PDA

View Full Version : I love to read and watch Scifi Am i a nerd

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm a avid reader of scifi books. Elves dwarves and dragons. Does this make me a nerd.

Ed Jaxson thinks so.

Teydyn
09-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Does this make me a nerd
No.

Unless you start to memorize the name, height, weight, hair color, special abilities and more for each character in the books you read... =)

lupinIII
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Precisely, one can have circles of interest that intersect with circles of nerdiness without actually being a nerd. And even if you are, who gives a shit?

IsuckTgirlCock
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
sci fi is an extropolation of current technology and modern frontiers of human achievement. not unusual to find that stuff interesting, doesnt make someone a nerd cuz they do. now, if youre reading books with fabio on the cover, then, im not sure what youd be

ed_jaxon
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Kira you are a nerd and there is nothing wrong with that.

When I was young I used to love reading Conan comics and even novels. The art by Boris was incredible.

Funny, the girls in the comics were built a lot like you.

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
sci fi is an extropolation of current technology and modern frontiers of human achievement. not unusual to find that stuff interesting, doesnt make someone a nerd cuz they do. now, if youre reading books with fabio on the cover, then, im not sure what youd be

:) I use to resemble Fabio when I lived male.

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 05:34 PM

When I was young I used to love reading Conan comics and even novels. The art by Boris was incredible.

I use to love reading books or watching movies that had shape shifting or or body jumping when I was a kid.

I hated being a boy, books and movies of that type were my escape

Yeah right Ed I wish I was built like them.

aprilian
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
It's always important to keep in mind the fine distinction between a nerd and a geek!
If you share your enjoyment with others of your type your a geek. If your walk the streets talking to strangers in Klingon and laughing at their ignorance your a nerd.

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm also into WW 2, european history, woodworking and architecture

I'm also addicted to Sudoku

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Ed you should come see me and hang out. I'm off till sat, you can crash at my place.

Separate beds of course, I'm not that kinda girl

the_bo
09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I read comicbooks and play video games and like hockey so i guess i am only part nerd lol

imwithstupid
09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
yes and yes :P =nerd treading the dork territory too...

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
yes and yes :P =nerd treading the
dork territory too...
Hey:(

MerriCait
09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm a avid reader of scifi books. Elves dwarves and dragons. Does this make me a nerd.

i love this kind of stuff too, read alot of the books (wheel of time, conclave, sword of truth etc) /seen films (too many to list...lol).

but i dont think of myself as a nerd, i do more than read and study all day. to me thats what a nerd is. but to be honest...some nerds are hott. so who cares :)

ed_jaxon
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Clarification of terms

Nerd:(n) Someone who is into nerdy things like Sci Fi, D&D, LOTR, etc.
Would rather do those things.

Geek:(n) An individual who could be a nerd but generally has some skill such as computers math or science in which they excel. Or a guy who bites the head off of a live chicken.

Dork:(n) The socially inept

There are overlaps in the categories but the terms are not mutually exclusive.

Niccolo
09-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm also into WW 2, european history, woodworking and architecture. Kira

May I recommend a couple of books you might find interesting? "Empires of the Sea (http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Sea-Battle-Lepanto-Contest/dp/1400066247/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222282529&sr=1-1)" by Roger Crowley is just excellent, and a right good read too! "The Great Siege (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Siege-Wordsworth-Military-Library/dp/1840222069/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222282672&sr=1-3)" by Ernle Bradford is another good one, and "Fortress Malta (http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Malta-Island-Under-Siege/dp/1401351867/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222282786&sr=1-1)" by James Holland is set in the same place, but in a different time (during WWII).

If you're in your bookshop and come across any of those, do have a leaf through them & see what you think. I've enjoyed them all. :)

KiraHarden
09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm also into WW 2, european history, woodworking and architecture. Kira

May I recommend a couple of books you might find interesting? "Empires of the Sea (http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Sea-Battle-Lepanto-Contest/dp/1400066247/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222282529&sr=1-1)" by Roger Crowley is just excellent, and a right good read too! "The Great Siege (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Siege-Wordsworth-Military-Library/dp/1840222069/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222282672&sr=1-3)" by Ernle Bradford is another good one, and "Fortress Malta (http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Malta-Island-Under-Siege/dp/1401351867/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222282786&sr=1-1)" by James Holland is set in the same place, but in a different time (during WWII).

If you're in your bookshop and come across any of those, do have a leaf through them & see what you think. I've enjoyed them all. :)

I will and thank you

NYBURBS
09-24-2008, 10:03 PM

Ed Jaxson thinks so.

I love sci-fi, it has an ability to bring alive the "what-if" like no other genre. It's also pleasant to watch or read something that can disconnect you from the reality of life.

melissacarter
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
You like what you like, it's that simple. Enjoy what you like and forget what people think.

For years I was a tournament chess player. Some might say that makes me a geek. Do I care? Hell no.

IsuckTgirlCock
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
read thus spake zarathustra or beyond good and evil by nietzsche, time to take the blinders off people !

tao1kiku
09-26-2008, 03:56 AM
If you lived and breathed and talked nothing of Sci-Fi and fantasy, yeah, could be a nerd. But if you have more in your life than that, nope!

From Tolkien to works of Frank Herbet, from the absolute cheese of Lost in Space to Babylon 5, I love it and my viewpoint on life would not be the same without it!

Paladin
09-26-2008, 06:30 AM

There you go!

