PDA

View Full Version : question for anyone knowledgable about cars...

ottorocket
08-27-2008, 02:05 AM
What kind of car?

Realgirls4me
08-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Google "Pulling a steering wheel off" and you might find a link to guide you. I did it once, but it was so long ago, and it was on an older model sans any cruise or radio controls on the wheel. All I had to deal with electrical-wise was the wire to the horn assembly. If it's a popular model, look for a forum from that make to see if someone has attempted it and any pitfalls you might encounter. You will need a steering wheel puller because it sounds like you'll have to replace the ignition switch. You can buy a puller relatively cheap or see if your auto parts rents one.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/5-6-2006-95365.asp

Good luck. :)

Realgirls4me
08-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Dark,

Yeah, I wouldn't pour money into an older car for that. If it were a 2008 Escalade, I probably would call a mechanic, but for this just set aside a couple of hours for it, if that. It helps if you have a friend who is mechanically inclined nearby to assist also. :)

ottorocket
08-27-2008, 03:07 AM
You can probably find a working lockset ignition on Ebay...Its really easy to fix that Honda don't spend the money on a mechanic just disassemble the column and put some used parts in

jamesb121
08-27-2008, 03:57 AM
If the car has an airbag, leave it well alone! to change the ignition barrel you need to take the wheel off, plus you dont know what else has been damaged.

Take the car to Honda, they know what to do, better if your insurance is paying.....

slinky
08-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Take one gallon of gasoline..........................

Paladin
08-27-2008, 06:10 AM
If the car has an airbag, leave it well alone! to change the ignition barrel you need to take the wheel off, plus you dont know what else has been damaged.

Take the car to Honda, they know what to do, better if your insurance is paying.....

Exactly, and it was the mid 90s that Honda FINALLY started getting around to putting airbags in their cars. If it has an airbag, DON'T fuck with it.

You didn't have theft insurance?? :?

If it is not an airbag car, then you can get the partts and replace them. You might want to get a service manual or be VERY "particular" about marking ALL the wires, etc. that you disassemble.

SarahG
08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Go to your library, if its decent it'll have the factory service manual set for that year.

Get the step by step procedure on replacing the column, it'll tell you what to do if it has airbags.

Note that in most states you can't buy used airbags, so replacing it will cost ya if you set it off. Around here thieves are even targeting the airbags, pulling them at night & selling them to less then ethical shops who then install them into people who have had them stolen who don't want to replace it the legal way (with a brand new bag).

SarahG
08-27-2008, 08:18 AM
You may wanna check out the bittorrent sites, I know some Honda manuals are out there. That way you can have the step by step walk threws on your computer.

Thatiger23
08-27-2008, 09:14 AM

yeah i agree take the car to a honda dealership....plus call your insurace company and see what they say...they might be able to find a dealership or mechanic that can help you with the issue.....

Richctdude
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
that sucks

whatislove
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
What this bitch said.... (j/k mama)

also.... http://www.google.com/search?q=honda+accord+forums&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=

Register and post your pics on a diy/repair forum. someone will help you...

Go to your library, if its decent it'll have the factory service manual set for that year.

Get the step by step procedure on replacing the column, it'll tell you what to do if it has airbags.

Note that in most states you can't buy used airbags, so replacing it will cost ya if you set it off. Around here thieves are even targeting the airbags, pulling them at night & selling them to less then ethical shops who then install them into people who have had them stolen who don't want to replace it the legal way (with a brand new bag).

sheer1
08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
DARK,
Locate a repair manual for your year Honda.It will probably have the repair procedure.
Generally, you start by disconnecting negative cable from battery.This prevents accidental deployment of airbag if so equipped.You still need to disconnect battery if not.Ignition lock cylinders are just like your house locks. You will have to disassemble the column covers but not the steering wheel.Once you get the covers off you'll be able to see the lock assembly.I beleive the manual will tell you to set key to a certian position and out she comes.Since this was a vandalism act,it may come out easier.You will have to check the damage to see if new unit will instal and engage correctly.I've been retired from auto repair a decade now.Hope this helps.

hippifried
08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Call your insurance company.