PDA

View Full Version : Help Transsexual Homeless Youth This Holiday Season

AllanahStarrNYC
11-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Did you know that it is estimated that of all homeless youth in NYC, 60% identify as Trans, Lesbian, Gay, or Bisexual?

Some of these kids come from out of state to NYC, chasing the dream of just being themselves. Many are discarded by their parents for being Trans or gay. Some have suffered physical and sexual abuse, often from members of their own families. So yes, they leave home or are tossed out. Constant verbal and physical abuse at school drives them from there, as well.

No family, no school. Imagine you are 15, 16 or 17. No money, no family, big city, its’ cold, and you are hungry and no place to go. Hunger and cold drives people to do things they would normally never do. Prostitution very quickly becomes the means by which these young people survive. I guarantee you that no one wakes up one day and says 'When I grow up, I want to be a prostitute" And of course, when you are down you want to get high---here come the drugs. It's a horrible, vicious cycle.

All this for just trying to be the person you really are. 24/7 Living the dream?

Some of you reading this are already aware of SLYVIA’S PLACE here in NYC. Sylvia’s provides emergency, overnight shelter to these homeless kids. A shower and a meal are provided as well. Sylvia’s is located in the basement of the Metropolitan Community Church , and while some cots are available, many of the kids sleep on a few blankets on the concrete floor.

As many of you know, The Nowhere Bar, The Girls of Lucky Stiffs, and The Transgender Project have organized several very successful clothing drives for the kids at Sylvia’s. While clothing is always needed and appreciated, this season the emphasis is on food. Food banks and pantries everywhere are having a really bad time of it this year. In these difficult economic times, I don’t know of anyone who is doing all that great, but

IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF US TO STEP UP.

Beginning RIGHT NOW, you can bring non perishable food items to The Nowhere Bar. John, the GM there has graciously set aside room to temporarily store your donations. Any night you can be in the area is a good time to drop off even just one or two items. This time of year almost everyone winds up with one extra can of green beans or sweet potatoes---donate them! That can of sardines that seemed like a good idea 6 months ago---that works! Cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter…..whatever---IT’S ALL GOOD. Nothing goes to waste here.

Now then, my REAL reason for all this:

Christmas and Family

What is it about Christmas and being with family? Thanksgiving is certainly a big family day, but we all seem to survive it even if we can’t be with family. But Christmas Day can be incredibly depressing for those of us who can’t be with family. And there are some who MIGHT be able to be with family but the strained relationships caused by being transgender can be very painful.

SO-

This Christmas, John (from Nowhere Bar) and myself are going to be at Sylvia’s Place cooking a traditional Christmas dinner for the kids and anyone else who may come by. Dinner is from 6 PM till about 10 and I would very much like to have as many of you as possible, transgender, gay, or lesbian, stop by. I know the kids will be very pleased to see that SOMEONE cared enough to share even just a little bit of their Christmas day with them. You should meet these kids. They are bright, talented and beautiful. They are also very much alone,

These are OUR kids.

This is YOUR family, your transgender family. Please save a small part of your day for them.

Food Donations:

NOWHERE BAR

322 East 14th St.

Between 1st and 2nd Aves

212 477 4744

SYLVIA’S PLACE

@ MCC Church

W. 36TH St .

Between 9th and 10th Ave

www.sylviasplace.org

Lucky S. Michaels

Director of MCCNY Homeless Youth Services

LuckyMichaels@gmail.com
212-629-7440 Ext. # 226.

Mona Rae Mason

The Transgender Project

212 845 4617

mason@ndri.org

Solitary Brother
11-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Thank you.
Thank you very much.
There are so many gay and trans kids out here in San Francisco too.
They come here because being homeless is FAR better than being at home with abusive families.

WendyWilliams
11-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Allanah this is great, I contacted Kate at
http://www.homelessyouthservices.org/donate.html

I think if alot of us girls got togethor and did the "santa" program that would be so nice for some ts youth to get items to make her feel pretty and special.

Also guys you could donate some food or even a little cash to help some youth have a special Thanksgiving or Xmas!

hondarobot
11-24-2008, 07:47 AM
That's a great cause. I'm going to talk to people at work about sponsoring or conducting these sorts of events ourselves. It's not just the GLBT crowd either, I know for a fact half the 18-19 year old strippers at our GG clubs can barely afford to feed themselves right now, and are also estranged from home, etc.

