PDA

View Full Version : New Tranny Television Show

NYTSJulie
10-02-2008, 12:35 AM
New tranny television show, it comes out mid October......gag its called "Sex Change Hospital", its on the WE channel (Women's Network).

Also tonight is the first show of the season of Dirty Sexy Money, with Candis.

They are putting trannys on tv for the sensationalism. Its like the freaking year of the tranny or something with all these shows. I personally don't like trannys being all over tv these days. I think eventually as people become more aware, it will make it harder for us to pass and lead normal lives.

Mac_Hine
10-02-2008, 12:51 AM
what's the show about, please explain as i am too lazy to google

oh and why can't you live a 'normal' life as a transsexual?

StaggerLee
10-02-2008, 12:56 AM
'The Year of the Tranny'-that's too funny, Julie. I hear what you are saying,tho-transsexualism is the latest fad on television. The one show that didn't sensationalize being ts was the one with the college students, where they followed them for an entire year, and showed their families and friends (can't remember the title right now, sorry).
But that new show about Trinidad doesn't sound like something that will last,hopefully. It will get attention at first, and then they will run out of new material. (wow, that was close to being a really bad sex-change pun-yikes)
And also, it is about damn time D/S/M came back on the air! Can't wait for 10 o'clock!

StaggerLee
10-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Transgeneration. That was the show about the college students. Pretty sure all eps are available online.
Also, here's an interesting article : http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2007/10/13/on_tv_shows_confronting_transgender_stereotypes/

TsJennifer
10-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Im looking forward in seeing more transexuals in the media!

T Oracle
10-02-2008, 01:41 AM
New tranny television show, it comes out mid October......gag its called "Sex Change Hospital", its on the WE channel (Women's Network).

This aired in a UK mainstream TV channel May 2007.

It's already been repeated here.

It must have aired in the US before now. ????????

Nowhere
10-02-2008, 02:05 AM

They are putting trannys on tv for the sensationalism. Its like the freaking year of the tranny or something with all these shows. I personally don't like trannys being all over tv these days. I think eventually as people become more aware, it will make it harder for us to pass and lead normal lives.

Nah, i'd disagree. The more people are aware and the less they're "shocked" by it, the less passing will matter. It's much like homosexuality in the media. Originally most people didn't know anyone who was gay. But, then there was a gay character on a show. Then, there were gay characters as a main part of shows. People become acclimated. More people come out of the closet as a result of that. People become more acclimated. Eventually most people at least "know of" someone who is gay or know someone who knows someone who is gay. It's common for ladies to have a gay friend. It becomes abnormal to not have known someone who is gay and been completely fine with it. That's how things have progressed and I have to say it's great that's happened.

The same thing can and will happen with transsexualism, if it's done right. And, that I mean, provided that it's not done in the 'circus freak show' modern version of it happening on Jerry Springer and Maury, since that does the opposite, dehumanizing you girls and keeping the 'shock factor' alive. When people become acclimated, they are humanized, seen as just part of the order of the universe, and there's no more 'shock.'

Eventually most people know of someone who knows someone born with their body not in line with their mind. They might have even heard of someone who has dated one. It becomes the norm to know that 'a girl is just a girl.' Eventually it's more unusual to have not at least been introduced to someone who has transitioned, like they've been sheltered their whole life. Eventually it becomes abnormal for anyone to be shocked by it and respect becomes the norm. Maybe even transitioning becomes so matter-of-fact that it's covered by insurance as a known condition and done at an early enough age that there's virtually no trauma in their lives. That's where it could eventually be.

Now, I don't know much about this new show, but in 'Dirty, Sexy Money', to me, Candis didn't come off as anything but simply a 'different' mistress, yet still a woman (and a recognized attractive woman).

So, that is definitely acclimation, which to me is in the right direction, even if it isn't perfect.

icarus2112
10-02-2008, 02:46 AM
I agree with Nowhere, initially even African Americans were put on TV as butts of jokes or bad stereotypes with limited roles, as were gays and lesbians. Maybe society deals with this "new" stuff poorly at first, but eventually aren't so frightened of these changes as time goes on. Soon that TS character wont have to whip it out while the camera zooms on the face of the "unsuspecting" person, with the other guys laughing.

