PDA

View Full Version : What kind of music do you prefer?

LG
08-05-2005, 10:16 AM
We seemed to touch upon the high proportion of rap fans around here. I'm just curious to see what kind of music people listen to.

TomSelis
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
A little bit of everything. Picking one wouldn't do my tastes justice. I don't do Heavy Metal, even though I have Velvet Revolver, Van Halen and NiN. You need an eclectic category.

I also like UK rap like Garage and the newer Grime. The Streets, Artful Dodger, Lady Sovereign, etc. Good stuff that.

pili
08-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Pearl Jam, Korn, Metallica, Red hot.... 8)

NYCe
08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
i didn't know you could have that many poll options, lol

hwbs
08-05-2005, 03:26 PM
all u need is the ever popular write in vote,lol

Chica
08-05-2005, 04:51 PM
i like the underground funky house beats from NYC - mainly roger sanchez :D

LG
08-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Strange. I would have thought that rap music would poll much higher...

Ecstatic
08-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Isn't that interesting: folk and world music is polling ahead of rap. My tastes are quite diverse; I'm not a rap or hiphop fan, nor a heavy metal fan, yet there are some performers in those areas that I enjoy. I would prefer to pick three to represent me better than any one: folk and world, classic rock and pop, and classic or modern jazz or acid jazz.

LG
08-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Ecstatic, I don't think there's any way of being able to choose multiple options or of putting the poll together in such a way as to allow it. I ended up picking Techno, but I also listen to classic rock (lots of '60s stuff), jazz and some world music.

Ecstatic
08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
You're right, not the way the polling software is set up: it's radio buttons, one choice only. Closest we could come with this system would be three separate polls, one for first choice, one for second choice, and one for third, and then we'd have to concatenate the results.

Or link to a more sophisticated poll outside the forum.

lmw222001
08-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Shit, I Really Do Like Everything: Pearl Jam, 50, Velvet Revolver, Jay Z,
Pink, Ray Charles, M+M, Springsteen.......Good Topic

LG
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Ecstatic said

You're right, not the way the polling software is set up: it's radio buttons, one choice only. Closest we could come with this system would be three separate polls, one for first choice, one for second choice, and one for third, and then we'd have to concatenate the results.

Somtehing for the mods to note, perhaps.

Do you know of any good sites offering this?

geekmeat
08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I have a suggestion.
Since we have a place to put pictures why not create a place to put original music productions?
I do beats,primarily house but some hip hop types beats too and would love to lace the group with some ORIGINAL non boring music.
I think my stuff is as good or better than the radio.
What do you all think?

Ecstatic
08-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Ecstatic said

Somtehing for the mods to note, perhaps.

Do you know of any good sites offering this?
In this subject area, no, but I'll let you know if I find any. Such features could be programmed in php on this site if the mods/owners wanted to get into it, or software could be added to allow richer polls, but the level of complexity rises rapidly as you move away from the one-question, one-out-of-several-answer type of poll.

chefmike
08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
yes, this poll is rather slim for the eclectic listener, (many of these categories only found by buying, downloading, or your local college station...early punk, garage, so-called roots rock (hard to define, but I know it when I hear it), rockabilly, blues, ya'llternative (a favorite), and the list goes on...

ezed
08-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Where are the "blues"? The birth mother of many types listed.

LAtoNY
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I like both kinds of music!!

Country AND Western!

(not really - but I always thought that was a funny line -- from Blues Brothers I think)

NickTheQuick
08-19-2005, 12:55 PM

Hector
08-20-2005, 01:46 PM
The Kanye is dope! See if you can find me the new Pharrell single and album.

NickTheQuick
08-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Hector
08-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Pardon me playa,
Here is a great Twista track by the Neptunes

Hector
08-27-2005, 02:34 PM
http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MAB47ETIDTKD25MBRPK0EJWGD

LG
06-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Bump...

An old thread, but since we're talking about it...why not revive this poll...

Willie Escalade
06-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Good bump.

I chose Rap, but I listen to a lot of Old School R&B (circa 1968-1983). I do branch out into jazz and some classic rock now and then.

fiftyfin1
10-28-2007, 10:39 AM
indie rock

The16th
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
i actually prefer DeathMetal but the thrash metal option was close enough

ottorocket
10-29-2007, 07:03 PM
I voted Jazz...but i also listen to alot of blues and 70's funk

crayons
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM

rap music is the worst genre EVER!! :shock:

Twinkie_Rameriez
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Avant-Garde is where it's at

Night Rider
10-29-2007, 08:01 PM

rap music is the worst genre EVER!! :shock:

I agree with the exception of some 2pac and Notorious B.I.G tunes...

...the rest is absolute shite

Clind
10-29-2007, 08:17 PM
ROCK
Joy Division
The Smiths
Siouxsiee and The Banshees
Pink Floyd
Happy Mondays
The Fall
AFRO FUNK
Fela Kuti
Mano Dubnago
Amadou et Mariam
JAZZ
Keith Jarrett
Bill Evans

Pat Metheny
Charlie Hadden
REAGGAE
Burning Spear
Bob Marley
Augustus Pablo

also
Ennio Morricone
Bach

[/b][/u]

Coroner
10-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Jazz (Free Jazz, Bebop, Hard Bop), Jazz-Fusion or Jazz-Rock, Classic (Stravinsky, Bach, Vivaldi, Schostakovich, Schubert...), Thrash/Heavy/Progressive/Neo-Classical and some technical Death Metal.

BiCuriousGeorge
10-30-2007, 02:20 AM
I like rock bands like Linkin Park, Korn, Metallica, NIN, but also like 80's music. Only rap I like is Old School and some artists like Eminem, Ludacris and Busta Rhymes. I absolutely hate "Gangsta" rap!!

fiftyfin1
11-02-2007, 03:21 AM
indie and jazz

gaiseric
11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
My music taste depends on my mood at the time - but mainly:
Meat Loaf, Cher, Blackfoot, Capercaillie, Vanessa Mae, Emmy Lou Harris, Harry Chapin, Michael Ball, Texas, Renaissance + lots of Classical Music

If I thinkof any others after I've searched through my cd's, I'll put another post on.

TJT
11-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Depends on what day it is but I do get sucked into catagories/genres for periods.

The mainstays are mid/late-60's garage/early proto-punk along with blues,R&B,and early Rock and Roll. Stax/Muscle Shoals soul is up there too.

Then there is my mission to spread the Word of Mojo Nixon to the masses. He's America's Lost Prophet and howlin' lunatic.

Clind,is Fela Kuti still alive?

SexyMagdi
11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I like Rock, Jazz, Techno, Classical, and som rap and r&b.

Clind
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Depends on what day it is but I do get sucked into catagories/genres for periods.

The mainstays are mid/late-60's garage/early proto-punk along with blues,R&B,and early Rock and Roll. Stax/Muscle Shoals soul is up there too.

Then there is my mission to spread the Word of Mojo Nixon to the masses. He's America's Lost Prophet and howlin' lunatic.

i just checked it out,now Fela is dead,he died in 1997...and now that i wrote this sentence i remembered another favorite music band....
"Bauhaus"..........Fela is dead
" Bella Lugozi is dead"

ed_jaxon
11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Here's the acid test......

Who have you gone to see? Spent money, stood in line just to see.

Sinatra
The Grateful Dead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bob Dylan
Parliament/Funkadelic
Steely Dan
NWA w/ Cube
Ween
Pat Metheny
Spyro Gyra
Roy Ayers
Chicago Symphony
Dolomite (not music but the true originator of Rap)
Police
Woodstock '94
Ohio Players
Lalapalooza
Burning Man
Nancy Wilson
Eric Clapton
The Who
Paul Oakenfold
They Might Be Giants
Sade
The Stones

Many were multiple times

ed_jaxon
11-02-2007, 06:53 PM
And where is Lounge music on the survey?

CORVETTEDUDE
11-02-2007, 07:08 PM
First of all, LG...you should not include "Pop" with "Classic Rock"!!!

Because you did that, I was forced to vote Heavy Metal, which would include;
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
AC/DC
Dokken
The Groundhogs
Accept
etc.

D'yer Mak'er
11-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I love classic rock, but went with heavy metal because of the 'pop' tag.
I probably do listen to metal more, but would pick more favorites from the classic rock genre.

tg4me
11-03-2007, 02:44 AM

MOJO NIXON? Penatrators,Beat Farmers,Jacks, X... never heard of them. That's my story and I'm sticken to it. :roll:

eddie03
11-03-2007, 11:22 AM
For me the best are:

IRON MAIDEN!!!
Dio
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Sabbath with Dio aka Heaven and Hell
Bruce Dickinson solo
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Clutch
Nightwish
AC/DC
Disturbed

so yes I voted Heavy Metal
Up the Irons! :rock2 :rock2

TJT
11-03-2007, 05:01 PM

MOJO NIXON? Penatrators,Beat Farmers,Jacks, X... never heard of them. That's my story and I'm sticken to it. :roll:

May the ghost of Country Dick Montana have mercy on your soul.

-ShemaleLover-
11-03-2007, 05:29 PM
heavy, rock, almost everything little heavier. oh yeah and country :D