Oh, and just a word out to those donating food: Don't just unload a bunch of crap like Pillsbury Cake Mix when donating. A can of diced tomatoes, some dried pasta, even rice, flour, cooking oil, many basic staples of decent cooking are non-perishable and cheap. It's also an ego boost to some hungry kid to get decent food, and it really doesn't cost much to do.

GroobySteven
11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
....I know for a fact half the 18-19 year old strippers at our GG clubs can barely afford to feed themselves right now....

I'm sorry I know you mean well but the only donation I'm giving to an 18 or 19 yr stripper is a dollar bill, every few minutes. If she isn't making enough stripping to support herself then she needs to look at doing another job (or 2 jobs).

GroobySteven
11-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks Allanah ... Wendy put this over onto a webmasters board where it's also getting attention and I'll put it out on our blogs this week.

Grooby makes a donation to a different charity of my choice each month (usually Smiletrain, Doctors Without Borders, Red Cross or a few other charities) we'll be making a cash donation to this charity for November.

Do you think it would be in bad taste to send them a bunch of Shemale Yum or Black Tgirl shirts to keep them warm under their other clothes ... or merely a terrible way to book models 3-4 years in advance ;-)

WendyWilliams
11-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Attention it is getting and deserves, thanks Steven for continuing your support with us crazy ladies LOL

I posted it in ALOT of places and happy to say that a local gay club owner I know will be doing a charity night and the drag queens will give up all their tips to the shelter!

Also a few websites on myspace have contacted me and will be adding links to their sites.

Hopefully what Allanah has started will follow suit with other models.

If anyone knows of any other places that help our GLBT youth than by all means post it so other options are available.

hondarobot
11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
....I know for a fact half the 18-19 year old strippers at our GG clubs can barely afford to feed themselves right now....

I'm sorry I know you mean well but the only donation I'm giving to an 18 or 19 yr stripper is a dollar bill, every few minutes. If she isn't making enough stripping to support herself then she needs to look at doing another job (or 2 jobs).

Well, I suppose a few dollar bills is better then tipping them a tin of beans.

Niccolo
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Alannah,

Excellent post, I clicked on the link you provided and read that the shelter needs everyday items like pillowcases and toiletries quite badly. Their address is on the website, and I wonder if it would be possible for one to buy some of the things they need from say, amazon (dot com) and have the package sent directly to them?

Niccolo.

WendyWilliams
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Bump :)

AllanahStarrNYC
11-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi Everyone

I will be speaking with the organizers this week to figure out a plan for this Holiday drive.

I am hoping to organize a benefit, food drive for the Xmas dinner and for the shelter as they are indeed in need of many basic things.

I will keep everyone up to date-

And I will be DEFINATELY attending the Christmas dinner with some girls I am organizing.

flabbybody
11-24-2008, 06:38 PM
great to see you putting your time and energy into this
it's such a worthy cause and I never knew it existed

WendyWilliams
11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Here are some places in other states that cater to the LGBT youth:

Here is some resources I found from the Ali Forney Center for Homeless LGBT Youth:

AFC National LGBT Youth Online Resource Guide

CALIFORNIA
Los Angeles Lesbian & Gay Center
(Jeff Griffith Youth Center/Kruks Tilsner Transitional Living Program)
Phone: 323-993-7501

The LA Lesbian & Gay Center operates a youth center, specifically for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning young people (15-24), that offers hot meals, showers, clothes, counseling, and much more. We also operate a safe, clean and caring 24-bed residence with dorm-style rooms.

San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual Transgender Community Center
Youth Housing Project

Phone: 619-692-2077
Fax: 619-260-3092

The Youth Housing project provides 23 units of affordable, supportive housing for youth between 18-24 years of age, with a special focus on LGBTQ+ youth who are currently transitioning out of foster care and/or group homes, or living in the streets.

Larkin Street Youth Services (San Francisco)
Phone: 415-673-0911
Fax: 415-749-3838

Larkin Street Youth Services is the only organization providing the full spectrum of services needed to help San Francisco's most vulnerable youth move beyond life on the street. We offer a range of housing options - from emergency shelter to permanent supportive housing - in addition to essential wraparound services including education, technology and employment training; healthcare, including mental health, substance abuse and HIV services; and case management.

The Ark of Refuge (San Francisco) Email
Young Adult Homeless Programs
Phone: 415-861-6566
Fax: 415-861-6103

The goal of the Ark House it to assist homeless LGBTQQ young adults with stabilizing their lives and establishing greater health and independence through a clean, safe and supportive congregate living environment, on-site counseling, and referrals to a network of supportive services.

COLORADO
Rainbow Alley Email
303-831-0442

Rainbow Alley is a drop-in center designed to support GLBT youth and their allies ages 12-21. Our facility is a warm and welcoming environment, complete with supportive adults and youth. The Alley provides health services, counseling and referral, youth-lead events and activities, and life resources in a safe and supportive space.

Urban Peaks (Colorado Springs)
Phone: 719-630-3223
Fax: 719-630-3250

Urban Peaks helps young people overcome homelessness and other real life challenges by providing safety, respect, essential services and a supportive community, empowering them to become self-reliant adults.

FLORIDA
ALSO Out Youth (Sarasota)
941-951-2576 (Office)
941-252-2576 (Pager)

ALSO Out Youth provides peer support services, social activities, educational programs and workshops, advocacy, and referrals for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and questioning youth ages 13 to 21, their families and friends, and the community, thereby enhancing self-esteem, promoting healthy dialogue, and increasing awareness of sexual minority youth issues.

GEORGIA
Chris Kids Rainbow Project (Atlanta)
Phone: 404-486-9034
Fax: 404-486-9053

The CHRIS Kids Rainbow Program provides a safe and supportive residence for homeless and runaway gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. Rainbow is a transitional living life skills program for homeless and runaway sexual minority youth that provides both services and referrals. Life and job skills training are provided as youth become connected with a variety of community resources such as counseling, medical and legal services and volunteer opportunities.

ILLINOIS
Open Door Youth Center (Bloomington)
Phone: 309-827-2437
Cell: 309-760-1213

The Open Door Youth Center is a safe place for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth age 13 - 19 and their supportive friends. We are open every Friday night from 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm

Teen Living Programs
Phone: 773-548-4443, ext. 28
Fax: 773-548-4697

Teen Living Programs' mission is to create hope and opportunity for youth who are homeless by assisting them to permanently leave the streets, secure stable housing, and build self-sufficient, satisfying lives. We offer housing, job training, educational support, mental health counseling, holistic health care, and life skills training to youth ages 12 to 24 within a community of professional and passionate support. About half of the youth we serve identify as LGBTQ.

INDIANA
Indiana Youth Group (Indianapolis)
Phone: 317-541-8726 ext. 224

IYG provides a safe place, a confidential environment, youth development programs and support services which foster personal strength and wellness among self-identified lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender young people. IYG advocates on their behalf in schools, on the streets, and in the community.

IOWA
Iowa Homeless Youth Centers (Des Moines)
Phone: 515-883-2379
Emergency Contact: 515-249-1443

The Iowa Homeless Youth Centers works to eliminate homelessness among children, youth, and young mothers in Polk County. We believe, with support and assistance, homeless individuals and families can live independently and attain self-sufficiency.

United Action for Youth (GLBTQ&A Youth Group) (Iowa City)
Phone: 319-338-7518
Contact Name: Amy Louis

The GLBTQ&A Youth Group is a free, informal, drop-in social and support group for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, questioning and allied youth ages 12-18.

The mission of UAY is to assist youth and families in helping themselves to a healthy future. We do this by offering youth development, counseling and prevention programs that make use of young people's talents, creativity and energies.

MASSACHUSETTS
Home for Little Wanderers (Walthman House) (BOSTON)
Phone: 781-647-9976

Waltham House is a group home program designed to provide a safe and supportive living environment for up to 12 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) youth ages 14-18. The program also serves youth who may be questioning (Q) their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. Many young people have previously experienced difficulty due to their gender or sexuality identities. Waltham House offers residents a safe place to live while they prepare for family reunification, independent living, and future self-sufficiency.

MICHIGAN
Ruth Ellis Center (Highland Park)
313-252-1950
313-865-3372

The Ruth Ellis Center provides short-term and long-term residential safe space and support service for runaway, homeless, and at-risk gay, lesbian, bi-attractional, transgender and questioning youth in Detroit and Southeast Michigan.

Ozone House (Ann Arbor)
Phone: 734-662-2265
Fax: 734-662-9724

Ozone House is the only agency in Washtenaw County providing free, confidential and voluntary help for teens in crisis, and their families. Specifically, we offer shelter and an array of supportive services to runaway, homeless, and at risk youth. Since opening in 1969, we have helped thousands of young people build the confidence, skills, and emotional strength needed to make a safe and healthy transition to adulthood.

