PDA

View Full Version : WTF?!? Do yall Find this Offensive?

DJ_Asia
08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
or is it just no big deal?

Advert featuring the mens and womens Spanish basketball teams showing that they are on their way to China in an "odd" way.

lazyman
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Not really. I guess if one was in the business of being a professional offence-taker, then one could be offended. Making gestures that reflect different ethnic group's physical traits is not the same as denigrating those traits, or that group.

alpha2117
08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
It's tasteless. I dont think it's super offensive but then i'm not asian.

slinky
08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
yes

TheRealIrishBoy
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Well its a well know fact that the spanish are extremely racist, as can be evidenced by regular abuse of blacks at soccer matches and other such events, so it doesnt surprise me!

mrbig
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm not asian either, but sure it's offensive AND tasteless, no'doubt about it...

SarahG
08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Well its a well know fact that the spanish are extremely racist, as can be evidenced by regular abuse of blacks at soccer matches and other such events, so it doesnt surprise me!

You can say that again.

It has been so bad in recent years that F1 has had to go right out and say they won't put up with that kind of crap at their events.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm Asian (part Chinese actually, My gradfather hails from China - dad side) and I really don't find it offensive. According the online article a friend was telling me..he said the chinese photogs Ling Ning or the product they were endorsing asked them to do that. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

EyeCumInPiece
08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Its funny, but they are obviously being racist...

Legend
08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Nope, japanese and chinese people are really bad when comes to stereotyping so i don't think it offends them.Just look how they depict african americans.

lazyman
08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
What? "Professional offence-taker?" what? You are calling him a professional offence taker because he raises a legitimate question? wow

The photo did get some press: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/11/olympicsbasketball.olympics20081

"Making gestures that reflect different ethnic group's physical traits is not the same as denigrating those traits, or that group." Easy to say when you are not a member of the group being made fun of. :smh:

The players and their coaches may not have meant to offend, however, their decision to mimic their hosts racial features showed poor judgement.

Not really. I guess if one was in the business of being a professional offence-taker, then one could be offended. Making gestures that reflect different ethnic group's physical traits is not the same as denigrating those traits, or that group.

1 - I did not call the OP a professional offence-taker - indeed, his post doesn't even say that he takes offence, he is asking if other people do.

2 - The very fact that you say "group being made fun of" indicates that you view any reference to ethnic difference as mockery. I know racist abuse when I see it, believe me. And if you can see it in that photo, you must be leading a very, very quiet life.

NYBURBS
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
In all honesty, who gives a shit. People intimating violence against others, or engaging in conduct that actually violates another persons rights is something that would upset me. What some random basketball team does in some random photo??? I couldn't care less.

Dinand
08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I actually find it funny, but then again I'm not really politically that correct.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Well they could have been tricked by the sponsor for all we know to pose like that to create "controversy". Besides, good or bad publicity - Is still publicity for their team and the sponsor! Remember Pepsi and Madonna's "LIke a Prayer" Pepsi Ad from awhile back?

The Spaniards replied about this controversy here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news;_ylt=An2olrGcrCmMXTJ8ZkNwbUgazJV4?slug=ro-spain081308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Reality TV shows does the same thing..exploiting people for good ratings. I personally think the press were blowing this out of proportion. :roll:

~Kisses.

HTG

GroobySteven
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
It's offensive in the same way that at a recent Spanish F1 practise session, Spanish fans (probably supporting Alonso) blacked their faces and wore T-Shirts saying "Hamilton's Family".

It has been blown out of proportion, if the whole team had just said it was a bad call and apologised from the start instead of trying to justify it, it would have been ok.

It wasn't the Chinese company that sponsors this team, that demanded the photo Hara, it was another sponsor.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Well then FUCK that sponsor not the Spaniards! lol ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

SarahG
08-13-2008, 10:31 PM

~Kisses.

HTG

You're right, "just following orders" is a better argument.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-13-2008, 10:42 PM

~Kisses.

HTG

You're right, "just following orders" is a better argument.

lol People are known to do things even if they don't get anything in return. Just look at a few threads on here..like Hottest guy contest, post your dick pic etc. Imagine what people would do for pay and or free merchandise? Some men go gay for pay! :lol:

http://straightguysarebroke.com/maintour.php/22891/131/adwds

~Kisses.

HTG

ottorocket
08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I wouldnt call them professional athletes behaving like that. Any person that calls themselves a professional should know innappropriate behavior that has no relevance to sports, representative stature, and the people who are hosting the games. IMO its not personally offensive, its just plain ignoran for the position they signifyt..and thats more offensive.

muhmuh
08-13-2008, 11:38 PM
ahem... is ther actually even just one chinese paper that bothered to report on that? i rather doubt it

hondarobot
08-13-2008, 11:57 PM
It's offensive, but I wouldn't go so far to call it racist or anything. It's the equivalent of putting a lampshade on your head at a party.

I just got paid to spend the whole day today in a large strip club, though, so I'm in a forgiving mood. I even checked out the "locker room". Tanning beds, whirl pool, sauna, showers, exercise equipment, etc. If I ever need a place to stay, I'll just move in there.

8)

peggygee
08-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Yes, I find it quite offensive.

GroobySteven
08-14-2008, 01:24 AM
ahem... is ther actually even just one chinese paper that bothered to report on that? i rather doubt it

Gosh a little research without speaking :roll:

All over the Chinese press.

APD2
08-14-2008, 02:15 AM
It's offensive, but I wouldn't go so far to call it racist or anything. It's the equivalent of putting a lampshade on your head at a party.
8)

That reminds me....
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aOzuUvw6u5k
:mrgreen:

hondarobot
08-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-AVDeLNC0M

Lick UR Lovely
08-14-2008, 03:31 AM
I find it quite funny! Humor is good for the soul.... :P

Solitary Brother
08-14-2008, 05:24 AM
This is pretty fucked up in my opinion....

The chinese dont like it.
Spain wont win anyways so fuck em'

plankton
08-14-2008, 07:05 AM
People are waaay to sensitive nowadays. It's almost like some people want to be offended.

plankton
08-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Really? Then please explain why a spokeswoman for the IOC, that's the governing body of the Olympics in case you don't know, called the stunt "clearly inappropriate?"

People are waaay to sensitive nowadays. It's almost like some people want to be offended.Because people are to friggin sensitive that's why.

Realgirls4me
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
People are waaay to sensitive nowadays. It's almost like some people want to be offended.

They want to be offended for who they are? You don't see the obvious racial overtones in this? Stupid, insensitive, offensive, and unwarranted. It is not up to you to determine what and what isn't offensive. This was offensive and very disrespectful. How can you not see that?

Tomfurbs
08-14-2008, 09:15 AM
The whole thing is definitely stupid. If some photographer asks you to something stupid, the adult response is to say no. The fact that the whole team thought it ok to do this is kind of worrying.

Realgirls4me
08-14-2008, 09:18 AM
The whole thing is definitely stupid. If some photographer asks you to something stupid, the adult response is to say no. The fact that the whole team thought it ok to do this is kind of worrying.

Exactly. Did it not occur to one -- ONE -- person at that shoot that it might be offensive? Are their sorry minds just set up now for hitting the open man? No working filter?

I mean, duuuuuuh. :(

blckhaze
08-15-2008, 01:18 AM
not offensive to me but i can see why it could be.

if they had all worn their short at their knees, red bandanas with hat tilted to a side flashing hand signs, the US BBall team prolly wouldve kick the shit outta them though.