PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

Legend
09-03-2008, 03:18 AM
I know there is about to be some blockbuster movie and its based on an old comic but what is the watchmen all about? Is it sort of like the justice league or the avengers and comprised of metahumans?

saifan
09-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Good write-up here:
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/better_late_than_never_watchmen

Legend
09-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Thanks,i have some sort of idea now,the guy who created the comic is somewhat of a pioneer of the antihero.I have to say that dr.manhattan is the only character that i'm interested in.

saifan
09-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Rorschach is the guy most folks who read the comic rave about. He is like that books Wolverine.

bulldog
09-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Quote "Why hadn't I read Watchmen until about a month ago? Let's just say I'm too busy getting laid, sky-diving, leading training drills for my private army like the big homey Mishima, and savoring fine wines and Cuban cigars to waste my precious, precious time reading funny animal stories and picture-books about grown men who dress up like animals to fight crime. No, that's not even remotely true. I am a huge fucking geek, but I am not, alas, a comic-book geek." Unquote

lol i found that part of the write up amusing

smart
09-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I read it in college it blew me away. Read or buy the graphic novel. The movie will be really good because the story line is tight.

lupinIII
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Eh, like a lot of comic book geeks my opinion pretty much mirrors a lot of the criticisms of translating Alan Moore's works. The original tone of the story gets lost, or watered down to make it work as a movie, blah blah.

I hope he keeps it as thematically dark as possible, allows the dialogue of the actor's to remain subtle, and keeps the action sequences understated without any of the ridiculous over-use of slow-motion he used for 300. I really don't have good expectations for this flick though, the concept of Watchmen was utter genius so I'll always be negatively biased like that.

That said, the comic will always be there so it's not like I'm missing anything or losing the original work, I'll just be getting a different perspective on it.

Justawannabe
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I guess I'm one of the odd comic fans who wasn't blown away. I liked it, its a good story, but I didn't see it as the huge break away most folks claim.

Sean

scroller
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I had to read it 3 times over several years before I really "got" it, particularly the ending. Here's my analysis: ultimately it's a horror movie disguised for a while as a superhero story.

Beyond the story, one of the primary things it does is use the comic layout to do things no other media can accomplish, like -- (a) scraps of newspapers you can read for backstory if you take the time & flip the comic upside-down, (b) dwelling on illustrations that are repeated metaphors for the dialogue being spoken, (c) the "symmetry" issue in which the all the panels are reflected front-to-back throughout the whole book, and in the middle you've got a clue as to who is in "the center" of it all.

No movie can recreate any of that meta-artistry stuff. Also, typical movie has 120 page script (1 page/min), Watchmen has 28x12 = 336 pages, so by my count they can only cover about 1/3 the events in the graphic novel. To say nothing of the newspaper/ excerpts/ stolen files presented at the end of each issue.

SarahG
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Isn't this the movie that still has the production rights in legal limbo (even after they've gotten so far in making it)?

SarahG
09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Forgot to add: I've had the song from the stupid trailer to this one stuck in my head for a week, and I don't like the smashing pumpkins.

300 could have been a great movie, but to me it seemed short, and it seemed like it was missing a script. What little dialog there was- sucked. I don't think it delivered at all.

Megas
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Watchmen can easily be counted as one of the best pieces of fiction produced in the past century. The story is more character drama/mystery thriller than it is a superhero story in the traditional sense. However, every frame plays an important part in filling the story and there is no way that Snyder can pull it off. Even the Tales of the Black Freighter comic within the comic contributes and removing that and placing it as a standalone DVD will cheapen the experience.

Although there are cinematic elements to it, as a graphic novel it is simply too dense and intricate to place it into a film medium. Of course, this is just the opinion of one man.

SarahG
09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Although there are cinematic elements to it, as a graphic novel it is simply too dense and intricate to place it into a film medium. Of course, this is just the opinion of one man.

Isn't that what was initially though about The Crow?

brickcitybrother
09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Can't wait ... Nuff Said.

Megas
09-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Isn't that what was initially though about The Crow?To be honest, I wouldn't know. Although, The Crow, if I understand correctly, only has a diminutive caste compared to Watchmen. The latter also spans twelve issues with supplementary material such as publications from the universe that further delve into the psychology and history of characters.

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
09-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I want to see the comedian the most

BBaggins06
09-23-2008, 03:21 AM

Well, you won't see much of him. :)

Oli
09-23-2008, 05:01 AM

Well, you won't see much of him. :)

Sure you will. He'll be falling out of the window at least twice... :shock:

lupinIII
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Plus that badass scene in Vietnam.

BBaggins06
09-24-2008, 05:35 AM

lupinIII
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Eh hell, with spoilers, most of the people who're ultra interested in this have already written lengthy dissertations on the graphic novel... (reads earlier posts) except for the person who started the thread...

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
09-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Plus that badass scene in Vietnam.

That's what I'm looking forward to

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
09-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Look what I found/ made (compiled) http://rapidshare.com/files/149529750/Watchmen.rar you may want to check out the program cdisplay as it is specially made for extracting and viewing comic books

thx1138
11-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Now THIS movie is going to be good. The trailer indicates that it tracks the graphic novel very closely.

Watchmen: brand new trailer released
http://denofgeek.com/movies/146213/watchmen_brand_new_trailer_released.html

Remy757Photog
11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Look what I found/ made (compiled) http://rapidshare.com/files/149529750/Watchmen.rar you may want to check out the program cdisplay as it is specially made for extracting and viewing comic books

Can you repost this. I've been looking on the Newsgroups for it but can't seem to find the complete series. btw, I've been using CDisplay for a few years now and love it!! I have literally thousands of comics in digital format. Sadly only a few hundred actual physical comics.