MINNESOTA
YouthLink: Project Offstreets Drop In Center (Minneapolis)
Phone: 612-252-1241

Project OffStreets offers support and services designed to stabilize and help youth leave street life. The Project OffStreets drop-in center is the hub of Project OffStreets programming. The drop in center offers a safe, non-exploitive environment where vulnerable and exploited youth can get a meal, take a shower, wash some clothes, and utilize onsite locker storage. Youth who visit the drop-in center can also sign up for case management services.

YouthLink: Youth Housing Minneapolis)
Phone: 612-252-1200

YouthLink provides transitional housing and housing placement services for youth ready and eligible for such living experiences. Transitional living programs are hosted at two facilities: Archdale Apartments and St. Barnabas Apartments. YouthLink also provides housing placement through scattered site apartments for youth who are diagnosed with HIV and/or serious mental health illness or chemical dependency problems.

YouthLink's transitional housing programs are specifically designed to meet the needs of homeless or precariously housed youth. Programs provide safe, affordable housing linked with case management services and skills building opportunities for young people who don't have the personal resources for independent living. To be eligible for the program youth must be age 16 - 21 at intake, with continued eligibility for services through age 24 while in residency.

District 202 (Minneapolis)
Phone: 612-871-5559

District 202 is a nonprofit youth community center committed to providing social, cultural and educational opportunities by and for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) youth and their friends.

Through a collaborative process with adult and youth staff, this strong community of queer and allied youth (21 and younger), determine the activities of District 202. In the process they define themselves, create community, expand their understanding of the world, learn they are empowered to speak to their own experience, and they have fun.

NEW YORK
Ali Forney Center (Manhattan/Brooklyn)
Phone: 212-206-0574

The Ali Forney Center is the largest and most comprehensive organization in the nation dedicated to housing LGBT youth. AFC serves youth aged 16-24, and provides emergency and transitional housing, street outreach, a drop-in center, medical and mental health treatment, a vocational/educational program, and a counseling project for the families of LGBT youth.

Green Chimneys (Runaway & Homeless Youth Programs) (Manhattan)
Phone: 212-491-5911

The New York City branch of Green Chimneys Children's Services operates a wide range of residential, social service and educational programs that specifically focus on responding to the unique needs of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning youth and their families. Green Chimneys was the first mainstream child welfare agency in the country to develop and operate residential, educational, and social services programs, which were designed specifically for LGBTQ children, youth, and families.

Sylvia's Place (Manhattan)
Phone: 718-300-0133

Sylvia's Place is an emergency night shelter for self identified Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, trans-gendered, trans-sexual and questioning youth from 16 to 23 years of age. Its primary focus is to provide a safe space, a good meal, bathroom facilities and toiletries, a cot for the night and breakfast in the morning. The Care Workers provide a listening ear, affirmation, and a friendly voice of encouragement.

The Door (Manhattan)
Phone: 212-941-9090

The Door's mission is to empower young people to reach their potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. Each year over 8,000 young people, most referred by their peers, come to The Door for primary health care, prenatal care and health education, mental health counseling, legal services, GED, ESL, tutoring and homework help, college preparation and computer classes, career development services and training, job placement, daily meals, arts, sports and recreational activities.

The only criterion for Door membership is age (12-21). Of the 8,000 current members, the majority are between 17 and 20 years of age, with the average being 18. Most are African-American or Hispanic; a growing number are immigrants from China. During the school year The Door is also open Saturdays from 12:00 - 4:00 pm.

UTAH
Volunteers of America (Salt Lake City)
Phone: 801-364-0744

HYRC runs a 3-part program for homeless youth, and about 30% of the youth it serves report being LGBTQ. Our programs include a drop-in center which provides basic needs, such as food, clothing, and showers, to youth ages 15-22 who don't have a stable place to live. Another program is a street outreach program, which heavily targets reaching young male prostitutes, many of whom identify as gay or bisexual. The third component is a transitional living program. Many of the youth in this program are either aging out of foster care or have already aged out. The age range is 16-19.

VERMONT
SPECTRUM Youth & Family Services (Burlington)
Phone: 802-864-5396 ext 422

Spectrum Youth and Family Services is a community-based social service agency committed to working with Vermont youth and families to improve their lives through advocacy, direct service, and a continuum of support in order to work toward a more just and compassionate community.

WASHINGTON
Lambert House (Seattle)
Phone: 206-322-2515
Contact Person: Ben @ ext 811

Lambert House is a safe place for queer youth ages 22 and under. Our calendar is packed with fun activities, support groups, planning meetings, dances, and other events. We are here to make life better for each other as GLBTQ youth. The drop-in center is open Mon-Sat 4-9:30.