Transgeneration seems like it was a good show, too bad it can't be viewed more mainstream, hopefully Sex Change Hospital will be done with class.

Yes T Oracle some UK programming takes a long time to air in US, if it makes it at all

NYTSJulie
10-02-2008, 03:27 AM

Nah, i'd disagree. The more people are aware and the less they're "shocked" by it, the less passing will matter. It's much like homosexuality in the media. Originally most people didn't know anyone who was gay. But, then there was a gay character on a show. Then, there were gay characters as a main part of shows. People become acclimated. More people come out of the closet as a result of that. People become more acclimated. Eventually most people at least "know of" someone who is gay or know someone who knows someone who is gay. It's common for ladies to have a gay friend. It becomes abnormal to not have known someone who is gay and been completely fine with it. That's how things have progressed and I have to say it's great that's happened.

The same thing can and will happen with transsexualism, if it's done right. And, that I mean, provided that it's not done in the 'circus freak show' modern version of it happening on Jerry Springer and Maury, since that does the opposite, dehumanizing you girls and keeping the 'shock factor' alive. When people become acclimated, they are humanized, seen as just part of the order of the universe, and there's no more 'shock.'

Eventually most people know of someone who knows someone born with their body not in line with their mind. They might have even heard of someone who has dated one. It becomes the norm to know that 'a girl is just a girl.' Eventually it's more unusual to have not at least been introduced to someone who has transitioned, like they've been sheltered their whole life. Eventually it becomes abnormal for anyone to be shocked by it and respect becomes the norm. Maybe even transitioning becomes so matter-of-fact that it's covered by insurance as a known condition and done at an early enough age that there's virtually no trauma in their lives. That's where it could eventually be.

Now, I don't know much about this new show, but in 'Dirty, Sexy Money', to me, Candis didn't come off as anything but simply a 'different' mistress, yet still a woman (and a recognized attractive woman).

So, that is definitely acclimation, which to me is in the right direction, even if it isn't perfect.

Yes I agree with you, hoping the end result will make people understand transsexualism better, where being a transsexual isn't an issue anymore.

So far the transsexual roles I have seen are not flattering or projecting transsexuals in a great light. TransAmerica, the TS role was played by a genetic woman that they made look very masculine, deep voice and overall kinda freakish. On Dirty Sexy Money, they have Candis playing the part of a down-low sex object and make Billy Baldwin look like a tranny chaser. I saw the preview of the new show coming out "Sex Change Hospital". It was people who transitioned at about 60 yrs old, looked like 60 yr old men now getting twats.

I remember seeing a show last year. It was a documentary, I forget what it was called but it was also on the WE Channel. Where this middle ages (45 ish) guy was going to Thailand to get SRS. The cameras followed him all through the process. He went to Thailand dressed as a male. Then when he came home they showed him getting off the plane (now with a twat) still wearing male clothing. He went shopping dressed as a man and made comments referring to "this is so cool". After I saw this show I thought to myself "GOD and shook my head", this is the image and representation of a transsexual that society is seeing.

Overall this is not the image I myself as a transsexual want people to see, because people who are uneducated think we are all just the same.

hondarobot
10-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Well, some people just don't "get it".

I think the media shouldn't be afraid to feature anything. Everyone is subject to scrutiny, that's what the media does. I have no problem with some weird 40 year old business guy finally finding some way to justify wearing panties. I don't ever want to meet that person, but more power to 'em. I honestly wouldn't ever consider that person a woman, regardless of how much lace and "giggles" they throw out there.

TS girls should take into account that the media will focus on "The Mid Life Emergence Of Chuck ala Cherri Butterfly" more because those people desperately want the attention, and that's the problem with how the public still views transgender women right now. The media doesn't know what to do with normal TS girls yet. They've probably never met any.

