PDA

View Full Version : Frakkin' Toasters! BSG Thread

lupinIII
08-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Hey y'all does anyone here watch Battlestar Galactica? I've just gotten up to date on the 4th season, and it's somewhat intriguing where the show's going to go.

I still disagree with the political message being promoted by the show, something that irritated me from episode 1, but love the character development and interactions.

Plus I really want a Viper, the way those things are realised in the CGI is goddamn (gods-damn) stunning.

cycleman
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
No new episodes until 9th of January 2009, and forget about seeing it on Australian TV unless it becomes "Dancing with the Centurians" or "Collonial Idol" or "Backyard battlestar blitz"

Fuck free-to-air TV in OZ sucks ass....

Bohica
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
They have a new show comming soon, "Caprica" about the adama family a generation before BSG looks more drama then sci fi

tsmandy
08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I've been obsessively watching BSG on DVD this summer. Unfortunately I have to wait a year for season 4 to come out, oh well.

I'm not sure exactly what political message you are talking about since the whole thing seems to borrow from religious and political traditions throughout history (but someone with a stronger dork card could prove me wrong).

A longstanding fantasy of mine is to get fucked by #6, meow. Especially if she would rough me up a little bit first.

Tomfurbs
08-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Torrents

I fucking love BSG

icarus2112
08-15-2008, 10:21 PM
BSG is in the top 5 of my favorite shows. I have all previous seasons on DVD and just have to wait for the conclusion now. It sucks that this is the last season, gonna have to keep an eye out for that Caprica episode?

lupinIII
08-16-2008, 07:17 AM
I could have been reading into it waaay too much but the undercurrent of the 1st 2 seasons was a deeply conservative pro-militaristic viewpoint that idealised the structures (Bush Administration and U.S. military policy) which in the real world have been the cause of great amounts of suffering while essentialising the cause of the 'other' the outsiders by labeling them simply as religious nuts.

They also tend to downplay any ideas of political pluralism by having the only opposing voice to the President be a radicalist asshole. I realise I'm probably just reading into the whole thing from a warped angle, like maybe the writers are actually trying to highlight these elements for criticism, but I feel like they sorta fail and just glorify them.

That said, a lot of my criticisms were alleviated through seasons 3 and the 1st half of 4, where there's a general theme of reconciliation and change in ideas and attitudes.

Mandy, I'm right there with you, though for me it would be both Kara Thrace and #6 with me in some handcuffs and they doing their sadistic/seductive worst, preferably if #6 is wearing that red dress she's usually in in Gaius Balthar's dreams.

tsmandy
08-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Mandy, I'm right there with you, though for me it would be both Kara Thrace and #6 with me in some handcuffs and they doing their sadistic/seductive worst, preferably if #6 is wearing that red dress she's usually in in Gaius Balthar's dreams.

Yeah the red dress is over the top. I think its my girlfriends number 1 fantasy, watching me bone #6, maybe one of mine right now too.

As for the politics, I think the politics of BSG are interesting and don't really promote any sort of viewpoint (other than perhaps roundly rejecting the basis of Christianity in season 3.5), though they do explore issues like torture and combatting terrorism, occupation and resistance etc...But I don't think they have an agenda.

OMG, I've become a sci-fi dork over the past 2 years. How did that happen?

Carlos
08-16-2008, 07:37 PM
BSG Rocks!!! If you don't agree then Frack you!

lol

lupinIII
08-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Holy hell the ending was just insane though, "SPOILERS"It was just such an amazing visual seeing the earth as an irradiated wasteland. I actually have no idea of where the hell its going to go."END SPOILERS"

Actually this is something the show has done amazingly well, in that the unexpected plot twists are actually, you know, unexpected.

cycleman I've pretty much got the hookup when in comes to TV, in other words, I have a friend with an uber fast interweb connection no moral qualms about media piracy, it's awesome! I watched the Doctor Who season final about 3 hours after it aired in the U.K. While the ABC is still stuck on like the 8th episode.

tsmandy
08-17-2008, 06:17 AM
One thing that I can never get out of my mind is how much Colonel Tigh reminds me of John McCain. Every time Tigh does something stupid I think McCain must be a mean and nasty drunk too.

lupinIII
08-17-2008, 11:08 AM
braveman watch it all, if you're into the quality sci-fi, you won't regret it. The plots, characters and production values rock. The effects are done by the guys who did Firefly.

