PDA

View Full Version : The Presidential Debate, Episode 1

hondarobot
09-27-2008, 02:58 AM
I hope everyone on the forum is watching the debate tonight. It's a Friday night, but it's still too early to go out anyways, so tune in. Starts in 3 minutes.

:idea:

stillies77
09-27-2008, 03:21 AM
if mccain says pork barrell one more time im sending him back to vietnam.

Alyssa87
09-27-2008, 03:26 AM
thank you. my friend was about to put on some stupid movie.

ive been looking foward to this forever. i cant believe i forgot.

stillies77
09-27-2008, 03:27 AM
is it me or does mccain look super nervous...he keeps moving and making weird faces...obama is straight and being solid...he is a rock.

hondarobot
09-27-2008, 03:37 AM
It's like watching Muhammad Ali in his prime fighting someone's crazy old grandfather, not much of a fight so far.

I had to laugh at McCain's defending further corporate tax cuts, because, ya know, otherwise all those companies are going to move to. . . Ireland.

:lol:

Paladin
09-27-2008, 03:54 AM
I can't believe that Obama let mccain get away ofn the tax cuts issue without bringing up that mccain replied when asked what he considered middle class as being "oh, about $5 MILLION or under" WTF :?: :?: :evil: :evil: :?: :?:

Fox
09-27-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm watching on CNN.

LilWyte
09-27-2008, 04:01 AM
if john mccain whistles or says 'warsh' one more time in changing the channel

Paladin
09-27-2008, 04:01 AM
He also should have better rammed home the fact that the nearly $1 TRILLION spent - actually WASTED on Iraq has given us NO RETURN and actually exceeds the 700 billion proposed in the bailite / whatever you want to call it.

He's doing fine, but could do even better.

Paladin
09-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Mccain does not get it, we aren't going to win there, stalemate is the best possibility regardless of the surge...

Here we go on Iran, i hope obame brings up the bomb iran song again!

Legend
09-27-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm glad obama brought up "bomb bomb iran".

Paladin
09-27-2008, 04:08 AM
neither one realizes that without Russian cooperation we will get NOWHERE with either iran or nothk korea.

Note tha Russia borders both (with iran via the Capsian for any of you jackasses who think your are smarter than me, because you are not.)

Paladin
09-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Oh no, mccain brought up that sily seal that obama had on his podium from way back. That was a gaffe on obama's part, but apparently mccains advisors remembered it because he certainly forgot it.

hondarobot
09-27-2008, 04:45 AM
That was odd. It was difficult to follow what the hell McCain was rambling on about sometimes. He should have just paraphrased his comments by saying "I'm a lot older then that guy! Did I mention that I'm old? I also thought someone was bringing lemonade to this debate thing. . . uh, where am I?"

Episode 2: Palin Vs Biden, coming up Oct 2nd. That should be amusing.

Paladin
09-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Interestingly, the talking heads are neutral to slightly in favor of mccain getting the better end of the deal. I think it was a toss-up, but that in and of itself favored obama.

ottorocket
09-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Mccain was on top of his game after a nervous start..., he was direct, outlined his opponents weakness' and showed an off the cuff type experience especially in foreign policy. Did anyone think BHO's answers seemed memorized?? Obama seemed very irritated, arrogant and had a collegiate type book learned response, and empathized more with the economic issues with some eloquence, even if his ground up tax policies and large spending proposals IMO aren't the best plan for economic recovery. I'd give Mccain a slight edge for getting Obama to react with somewhat negative reactions caught on camera, rude interuptions, and overall found Mccain to look more in control of the night and of the issues.

stillies77
09-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Mccain was on top of his game after a nervous start..., he was direct, outlined his opponents weakness' and showed an off the cuff type experience especially in foreign policy. Did anyone think BHO's answers seemed memorized?? Obama seemed very irritated, arrogant and had a collegiate type book learned response, and empathized more with the economic issues with some eloquence, even if his ground up tax policies and large spending proposals IMO aren't the best plan for economic recovery. I'd give Mccain a slight edge for getting Obama to react with somewhat negative reactions caught on camera, rude interuptions, and overall found Mccain to look more in control of the night and of the issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Alyssa87
09-27-2008, 06:04 AM
thanksagain

NYBURBS
09-27-2008, 06:07 AM
neither one realizes that without Russian cooperation we will get NOWHERE with either iran or nothk korea.