:shrug

MrsKellyPierce
10-02-2008, 04:36 AM
I agree with Nowhere, and I also believe more guys are getting more interested in transsexuals by the day :P

Steffani
10-02-2008, 05:36 AM
I think Julie is right initially because all the bigotry still remains, it won't change overnight and if we don't pass we have to deal with more societal bullshit. Most people don't see transsexuals as women and so far in the media we aren't really portrayed as women but as something less than. On Top Model it was never flat out stated > ' Hey this girl is a woman, period '. Isis was described by many in the media as 'Self Identifying' and the show said they are just trying to portray 'all kinds of beauty'.

So if these shows portray us as equals then society may begin to see the light rather than some freak show. People say be proud and out yourself...LOL to that...for now I will stay under the radar because I am not getting clocked now and its the first time since I transitioned I have been treated just like any other human and a woman. As soon as someone clocks it though...well...you know.

Nowhere
10-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Yes I agree with you, hoping the end result will make people understand transsexualism better, where being a transsexual isn't an issue anymore.

So far the transsexual roles I have seen are not flattering or projecting transsexuals in a great light. TransAmerica, the TS role was played by a genetic woman that they made look very masculine, deep voice and overall kinda freakish. On Dirty Sexy Money, they have Candis playing the part of a down-low sex object and make Billy Baldwin look like a tranny chaser. I saw the preview of the new show coming out "Sex Change Hospital". It was people who transitioned at about 60 yrs old, looked like 60 yr old men now getting twats.

I remember seeing a show last year. It was a documentary, I forget what it was called but it was also on the WE Channel. Where this middle ages (45 ish) guy was going to Thailand to get SRS. The cameras followed him all through the process. He went to Thailand dressed as a male. Then when he came home they showed him getting off the plane (now with a twat) still wearing male clothing. He went shopping dressed as a man and made comments referring to "this is so cool". After I saw this show I thought to myself "GOD and shook my head", this is the image and representation of a transsexual that society is seeing.

Overall this is not the image I myself as a transsexual want people to see, because people who are uneducated think we are all just the same.

Ok, we fully agree then. You are right on all points.

It's sort of funny, I actually made a point NOT to see Transamerica since it came off as a terrible portrayal and a negative hit to the community (not that I'm judging anyone who did - it was a personal choice), whereas i've seen every other one under the sun, Princesa, All About My Mother, Breakfast on Pluto, Madame Sata, you name it...

Alyssa87
10-02-2008, 05:45 AM
is it a medical show?

hondarobot
10-02-2008, 05:52 AM
is it a medical show?

Heh. I think it's more like "Deal Or No Deal" many times.

:lol:

Alyssa87
10-02-2008, 05:54 AM
is it a medical show?

Heh. I think it's more like "Deal Or No Deal" many times.

:lol:

if thats a joke, im not getting it :? ...

hondarobot
10-02-2008, 05:57 AM
It was a joke. It wasn't a very good one, but what can I do now?

:?

Alyssa87
10-02-2008, 05:58 AM
uuh tell me what the show is really about.
if you know.

NYTSJulie
10-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Here is a link

http://www.wetv.com/sex-change-hospital

Based in Trinidad, Colorado, this six-part series follows patients as they arrive in this Old West mining town—dubbed the 'Sex Change Capital of the World'—to see Dr. Marci Bowers, formerly Mark Bowers, who'll provide them with the ultimate life-changing operation. From retired grandfathers to construction workers, businessman to office managers, each shares their unique story of how they came to terms with their sexuality.

hondarobot
10-02-2008, 06:02 AM
I have no idea at this point. I'm just hanging out tonight.

Alyssa87
10-02-2008, 06:03 AM
hmmm. i dont know if i'll like that. but we'll see.

Julie, is your top wet in that avatar?

NYTSJulie
10-02-2008, 06:05 AM
hmmm. i dont know if i'll like that. but we'll see.

