PDA

View Full Version : Day of Remembrance

Felicia Katt
11-20-2008, 08:04 PM
November 20, 2008 is the Day of Remembrance, a time to remember the trans-people lost at the hands of hate, bigotry and violence and also a time to recognize the huge effort that people and organizations make to bring attention to the abuse inflicted upon trans people and assist them out of violent situations that they may be facing and to try to change laws and attitudes to better protect them in the future

We should also remember that we are all part of the same small community and we are all touched and affected by prejudice and violence and we are all diminished by any loss or tragedy and it is only by uniting as community that we can push back against hatred and push the envelope of societies tolerance and acceptance.

Thankfully, I didn't lose any friends directly to violence this year. But I did lose one to prejudice. She was a tremendously gifted entertainer here in LA. Everyone loved her. But because she was uninsured and transgendered, she had faced discrimination and disdain in the very crappy heatlh care system we have here in LA. She hated going there and avoided it as long as possible. Too long when what she thought was a bad cold turned out to be a much more serious infection, which killed her in just a few days.

She is very much missed

You don't have to be the victim of a crime to be the victim of prejudice.

Please use this thread to remember those taken from us this year.

FK

Realgirls4me
11-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Well put.

May your friend also rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences.