PDA

View Full Version : I miss the Ol' Days in NYC at Edelweiss and Sally's

EdelweissFan
08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi, I am new to these boards and just wanted to say hello, make a comment and ask a question.

As my screen name shows, I was a fan of the old Edelweiss in its hey day and it is sad that nothing like it (or the old Sally's) exists anymore. The Giuliani administration shut down almost every venue for Tgirls in NYC, and as far as I know nothing has come back.

From lurking here a couple of days, it seems that several members here are from NYC. As far as you know, is there any other place the T community and admirers went to? I know about Gloria Wholesome's events at Nowbar, but they were cruder and more late night than Edelweiss and Sally's, which had a nice after work set, as well as late night fun. There were working girls at Edelweiss and Sally's but there were also just Ts hanging out, having drinks and fun with admirers.

I have heard that in the Roosevelt Ave area there are Latin gay clubs that are T friendly or even have T nights, but I can't really hang out late like I used to when I was an unattached young'en. I tried one, and the first and practically only Tgirl showed up at about 2 am.

Where did all the after work ladies go to? It's so sad that those days seem to be completely over.

thorn
08-02-2005, 08:31 PM
I also miss the peep show place on 42nd street off of 8th Avenue, the one that had traany one-on-one booths upstairs. There used to be a blonde who called herself Sheryl (as I recall). Tall, slender and totally passable with a beautiful, very large penis. One of the other girls there once said that compared to her, the rest of them looked like they had small clits. She was friendly as could be with a beautiful smile. I just regret that I never called her for a private session

popperluv
08-02-2005, 08:35 PM
I also miss the peep show place on 42nd street off of 8th Avenue, the one that had traany one-on-one booths upstairs. There used to be a blonde who called herself Sheryl (as I recall). Tall, slender and totally passable with a beautiful, very large penis. One of the other girls there once said that compared to her, the rest of them looked like they had small clits. She was friendly as could be with a beautiful smile. I just regret that I never called her for a private session

I think I remember who your talking about.
She moved to florida. Im gonna look for some pics of her.
ShowWorld was the best!

thorn
08-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Some pics of her would be great. She once told me that she was doing some fashion modeling, maybe in Europe? not sure.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Peep Show (or World, whatever the fuck it was called) was NOTORIOUS............... some of the so called DIVAS of various houses working there in the daytime......

I dont miss Edelweiss now that Allanah is doing her thing. Edelweiss in the 40's section had one thing going for it...... 2 floors on weekends

The space was wonderful, surprised no one bought that shit and revamped it

canihavu
08-03-2005, 03:11 AM
I know what you guys are talking about. I miss the good ole days as well. In addition to Show World, there was a spot right on 42nd St that had booths on the 1st floor and live TGirls upstairs... When I worked in the City, I would spend many a lunch break there. Too bad there is reall y no place to see live TGirls during the day anymore...I used to love Sally's, you could go ther for a drink and chill and sometimes get lucky in the Mens Room, lol. As for Edelweiss, I have heard some bad stories about that place, but I never had a bad experience there. I remember the 1st time I discovered they had a "down stairs", I was like whoa. I got lost down there for like 3 or 4 hours one night, lol.

ABSOLUTE SHADE
08-03-2005, 05:32 AM
I miss Sally's also.

innavoice
08-03-2005, 05:39 AM
i remember quite a few girls between the two peep spots...and Sally's.

Funny there were times when i'd think back and couldn't remember which was which.....and which girl i'd seen where.

So i did what any horny bastard would do......visited both.

Sally's had that laid back atmosphere.....a lukewarm hustle. You could get to know the girls....just hang out.

It was......loungy.

Edelweiss was more like a amusement park......all types of rides....twists and turns....and various other ways to kill a paycheck.

08-03-2005, 06:00 AM
it was in existance in midtown during the original sallys -- not sallys II -- heyday. barnums was wild. tgrrls swinging overhead, blowjobs in the booths, dudes selling loose joints -- the girls would buy the weed for you for a buck tip and then get high with you. also a few blocks north of sallys was a tgrll club, jumpin'. it had a spanish name that i cant recall. edelweis started in an asian restaurant down on 29th street before moving next to the market diner at 43rd and 10th, or is it 11th? anyone remember a real beauty named andrea? let's here some more nostalgia and experiences in those clubs. i remember the doorman at sallys, a spanish guy named angel. and wasnt sally some low level mob guy, but also a queen? i'd see him pop in now and then, carried a fancy walking stick.

slinky
08-03-2005, 07:22 AM
edelweis started in an asian restaurant down on 29th street before moving next to the market diner at 43rd and 10th,

I think you may be confusing 2 spots. There was Speed Limit 55, which was a Japanese restaurant, but I'm pretty sure Edeleweis was German.

