PDA

View Full Version : Music you grew up on?

MrsKellyPierce
10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Because of your parents/grandparents etc

I grew up on Elvis, Patty Loveless one of my favorite songs still is by her (I try to think about Elvis), Lesley Gore, The Supremes, and Tina Turner, Loretta Lynne, Crystal Gale, Dolly Parton, and Randy Travis. My mom would listen to all of these lots! And now I find myself listening to them haha but I would scream bloody murder to Randy Travis, except that song digging up bones haha

Thatiger23
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Well my parents listend to a lot of oldies and some country but when i went to my best friends grandmothers i would hear a lot of the tempations, sugar hill gang, luther, and a lot of other artists

ted naves
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I grew up listening to Classical and the likes of Sinatra. I'm Italian and from New York , so.

I also grew up listening to alot of great 80's music like Depeche Mode because of my older sister.
I'm 32.

MrsKellyPierce
10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Well my parents listend to a lot of oldies and some country but when i went to my best friends grandmothers i would hear a lot of the tempations, sugar hill gang, luther, and a lot of other artistsfind yourself listening to any of them?

altarica
10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Sinatra, Andy Williams, Handel, Sibelius, Bruchs, Tchaikovsky et al.
All good things to listen to to give an appreciation of all kinds of music.

Thatiger23
10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Well my parents listend to a lot of oldies and some country but when i went to my best friends grandmothers i would hear a lot of the tempations, sugar hill gang, luther, and a lot of other artistsfind yourself listening to any of them?

i listen to a lot of music but artists like the temptations luther WAR and a good number of others takes up a good amount of room on my pc hard drive

Thatiger23
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM

I grew up on Lesley Gore, The Supremes, and Tina Turner, Loretta Lynne, Crystal Gale, Dolly Parton, and Randy Travis. My mom would listen to all of these lots! And now I find myself listening to them haha but I would scream bloody murder to Randy Travis, except that song digging up bones haha

so what else do you like listening to now kelly?

Fox
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I could go on for pages , but I'll try to be concise. Most of the R&B my mother played, especially Whitney. :(

R&B:
Luther Vandross, Sade, Whitney Houston, Al Green, Aretha, Jackson 5 (and Micheal solo although he's pop), Nancy Wilson, etc...

Rap:
Dre, Snoop, Tupac, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, Jay-Z, Biggie, LL Cool J, etc.

I'm 24, but most of my childhood through the middle of high school those were the artists I heard the most of whether I played them or heard them on the radio, TV, wherever.

MrsKellyPierce
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM

I grew up on Lesley Gore, The Supremes, and Tina Turner, Loretta Lynne, Crystal Gale, Dolly Parton, and Randy Travis. My mom would listen to all of these lots! And now I find myself listening to them haha but I would scream bloody murder to Randy Travis, except that song digging up bones haha

so what else do you like listening to now kelly? I listen to all types really, from classical to hardcore rap. If the lyrics say something to me, make me think or relate to my life, I will like the song!

Thatiger23
10-09-2008, 10:12 AM

so what else do you like listening to now kelly? I listen to all types really, from classical to hardcore rap. If the lyrics say something to me, make me think or relate to my life, I will like the song!

thats cool

circ
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I grew up on Kiss and Black Sabbath and other 70s-80s metal acts. My dad listened mostly to rai and mom mostly to classical. I find both genres pretty shitty. These days I mostly listen to bleak 80s post-punk, experimental stuff and some industrial/electronic stuff like old YMO. I seem to like NIN too. I've been known to listen to older country on occasion and stuff like Brenda Lee, 60s-70s soul and funk, but I abhor present day pop in any of its forms and present day r&b and hip hop.

Justawannabe
10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Mom was huge singer-songwriter era listener, and Dad was a Beatles and Doo-wop era guy for straight radio, but we rarely turned it on unless we were doing chores, may have tainted things for me when I was young.

Fun times was musicals with my Mom... she loves those movies and I inherited some of that it seems as I find I like that for background music now days.

