PDA

View Full Version : Beijing 2008 Games - Opening Day!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-09-2008, 02:42 AM
http://en.beijing2008.cn/

Top Events:

* Archery
* Badminton
* Baseball
* Basketball
* Beach Volleyball
* Boxing
* Canoe/Kayak
* Cycling
* Diving
* Equestrian
* Fencing
* Field Hockey
* Gymnastics
* Handball
* Judo
* Modern Pentathlon

* Rowing
* Sailing
* Shooting
* Soccer
* Softball
* Swimming
* Synchronized Swimming
* Table Tennis
* Tennis
* Taekwondo
* Track & Field
* Triathlon
* Volleyball
* Water Polo
* Weightlifting
* Wrestling

What is your favorite events and why? Who are your bets for your favorite events?

:P

~Kisses.

HTG

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Wooo Hoooo. I'll be watching for sure. I have loved the Olympics since I was a little kid.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I do too Dan! My favorite events are: Men's swimming, diving (Alexandre Despatie), water polo, volleyball, gymnastics (both womens and mens), rowing and track and field.

http://z.about.com/d/diving/1/0/s/0/-/-/51230249.jpg

:P

~Kisses.

HTG

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Swimming and diving are my favs too along with gymnastics. Probably because i did them competitively in high school. But when it is the olympics, any competion is good. Hell when the winter olympics are on, I'll even watch the curling events. Who the hell would watch curling at anytime other than in the olympics LOL.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-09-2008, 03:03 AM
I agree. The opening ceremony was magnificent!

http://img10.beijing2008.cn/20080809/Img214519298.jpg
http://img03.beijing2008.cn/20080808/Img214517940.jpg

~Kisses.

HTG

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Hey, how did you see it already? did you watch it on the Internet or something?

BrendaQG
08-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Gymnastics, track and field, I also like to see a good mix of the more obscure sports. I really HATE those cheesy sappy athlete's bio's.

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 03:19 AM
The only complaint I have about the olympics is that I think they should bradcast more events live.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Hey, how did you see it already? did you watch it on the Internet or something?

Google it baby! lol ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 03:31 AM
I figured that is how you saw it. I'll wait for the local broadcast. I'm sure it will look much better in HD than on my crappy grainy monitor :)

yx
08-09-2008, 03:34 AM
I saw the ceremony this morning. It was awesome.

Anyway, tennis is what I'm most interested in. I prefer singles, though doubles can be fun too. I'll watch other events as well, but I'm not much of a summer sports guy.

Oh and why does everybody have a hard on for Despatie? I must be the only person from Quebec who doesn't give a shit about that guy. I mean, he seems nice enough and his French actually seems very good compared to most people (which is something I like), but damn... The guy just dives. In a speedo. He's amazing at what he does, but there are plenty of fantastic athletes that nobody ever talks about... Oh well.

Legend
08-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Basketball-I love to see those pompous , arrogant f**kers get beat at what is supposely their expertise. I smiled came upon my face when they got their asses handed to them on a silver platter last year.I want to see a repeat.

Nikka
08-09-2008, 03:45 AM
what about a sword fight?

hungtung1
08-09-2008, 03:48 AM
The only complaint I have about the olympics is that I think they should bradcast more events live.You might be forgetting that China is across the international dateline and the time difference may having you watching some events live at 3am in the morning PST.

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Basketball-I love to see those pompous , arrogant f**kers get beat at what is supposely their expertise. I smiled came upon my face when they got their asses handed to them on a silver platter last year.I want to see a repeat.

The so called "redeem team" better not loose this time. The last olympic 3rd place finish was a total disgrace. I think the USA plays China in their first game. A loss there would just be pathetic and they might as well just pack up and come home. Ok, that last comment was a bit rude and uncalled for, but they better win anyway. LOL.

I'm sure the players on the original Dream Team went crazy watching the last Olympics.

hwbs
08-09-2008, 03:53 AM
those were different times.....these games many countries have a full nba starting 5 !!!!

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 03:56 AM
The only complaint I have about the olympics is that I think they should bradcast more events live.You might be forgetting that China is across the international dateline and the time difference may having you watching some events live at 3am in the morning PST.

