PDA

View Full Version : Scariest horror flick you've ever seen to date..........

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Whats the scariest horrow flick you've seen to date?

My all time favorite has to be the Exorcist
but
a close runner up would be "The Eye"

abblecore
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I havent really seen alot of scary movies but The Grudge had me a tiny tiny bit jumpy

LG
08-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, The Grudge didn't do it for me. The Blair Witch Project hardly scared me. I thought that some of recent movies like Sixth Sense, The Others and Ginger Snaps were excellent cinema, but they hardly made me jump. I haven't actually seen the Exorcist, and I'm not sure I want to, but I can say that Jaws made me shiver everytime I went near a beach until I was in my mid-teens.

I prefer horror films that can stand out as films rather than just be scary (The Others is an excellent example, as is the first Alien movie) and I also like horror films and creature features that are entertaining. Films like Eight Legged Freaks or the recent British flick Shaun of the Dead are excellent date movies- scary enough for her to seek protection in your arms, but not nasty enough to make her freak out about what she saw after she leaves the cinema.

As for the most disturbing (but in a way, brilliant) movie I've seen in the past year, the top prize must go to Saw. Catch it on DVD- it's a mindfuck.

GroobySteven
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Mine wasn't a movie but it I was reading my fave magazine when I actually saw what Megabody looked like with his shirt off. I showed it to my girlfriend and she was so freaked out that we had to have sex right there and then, just to remind her what a real man was about...

I'm travelling at the moment Mega - hopefully my magazine will be back on return. How's married life?
s

tgirl in platform heels
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
anyone seen 'the descent' yet? it's an excellent british scare movie where a bunch of women go explore a new underground cave system, but when there's a rock fall they have to find another exit (little do they know that there are creatures living within the caves).

my all time fave scare movie is 'don't look now'.

GroobySteven
08-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I can't wait to see the "The Descent" - it was directed by the guy who done "Dog Soldiers" which is a cool ass werewolf movie.
Co-incidentally, he was in the year above me at comprehensive school but I don't recall him.
seanchai

Ecstatic
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I find psychological thrillers scarier than most special effects-laden horror flicks, which often are just stupid (Freddy and all that ilk). Classic Hitchcock like The Birds or Vertigo, or other flicks like Rosemary's Baby or The Exorcist. There was one scene in Poltergist which involuntarily made me jump in my seat (the scene involved maggots, yeech).

bknyballer3
08-02-2005, 05:13 PM
I have an old classic that would not really scare anyone today but it had people jumping for along time..........."THE BLOB"

Reddman
08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
The one that most recently shook me to the core for weeks and weeks ( hell even months later) isn't a horror flim per se. Gasper Noe's "Irreversible" (France 2002 starring Vincent Cassel, Moncia Bellucci) isn't so such a simple average revenge tale but is a story told in reverse - the first scene is the story's conclusion, and each subsequent sequence proceeds back through the events that led up to most harrowing ( i'm being very nice in calling it so) violent acts in the film at it's intro (a graphic murder) and it's midway point a gut wrenching 10 minute rape scene. Amazing cinematography with lots of technically difficult camera work and Noe's inventive use of sound is most astounding. In fact while i'll reccomend it, it's not something most folk would re watch (myself included) as much as survive it. Perfect film no but impressive nonetheless.

LG
08-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Reddman, I haven't seen Irreversible, but I'll check it out.

Make sure you watch Christopher Nolan's excellent Memento, which was made a couple of years before Irreversible and uses a similar storytelling gimmick. I'd rate it as one of the best films of the last few years.

Rated 8.7 by website users on IMDB (21st best film of all time): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-02-2005, 06:21 PM
the Blair Witch Project was one of the best comedies ever written.........................LOL

geekmeat
08-02-2005, 07:01 PM
The Omen was by far the scariest shit ever.
Followed closely by the Exorcist.

Quinn
08-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I have to go with JWB on this one. "The Eye" is probably the best film in the genre I have seen in a long time. The scene in the elevator was probably my favorite. What a mindfuck.

-Quinn

NYCe
08-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I think "The Grudge" goes down as one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. It wasn't scary in the least. But the original version by Takashi Shimizu, entitled Ju-on: The Grudge is.

Something about movies getting translated/and or remade that they lose much of their original "scare factor". The Ring was a visual treat but not really scary, and The Ring 2 completely sucked ass. But the original version of the ring entitlted Ringu by Hideo Nakata? Bloodchilling.

GroobySteven
08-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Ju-on was fucking scary.
Exorcist part 3 (directed by William Peter Blatty) was very well done - especially the Jason Miller/Brad Dourif scenes.
Watching "Salem's Lot" as an 11 year old.
Nosferatu (Murnea version from 1922)
Freaks by Tod Browning.
10 Rillington Place

Recently really enjoyed "House of 1000 Corpses" which was a throw back to the 80's horrors.
Also some of the Hammer Horrors although cheesy can still have a scare.
seanchai