PDA

View Full Version : My grandmother is fierce...

AllanahStarrNYC
10-29-2008, 01:19 AM
She is and always has been. A fiercely independent woman, thinker, and person.

A three time divorce', she raised my mother and my aunt with no help from my grandfather in a time when women did not that do that conventionally.

She ran her own beauty salon for years before she left Cuba on her own and made herslef independent as soon as she came to this country by making herself a nurse. She never rellied on a man, nor anyone, to pay her way.

She has always been so supportive and proud of me. She took care of me at her home when I had my first implants, and she always had my pictures at her house on display and proudly told everyone who came that I was her granddaughter.

At 85 years old today, she is is in very bad health. Ubable to breathe on her own, she is forced to reside in a nursing home hooked up to a respirator. Since her heart and kidneys have weaked so that she requires dialysis.

Her prognosis is not good and she will most likely live out the rest of her life where she is...

Today my mother called to tell me that my sister and her went to visit her and she told them she had voted. They were somwhat surprised, but they had come to the nursing home to get people who were unable to go out to vote, to vote.

When they asked her who she voted for, she said "Obama, I am a life long Democrat". It's nice to know that hooked up to a respirator and all, she still hs her mind and she still VOTED.

She made me SO proud today, I am glad to know that at 85 she is still as FIERCE as ever.

So all of you who can vote, if my 85 year old grandmother who is hooked up to a respirator can VOTE- you HAVE NO EXCUSE!!!!

Get out and vote Nov. 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TsVanessa69
10-29-2008, 01:29 AM
You are so lucky and blessed!

cp3rb25
10-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Already submitted my absentee ballot

Mugai_hentaisha
10-29-2008, 01:34 AM
I will vote on the fourth

Always have since I was 18

TES
William

MiaIsabella1985
10-29-2008, 02:53 AM
You are extremely blessed. My grandmother and yours have the same kinda of story she is a widow and raised 4 boys and myself and has always supported me and took care of me during my breast implants and most recently my face surgery. I LOVE her and she is my best friend and is always there for me.. She is proud to be my grandmother and would never let anyone put me down. And yes at 65 years old with difficulty walking . . . she voted early as Illinois offered early voting.

So Vote!

NYTSJulie
10-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Allanah, my prayers and good wishes go to your grandmother. I also had a fierce grandmother. I remember she was the first one to see my in paints lol. I was like 14 or 15 and I walked down the stairs done. She was like "OH", I said I am going out. I thought I was doing it, but was a hot mess I am sure.

AllanahStarrNYC
10-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Thank you all for your well wishes and very kind words.
I am very touched.

Those of us who have supportive families, are indeed very lucky.

WendyWilliams
10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Allanah aww that inspired me, my absentee ballot has been lying here and I just filled it out and will put it in the box tomorrow!

I hope you get to spend some time with her and just remind her how loved she is!

barefootjoe69
10-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Allanah;
Sorry to hear about your Grandmothers health. I wish you and her the best.
But it has to be good to see that she hasn't given up and she still has the drive and determination to vote.

Goes to show that people that don't vote have no excuse!

AllanahStarrNYC
10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you all again :)

Wendy- YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
OBAMA!!!!!!1

tsntx
10-29-2008, 08:43 PM
sorry to hear about your grandmother

mine is almost the same story

she is my most favorite and precious person

tsntx
10-29-2008, 08:44 PM