From my friends I found myself really getting to like all kinds of rock and dance music and like that for active listening. Still like a heavy metal/hair metal era stuff for driving, though I tend to get tickets then.

Like you Kelly, its the lyrics for me... if they catch me... I'll listen the rest of my life. My last male housemate was a huge country fan and he found stuff that talked to me so even that last bastion of stuff I didn't like I had to re-think.

Sean

boondocksaint
10-10-2008, 02:44 AM
my parents were like every other person in the suburbs, listening to smooth jazz WJZZ, stuff that makes youngens wanna jump out the car and walk to school.
during high school and stuff though i got into classic rock, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd,
then when i joined the army i stopped listening to rap and picked up metal from my roommate who listened to it full blast, i could hear it clearly while he had headphones on(and i thought i was dumb)
most recently i refreshed my interest in classical music when i took a music appreciation class. i realized that not all classical music is from the classical period

unctrld1
10-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Ahh, the '80's:

Strictly Hip Hop:
The Sugar Hill Gang; The Cold Crush Brothers; Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew; Slick Rick [A.K.A. MC Ricky D]; Boogie Down Productions/K.R.S. One; Biz Markie; N.W.A. & Eazy E; Eric B. & Rakim; Too Short.

I used to lover H.E.R.

I miss Hip Hop.

msbhaven
10-10-2008, 03:15 AM
I grew up on classic rock and I still love it today. Stuff like The Eagles, The Doors, Cream, Jimmy Hendrix, CCR, The Allman Brothers, and Lynard Skynard blows away any music that is being made today. Because I loved Classic Rock, I have grown to love Blues, and Jazz because all Classic Rock is based in those two genres, I also love old MoTown, and I listen to some Classical, and even a little Country. About the only thing I don't care for is HipHop, and Rap.

Alyssa87
10-10-2008, 03:31 AM
its ALWAYS been about these bitches...
(STILL some my favorite alltime albums)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/syykoet/898f.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/syykoet/hardcore4ny.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/syykoet/illnana.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/syykoet/Mary20J_20Blige20-20My20Life.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/syykoet/Faith_evans-faith.jpg

*edit*
i guess i also should mention
Biggie, Total, Toni Braxton, S&P, Whitney & Mariah.

*XScape, The Fugees, Erykah Badu

jeromes
10-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad, The Rolling Stones, Humble Pie, The Faces & Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, Sly Stone, The Who, The Beatles (of course), The Band, Leon Russell, Jethro Tull, The Allman Brothers, Cactus, Deep Purple, Bad Company, Free, ....

Y'know, It used to be Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n Roll.
Now it's Aids, Crack & Techno. :roll:

icarus2112
10-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Well mom and dad liked some musical sound tracks, and the ones I remember the most are Man Of LaMancha (sp?) and West Side Story. West side story may have influenced my appreciation of the Latina babes, Maria was soo hot ;) . Older brother and sister by 4 and 6 years introduced me to Black Sabbath, Rush, Jethro Tull, Styx and many others.

Rush is still my all time favorite band.

Quiet Reflections
10-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Punk, Hip-Hop,Metal, r&b/motown, classical, and Bluegrass to keep it as accurate as possible but i listened to pretty much anything as a kid. I have always had a great appreciation for talent even if i dont like they way its expressed.

Mista Bone
10-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Grew up on the 80s-90s rock scene....since the third grade...! was a KISS fan...KISS, Ratt, Quite Riot & Motley Crue were the first bands I listened to. Still do to this day...infact, Thats ALL I listen to still....Love the glam rock baby!

hippifried
10-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Well I'm starting to feel old now. :cry:
My folks were pre rock n roll. Dad was a midwest country boy who didn't get to listen to too much of them new fangled radio thingies until he was grown. He was a big Grand ol' Opry fan, but didn't buy records. So I grew up listening to Mom's big band swing music. I still like it. One of my favorite all time songs is still a country crossover that Mom had on a 4 track 45, 2nd track on side one after "Red Roses for a Blue Lady". It's "(ghost) Riders in the Sky" by Vaughn Monroe. I wore that record out. We heard the new rock stuff on the radio because the stations were eclectic back then. The only real niche stations were in the major markets. I saw the movie "Jailhouse Rock" in the theater when I was 6. I liked it, but Mom & Dad weren't impressed. We'd make a family night of it when "Hootinanny" came on, but then the Beatles showed up on Ed Sullivan when I was 13 & the generation gap was born.

