PDA

View Full Version : Do Americans Eat Too Much Food?

hondarobot
08-18-2008, 03:00 AM
I've always been amazed at things like "a large stack of pancakes". Why do we seem to need to eat such huge portions of food? I can barely eat an entire donut in one sitting, personally.

Actually, this thread is a plug for tonights "Iron Chef America", where the servings are reasonable, but I still don't get how the judges can eat fifteen meals in a single episode. Sounds like an interesting challenge tonight. Something frozen has to be an element of every dish. I imagine the ice cream machine will get a workout.

Starting: Now (Central US time)

canihavu
08-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Americans are some greedy bastards...

timxxx
08-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Is the Pope Catholic?

hondarobot
08-18-2008, 03:36 AM
This "Iron Chef America" episode is screwed up. Whoever serves second is fucked, because keeping the frozen elements stable for over an hour, and the other parts of the dishes plated and at appropriate temp, would be nearly impossible.

But back to the topic: What's the most food anyone here has ever eaten in one sitting?

Lick UR Lovely
08-18-2008, 03:40 AM
I love watching the Iron Chef and Hell's Kitchen! Donuts are bad for ya honda! :D :D

hondarobot
08-18-2008, 04:03 AM
I probably eat a donut once a month, it doesn't happen often.

I can't believe Bobby Flay lost by only one point, and was serving second. That dude is an Iron Chef, no doubt. Unfortunately, the whole melon theme was pretty lame.

Lick UR Lovely
08-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Has anyone seen the Movie: "Super Size Me" ?? McDonalds targets children into obesity.....

Trogdor
08-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Depends on what you are eating. Alot of times people have weight problems cause they don't eat enough instead of too much, especially those who skip breakfast and not eat anything till like 8 hours later.

kalina
08-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Depends on what you are eating. Alot of times people have weight problems cause they don't eat enough instead of too much, especially those who skip breakfast and not eat anything till like 8 hours later.

That'd be me. I usually eat just lunch and dinner. If lunch is very big, I have a small dinner.

What most people eat for breakfast doesn't appeal to me. Greasy eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns... that's all crap to me. When I was a kid, we were all forced to eat leftovers from dinner the night before for breakfast. Lots of protein without a lot of grease.

Floyd R
08-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Kalina, I personally don't eat any of typical greasy breakfast foods that you mentioned. It's either a bowl of oatmeal, oat bran, or wheatena, along with some fruit. This is what I eat for breakfast almost everyday.

That'd be me. I usually eat just lunch and dinner. If lunch is very big, I have a small dinner.

What most people eat for breakfast doesn't appeal to me. Greasy eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns... that's all crap to me. When I was a kid, we were all forced to eat leftovers from dinner the night before for breakfast. Lots of protein without a lot of grease.

Trogdor
08-18-2008, 11:30 AM

My cooking is rarely ever greasy. And I also have eggs raw in my protein drinks. I think everyone in the states needs a good colin cleansing to help out weight issues, gets all that impacted tox matter out of oneself....smeh, most people loose 'those stubborn 10 pounds' with just that alone.

kalina
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Kalina, I personally don't eat any of typical greasy breakfast foods that you mentioned. It's either a bowl of oatmeal, oat bran, or wheatena, along with some fruit. This is what I eat for breakfast almost everyday.

Ah, that's good. But, see, I don't think that's what the average American eats. Some will jump out and say they eat cereal, milk, and a banana, but upon further questioning we find that the cereal is dry cereal... and something like Fruit Loops or some sugary thing like that. If you eat Fruit Loops you might as well eat a candy bar.

Hot cereal is good, though, because you can regulate the amount of sugar that goes into it.

The leftovers I used to eat always included a bowl of rice.

kalina
08-18-2008, 02:05 PM
My cooking is rarely ever greasy. And I also have eggs raw in my protein drinks. I think everyone in the states needs a good colin cleansing to help out weight issues, gets all that impacted tox matter out of oneself....smeh, most people loose 'those stubborn 10 pounds' with just that alone.

You're a bodybuilder so you know about greaseless cooking. :)

I'm not sure colon cleansing will help if a person eats portions that are too big for him or her all the time. Most people just eat way too much. They eat and eat, then burp, then eat some more. I drink soda with almost every meal and that helps me regulate my eating. I eat until I burp (it's a little burp) and then I know to stop eating. Oprah has a similar theory where she tells you to eat until you sigh, but you can trust what I say over her because I've never been as big as her, even at her thinnest ;)

(I don't come from a rail thin family so I've conditioned myself to eat what I should rather than eat too much.)

ottorocket
08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
And all Europeans still smell, have bad teeth, and eat just once a day. ::rolleyes::

vietboy
08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes, including many of the Americans on HA forum, both transsexual and chaser alike.

A bunch of fatties.

vietboy
08-18-2008, 08:14 PM
And all Europeans still smell, have bad teeth, and eat just once a day. ::rolleyes::

Yeah but Europeans smell and have bad teeth because they have the same horrid hygiene habits as Okies, Newfies, hippies and all the other dregs from North America.

If you don't bathe or brush your teeth, then you're a slob, no matter where you live.

Trogdor
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM

You're a bodybuilder so you know about greaseless cooking. :)

I'm not sure colon cleansing will help if a person eats portions that are too big for him or her all the time. Most people just eat way too much. They eat and eat, then burp, then eat some more. I drink soda with almost every meal and that helps me regulate my eating. I eat until I burp (it's a little burp) and then I know to stop eating. Oprah has a similar theory where she tells you to eat until you sigh, but you can trust what I say over her because I've never been as big as her, even at her thinnest ;)

(I don't come from a rail thin family so I've conditioned myself to eat what I should rather than eat too much.)