What was the better tank, PzKw V Panther or T-34??? back up your theory with a proof!

Was Manstein better than Zhukov??

I can do hard sudokos, but i'm not heavily into it.

BTW I have LOTR books and movies, an original 1st ed of the Silmarillion, & Unfinished Tales. Found the book starshiip troopers interesting but the movie was a disaster.

Did you ever read Asimov's the Foundation trilogy?

What was the most highly decorated ship in WWII (and I think in history)?

Quiet Reflections
09-26-2008, 07:08 AM

There you go!

What was the better tank, PzKw V Panther or T-34??? back up your theory with a proof!

BTW I have LOTR books and movies, an original 1st ed of the Silmarillion, & Unfinished Tales. Found the book starshiip troopers interesting but the movie was a disaster.

Silmarillion is a great book

Quiet Reflections
09-26-2008, 07:11 AM
no kira it dosent make you a nerd it makes you normal. i think everybody likes to be able to read or watch sci-fi and get away from reality for awhile. i cant think of one person that wouldnt want a holodeck or their very own 7 of 9

bulldog
09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
i know its out on movie, but Flags of Our Fathers was one of the best books i have ever read, and actually brought a tear to my eye, it is much different than the movie, since with movies you can only put so much in as the budget allows, with books, the details are endless as your imagination.

bulldog
09-26-2008, 09:27 AM

There you go!

the panther was superior to the T34 mainly due to the fact that is was produced to "counter" the T34, it had better armor (80mm vs about average of 60mm), a much higher velocity cannon (penatration and range were better), and a 3 man turrent instead of a two man.

and i believe the most decorated warship of WWII was the USS Enterprise (CV-6)

Azanti
09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Nerd is a word used by people who like to think they are superior.

No is the answer.

I like Sci-Fi and I always made sure I got to go home and fuck the prom queen. Nerds don't get to do that.

luv4Tgirls
09-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Love SiFi stuff, who cares if it is nerdy or what who says we have to grow up anyway :lol:

Justawannabe
09-27-2008, 01:15 AM
I love sci-fi, fantasy and anime... and I a nerd... sure... but nothing wrong with that...

Sean

T Oracle
09-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Nerd!

Enjoy!

Paladin
09-27-2008, 02:15 AM

There you go!

the panther was superior to the T34 mainly due to the fact that is was produced to "counter" the T34, it had better armor (80mm vs about average of 60mm), a much higher velocity cannon (penatration and range were better), and a 3 man turrent instead of a two man.

Right on both counts. The Panther's main gun was the third best of the war, behind the 88mm L/56 KWK and the 88mm L/71 KWK. All three were German guns. The T-34 hat a medium length 76mm which was far inferior to the Panther's gun. Even the T-34/85's 85mm gun which didn't come out until 1944 had an inferior gun to the Panther. Those German guns rocked.

Do you know what nations designed the current M1 Abrams 120mm gun and the earlier M1 105mm???

And Enterprise CV-6 was the most decorated ship in naval historyof any navy in the world. The ship's bell is at annapolis and the sternplate is somewhere in NJ.

rustynail
09-27-2008, 06:18 AM
You are not a nerd, just more widely read than most people.

Coroner
09-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Science-Fiction is the best genre in literature. It combines science, philosophy, (social) anthropology and ethics. Perhaps much more than that. As for the term nerd, it´s meaningless and irrelevant like all labelings. Do you know anything by Boris & Arkady Strugatzki, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke or Stanislav Lem, Kira? If not, I´d like to recommend them.
Unfortunately, Science-Fiction is a very commercialized genre nowdays, so stuff like Star Wars gets categorized as Sci-Fi, too. I good Sci-Fi story requires scientific explanations, ideas and hypothesis and you won´t find them in Star Wars or Superman. True Sci-Fi wants you to think, Star Wars wants you to shut down your mind and have fun while eating popcorn. I´m taking Star Wars as an example because it´s perhaps the most famous one.

bulldog
09-27-2008, 11:29 AM

There you go!

Right on both counts. The Panther's main gun was the third best of the war, behind the 88mm L/56 KWK and the 88mm L/71 KWK. All three were German guns. The T-34 hat a medium length 76mm which was far inferior to the Panther's gun. Even the T-34/85's 85mm gun which didn't come out until 1944 had an inferior gun to the Panther. Those German guns rocked.

Do you know what nations designed the current M1 Abrams 120mm gun and the earlier M1 105mm???

And Enterprise CV-6 was the most decorated ship in naval historyof any navy in the world. The ship's bell is at annapolis and the sternplate is somewhere in NJ.

Yea, it was Germany for the 120 and Britain for the 105

and apparently Germany is still developing their 140mm for their Leopard 2(with Britain and France helping), whether it will be put into use or not is another matter, but they were doing it to counter massive rumors that the Russians were going to be using 135mm or 152mm guns on their next gen future battle tank

bulldog
09-27-2008, 11:45 AM

There you go!

one thing i would love to see is a showdown between The American M1A2, The German Leopard 2, The British Challenger 2, and The French Leclerc

BrendaQG
09-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Ed Jaxson thinks so.

Hmmm my immediate reaction is. Yes Kira. Your one of us now! buwaahahahah! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXyB7niEc0)

smoof
09-27-2008, 06:48 PM
if you memorize all the parts in monty python and the holy grail and can recite them all right now then you are a nerd......... like me :)