PDA

View Full Version : Hair removal

silkencock
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Okay, so I have slowly but surely begun the transition . . .

One of the first steps was to get my body waxed from neck to foot. I was a fairly hairy male, so this process took about 3 hrs and $300.

The results have been less than stellar. I realize it is the first time and (supposedly) it will get better with each subsequent wax, but I am now skeptical . . .

What I have as a result is a body covered in little red bumps that itch almost continuously. I am unable to show any of this new-found smooth skin because i have broken out in such a terrible rash over about 50% of my body (Mostly butt and backs of legs, but also some on tummy and breasts). I exfoliate 2x a day, and use estringent to keep my skin free of yucky stuff, but I also have (the waxer pointed out) very sensitive skin. In places on my inner thighs I had bruises where the hair was torn out.

Question: Has anybody else dealt with this? should I continue in the hopes thaat it will get better each time, or maybe look to some other removal method? (My ultimate goal is laser removal, but I am light skinned and I have, at best, dirty blonde hair. I am told this is not the best combo for laser removal.) I absolutely have fallen in love with the smooth skin, but the inability to show off this skin, let alone the itch, has really been a downer. Any points/advise/experience would be very appreciated.

Kisses.

Nowhere
08-21-2008, 01:24 AM
If this is the first time you've waxed, your body will hurt the most.

Over time, it gets sort of accustomed to it, and it gets better, sometimes (almost, well never entirely) painless.

The bumps might also be a harsh reaction to your first me doing it.

silkencock
08-21-2008, 01:29 AM
The pain of the waxing itself I can live with. It was painful, but not prohibitively so.

It is my skin's reaction that has been a suprise. I wonder if that will get any better. If I have to stay home for two weeks every time I get waxed, it is hardly worth the pain involved.

SarahG
08-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Okay, so I have slowly but surely begun the transition . . .

One of the first steps was to get my body waxed from neck to foot. I was a fairly hairy male, so this process took about 3 hrs and $300.

The results have been less than stellar. I realize it is the first time and (supposedly) it will get better with each subsequent wax, but I am now skeptical . . .

What I have as a result is a body covered in little red bumps that itch almost continuously. I am unable to show any of this new-found smooth skin because i have broken out in such a terrible rash over about 50% of my body (Mostly butt and backs of legs, but also some on tummy and breasts). I exfoliate 2x a day, and use estringent to keep my skin free of yucky stuff, but I also have (the waxer pointed out) very sensitive skin. In places on my inner thighs I had bruises where the hair was torn out.

Question: Has anybody else dealt with this? should I continue in the hopes thaat it will get better each time, or maybe look to some other removal method? (My ultimate goal is laser removal, but I am light skinned and I have, at best, dirty blonde hair. I am told this is not the best combo for laser removal.) I absolutely have fallen in love with the smooth skin, but the inability to show off this skin, let alone the itch, has really been a downer. Any points/advise/experience would be very appreciated.

Kisses.

If you're transitioning save your money, waxing won't do much and whatever it does won't last. $300 coulda paid for a first three months of DIY HRT, and hrt over time is going to help get rid of body hair on its own (this can take years however, and everyone is different in how well it works). Or it could have gone towards electro or laser on your face.

If you have a body hair problem (chest for instance) I highly advise to go onto hrt and after being on that for a while, using laser (if your hair & skin color allow it) or electrolysis to permanently remove whatever body hair remains.

HRT will not effect facial hair, only electro or laser will get rid of hair there forever (and not all lasers will, and not all people can use laser hair removal).

In the meantime, since these are all long term solutions, try buying a decent epilator to use at home. Just remember they're not gonna want you to be shaving the day of perniment hair removal sessions. I have heard that people have tried using epilators on their face but, I wouldn't know about that personally and it just sounds painful.

If your skin is getting irritated they make products for that. I know a lot of gg's that have skin on their legs break out from shaving. Myself, I never had to worry about body hair but my legs DO break out if I use traditional razor blades or electric razors (looks like razor burn only its not). What I use for it is lidocaine which is available OTC w/out a prescription (the brand I use is "Bikini Zone") and if you see a dermatologist you can get stronger prescription strengths of it. The only thing I can do on my legs w/out having the skin break out is waxing or epilating, but I have really sensitive skin.

tsntx
08-21-2008, 05:54 AM
waxing is a waste of $

far better things you could have used $300 towards on ur transition

get lasered

most places are $150 max per area now a days so you could have gotten ur face done 2x and had lasting results

look into it

Alyssa87
08-21-2008, 06:04 AM
yea, laser turns it. i havent had any hair on my face since May.

and for the bumps u can use 1% (over the counter) cortisone cream :)

marissaazts
08-21-2008, 06:50 AM
lazer all the way
unless you are blonde then its harder

Justawannabe
08-21-2008, 09:00 AM
The blond thing really ruins laser... and you need to remember to do a bunch of treatments or the results only last a around three years...

Had a number of friends do their arms and legs, genetic and trans girls mostly, and the three year mark has been pretty consistent if you don't do spot treatments along the way.

Smooth skin is much nicer... wish I was more comfortable in it myself... but that stuff works for the bumps eh? Maybe that will work...

Sean

Alyssa87
08-21-2008, 10:06 AM
yea, the laser tech told me about it. it works.

silkencock
08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Thank you all for your input. I have made an appointment with a Laser Center for a consultation. The lady on the phone said that because my hair is more of a dirty blonde - darker than the wispy light blonde hair that is so hard to laser, that it would probably work for me. The consultation will tell one way or the other.

Thanks again for the advise.

We need a kissing emoticon . . . :) :shrug

the3ra
08-21-2008, 07:22 PM
In the mean time:

I've been using an epilator made by Braun. Its about $70 or less depending where you get it.

$70 for infinite hair removal basicly. Not anywhere close to the messiness of waxing. Use the thing in your bathtub (without water!) and cleanup is cake.

I have thick face hair :( and using the epilator on my cheek was horrifying. My armpits hurt, but was doable, same with the pubic area. You really can't do your scrotum because the skin is too loose and thin. Every other area on the body is mild irritation. The Braun epilator will remove even very tiny peach fuzz.

LibertyHarkness
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
yes i agree save up and do laser...i wax my body but am getting my chest lasered in 2 weeks...£180 is the cost of chest/shoulders ..

I have found wax sometimes is good, but the blotchy bumps can be a pain.....not done epilation yet....

Libb