Don't even mention that Cow-Queen Operha in weight related threads. That's sort of like asking Homer Simpson for advice :lol:

There's an interesting theory I've heard about how GG's who are workaholics often tend to have weight issues. I mean they work from the minute they get up to the minute they hit the bed. One such chick I knew has that issue, and she went on a vacation to unwind, she did not change her eating or excercise habits, and she lost several pounds on that relaxing vacation alone. I bet yas that's one of Operha's problems. XD

What's weird is that in my family, 90% of the men of like pee-wee herman thin ( though most of them have pear-shaped bodies, luckily that gene skipped my generation ) and 90% percent of the women are fat. Polish genetics are weird, eh?

Though it's tough being the little, thinner guy in the gym, pressing weights with guys 2-3 times bigger than oneself x_X;

trish
08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
The USA has only 305 million people while China has 1.3 billion. To keep the Earth from wobbling in it's orbit each American must eat enough to compensate for the weight of 4.3 Chinese. If the average Chinese weighs 140 lbs, each American must ideally aim for 596 lbs. Its our sacrifice to keep the world safely balanced on its axis.

BeardedOne
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
What most people eat for breakfast doesn't appeal to me. Greasy eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns... that's all crap to me.

Babe, you don't =ever= wanna see me at a breakfast buffet. :shock:

My own diet is so irregular that when I did a medical history for the doctor they kept looking at me like I'd created the variants just for a joke. For the past couple of years, at least, my typical day is one small to medium meal around lunch time (Which is 9-11 AM-ish) with small bites/snacks early and late that can vary in nutritional value from some seasoned nuts or sunflower kernels to a small bag of chips (1 oz) or a buttered roll or bagel.

This changes on occasional weekends when I might have a full dinner on Saturday night (But even that might just be a big salad) and hit a buffet on Sunday morning. The latter is often heavy with bacon, sausage, potatoes, biscuits w/gravy, and perhaps a waffle or bagel. I've also taken a recent liking to half-price burger day at a local pub. Solid food can be a nice change. :)

I do think that, as a whole, people (Not just Americans, but they lead the pack) eat too much, particularly when dining out. The primary concept of the restaurant business in America is value for the money and that equates to portion size. If the patron is not to feel cheated by the price they pay then the portions must be ginormous and the teachings of our parents kick in as we stare at that mountain of food: Waste not, want not. So we eat it all, need it or not. I've always hated the 'supersize' concept because it is invariably too much food, never mind that it is only an extra twenty or fifty cents. We are brainwashed to get the better value and then we force ourselves to eat it lest it go to waste. Better that it go to waist instead.

The USA has only 305 million people while China has 1.3 billion. To keep the Earth from wobbling in it's orbit each American must eat enough to compensate for the weight of 4.3 Chinese. If the average Chinese weighs 140 lbs, each American must ideally aim for 596 lbs. Its our sacrifice to keep the world safely balanced on its axis.

I'm doing my part. :D

kalina
08-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Don't even mention that Cow-Queen Operha in weight related threads. That's sort of like asking Homer Simpson for advice :lol:

There's an interesting theory I've heard about how GG's who are workaholics often tend to have weight issues. I mean they work from the minute they get up to the minute they hit the bed. One such chick I knew has that issue, and she went on a vacation to unwind, she did not change her eating or excercise habits, and she lost several pounds on that relaxing vacation alone. I bet yas that's one of Operha's problems. XD

What's weird is that in my family, 90% of the men of like pee-wee herman thin ( though most of them have pear-shaped bodies, luckily that gene skipped my generation ) and 90% percent of the women are fat. Polish genetics are weird, eh?

Though it's tough being the little, thinner guy in the gym, pressing weights with guys 2-3 times bigger than oneself x_X;

Where I grew up in Brooklyn, all of my Italian neighbors were short, thin Italian men who were married to Italian women who were twice their size. Our neighbors next door had two beautiful Italian daughters, one who was rail thin and model-like and the other who was a few years older, married, and getting kind of pudgy. It's enough to make a guy gay!

Tomfurbs
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
I think everyone in the states needs a good colin cleansing to help out weight issues, gets all that impacted tox matter out of oneself....smeh, most people loose 'those stubborn 10 pounds' with just that alone.

That 'impacted tox matter' that comes out in rubbery strings during one of those colon cleanses is not actually fecal matter that has been in your bowls for decades, as the adverts would have you believe. It is what occurs when psyllium (the active ingredient in those colonix products) binds with the water in your colon. It forms a gel-like substance. If you dropped some psyllium into a tub of water you would see the same result. That rubbery substance has never been dicovered during any colonoscopy.

I am afraid you are falling victim to a scam, mate. You are better off eating a bit more fibre and having a deep colonic.

celticgrafix
08-20-2008, 05:33 AM
fuck yeh, americans make us look bad

dinkinabutt
09-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Never mind 'Super-Size Me'.

Read 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Schlosser...you'll never eat fast food again, unless you have a death wish. :(

vietboy
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Actually, this thread is a plug for tonights "Iron Chef America",
Starting: Now (Central US time)
Do Americans watch too much Television?

hondarobot
09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Why did this thread get bumped up from the grave? As far as television, there is no such thing as too much Iron Chef. I'd explain my devotion to the show in more depth, but I'm due on stage at a strip club this morning. True story.

It's a dirty job, but some lucky bastard has to do it.

:wink: