PDA

View Full Version : A *great* movie from Brazil: "Elite Squad"

transmaven
11-08-2008, 09:31 AM
This is the best film I've seen in many years. Unbelievable action in the favelas; crisp and memorable dialogue even in translation; deep and memorable characters.

"Elite Squad" is "The Shield" on steroids and that's a beautiful idea. Elite Squad steps up with the best and bravest take on (know-nothing) lefty politics I've seen since the original Dirty Harry.

I'd love to hear what our Brazilian members (esp. Rio based) have to say about it.

emmettray
11-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I seen this and thought it was so-so but I had had a few ales and will need to watch it again. Have you seen 'Citade de Deus' (City of God) It is about life (and death) in that particular favela and a superb movie IMHO.
Muito bom.

TomSelis
11-09-2008, 01:07 AM
It was pretty good. From the accounts from Brasilians I know, BOPE is just as corrupt as the regular police force though. And the favelas really are that dangerous and squalor ridden.

trannybanger
11-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I seen this and thought it was so-so but I had had a few ales and will need to watch it again. Have you seen 'Citade de Deus' (City of God) It is about life (and death) in that particular favela and a superb movie IMHO.
Muito bom.

yeah, i thought city of god was much better