PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian police mistakenly kill 3yo boy

praetor
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Brazilian police mistakenly kill 3yo

Posted Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:00pm AEST

Officials in Brazil say military police shot dead a three-year-old boy after apparently mistaking the car he was travelling in for a vehicle carrying armed suspects.

The officers said a car carrying a mother and two children had been hit accidentally at least 15 times during an exchange of fire with suspected armed robbers.

But the security secretary in Rio state said those involved had displayed a total lack of judgement and preparation.

They have been arrested and put under investigation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/08/2297518.htm?section=justin

praetor
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Brazilian police kill 3-year-old in Rio pursuit
AFP
Published: Monday, July 07, 2008

RIO DE JANEIRO - Police fatally shot a three-year-old boy in Rio de Janeiro after apparently mistaking the car he was traveling in for that of fleeing armed suspects, officials said Monday.

"There are no apologies for such a tragedy. This was a disastrous incident. As a father and a police officer, I am ashamed at what happened," Rio secretary of security Jose Mariano Beltrame told reporters.

"There was a total lack of preparation and discernment on the part of the police," he said.
Two police officers late Sunday fired 15 shots into the car carrying the killed boy, Joao Roberto Amaral.

He was hit in the back of the head, in the buttocks and in an ear, and was declared brain dead after being taken to hospital.

His nine-month-old brother who was with him was unhurt, while his mother, Alessandra Amaral, who was driving the car, was hit with fragments.

The father, taxi driver Paulo Roberto Amaral, told reporters after arriving at the hospital that the police "shot up my wife's car without any possibility of defense. There were kids in the car. They almost killed my entire family."

Witnesses said it looked as if the police had confused the car with another being driven by suspects being pursued.

The two officers have been arrested and put under investigation.

"They confirm that they had a firefight with the assailants, but say they only shot at the suspects' car. If their guilt is proved, they will be punished," police chief Walter Olivera said.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=d86649c6-6438-4aa0-90c5-166c3e090f01

praetor
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Police kill three-year-old in Rio pursuit

Rio de Janeiro - Police fatally shot a three-year-old boy in Rio de Janeiro after apparently mistaking the car he was travelling in for that of fleeing armed suspects, officials said on Monday.

"There are no apologies for such a tragedy. This was a disastrous incident. As a father and a police officer, I am ashamed at what happened," Rio secretary of security Jose Mariano Beltrame told reporters.

"There was a total lack of preparation and discernment on the part of the police," he said.

Two police officers late on Sunday fired 15 shots into the car carrying the killed boy, Joao Roberto Amaral.

He was hit in the back of the head, in the buttocks and in an ear, and was declared brain dead after being taken to hospital.

His nine-month-old brother who was with him was unhurt, while his mother, Alessandra Amaral, who was driving the car, was hit with fragments.

The father, taxi driver Paulo Roberto Amaral, told reporters after arriving at the hospital that the police "shot up my wife's car without any possibility of defence. There were kids in the car. They almost killed my entire family."

Witnesses said it looked as if the police had confused the car with another being driven by suspects being pursued.

"They confirm that they had a firefight with the assailants, but say they only shot at the suspects' car. If their guilt is proved, they will be punished," police chief Walter Olivera said.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=122&art_id=nw20080708091013121C583482

praetor
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Police kill three-year-old in Rio pursuit
8th July 2008, 7:00 WST

Police have fatally shot a three-year-old boy in Rio de Janeiro after apparently mistaking the car he was travelling in for that of fleeing armed suspects.

“There are no apologies for such a tragedy. This was a disastrous incident. As a father and a police officer, I am ashamed at what happened,” Rio secretary of security Jose Mariano Beltrame told reporters today.

“There was a total lack of preparation and discernment on the part of the police,” he said.

Two police officers late yesterday fired 15 shots into the car carrying the three-year-old boy, Joao Roberto Amaral.

He was hit in the back of the head, in the buttocks and in an ear and was declared brain dead after being taken to hospital.

The father, taxi driver Paulo Roberto Amaral, told reporters after arriving at the hospital that the police “shot up my wife’s car without any possibility of defence. There were kids in the car. They almost killed my entire family”.

“They confirm that they had a firefight with the assailants, but say they only shot at the suspects’ car. If their guilt is proved, they will be punished,” police chief Walter Olivera said.

RIO DE JANEIRO
AFP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=29&ContentID=83423