Reddman
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
edelweis started in an asian restaurant down on 29th street before moving next to the market diner at 43rd and 10th,

I think you may be confusing 2 spots. There was Speed Limit 55, which was a Japanese restaurant, but I'm pretty sure Edeleweis was German.

Damn Danny you read my mind.LOL i could not remember the name of the restaurant that housed the original Edel parites. Lo and behold ya come up with the answer. If i recall coprrectly didn't the party float in a few spaces besides Speed Limit. My memory is pretty fuzzy gotta leave that weed alone lol.

EdelweissFan
08-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all your replies. You make the new guy on the block feel welcome!

For a walk down memory lane, some photographer created a website that has photos and a history of Sally's.

http://www.sallys-hideaway.com/

One extremely odd fact that this history does not mention is that when the manager of Sally's, a Tgirl named Dorian Corey, died, the police discovered a body in her closet. The body had been wrapped in plastic and the person had apparently been killed many years before, and Dorian, unable to safely dispose of the victim, had been carrying the body around from apartment to apartment for years!

I remember that in the mid 90s I was newly divorced and working long hours and weekends. On Sunday afternoons, after work, I would spend time at Sally's or Edelweiss and it was very friendly, calm and non-hustley at those times.

At times, I have heard rumors that there is one or more similar place in Queens in the Latin community around Roosevelt Ave, but it seems to be a well kept secret in the Latin community.

Any info would be appreciated, because I can't really hang out at night like I used to.

dajuicy
08-03-2005, 03:02 PM
the best "booth" place was the one on 4orty duce, right off of eighth that had had the t girl thing upstairs...they had the rotunda up front, where you could put in tokens with the window going up and seeing the girl in there, and giving her tip etc..and then the individaul girls in the back int the single booths...with the glas partisians....when security got lax, you could get a couple big tokens, and the girl would sneak into your side of the booth and you could have a short taste of girl cock there for 10 or 15 bucks....around the corner on 43rd, south side of the street was i guess sally II, where a lot of the same booth girls would go after work and hang out.....but that was a real "bar" bar....girls at booths talking ...i used to go in there and shoot pool after work and eyeball some of the girls that i had seen earlier at lunchtime in the t girl joint....and i guess on weekends and late night there was dancing and the whole scence cause they had a dj and what not...acuatually there, was TWO PLACES on 43rd that i m thinking about ..one was just this long bar, with a pool table in the back and one was a bigger joint that had a square bar with more room and tables off to one side...maybe that was really sally's II.....different scene different times.....hey, anybody remember that place on 46st street...off of broadway? i fell in love with a girl fromthat bar!

canihavu
08-03-2005, 03:09 PM
YOu know a lot of us have probably seen each other at these pplaces and don't even know it, lol

bknyballer3
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
WOW that is hot i wish i was into trannies back then I would have had a ball....now you have a few places like Crash out in queens an ike someone said ealier you have to wait till late for a sweet girl to show up

innavoice
08-03-2005, 10:46 PM
YOu know a lot of us have probably seen each other at these pplaces and don't even know it, lol

we've prolly crossed paths and bumped heads a few times......

we prolly pissed each other off a few times too......LOL

Ecstatic
08-04-2005, 01:22 AM
It's kinda weird reading all these accounts. Back in the late 70s through the early 90s we used to go visit my inlaws in the city, and every so often I managed to slip away and visit some of these places. I don't remember any names--I wasn't there often enough for names to sink in--but the descriptions of a couple of them sound very familiar. I remember one hot hand job I got in one of those plastic booths with holes cut out, spaced for mouth and, conveniently, groin. I saw a few trannys in those places, though mostly gg's back then. Come to think of it, that means my first tranny encounter was almost 15 years earlier than I thought, though I don't really count those booth encounters.

tslvr
08-04-2005, 01:56 AM
One time years ago, I was at Eidelweiss when it was on 28th or near there, and I met and got to go home with Summer St. Cerly. What a night and no fees included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slinky
08-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Damn Danny you read my mind.LOL i could not remember the name of the restaurant that housed the original Edel parites. Lo and behold ya come up with the answer. If i recall coprrectly didn't the party float in a few spaces besides Speed Limit. My memory is pretty fuzzy gotta leave that weed alone lol.

Yeah, I think it floated around a bit, but in that general vicinity for a bit before settling on Edelweis; and if i remember correctly, it was only because they settled there for a while that they took the name Edelwies because that was the actual name of the German place. Before that I don't remember if they had a specific name. The big reason I remember Speed Limit 55 is that I actually ate at the restaurant before they started having the parties there. Actually, it was probably the best place of all of them, space wise: big, high ceiling, etc. It was sort of a cross between a restuarant and a club. It was the first restaurant I remember eating at that had a DJ (even when they were only open as a restaurant).