YouthCare (Seattle)
Phone: 206.985.8343

YouthCare's housing programs provide youth with stability, skills and ultimately, self-sufficiency. Staff are available 24-hours a day to provide youth with the hugs, instruction and the discipline they need to learn and grow. YouthCare's housing programs are divided into Adolescent Living (ages 12-17) and Transitional Living (ages 18-21).

Giving kids life skills is the key to their success. Youth work with staff to develop plans for self-sufficiency, which may include goals around nutrition and hygiene, money management, education, employment, healthcare and permanent housing. Youth meet weekly with staff to discuss progress, challenges and changes.

WISCONSIN
Project Q (Milwaukee)
Phone: 414.223.3220
Fax: 414.271.2161

Project Q a wide variety of youth drop-in activities are currently scheduled throughout the week. Activities include art, discussion groups, poetry readings, movie nights, dances & Drag Shows. Drop-In activities are designed to ensure safety, accessibility and comfort for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning youth and their straight allies. We run Milwaukee's First and Only LGBT Youth Drop-In Center. Project Q's LGBT Youth Drop-In Center operates a coffee bar, youth library, four computer work stations, lounge area with TV, VCR, and cable, and plenty of peer/adult support.

WendyWilliams
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Just a note I just made a small contribution via paypal. I did call the website number and talk too Lucky (director) as well as verified some facts via online!

When you make a donation you will receive the following email:

Dear wendy xxxxxx-williams,

This email confirms that you have paid Metropolitan Community Church New York $50.00 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *METROPOLITA".

SO IF ANYONE MAKES A DONATION 50.00 above I will give you a FREE week membership too my site!
In order to make sure you really have done it you will need too forward me the paypal confirmation (you can xxxx out any personal info)..........Also we can post it here and see how much money we can raise from now too the new year.

Wendy

WendyWilliams
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I sent in a few questions too Lucky (Director of MCCNY Homeless Youth Services),,,,,,,,Here are his answers: (luckymichaels@gmail.com )

About how many people do you have each night at the shelter and how does that break down too sexuality?

21-27 per night, Trans - 40%, Gay - 30%, Lesbian - 30%

What do the youth do during the day when the shelter is closed?
Volunteer at our food pantry, look for jobs, try to get on SSI, Food Stamps, Medicaid, go to the birth certificate office, get medical services, use our drop-in faciilities and those of our partner organizations. Also some are in school or working to get their GED.

!Besides money what is the most needed items, supplies or things that people can send and where would they send and too whom? Some people dont trust sending money and would really rather send items

Socks, toiletries and underwear are always needed in various sizes and genders. they would send them to MCCNY HOmeless Youth Services, Address 446 west 36th st, new york, nny 10018

How long has the shelter been open?

We opened in 2002. and have been open 365 days a year since and are the only crisis facility for homeless LGBTQ Youth in NYC. We have been on the forefront of the movement to provide for these young people nationally and worldwide.

How many cots does the space hold?

The space holds 6- 10cots max, buyt the youth choose to not use cots to fit more youth in the space. they sacrifice comfort to provide for their peers a safe space to sleep at night.

Can people become pen pals or like a long distance "big sis or brother" to any of the kids and if so how could this happen?

we have a gay santa program where we will mail the dear santa letters out to people, but don't have a pen pal system set up. if you would like to start penpalling... write a general letetr to a youth and I will match it up with somebody interested if possible.

What are some important things that people NEED to know about your organization?

We are a harm reduction, crisis facility which is often the first stop and the last stop for these clients which other programs are noty willing to work with.

Between now and New Years how much money is needed to fit the needs of the shelter?

Between now and New Years, our operating budget is upwards of at least $50,000 to provide adequate staffing, food, clothing, Youth Emergency Funding which helps gets name changes, metrocards to keep jobs of our 27-50 clients per day clothing for interviews, provide mental health services, medical services on site, hiv and std testing and counseling.

Again Website:

AllanahStarrNYC
11-27-2008, 12:36 AM
I wanted to bump this!

Space_Cowboy
11-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Well done allanah and wendy for putting so much time and energy into promoting charity for the homeless, ppl can sometime forget that poverty can be at your door step, or on occasions sleeping in your outhouse

WendyWilliams
11-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Between Allanahs fundraiser and word of mouth I think we could raise some great money for the kids this year!

Happy Holidays!