Julie, is your top wet in that avatar?

lol yes its wet, I took a water bottle and poured it on me

Alyssa87
10-02-2008, 06:06 AM
but u made sure not to get your hair wet too.lol

NYTSJulie
10-02-2008, 06:09 AM
but u made sure not to get your hair wet too.lol

No girl couldn't get the hair wet lol. When my hair gets wet is turns to hell. I just poured it down my my front my hair was back when I did it

NYTSJulie
10-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I watched Dirty Sexy Money and I think Candis is not on it anymore, Billy Baldwins wife on the show said she "had her taken care of" so I dont know??????

msbhaven
10-03-2008, 06:32 AM
At least they are actually letting Tgirls play Tgirls now. Trans girls have always been the butt of the joke on tv and in movies unfortunately. Everything from the Simpsons to Night Court to Dude, Where's My Car and everything in between has used Tgirls as punch lines. The difference now at least is that Tgirls are actually getting those roles instead of them being given to Ggirls. I suppose that is progess of a sort. It's probably more then we should expect from some of the backwards ass narrow minded people in this country.

Oh and Julie I don't think you will ever have to worry about passing baby.

Steffani
10-03-2008, 09:35 AM
At least they are actually letting Tgirls play Tgirls now. Trans girls have always been the butt of the joke on tv and in movies unfortunately. Everything from the Simpsons to Night Court to Dude, Where's My Car and everything in between has used Tgirls as punch lines. The difference now at least is that Tgirls are actually getting those roles instead of them being given to Ggirls. I suppose that is progess of a sort. It's probably more then we should expect from some of the backwards ass narrow minded people in this country.

Oh and Julie I don't think you will ever have to worry about passing baby.

This is true, but if this show is showing Uncle Bob going in for a sex change as a guy and when he comes out of the hospital throwing on a dress and saying something like "I'm a woman now, thats for sure!" lol then maybe a GG would be better playing the role.

msbhaven
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I totally agree Steffani.

Real Tgirls in the media seem to fall in to two categories. The first category is girls so passable that they use the "shock" factor as a joke or drama devise. The other is the girl that is sooo unpassable that she represents the "guy in a dress" cliche.

It's like the powers that be act like they will be criticized if they present us as average human beings.

sucka4chix
10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Hmmm. My take on all of this is very different. I don't think shows make much of a difference. Most males I never would never watch DSM in the first place, let alone if they knew a TS was on it. Straight or so-called straight guys are not going to make up a significant part of any audience for these shows, so it's not gonna effect their perception one way or another.
I also disagree that the media has changed feelings toward homosexuals. Most people I know with negative feelings toward homosexuals have them because homosexuals make their lifestyle an issue. Deep down these people don't care that Doogie Houser is gay, they just don't want to hear about it. They don't want it forced "down their throats", LOL.
When people living alternative lifestyles stop making it a big deal that they're leading alternative lifestyles, that's when it'll get better.
I doubt the average male knows anything about Candis, and that's the way it should be.
When it stops being a news story everytime a TS is on tv is when there's progress being made.

Anon_E_Miss
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
When people living alternative lifestyles stop making it a big deal that they're leading alternative lifestyles, that's when it'll get better.
I doubt the average male knows anything about Candis, and that's the way it should be.
When it stops being a news story everytime a TS is on tv is when there's progress being made.

I disagree on this. Alternative life styles, as in gays etc have proper legal protection, people understand what it means (even those who are "opposed" [???] to it) and most of society recognises it, understands it, and accepts it.

Not one of those points is applicable to trans people. The UK government had to try and pass an amendment last year so we couldn't be kicked out of shops or toilets just for the hell of it. We have to jump through a million hoops to get treatment. Most people couldn't tell you the difference between a TS and a TV and would be quite comfortable saying we have a perversion or are confused without so much as flinching.

Until society can understand gender isn't binary, there is a place for real television shows and what not, and there should be appropriate education as well. So long as things like this (http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/News/UK/PFC_alert_re_demonstration_against_Ken_Zucker.htm) can continue and it isn't possible for every trans person (regardless of whether or not they pass, what difference should that make?) to live in their real gender without hassle or bother, further work needs to go on.

It's not a problem that's going to just go away by itself, there simply aren't enough of us for that option, and those that pass aren't noticed either so that limits the "contact" effect also.

scroller
10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I disagree on this. Alternative life styles, as in gays etc have proper legal protection, people understand what it means (even those who are "opposed" [???] to it) and most of society recognises it, understands it, and accepts it.

What you say may be true for the UK/EU. It is not true for the US. Our people are generally more ignorant and superstitious. Most of society does not accept gays, and there generally aren't legal protections for it.

Anon_E_Miss
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM

What you say may be true for the UK/EU. It is not true for the US. Our people are generally more ignorant and superstitious. Most of society does not accept gays, and there generally aren't legal protections for it.

Fair enough. In the UK there's still a bit of a way to go, but it's illegal to discriminate in almost anyway in day to day life, job interviews, healthcare, housing etc, and even gay "marriages" are legal. But that just goes further to prove my point that, the problem wont just go away by itself and fair and real media exposure and education is still an important thing.

sucka4chix
10-03-2008, 08:57 PM
The fact of the matter is the transgender plight is DEEPLY related to the struggles of homosexuals! I submit this us the most significant roadblock to acceptance. Even guys who love TSes hate the association with gay males. If you forced them to realize that the object of their affections are gay males, most would have nervous breakdowns. They are able to cope because they don't see a TS as a gay male.
However most people do! The people who are "homophobic" (misnomer) do. The individuals that realize a TS on South Beach is not the hot chick they thought, don't yell out "that's a transsexual", they yell out "that's a Nigga" or "that's a dude".
The reason most people don't accept a TS is because they see them not only a fag, but a fag they were attracted to!

Justawannabe
10-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Funny I hear that argument a lot from normal hetro folks... the don't force it down my throat stuff. But no has ever asked them not to take their girlfriend to their fathers 65th birthday so they don't offend the business partners.

No has had them have an entire section at a sporting event start a chant to get them thrown out because they kissed their partner who brought them back an unexpected beer.

No one has had an apartment suddenly denied because they introduced their partner rather than their husband. And had the DA laugh at them over whether they had a case for discrimination.

Let's skip all the beatings and such...

No, when hetro folks have to walk a couple feet apart and show no sign of affection in public to be safe, and hide their relationships with the TS girlfriend so they can get the same price on a car, or pretend that their partner is 'just a roommate' to get a place to live... then I will stop shoving it down their throats.

Sean

Justawannabe
10-04-2008, 04:18 AM
On topic its a nice town, but I can't image there is enough stuff there to make a show.

Steffani
10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
The fact of the matter is the transgender plight is DEEPLY related to the struggles of homosexuals! I submit this us the most significant roadblock to acceptance. Even guys who love TSes hate the association with gay males. If you forced them to realize that the object of their affections are gay males, most would have nervous breakdowns. They are able to cope because they don't see a TS as a gay male.
However most people do! The people who are "homophobic" (misnomer) do. The individuals that realize a TS on South Beach is not the hot chick they thought, don't yell out "that's a transsexual", they yell out "that's a Nigga" or "that's a dude".
The reason most people don't accept a TS is because they see them not only a fag, but a fag they were attracted to!

First off, neither is a lifestyle but people who are either gay and/or TS can indulge in various lifestyles. People who are gay have an attraction to their same sex, period. People who are transexxual identify with the opposite sex. They change their physical anatomy to match what is normally asociated with the identity (gender) they possess. Thus they are women who have to work harder on their appearance than women who were already born with the correct anatomy.

Secondly, The reason that most people don't accept a TS is because they have the same bigoted view that you do, that it is a lifestyle. And many people think that flies in the face of God. both of your posts here show quite clearly that you yourself have a deep seated bigoted view of both gays and TSs. And I separate those two titles because they are separate things. People also hate Blacks, Jews, and anyone else that doesn't fit their neat little perception of the universe.

People are not attracted to transsexuals, many get sick to their stomachs when they think about it because it has been made such a taboo by society. People hate and loath transsexuals more than they ever would someone who is gay, because at least the gay guy or girl looks more like them, at least to them.

But even if everything you said was 100% right, who cares, it makes no difference, the fact is that a hatered is perpetuated based on misperceptions due to ignorance. And TV shows could correct some of that, depending on what they portray.