PDA

View Full Version : British television has some weird shows.

NYCe
07-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Britain's Missing Top Model

A bevy of beauties will get a chance to break into the modeling world thanks to a new U.K. TV show. Sounds like the same ol' catwalk contest, right? Well ... there's a catch.

'Britain's Missing Top Model' only features models with disabilities from around the world - including one from the U.S.. Among the eight lovely ladies who will duke it out onscreen are women without limbs, some who are partially paralyzed and one who is deaf.

The series, which debuts on BBC in July, reportedly aims to challenge the standard of beauty in the fashion industry.

"I went into this program thinking it was an adventure, rather than a path to a new career," contestant Jessica Kellgren-Hayes, who often uses a wheelchair to get around, told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper. "Although I don't want any of my dreams to be unattainable, I'm not sure if Britain is ready for a model with a disability."

U.K. Marie Claire editor Marie O'Riordan, who serves as a judge for "Missing Top Model," says she has high hopes for the show: "I do believe the program could help challenge our attitudes to disability. I want to see the winner shake up the fashion industry. These young women shouldn't be invisible to the fashion world just because they are disabled."

The winner will have a photo spread in British Marie Claire.

peggygee
07-01-2008, 02:16 AM
I hope that it is done tastefully, and I think it's a good idea that the
handi-able are portrayed in a favourable light.

andyuk
07-01-2008, 04:04 AM
we make some great shows in the u.k :D
actually think you will find the uk is quite a way ahead of a lot of other countries in making tv shows,
very open about a lot of issues,which is good right?