PDA

View Full Version : The 3G Hype............................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-23-2008, 12:06 AM
about 90-95% of the country does NOT have 3G coverage and is therefore NOT going to get the full iPhone 3G experience (i.e. network speeds). If you live in one of these uncovered areas and already have an iPhone, I wouldn’t jump on the iPhone 3G wagon. I’d stick with my current iPhone (WITH my grandfathered data plan) and save $200-$300 bucks. With the original iPhone getting the iPhone 2.0 ROM update, you’re going to have the same experience with your original iPhone as you would with an iPhone 3G in your non-3G covered area.

Its going to take years…YEARS for AT&T to fully build out their 3G coverage area to support the iPhone 3G. If they can move fast and cover all of the Darge Orange (EDGE) areas with 3G, they are still going to have a long way to go to get the country covered from coast to coast. There are a lot of internal areas (like between Memphis, TN to Charlette, NC and Atlanta, GA to Jacksonville, FL that still have to be built out with AT&T’s own GPRS and EDGE coverage. (don’t get me started about the interior states and coverage for North Dakota to Kansas (North to South) and Nevada to Kansas (West to East). It may be YEARS before they get simple GPRS/voice coverage, let alone a cellular data network.

My point here is to urge everyone to NOT get caught up in the hype and to spend wisely. The economy really sucks right now, and the last thing we need to do is to spend frivilously. Again, if you are an existing iPhone user outside a 3G coverage area, you might be better off just upgrading your device to the new firmware and waiting for AT&T to build their 3G network out before getting the new iPhone. You’re not going to gain much with the new iPhone if you fall in this camp.

I live in NYC and 3G is very much here, but I travel alot and I'm glad I researched this, saved me some $$$.

the_corner
08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Do you really think people buy the iphone 3g for the 3g?

People buy it to have "the latest shit"... I wonder how many people are really using features like ...the GPS...

I mean, the iphone is cool and all... but jeez... sometimes people seem to be a little bit out of perspective.

Disclaimer:

This comes from a long time apple user that loves the old iphone.

BrendaQG
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
bahh the i-Phone is all hype. All of these smart phones are more powerful than a PC From 10 years ago. Point is cheaper and better alternatives exist.

Falrune
08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
3G AT&T Coverage in USA ... not too bad

:D

unctrld1
08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
I am in NYC as well [outer borough]. My 3G is spotty at best. Even when I have it, I frequently get kicked off and revert to EDGE. It gets worse in Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester.

AT&T's map is inaccurate. There should be an asterisk next to the NYC area. The map should indicate that one can expect "up to 3G speeds."

I recently peeped AT&T's commercials for mobile internet [using the guy from the "American Justice" TV series]. He says users of AT&T's mobile internet card can receive "up to 3G speeds."

Also, as all iPhone 3G owners will tell you, leaving 3G enabled will kill your battery. Expect mid-day recharges.

Bottom line: 3g is spotty at best. The speed varies even with the 3G icon showing.

I second JWBL - 1st gen iPhone owners should stay with what they have.

As for people looking to cop an iPhone - visit the howardforums.com boards and iLounge.com first so that you know what you are getting into.

macfan
08-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Well I won't lie I'm a Mac fanboy as my name implies, so when Apple releases some new product I'm the guinea pig frist in line at the Apple Store to get the latest even if not the greatest. Hey I love style man, sometimes even over function. :)

Solitary Brother
08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
about 90-95% of the country does NOT have 3G coverage and is therefore NOT going to get the full iPhone 3G experience (i.e. network speeds). If you live in one of these uncovered areas and already have an iPhone, I wouldn’t jump on the iPhone 3G wagon. I’d stick with my current iPhone (WITH my grandfathered data plan) and save $200-$300 bucks. With the original iPhone getting the iPhone 2.0 ROM update, you’re going to have the same experience with your original iPhone as you would with an iPhone 3G in your non-3G covered area.

Its going to take years…YEARS for AT&T to fully build out their 3G coverage area to support the iPhone 3G. If they can move fast and cover all of the Darge Orange (EDGE) areas with 3G, they are still going to have a long way to go to get the country covered from coast to coast. There are a lot of internal areas (like between Memphis, TN to Charlette, NC and Atlanta, GA to Jacksonville, FL that still have to be built out with AT&T’s own GPRS and EDGE coverage. (don’t get me started about the interior states and coverage for North Dakota to Kansas (North to South) and Nevada to Kansas (West to East). It may be YEARS before they get simple GPRS/voice coverage, let alone a cellular data network.

My point here is to urge everyone to NOT get caught up in the hype and to spend wisely. The economy really sucks right now, and the last thing we need to do is to spend frivilously. Again, if you are an existing iPhone user outside a 3G coverage area, you might be better off just upgrading your device to the new firmware and waiting for AT&T to build their 3G network out before getting the new iPhone. You’re not going to gain much with the new iPhone if you fall in this camp.

I live in NYC and 3G is very much here, but I travel alot and I'm glad I researched this, saved me some $$$.

Im an apple fan and have the iphone but your exactly right the iphone 3g aint worth it.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Point is cheaper and better alternatives exist.

actually I disagree

there are 2 phones out that come close to the style and in terms of function ability blow the iphone away:

1. The Samsung i900 Omnia which street priced is $718
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/06/6-8-08-i900-omnia.jpg

and [until Nvidia partners with someone to put their platform on a cell phone]

2. The Sony Xperia (quite possibly the baddest cell phone on the planet at the time of this thread in production) no official price yet but some store sites are offering pre-order prices of $900+
http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/02/xperia_x1.jpg

so regarding cheaper alternatives, no there really aren't any.........
the closest thing to a cheap alternative is a Nokia N95 which runs on the slow Symbian system.........

though you get robbed with the contract fees, you save a bundle on the actual iPhone if you're an AT&T U.S. consumer with the price set at $199 or $299 per unit.

me personally, I'll probably pick up an Omnia, I love the ease of Windows Mobile.

goldensamba
08-24-2008, 12:04 AM
It's not only spotty 3G coverage. A lot of it has to do with a design flaw with the antenae on the iPhone itself. Apple is actually being sued over the issue right now. more and more customers are getting pissed over lack of 3G reception even though the 3G is strong in their area.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210200044

Paladin
08-24-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm trying, but I just can't give a rat's ass about the whole thing... I use my phone to make calls and sometimes to take pictures of my yorkie.