08-05-2005, 02:51 AM
so does anyone remember p.t. barnums and the spanish named tgrrl bar several blocks north of sallys, off 8th ave?

Looking 4 Now
08-05-2005, 04:37 AM
I went to Lucho's once on a friday nite, all guys...gay bar

Looking 4 Now
08-05-2005, 04:39 AM
Edelweiss was my all time favorite. I never liked Sally's or Now bar

Allanah's parties are great but there only once a month and starting to lose some of it's luster. Not as many pretty girls as there use be and the guys are starting to out number the girls as of late and at 50 bucks a throw, no bargain

Edelweiss had some run, seven days a week and always packed on the weekends. It was like the wild west anything went in there and made Allanahs parties look tame. It's hard to tell how big it was but I'll bet it held as many people as Shelter

BTW I hear their open again on seventh Ave

While were on the subject anyone remember the Grapevine on 47th street

TomSelis
08-05-2005, 05:23 AM
Before I head out to the Thursday party anybody know how the new Edelweiss is? (I'm still going to the Thursday parties though)

Looking 4 Now
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
[quote="TomSelis"]Before I head out to the Thursday party anybody know how the new Edelweiss is? (I'm still going to the Thursday parties though)[/quot

IT'S DEAD

EdelweissFan
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Hingshing and Looking, I also tried Lucho's because I'd read that there were many tgirls there.

Hing, please tell us more about your experience at luchos.

Now that I'm married, I can't hang out late unless wifey is out of town. The night I went, the place didn't open till ten and as Looking said, the night I went, it was a gay club with all guys until about 1 or 2 am, when the first tgirls came in. The night I went, there were only 2 or 3 and it was just past my bedtime, I had to drag my ass home. But I have heard that sometimes there are a lot of girls there. I have heard vague rumors that there are other mainly tgirl places in the neighborhood, but never found them. There is a place under the el that has shows, but again I think its mostly a gay club.

Tom, as for Edelweiss, I think, but am not sure, that even its last location closed, which was 7th ave south. The police just have a hard on for that club because of the complaints from community boards about the drugs and prostitution that took place at its 11th ave location in its last sad years.

Also the owner/manager was kind of a nut case. There were very funny articles in the newspapers about his trial to close the 11th ave location, because he would say shit in open court, like "yeah I let the girls do drugs and whore because it made me money, what's wrong with that."

I read a horror story on Queenmothernyc boards about the 7th ave south location, where the cops would carry out surveillance of the club and anyone who left with a girl was arrested and sent to "john school."

Needless to say, business dropped off at that place like wiley coyote off a cliff. So if it is open, be very very careful.

Let's hear it from the nyc tgirls. Where do you go when you want to chill, ladies?

Also any more info about Luchos

Looking 4 Now
08-06-2005, 04:33 AM
I see a girl from that area and she assures there are no ts bars in Queens
You may find a few t-girls in the gay clubs once in a while but that's not for me

If anyone knows different please post

ABSOLUTE SHADE
08-06-2005, 06:01 AM
There are no TRANNIE CLUBS in Queens: Luchos, Atlantis, Friends Tavern and Music Box are all GAY CLUBS but alot of trannies attend. They arrive after 1:30 AM

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-06-2005, 06:31 AM
banana never looked so appetizing

slinky
08-07-2005, 02:52 AM
so does anyone remember p.t. barnums and the spanish named tgrrl bar several blocks north of sallys, off 8th ave?

If you had said South instead of North, I would have guessed Esquilita.

steve4ltr4tg
08-10-2005, 06:55 AM
hey,
just my two cents on Luchos. ive been going there for about a year and a half now, not consistently mind you, but enough to get the flavor of the place. When I first went, it was on a Wed night and there was absolutely nothing to do in the city on a Wed, Tgirl wise - Im probably wrong about that but for this posts sake, ill leave it at that.
When I walked in, it was crawling with girls. A mix of Cds and Tgs but enough tgs were there to compare with say, Now bar on a Thur night back in the day.
As time progressed and i think this has some direct correlation with Allanahs parties sprouting up over the last year, the attendance at Luchos has gone down. Keep in mind that i dont get there on the weekends so thats probablythe case too.
I think if you go there on say a thur, after 2am you might see a good crowd.
There is a large gay latino crowd there every night but its not overwhelming, its a comfortable and fun place when theres enough girls there.
Another note - as posted in many of these posts regarding jackson heights and the clubs around there - be safe, it can get sketchy at night under the 7 train. i made a stupid mistake one night and wound up in elmhurst hospitial. not fun. you can run into some shady characters around there.

steve