Note tha Russia borders both (with iran via the Capsian for any of you jackasses who think your are smarter than me, because you are not.)

Yes because by that logic NY borders France lol, there's only that pesky little ocean between us :roll: By the way I'd guess that at least 50% of the members of this board are smarter than you, but you're probably too dumb to realize that. How about next time you refer to Russia and Iran as neighbors, that would be a more accurate description.

stillies77
09-27-2008, 06:26 AM

Yes because by that logic NY borders France lol, there's only that pesky little ocean between us :roll: By the way I'd guess that at least 50% of the members of this board are smarter than you, but you're probably too dumb to realize that. How about next time you refer to Russia and Iran as neighbors, that would be a more accurate description.

http://sub2change.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Legend
09-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Fuck mccain brought up reagan like one hundred freakin times,i think mccain came across as a arrogrant jerk that couldn't even look at obama or direct anything to him.

scubaman
09-27-2008, 06:50 AM
:D

Justawannabe
09-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Glad I watched it, Obama should get the win by my lights as I thought he had a better grasp of the issues. McCain seemed to have a more aggressive stance, and more powerful delivery... but he pulled up to many flat out lies for me (not that Obama is blameless in that category.)

Sadly I think the American public will give McCain the nod off this, as we tend to like bullies. The Dems should be able to pull this one out no issue... but I think the ball may have been dropped already. As Mathews pointed out over and over... we had hard economic realities to punch home with... and Obama just won't punch. Dodge, parry... sure... but without the thrust he won't win.

Sean

thx1138
09-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Obama wore his flag pin, McCain did NOT. I guess he (McCain) hates our soldiers and our freedoms. :>)

Christastic
09-27-2008, 08:33 AM
All the post-debate polling seems to give the win to Obama, which I think is spot on, but Obama could have handed McCain his nuts with all the material McCain has given him over this campaign. I have to think it was intentional for Obama not to, to avoid looking like a jackass, which is what McCain did look like through most of the night.

Also, calling yourself a maverick is pretty pathetic.

revinsx
09-27-2008, 08:51 AM
are you kidding about mccain hating the country!?! obama is the one allways talking bad about the country and biden he is a draft dogger he feels he can run the country but wont enlist or commission to defend it hmmm weird thats just who i want in charge a guy who wouldnt even defend the country and a guy who grew up in another.

thx1138
09-27-2008, 12:03 PM
@revinsx: Bush was a deserter and cheney was a draft dodger. That didn't preclude them from running the country. Moreover why don't you ask the other POWS with McCain (finished 396 in a class of 400) in the "Hanoi Hilton" why they called him "songbird"? My original remark was a facetious one. Obama was severely criticized earlier this year for NOT wearing a flag pin. Now in an important debate MCCain fails to do the same and nary a peep from anyone. The usual republican hipocracy. BTW: re vet issues, MCCain voted 8 times AGAINST giving US vets additonal benefits. Sounds to me he hates them.

thx1138
09-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Obama won: http://www.americablog.com/2008/09/obama-won-cnn-poll-of-debate-watchers.html flag pin:
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/26/highlights-for-pundits-and-the-rest-of-us/

thx1138
09-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Continuing the bush practice of lying repeatedly to the American people McCain states:
http://www.americablog.com/2008/09/mccains-double-talk.html

TSLoverUK999
09-27-2008, 01:51 PM
If you Yanks don't vote Obama in you will not only make things worse for yourselves but for the rest of the world too. With him and the English government working together (I don't believe all that "special bond" shit, business is business !) a lot could be achieved !

What makes me laugh, is what a percentage of you look for in a candidate, its ridiculous. If the election race was going on over here McCain would have been laughed out just on the basis of being a doddery old man, despite the fact that Obama has a superior intellect, presentational & speech skills.

