PDA

View Full Version : Generation Kill

Tomfurbs
07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Anyone watched the first episode?

By David Simon and Ed Burns, the dudes behind 'The Wire'.

Thought it was awesome myself.

'Po-lice that mustache!'

TomSelis
07-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Shit I missed it!

I'm guessing it'll come on again tonight.

God bless having 13 different HBO's and On Demand.

totalhonesty
07-15-2008, 02:22 AM
It looked way too hollywood and not realistic enough. The main platoon which seems to be the focus of the show doesn't have one single african american in it. And the soliders looked too much like fucking models. I was surprised given the type of gritty casting in The Wire. I expected more from these producers. Yes, David Simon as a producer is usually involved in the casting process. I believe the platoon had one hispanic, and one bi-racial dude. That was it. Not exactly representative of the kind of people who are fighting for our freedom.

Justawannabe
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Thought there were two black dudes in where the media was told to bunk. Could be wrong though as I was watching and playing games at the same time.

I do tend to agree it was a tad to 'pretty' to be war... but some of the shots I've seen from friends who went over make it look much closer to pretty than I'd have thought.

All in all though I do think it's well done enough that I want to watch more. I thought if anything was over the top it was the tight ass regulations man.

Sean

Oli
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
It looked way too hollywood and not realistic enough. The main platoon which seems to be the focus of the show doesn't have one single african american in it. And the soliders looked too much like fucking models. I was surprised given the type of gritty casting in The Wire. I expected more from these producers. Yes, David Simon as a producer is usually involved in the casting process. I believe the platoon had one hispanic, and one bi-racial dude. That was it. Not exactly representative of the kind of people who are fighting for our freedom.

It may not be representative of the entire force, but if you read the book (and see the pictures in it), the platoon the writer embedded with was predominantly white.

And a few of the Marines in the book are playing themselves in the show.

hellboy3
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
When I was in the USMC, Force Recon was a predomately White unit.

TomSelis
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I thought it was pretty good. Anything Simon and Burns does is going to start out a little slow. But the dialogue was great.

The next episode will have more action, the radio transmission during the end credits sounded like something I saw on an episode of Shootout!

Tomfurbs
07-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I agree. The dialogue was excellent. The Wire was the last tv I remember watching that actually made me engage my brain. Hopefully this will continue in the same vein.

TomSelis
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
LOL@ Captain America

"Follow my tracer fire men!"

"We got lit the fuck up!"

Colbert- Episode 2

This show really is good.

NYBURBS
07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
When I was in the USMC, Force Recon was a predomately White unit.

Yea this was my experience in seeing Force Recon Marines also.

NYBURBS
08-09-2008, 06:53 AM
I've now watched the first four episodes of this. It's hilarious at times and very gritty at other moments, but you might need a military background to really appreciate how dead on some of these personalities are.

I should qualify my statement by adding that the hilarious part is not the death or violence, but rather the interaction between the Marines. Overall great show, which I highly recommend people watch.

blckhaze
08-09-2008, 07:24 AM
a new fave of mine as well. some of the lingo goes over my head but overall its easy to follow and gives a very human side to the story. Looking forward to the future episodes.

Tomfurbs
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
It's a shame it's only a miniseries.

TomSelis
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Damn, I gotta catch last weeks episode before tommorrow night.

Wino the SuperHero
08-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I think its a pretty good show. I think people got so attached to the wire they aren't really give this show a chance.

The Wire made you aware of the inner city problems.

Generation Kill gets more into the mind set of the troops.
They are programed to follow orders and this show gets into the inner conflicts some troops go through. The situation they are in trying to fight an enemy and save people that all blend together as one.

boondocksaint
08-15-2008, 06:58 AM
In my unit of like 180 we got only like 20 white people, but everyone says thats kuz its atlanta

Quinn
08-15-2008, 07:10 AM
I missed the inital episodes because I was out of the country, but I watched them all on DVR a couple of days ago. Fucking great show.
Captain America is hysterical. The last episode, when he was '"trapped" on the bridge, featured his best scene yet.

-Quinn

NYBURBS
08-15-2008, 07:54 AM
I missed the inital episodes because I was out of the country, but I watched them all on DVR a couple of days ago. Fucking great show.
Captain America is hysterical. The last episode, when he was '"trapped" on the bridge, featured his best scene yet.

-Quinn

Ya that was priceless.

TomSelis
08-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Hey, you devil dogs. What's the thing about the charms in the humvee? They never explained that.

NYBURBS
05-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, you devil dogs. What's the thing about the charms in the humvee? They never explained that.

Marines have various superstitions about good and bad luck items, or certain personal rituals they like to go through. A lot of these superstitions are confined to particular units.

http://www.mcnews.info/mcnewsinfo/marines/2006/20062nd/divisions/pme.shtml

http://www.courant.com/services/newspaper/printedition/news/hc-charlieco-061506,0,4031212.story

http://www.tiggertags.com/patriotfiles/forum/showthread.php?p=67169

droog
05-02-2009, 11:30 AM
generation kill is outstanding. but then again, anything from david simon is top-notch. he was the writer for homicide: life on the street and also wrote the miniseries the corner.

not to get too off topic, but for those of you who like generation kill, the wire is a must. quite possibly one of the best shows ever, after the shield of course. i was so impressed by the first season of the wire that after i finished it, i went to best buy and bought seasons 2-5.

so if you're a fan of good writing and haven't seen any of these shows, what are you waiting for? :D

circ
05-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Generation Kill was some of the finest shit television has had to offer in a very long time. I picked up two season of The Wire on accout of GK, but didn't really care for it. Law & Order is still the best cop show that ever was.