PDA

View Full Version : bad news for heavy cell phone users

thx1138
10-19-2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.scribd.com/full/6564199?access_key=key-2mzfbndgaoop3adn33cj

lupinIII
10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't explicitly disagree, fuck, everything in this stupid world could possibly lead to cancer. But the fact that the front page says "cancerogenic" makes me doubt the validity of this study.

The term is carcinogenic. I know this, and my scientific training is limited to 10th grade biology. I may just be a stickler for detail though.

Tobe
10-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't explicitly disagree, fuck, everything in this stupid world could possibly lead to cancer. But the fact that the front page says "cancerogenic" makes me doubt the validity of this study.

The term is carcinogenic. I know this, and my scientific training is limited to 10th grade biology. I may just be a stickler for detail though.

It'll be funny if 30 years from now, the wisdom of cell phone usage will be looked upon in the same light as smoking is looked upon today :D

I'm not saying it will happen, but conversations with our grandkids may go like this:
"You did what?!?... used a cell phone for 3 hrs per day... were you high?!?... didn't you know those cause cancer!"

I haven't bothered to fully evaluate the evidence, but it seems like there are some meta-analyses/journal articles in the literature showing a somewhat increased risk at 10 years of usage...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18425337?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

There are other articles on pubmed too... for those who want to research further.

In general, brain tumors suck:
Vestibular Schwannomas (also less accurately termed acoustic neuromas) are annoying, but not terrible...
Gliomas are generally really bad tumors... (these are the ones the kill you in <1 year and have no good treatment)
Meningiomas... reasonably curable...

I probably should put on my tin foil hat or start alternating using my left and right ears to spread out the exposure... :D

michneo
10-19-2008, 10:31 AM
i been saying it for years and i can't wait til it really happens bitch gone be sorry

DL_NL
10-19-2008, 12:55 PM
That will eliminate lots of women in the future... whenever I see someone in the street with a cell phone glued to their ear, 99% that it's a woman...

DL_NL
10-19-2008, 12:59 PM

lupinIII
10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Does that mean the males of the future are going to have a lot of cancer in the thigh area. Shit, worst case scenario would be an exponential growth in testicular cancer rates.

SarahG
10-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Does that mean the males of the future are going to have a lot of cancer in the thigh area. Shit, worst case scenario would be an exponential growth in testicular cancer rates.

That's already happening for the same reason why girls are getting tits at 9: our dairy products (and some meats) are pumped full of so many growth hormones... and no one knows what the long term effects will be.

Normally there are more guys at a generation's birth then when they reach age 30 because guys are so good at killing themselves off doing stupid shit (this is true cross-culturally), so its normal to see slightly more girls than guys in an adult population... but I wonder if cancer will level the playing field so to speak, particularly with cancers like skin cancer from tanning.

If the cell phones stick to normal RF generation I don't see the danger, but if they're producing microwaves than all safety bets are off.

bartholomeus
10-20-2008, 03:04 AM

A physics teacher who did nuclear research in his previous years actually explained to my class how it happens and using an equation to show how it acted like a microwave which means that it speeds up certain cells i can't remember the whole(half asleep and brain dead from exams) explanation but he told us that he always knew this would happen and that most scientists in their community suspect the same. I do remember him mentioning that this only happens during the time the phone is used for making a call and talking, which is when the phone gives off extremely strong waves to be able to send the voice and receive. Text message and when the phone is just on is negligible which is why its actually brain cancer that it produces. With the explosion in the use of blue tooth headsets however i would imagine men using these would get the waves in their legs or hips if the phone is carried there.

phobun
10-20-2008, 03:25 AM
http://www.scribd.com/full/6564199?access_key=key-2mzfbndgaoop3adn33cj

Stupid. Talking on a cell phone is a lot safer than sex.

Bostonman4tglady
10-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Let me preface my opinion with my background:

BSEE
FCC General RadioTelephone Operator's License with Ship Radar Endorsement
FCC Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator

Now, think of a cellular phone as a walkie talkie. It transmits and receives very much like any other hand held radio device; be it a CB radio, or those new handheld portable FM 'talkabout family radio service' radios.