russtafa
10-11-2008, 03:14 AM
i grew up on herb albert and the tijuarna brass ,dusty spring field.in my teens i was into glam rock. in my late teens rock a billy, oi and punk. now i listen to rythm and blues, harry conniick jnr,yazoo middle eastern

southern81
10-12-2008, 05:00 AM
mainly Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Hank Williams SR. and Jr., Rob Zombie, Tool

CORVETTEDUDE
10-12-2008, 05:28 AM
John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, The Real and Original Hank Williams and Patsy Cline (my Mother went to school with her)

Caff_Racer
10-13-2008, 12:03 AM
When I was 7 years old, my parents offered me a transistor radio/cassette player. I soon became addicted to a radio show on Capital Radio (I grew up just outside London) called the Monday Night Rock Show. I therefore cut my musical teeth on stuff like King Crimson, Yes, Blue Öyster Cult, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Genesis (the real Genesis with Peter Gabriel), Rush, Black Sabbath, etc, etc, etc...

jjhill
03-12-2009, 12:15 AM
From dad I got alot, from Parliament, Fleetwood Mac, Jr. Walker, Queen, etc
From mom I got alot too, like Gap Band,Berry White, Luther Vandross, etc
I fell in love with G-Funk

bte
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I grew up listening to (on my father's side) Jimi Hendrix, George Clinton and the Funkadelics and a lot of funk music. On my mum's side, I grew up listening to R&B such as Keith Sweat, Montel Jordan, R. Kelly. It's funny because now I still listen to that music from time to time, but now I listen to death metal music.

flabbybody
03-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I grew up on:
Billy Joel, Elton, Cat Stevens, Peter Frampton, Ian Anderson, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Jim Morrison, Sabbeth, Kiss, Beatles, Wings, Emerson Lake & Palmer

SXFX
03-12-2009, 12:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQVWH9u8Xo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viPWb3ieH6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHm-k5rRcww

Willie Escalade
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I grew up on Motown; that's what my parents played all of the time.

I do remember the electronic 80s though, when a hit could be made using only a keyboard and an 808 drum machine.

To this day I still listen to more older stuff than the newer stuff. I'm listening to Phyllis Hyman right now in my car!

cassieukts
03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Joy Division, New Order and The Smiths, i am a miserable bugger!

speedking59
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
growing up: country & western, western swing, gospel, show tunes, Gilbert & Sullivan, etc.

these days: hardcore, grindcore, powerviolence, death metal, etc.

DL_NL
03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
My parents raised me on Crosby Stills Nash, Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, War of the Worlds, some jazz.

My own interests range from classic rock via '80s New Wave and electronics, grunge to jazz and modern-day dance.

baileyandkc
03-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Herb Alpert...

How can you beat Tijuana Taxi, Spanish Flea, Mexican Shuffle and Whipped Cream? :violin

Merkurie
03-13-2009, 07:45 AM
From Dad: Otis Redding, Wilson Picket, Sam Cooke, Jackson 5
From Mom: Dionne Warwick, Johnny Mathis, Jose Feliciano
From other family: Stevie Wonder, O Jays, James Brown, and Country Western

As a child I really was into classic Rock back when it was just Rock :) Stones, Beatles, Lynard Skynard, Who, Creem etc. Then: Prince, Slave, Rick James, Grace Jones

Then I took the Red Pill
And found House
Havent been the same since.
[/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNje1dOMXBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNje1dOMXBU

Nivek
03-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I didn't have the option of changing the car radio when i was young, so i grew up on Motown Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder The Jackson 5 and other bands like the Beach Boys, The beatles, John Lennon and Billy Joel. Only after getting my own Walkman when i was like 14 did i discover how much the newer music totally sucked and was recycled music from the past.