosage... but i'm extremely impressed with the results. I went from being suicidally depressed (to the point where i had decided on a mode or exit) to wondering how i'd even toyed with the idea...
Of course there are down sides; lack of motovation (it's an anti-anxiety drug, and many of us are driven by our anxieties... so no drive is a problem). But the upside is truely remarkable...

lahabra1976
12-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Try St John's Wart

bulldog
12-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, been on antidepressants since the age of 7 years old. Latest one is zoloft which i have been on for about 7-8 years, i have basically taken myself off of my meds in the past year or so, with not too much ill effect, reason being, i was one of the rare ones that had the sexual side effects from zoloft, i was basically unable to achieve orgasm at all, which btw, fucking sucks.

nitron
12-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry if I post this wrong , this is my first.
I answered ," take something else". I used to smoke but it's hard to find and just to damn expensive. I find that nicotine gum alleviates the blues.
I should be on antidepressants but I really don't trust the drug companies, government, and psychiatry. I don't trust the state of research into human psychology, I feel it's at an extremely primitive stage.
I've learned that scientists don't properly understand what causes depression. They don't fully understand what causes mental illness's, not to mention, addictions , or even why we are able to think or feel at all for that matter.

I also think that the pills are an expedient way, to deal with a problem deemed to great, to intractable at this time in human history by those who can effect real changes. Perhaps you thought of this as well.

there watching us.

Justawannabe
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Didn't vote

I was on a couple of different things over a tough period. Really damped down all emotional response, couldn't get angry, happy or sad. So I would say they work for screening out the emotional noise so you can get some work done, but I don't like the lifestyle approach to their use that gets pushed.

I may go back on, as things have been tough lately, and the break might be worth the cost. Right dose for the right period is a good thing.

They are hard to get off of, the vertigo like effects are bad.

Sean

DL_NL
12-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Nothing but the occasional paracetamol.

uber_nerd
12-09-2008, 08:14 AM
effexor, lamictal, wellbooty
I'm diagnosed bipolar.
They work ok... NOT DEAD YET !!!!! (LOL !?!??!)

As for blanket statements like transmaven's... do a little more research there sugar pants.

used to take jack, jim, jose, oxy, and a few others. Overdosed a few times. Been clean 4 years 11 months 23 days.