PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is offensive or not?

AllanahStarrNYC
10-26-2008, 11:26 AM
So the New York Press apparently was at the discussion I spoke @ NYU, and Gerry,w ho organized it, just sent me this.

I read it, and I think it's a bit offensive-then on the other hand it also reads like a gossip/attempted humorous piece that does not xome quite accross that way....

What do you think?

Discuss...

http://www.nypress.com/21/43/news&columns/bash4.cfm

BTW Genesis, does not care what pronoun she is reffered in to, as she does not identify as transsexual, but her transformation has been mainly for self expression.

Solitary Brother
10-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Just the title ALONE is offensive!

Solitary Brother
10-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I know what minority group this individual is from and trust and believe you could never come for his group like that.
Why is it ok for some groups to be as RACIST and Homophobic as they want to be and everything they do is excused.
Im getting really really sick of this certain group but will hold it in like noxious lower G.I tract gas because I KNOW I WILL GET BANNED.
Funny thing is this CERTAIN GROUP are quite prominent in the "gender-bending" genre.

I got to go to the gym....thanks for getting me mad Allanah it will help my workout!

luv2playwithTgirls
10-26-2008, 11:42 AM
frankly, it was too incoherent and pointless to classify as offensive or not. The journalist was obviously attepmting, in a VERY lame fashion, to be super uber awsome hipster cool and fell flat on his face doing so. Screw him and his half assed writing, he's obviously not worth getting any panties bunched up over...

yodajazz
10-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I didn't like the by-line "scary monsters and freaks", the scary monster part. I don't think anyone meant to be scary. The 'freaks' is ok becuase it has a positive side to it now a days. Calling you "ever young' was a good way to refer to you.

Fox
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
It read, to me, like one of those things you read and think "Umm... ok?"

tssexychanel
10-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Sounds offensive to me ignorance and hate is often vieled in a joke. I would not be amused at all.

oh and i love the group Trobbing Gristle on the heels of love is my all time classic jam I must dig it out of my files now.

TsVanessa69
10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Pathetic if you ask me.
But on the bright side momma, you are forever young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Falrune
10-26-2008, 02:21 PM
frankly, it was too incoherent and pointless to classify as offensive or not. The journalist was obviously attepmting, in a VERY lame fashion, to be super uber awsome hipster cool and fell flat on his face doing so. Screw him and his half assed writing, he's obviously not worth getting any panties bunched up over...

I agree with this assessment

Crawler
10-26-2008, 03:02 PM

I agree with this. Poor writing designed to attract attention to the writer while not providing any information, insight or anything interesting to the reader. I also find the sobriquet "tranny" endearing when used by the right persons for the right reasons - here I found it offensive, dismissive and derogatory.

SarahG
10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Wow, just wow. :shock:

My guess is that Matt Harvey doesn't know the difference between a journalist, and a punchline writer for a daytime tv show.

If I had written something that worthless for a current events assignment in 3rd grade, my teacher would have slapped me. Assuming he was covering the event to write NEWS and not to make failed attempts at humor, he failed epically. The only thing he managed to get down, as far as factual information goes- is the name of those in attendance.

He doesn't even try to have substance here- he doesn't say shit about what the lecture argued, what it concluded, or what people in attendance thought about those points. This tells me that his sole reason to write on it had nothing to do with "the news" - and everything to do with ulterior motives.

Maybe Matt Harvey should send his resume to fox.

What's offensive is his writing. Does NY Press employ editors?

http://www.nypress.com/21/43/news&columns/bash4.cfm

Does anybody anymore?

AllanahStarrNYC
10-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Reading it again, it almost reads like something The New York Post would attempt to publish. They love the he/she sensationalism there when they publish a transsexaul story.

I would agree with most of the posters that it makes little sense and misses the mark with great margin.

I think if he would have focused on a direct reportage with some humor infused into it- it would have been much better than the commentary he is trying to make.

He got quite a few facts wrong as well- the panel was on a Friday not a Saturday, the library is called Casa Italiana not Casa Italia, and he did not mention the fourth panelist.

So much for the facts...I guess he was too conerned with the freak show aspect.

AllanahStarrNYC
10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Pathetic if you ask me.
But on the bright side momma, you are forever young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

LOL yes that part I liked!

And yes Coroner, it is a good adjetive for me.
Forever embalmed ... LOL :)

Alyssa87
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
whaaaat?

he basically tried to tie the event in with halloween, no?
honestly, if i didnt know before reading that this was a real panel discussion, i wouldnt exactly know WHAT it was.

you would think he would have gone to LEARN something and report on it- but you'd be wrong.
this is just a joke.

BluegrassCat
10-26-2008, 08:29 PM
The journalist was obviously attepmting, in a VERY lame fashion, to be super uber awsome hipster cool...

Exactly! Hipster-journalism: a sad new incarnation of gonzo-journalism. It's not concerned with what happened or why, only pointing out who was there and how those people can be put in snarky boxes.

tsntx
10-26-2008, 08:33 PM

I agree with this assessment

me 2

and w/solitarys first statement too

the title alone is offensive

blckhaze
10-26-2008, 09:50 PM
pretty much an old, separatist type statement. Anything you don't understand or agree with, it turns to kid words and low level jokes to lift themselves up.

peggygee
10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Nope, that t'aint right. :smh

the_corner
10-27-2008, 01:29 AM
He got quite a few facts wrong as well- the panel was on a Friday not a Saturday, the library is called Casa Italiana not Casa Italia, and he did not mention the fourth panelist.

Hmm, so this is press huh?.....

The article fails to say anything coherent about the panel (or at least I fail to understand anything coherent from there)... and the couple of "facts" are all wrong.... not quite what I would call responsible press....

At least the writer had the guts to put his name on that "thing" he wrote (and yes it does have a tone of insult).

The only thing I ask is... where is the "editor" of that "publication"/blog/website/thing that allows such a non-coherent article to be published.

:?