I watched the debate on BBC News24, McCain was laughable, constantly avoiding the issues and trying to put himself over, I found myself screaming at the TV "old man your party has just cost the American people trillions upon trillions of dollars, who will vote for you".

Obama has a stronger team, fresh ideas, clear plans for the future and the last time his party were in power your country had a strong economy. What does McCain offer ?

I just hope the proportion of your country that have narrow minded views realise they are being screwed and get over the fact that Obama is black........but knowing your country McCain will get in !

I personally feel this is a massive turning point in history and it greatly upsets me that its in your country's hands !

Paladin
09-27-2008, 06:32 PM

For your information, no part of the Caspian sea is considered international waters. It is essentially a lake and both Russia and Iran are laying claim to the the same parts of the Caspian so please dig your head out of your ass This is going to be a future source of international contention, but you can keep on looking at what you ate for dinner in blissful CRI ignorance.

NYBURBS
09-27-2008, 06:42 PM

For your information, no part of the Caspian sea is considered international waters. It is essentially a lake and both Russia and Iran are laying claim to the the same parts of the Caspian so please dig your head out of your ass This is going to be a future source of international contention, but you can keep on looking at what you ate for dinner in blissful CRI ignorance.

Right and that makes them border each other how? I never said it wasn't an area of contention, I'm just pointing out that they do not border each other. Of course to you the first Amendment is "government shall not like one religion more than another but there is no separation" or some crazy shit lol. What's your version of the second Amendment? "The right of the people to keep and bear nerf guns shall not be infringed?"

El Nino
09-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Obama is a liar as well. Don't fool yourselves. He is an establishment puppet for his elite lords.

hippifried
09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If you Yanks don't vote Obama in you will not only make things worse for yourselves but for the rest of the world too. With him and the English government working together (I don't believe all that "special bond" shit, business is business !) a lot could be achieved !

What makes me laugh, is what a percentage of you look for in a candidate, its ridiculous. If the election race was going on over here McCain would have been laughed out just on the basis of being a doddery old man, despite the fact that Obama has a superior intellect, presentational & speech skills.

I watched the debate on BBC News24, McCain was laughable, constantly avoiding the issues and trying to put himself over, I found myself screaming at the TV "old man your party has just cost the American people trillions upon trillions of dollars, who will vote for you".

Obama has a stronger team, fresh ideas, clear plans for the future and the last time his party were in power your country had a strong economy. What does McCain offer ?

I just hope the proportion of your country that have narrow minded views realise they are being screwed and get over the fact that Obama is black........but knowing your country McCain will get in !

I personally feel this is a massive turning point in history and it greatly upsets me that its in your country's hands !
Uh oh! I can already feel the groundswell from this post, welling up from Redneckia like a giant boil on the ass of the American dream, screaming:
"T'ain't no pommy pinko fag gwine tell me how tuh vote!"

Be prepared. :lol:

chefmike
09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Obama is a liar as well. Don't fool yourselves. He is an establishment puppet for his elite lords.

Ron Paul is an alien.

El Nino
09-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Chef is in denial and his government cares so much about him!

Paladin
09-29-2008, 07:55 AM

Right and that makes them border each other how? I never said it wasn't an area of contention, I'm just pointing out that they do not border each other. Of course to you the first Amendment is "government shall not like one religion more than another but there is no separation" or some crazy shit lol. What's your version of the second Amendment? "The right of the people to keep and bear nerf guns shall not be infringed?"

Actually I blieve that the second ammendment is what has kept the other 9 intact over the years. I've extensively studied history and most plunges into despotism were facilitated in whole or part be a disarmed civil populace.

My same arguments on the english language hold here, the right of the people is later in the sentence, hence it carries more importance.

Same with the 10th ammendment and with othere. Most people have no idea what the 10th ammendment is, and its impotrance as a limite on the pwer of the federal government. unfortunately, the feds have found ways around it, largely through more recent ammendments.

