PDA

View Full Version : The King Of Scotland

KiraHarden
09-30-2008, 04:44 AM
I know this movie has been out a few yrs, but if you haven't seen this movie. Your missing out on a amazing performance

Forrest Whittaker performance is just so incredibly strong as Amin. Its one of the greastest performances ever

Alyssa87
09-30-2008, 04:44 AM
the LAST king, mami.

and yea it was all that! i was seriously afraid of him thru most of his screentime!!

Quiet Reflections
09-30-2008, 05:34 AM
I know this movie has been out a few yrs, but if you haven't seen this movie. Your missing out on a amazing performance

Forrest Whittaker performance is just so incredibly strong as Amin. Its one of the greastest performances ever
yup

slinky
09-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Idi Amin Dada was one seriously fucked up individual.

Baron Of Hell
09-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah this is a great movie. Centers more on the doctor than Amin.

NYBURBS
09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Yea it was a great film.

KiraHarden
09-30-2008, 08:13 AM
the LAST king, mami.

and yea it was all that! i was seriously afraid of him thru most of his screentime!!

I was frighted as well.

TomSelis
09-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Hmm, my family's from Uganda. None of them will watch it. I was born a few years after they were run out. From the stories I've heard, Forrest Whittaker had his personality down.

FiremanforTS
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Great flick, no doubt about it.

trannybanger
09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Incredible film for sure. Whitaker is gifted.

Clind
09-30-2008, 10:07 PM
for anyone the doctor is a fiction character thow there was a white person closed to Amin Dada , he was a mercenarie that fought with Amin Dada in the Royal Rifles or something ,i liked also the film even if i prefered to have more historical scenario (i m talking about the doctor story).

GroobySteven
09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Excellent film but it was marred for me. They say based on actual events.
Well some of the Amin events were actual but the rest was based on a novel. The doctor and his account are entirely fictional.

Whittaker is awesome though - in everything he's in - recently The Shield he turned in the best performance and he made Vantage Point much more enjoyable.
He also is into transsexuals.

KiraHarden
09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Well some of the Amin events were actual but the rest was based on a novel. The doctor and his account are entirely fictional.

Whittaker is awesome though - in everything he's in - recently The Shield he turned in the best performance and he made Vantage Point much more enjoyable.

I watched the commentary the director said that it was ment to be more of a fictional thriller based on some true parts of history about Amin

Alyssa87
09-30-2008, 10:47 PM

He would be :anon

Moon_Lover
09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
We very much enjoyed the movie, whether it was fictional or true. very gripping story and amazing performance.

Kisses

Jenny

Caramel
09-30-2008, 11:56 PM
You have great taste in films obviously, Kira. Forrest really didn't even have most of the spotlight in this movie but the cream rises to the top. Amin is one of the scariest dudes in history, not far removed from Hitler. It must have freaked him more than a little bit portraying him. Aw, jeez, I'm talking movies again. I'm still messed up over the loss of Paul Newman. At any rate, kudos for great actors and great films.

arnie666
09-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I really enjoyed this film. I believe there was a white doctor either close to Amin or another African dictator. I remember reading a kind of expose about it in the Daily Telegraph.Talking about how this guy assisted in someway in the killings.It certainly wasn't a nice piece on the guy like 'guess who I used to have as my patient'

I don't think he was scottish but english although I could be wrong and I can't remember him shagging one of Amins wives. (he must have been nuts :shock: )

TomSelis
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm floored at people's knowledge of Uganda during Idi's stint.

Wow.

Caramel
10-01-2008, 12:26 AM
True Mr. G. Mr. Whittaker is seriously supportive of transsexuals, more so than another high profile Black Hollywood actor who's a household name. Oops, did I just say that outloud?

Transamerica was also based on actual events but I hated it and wished that someone like Calpernia Adams or one of her recommended transsexual actresses starred in it. Felicity Huffman sucked in my opinion. Watching her star in Transamerica was like watching a minstrel show to me. Somehow, even though I know that John Cameron Mitchell is not a transsexual, Hedwig and the Angry Inch rocked me. A Soldier's Girl was incredible and the star wasn't a transsexual. I think I might open a vein if I see another gg or tg on YouTube reenacting another Rocky Horror scene but I appreciate it's worth.

I'm not exactly down with Ving Rhames playing 'Harmony Heart' but even he did whatever it was he did with dignity and respect.

I've got a question. Who in the mainstream goes out of there way to support transsexuals? I'm not suggesting that a great many Hollywood producers and directors don't support the tg/ts lifestyle. I just would like a reminder of who does for my own personal cerebral inventory. Everyone knows that actor Steven Rhea ( The Crying Game) is down for us but can we come up with anyone else? By the way, I'd love to see major player like the Weinstein Brothers or even Oliver Stone hook up on a project with Calpernia Adams even if just as a consultant. Who has the most direct line to transsexual movies which will be made in the future? I hope America doesn't think that Trans America was the end all, be all of the lifestyle. If so and if that's all they know, no wonder the TG/TS movement is so far from the rest of the LGBT community in terms of progress.

KiraHarden
10-01-2008, 01:17 AM
You have great taste in films obviously, Kira. Forrest really didn't even have most of the spotlight in this movie but the cream rises to the top. Amin is one of the scariest dudes in history, not far removed from Hitler. It must have freaked him more than a little bit portraying him. Aw, jeez, I'm talking movies again. I'm still messed up over the loss of Paul Newman. At any rate, kudos for great actors and great films.

[quote=KiraHarden_TS]I know this movie has been out a few yrs, but if you haven't seen this movie. Your missing out on a amazing performance

Forrest Whittaker performance is just so incredibly strong as Amin. Its one of the greastest performances ever[/
quote]

Oh yeah FW stayed in character for the 3 months of filming. He ate mashed bananas, drank, stayed in dialect and hung out with Amin's closest advisors even when not shooting.

There's parts of Uganda that never new he died and when they were filming the scene were the dr first meets him in the crowd scene.

Many thought he was the real Amin and asked why he kept repeatng the same speach during filming during additional takes.

Anyway the director asked Forrest what he was gonna do after filming. He said I can't wait to shed this skin. Playing that part took a toll on him mentally

andyuk
10-01-2008, 01:24 AM
have to agree.
great film.

Gatling
10-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Fantastic film. The final sequence is just incredible.

Amin says something like "your death will be the only real thing from your time in Africa"

Plus, with all due respect to Charlize Theron in the Cider House Rules, the scene with Kerry Washington's breathtaking ass may be the greatest scene in cinematic history.

Near the end of this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZhuPaGQUGw

Wino the SuperHero
10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
I like how you could see the world through Idi eyes. How he saw the world and those around him. Also how those around saw him.

He had a vision, he wanted to better his people and his country. Its sad how power corrupted him. Its worse how he killed and destroyed his own people.