The difference is the cellular frequencies operate much closer to the microwave spectrum (~850 MHz). CBs were down in the 27 MHz range, talkabouts in the 450-460 MHz range.

To minimize effects of any form of radiation calls for time, distance and shielding. Time is pretty self explanatory...the longer you're exposed, the greater the potential for harm. Distance; the closer the source of energy is to you, the greater the potential for harm. And shielding; if a transmitter is properly shielded you won't be exposed to any harmful radio waves (the shielded door of a microwave oven)

Now, having a device such as a cellular phone's antenna in such close proximity to you for extended periods of time simply has to have some effect. But because cell phones for the most part only came into widespread use in the past 10-15 years, there's simply not enough information yet to discount the risk associated with extended use.

In the 1980s when cell phones first hit the market (remember the big Motorola 'brick' you'd see often on Miami Vice?) there was concern in the public about the privacy of calls made on cellular phones.

There was a time when a fairly inexpensive scanner could be purchased at radio shack that would pick up cell phone calls. Then the cell phone lobby pushed congress to amend the Communications Act of 1934. For the first time, it became illegal to listen in to a specific transmitting device!

At first scanners were electronically altered to disrupt interception of frequencies in the cellular band. Often these modifications were simple enough to disable, allowing for the scanner to tune in to the full range of it's spectrum. Any scanner sold today has the cellular bands completely removed from the receiver's capability.

The cell phone lobbyists pushed this information and the public was assured that their conversations were indeed private and not susceptible to intercept. This allayed any fears and cell phone sales boomed.

It's my belief that if industry lobbyists can effectively push legislation making it illegal simply to listen in to portions of the radio spectrum (which has always been public domain to receive), can they not also have influence upon other risks as well?

They got the FCC to bow to them, who's to say the FDA, NIH, CDC and OSHA aren't in their pockets as well?

Strange how the only mention of risks is mentioned in European studies.

phobun
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Let me preface my opinion with my background:

BSEE
FCC General RadioTelephone Operator's License with Ship Radar Endorsement
FCC Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator

Now, think of a cellular phone as a walkie talkie. It transmits and receives very much like any other hand held radio device; be it a CB radio, or those new handheld portable FM 'talkabout family radio service' radios.

The difference is the cellular frequencies operate much closer to the microwave spectrum (~850 MHz). CBs were down in the 27 MHz range, talkabouts in the 450-460 MHz range.

To minimize effects of any form of radiation calls for time, distance and shielding. Time is pretty self explanatory...the longer you're exposed, the greater the potential for harm. Distance; the closer the source of energy is to you, the greater the potential for harm. And shielding; if a transmitter is properly shielded you won't be exposed to any harmful radio waves (the shielded door of a microwave oven)

Now, having a device such as a cellular phone's antenna in such close proximity to you for extended periods of time simply has to have some effect. But because cell phones for the most part only came into widespread use in the past 10-15 years, there's simply not enough information yet to discount the risk associated with extended use.

In the 1980s when cell phones first hit the market (remember the big Motorola 'brick' you'd see often on Miami Vice?) there was concern in the public about the privacy of calls made on cellular phones.

There was a time when a fairly inexpensive scanner could be purchased at radio shack that would pick up cell phone calls. Then the cell phone lobby pushed congress to amend the Communications Act of 1934. For the first time, it became illegal to listen in to a specific transmitting device!

At first scanners were electronically altered to disrupt interception of frequencies in the cellular band. Often these modifications were simple enough to disable, allowing for the scanner to tune in to the full range of it's spectrum. Any scanner sold today has the cellular bands completely removed from the receiver's capability.

The cell phone lobbyists pushed this information and the public was assured that their conversations were indeed private and not susceptible to intercept. This allayed any fears and cell phone sales boomed.

It's my belief that if industry lobbyists can effectively push legislation making it illegal simply to listen in to portions of the radio spectrum (which has always been public domain to receive), can they not also have influence upon other risks as well?

They got the FCC to bow to them, who's to say the FDA, NIH, CDC and OSHA aren't in their pockets as well?

Strange how the only mention of risks is mentioned in European studies.
Vote Obama, and He will save us from cell phones.