And for the last time i am no a religious righter. I just don't believe in the ALCU or anyone else trying to take away my rights to my religion, and i still son't see any form of the word separate in the clause on religion. The gov't can't establish or favor a religion nor can they prevent free expression of anyone's religion. hell the militsary has had to recognize some religions that they would rather pretend don't exist. I can't wait to see the wiccan chaplains.

For that matter where are the bhuddist and hindu chaplains.

Pisses me off that they try to shove chaplains down your throat over in the sandbox.

NYBURBS
09-29-2008, 08:21 AM
And for the last time i am no a religious righter. I just don't believe in the ALCU or anyone else trying to take away my rights to my religion, and i still son't see any form of the word separate in the clause on religion. The gov't can't establish or favor a religion nor can they prevent free expression of anyone's religion. hell the militsary has had to recognize some religions that they would rather pretend don't exist. I can't wait to see the wiccan chaplains.

Pisses me off that they try to shove chaplains down your throat over in the sandbox.
The prohibition on establishment is very much the separation of church and state. The first Amendment deals with various forms of expression and is not formed to grant more importance to later clauses than early ones. It was merely that multiple proposed Amendments were later merged into one before being submitted to the states.

My nerf gun statement was simply my way of saying to be very careful when stating what is or is not in the constitution. In my opinion it is an individual right and a crucial one.

The 10th Amendment was not really killed off by the 14th Amendment, what has done in the 10th Amendment is the courts interpretation of the Commerce Clause and the Necessary and Proper Clause. The States could fix the situation by calling for a convention but so far it has not reached the 2/3 of the needed applications. The 14th Amendment simply corrected something that was left out of the original Bill of Rights and that is an acknowledgment that certain rights must also be respected by the States.

I'm actually not bashing on you here. I just have a strong distaste for religious zealots and that is how your original post came off. After reading that first one I had all intentions of storming your perimeter and taking no prisoners. I'm more than happy to have people argue against my points of view, including you, and if I came off too strong then my apologies.

PS- You're still wrong about the separation argument though :wink:

Paladin
09-29-2008, 09:02 AM

The prohibition on establishment is very much the separation of church and state. The first Amendment deals with various forms of expression and is not formed to grant more importance to later clauses than early ones. It was merely that multiple proposed Amendments were later merged into one before being submitted to the states.

My nerf gun statement was simply my way of saying to be very careful when stating what is or is not in the constitution. In my opinion it is an individual right and a crucial one.

The 10th Amendment was not really killed off by the 14th Amendment, what has done in the 10th Amendment is the courts interpretation of the Commerce Clause and the Necessary and Proper Clause. The States could fix the situation by calling for a convention but so far it has not reached the 2/3 of the needed applications. The 14th Amendment simply corrected something that was left out of the original Bill of Rights and that is an acknowledgment that certain rights must also be respected by the States.

I'm actually not bashing on you here. I just have a strong distaste for religious zealots and that is how your original post came off. After reading that first one I had all intentions of storming your perimeter and taking no prisoners. I'm more than happy to have people argue against my points of view, including you, and if I came off too strong then my apologies.

PS- You're still wrong about the separation argument though :wink:

I'm just being a smart ass when i say that separation isn't in that clause. The original intent was to keep the government OUT of religion, but not for the people to necessarily all convert to being atheists. That's what I meant by freedon of religion not freedom from religion which is what the ALCU seems to try to shove up peoples asses nowadays. We are some 80-90% christains in the US but some places won't allow a christmas tree in the commons. but the same places mandata annoying LOUDSPEAKERS that can be heard for MILES to play call forprayers. WTF is up with that :twisted:

PapaGrande
09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I wasn't impressed with either of these losers.

Its the Warfare-Welfare party vs the Welfare-Warfare party, ohh boy what a choice. Keep telling yourself your making a big difference by voting in Nov.

El Nino
10-01-2008, 05:37 AM
[quote="PapaGrande"]I wasn't impressed with either of these losers.

Its the Warfare-Welfare party vs the Welfare-Warfare party, ohh boy what a choice. Keep telling yourself your making a big difference by voting in Nov.[/quote

agreed