MerriCait
08-17-2008, 02:33 PM
personaly, i think this show sucks, it's nothing like the origional, the origional was a classic, this just ruins it. they shoulda just made it a new show compleatly instead of ruining a classic.

lupinIII
08-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I mean this endorsement is coming from a guy who grew up being inundated with with nerdy pop culture crap, for fuck's sake I did a course at uni that was the sociology of sci-fi and utopian ideals in western society, so really, I might be somewhat skewed in my thinking (ooh! spaceships = awesome), but this show seems to appeal to people who haven't had any sci-fi inculcation so yeah, it's quite probable that you'll like it.

IrishJim
08-17-2008, 06:31 PM
u gotta luv BSG, own the original series plus all the latest on DVD plus i've downloaded season 4, all i can say is that i got hooked because every single episode ended with u wanting more, i just sat there and was like fuck me i must see what happens next, awesome frakking show

blackmaji
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
As Long as this damn wait is till the rest of the season is shown, I think I am going to have to watch all of the eps again. I have to say that I am really wondering who the final cylon is? I mean wouldn't it be great if mandy was the final cylon?

lupinIII
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM
It's gotta be someone new, if #3 is to be trusted the final one isn't in the colonial fleet.

thefrakkincaptain
08-17-2008, 06:46 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

The biggest mystery remains, though: who is the fifth Cylon? I say it's Baltar. When they brought Deanna "out of the box", she said that four of the final five were with the Fleet. That means that the fifth logically has to be one of two places: either one the rebel baseship or (for reasons yet to be revealed) still on Earth. The latter doesn't make much sense, so I'm hedging my bets on the baseship. The only to logical suspects on the baseship are Roslyn and Baltar. Deanna's already fucked with Laura's head about being on of the final five and said that she was just messing with her, so I think we can safely rule her out. It would make sense for her to be the last of the final five, but it looks like they're going in a different direction. Hell, they've been doing that since the show started.

Thoughts from anyone on who the final cylon is or what happened to Earth?

blackmaji
08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I mean that is a possiblity, but what do you say about starbuck being a clone? I mean WTF is that all about?

thefrakkincaptain
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't think Starbuck is a clone. Starbuck is one of the Gods. I don't remember what her name is, but late in Season 3 she gave Bill a little winged humanoid figurine that was supposed to represent the Goddess of the Dawn. I believe that's who Starbuck is, she just doesn't know it.

tsmandy
08-17-2008, 08:28 PM
I have to say that I am really wondering who the final cylon is? I mean wouldn't it be great if mandy was the final cylon?

I would be pleased. Then I'd get a threesome with Lucy Lawless and #6 and I could live forever.

blackmaji
08-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I cant find the link, but the script for the next eps was already released, and in it, it tells that the fire that She is sitting by is of her old body and her old viper.

And if Mandy was the last one, there would have to be a final scene with all the cylons getting it on! That would make the series the best!

hondarobot
08-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I had the first season dvds at work for a couple months, but I never did watch any of them. I caught one episode on TV one night and it was good, but I never got caught up in the whole BSG craze going on at the moment.

I have heard from everyone I know who watches it that it's an awesome series.

lupinIII
08-18-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't remember what her name is

Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace

Shit, I didn't consider the fact that Xena (#3) was being a stickler for details. I don't know though, it seems too obvious for Baltar to be the final Cylon, and it couldn't be any of the other Colonial pilots who were held hostage aboard the Basestar because that would be way too far out of left field. I'm actually thinking that it might be Roslin. It has happened a couple of times previously when a character has jokingly said 'I'm a Cylon' or 'you're a Cylon' and turned out to be right (Brother Cavil revealed himself this way, and I recall Tyrol doing something similar in season 2 only to be revealed in season 3).

thefrakkincaptain
08-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace

No, I meant the Goddess of the Dawn. I don't remember what HER name was. Think you could help me out with that one?

lupinIII
08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Shit sorry dude, I should probably have known that a guy who's name is 'thefrakkincaptain' would know Starbuck's real name, my bad, I believe the goddess was Aurora.

lupinIII
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Hurray! It's back! What do people think? I like where Gaeta's character is going, especially after watching the most recent webisodes. Also, re: Adama and Rosslyn? It's about frakkin' time! I also loved the big reveals in the first ep regarding Starbuck, Tigh, and the Cylon Earth. Anyways, post away sci-fi nerds.