That may be true, but there are times when I am awake at those hours. And besides there would be other times like 8 A.M, 10 A.M etc... where it would be live but still at a decent hour to watch. The bottom line is that I like watching the Olympic games and I would watch them whenever I had the chance to turn on the TV (no pun intended) :)

LUVitALL
08-09-2008, 03:57 AM
these opening ceremonies are INCREDIBLE

great stuff

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 04:05 AM
those were different times.....these games many countries have a full nba starting 5 !!!!

You make a good point, but I still think that if the original Dream Team were still in their prime, no other country would have a chance. That is just my personal opinion, and it is really impossible to say who is better since all those guys have long been retired. It's kind of like the last football season where a lot of sports casters were comparing the Patriots to the 1989 49ers. A lot were saying the Pats were soooooo much better. Oh ya, the niners won the superbowl and the pats went home losers. LOL.I guess that settles that!!!

Anyway, it will still be exciting to see what happens with basketball!!!

BrendaQG
08-09-2008, 04:13 AM

That may be true, but there are times when I am awake at those hours. And besides there would be other times like 8 A.M, 10 A.M etc... where it would be live but still at a decent hour to watch. The bottom line is that I like watching the Olympic games and I would watch them whenever I had the chance to turn on the TV (no pun intended) :)

I know what you mean. I can recall when ABC covered the olympics. They would just cut from sport to sport to sport whenever there was a lull at one venue there was almost always something else going on. You know "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." Instead all we get is ton's of commercials.

At least with the olympics in China there probably won't be a logo on all of the gymnastics apparatus like there is when it's in the west.

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Thats what I'm talkin about Brenda!!! Maybe its just me, but I really get off on watching the Olympics :)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Parade of Nations up next!! :P

Are you guys watching? ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

blckhaze
08-09-2008, 06:22 AM
even though steriods has killed it a lil, the 100m and 200m ae my faves.

Ill also watch to see Micheal Phelps obliterate evryon else in the swimming.

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 06:29 AM
OK, I just watched it on TV and it was really good. A lot of money and a ton of work went into it and it looked great to me. I thought the guys doing the tai chi around the little kids was the best.

Legend
08-09-2008, 06:30 AM

You make a good point, but I still think that if the original Dream Team were still in their prime, no other country would have a chance. That is just my personal opinion, and it is really impossible to say who is better since all those guys have long been retired. It's kind of like the last football season where a lot of sports casters were comparing the Patriots to the 1989 49ers. A lot were saying the Pats were soooooo much better. Oh ya, the niners won the superbowl and the pats went home losers. LOL.I guess that settles that!!!

I am going to agree with hollywood different times here most countries are up to date i do not think that old dream team would fair that good against other countries now.You might as well say that dream team that won the gold was playing countries that resembled teams from the old peach baskets days.

dan_drade
08-09-2008, 06:44 AM

I am going to agree with hollywood different times here most countries are up to date i do not think that old dream team would fair that good against other countries now.You might as well say that dream team that won the gold was playing countries that resembled teams from the old peach baskets days.

I can't argue with you guys. Times have changed and so have the basketball programs in other countries. But in the last olympic games our team was really sloppy and did not perform well at all. IMHO I dont think that team could have competed well against any NBA team. That was a long time ago and I have done my best to forget more than I remember, but from my recollection they just played poorly and should have been much better. So lets see if the "redeem team" can do better than 2004.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Maybe its just me, but I really get off on watching the Olympics :)

You mean literally? lol ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Tomfurbs
08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I watched the opening ceremony live at work!

the tai chi was awesome. Thought Lang Lang would have been more of a feature though.

I fucking love the olympics. I thought it was great that they had the various nations walk out according to the Chinese alphabet.

ptyseminole
08-09-2008, 05:20 PM
awesome, that's all there is to say.

TomSelis
08-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Women's Volleyball....on now.

dan_drade
08-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Woooo Hooo Michael Phelps won the gold in the 400 IM

dan_drade
08-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Maybe its just me, but I really get off on watching the Olympics :)

You mean literally? lol ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

LOL, I figured you would say that.

dan_drade
08-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Bummer, it looks like the medal count is tied at 8 with China and the US. When I looked last night, the US was up 8 to 4. Oh well, there are still a lot of medals to be won and at least the US beat China in basketball.