PDA

View Full Version : On a serious note: Ike.....................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-13-2008, 05:02 AM
my heart goes out to the people of Galveston, Houston, and other surrounding cities

hopefully the death count won't be catastrophic

JWBL

blckhaze
09-13-2008, 05:44 AM
been on the phone with a few family members from the area who got out earlier today. Hopefully others get out safe.

Any word on Justice?

johnie
09-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Just imagine for one second being in those poor people's shoes. Absolutely horrifying.

Solitary Brother
09-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Since our president is a christian and from Texas all he has to do is pray to god and all the problems will be solved.
DONT WORRY.

xrey
09-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Hope for the best for everyone!

ottorocket
09-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Since our president is a christian and from Texas all he has to do is pray to god and all the problems will be solved.
DONT WORRY.

This is absolutely the worst time score some points like that, gutter politics during a serious natural disaster like this is just uncalled for when many thousands are right now hunkered down waiting for waters to rise, and praying that the winds dont blow their roofs off...

Can you at least wait until the storm passes and condemn Bush for creating hurricane Ike then? :roll:

Justawannabe
09-13-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree, it's a bit insensitive to make points at a time like this... but in other ways I kind of sympathize. Try to make those points later and it will just be glossed over... sad but true.

Still wish it wold never come up either way...

Those folks need some help either way, and I hope whatever powers that be, even if they be George Bush, keep them safe and help them not lose to much of what they've worked so hard for.

Sean

Thatiger23
09-13-2008, 10:28 AM
my heart goes out to the people of Galveston, Houston, and other surrounding cities

hopefully the death count won't be catastrophic

JWBL

im right there with you Johnny..ive got friends out there and ive talked them and its not going good

rico87
09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
At least a million people in the Galveston area were smart enough to get out of town. Category 2 hit the Texas coast at 110 mph winds.

After witnessing Andrew cat 5 and years back on vacation in San Juan during Hugo cat 4. Never ever again will I sit through that shit and fear for my life. People are nuts to stick around and try to save their homes when you can get killed in the process.......

Fox
09-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I was going to make a pun about Ike, but given the severety of the situation it'd be in incredibly poor taste. Anyway, my thoughts are with those affected. =/

BeardedOne
09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I've been fortunate to have never been in the middle of a major storm, but have had tornadoes dance dangerously close (Within ten miles) and had to deal with the fringes of a couple of serious hurricanes (Flooding, downed trees, etc.) and blizzards that stranded me for a couple of days until work crews could get through.

Nature is a mother and an unforgiving bitch.

Justawannabe
09-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Yup... when I was a kid in Kansas City we had a tornado go down the other side of the street... wrecked everything... I think it's why loud noises spook me.

Sean

tsntx
09-14-2008, 07:55 AM
it wasnt nearly as horrible as the media wants u to think

my beach house in galveston on the water is in pristine condition and the homes we had in the woodlands are fine... it was a cat 2. only issue was water... and looters

JanetElise
09-14-2008, 08:05 AM
I live in Waco. About 180 miles northwest of Houston. We expected to get a lot of rain and wind from Ike, but only got drizzle and minimal wind thank god.

JanetElise
09-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree, the shit you see on tv is localized. No doubt Ike tore
some shit up but it ain't as widespread as one might think.

Oh BTW TSNTX we should get together some time. I am about
three hours away if you live in the Houston area.

-J

my beach house in galveston on the water is in pristine condition and the homes we had in the woodlands are fine... it was a cat 2. only issue was water... and looters

tsntx
09-14-2008, 08:45 AM
im in austin... just have a former life there w/ invested interest

JanetElise
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Even better, a straight shot up 35 about an hour and a half.

im in austin... just have a former life there w/ invested interest

Solitary Brother
09-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Gee
I hope G-D is not angry with Texas.

BBaggins06
09-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I live in Waco. About 180 miles northwest of Houston. We expected to get a lot of rain and wind from Ike, but only got drizzle and minimal wind thank god.

I think we got over 8 inches of rain over the weekend up here in Chicago. And that's not 8 HA inches either. ;)

Justawannabe
09-17-2008, 04:46 AM
hehe...

Yeah, flooding was so bad my ex couldn't get from Niles to Mount Prospect... not so bad up here strangely... though I expect there was flooding along the river again.

Sean

bob85
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
i was in Indy for the MotoGP race and two of the races were shorted due to wind and rain and the third was cancelled

MonsieurValentine
09-17-2008, 05:41 PM

Being from Victoria, I'm honestly seeing a little bit of both bad and good from the Gulf to Houston. My parents house was fine, just a little wind damage, but a good friend of mine's house near Rice Village was beat to hell.