PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court ruled today on the D.C. gun ban

InHouston
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
The Supreme Court ruled today that the D.C. gun ban violates the 2nd amendment to keep and bear arms. Gun control advocates often posit the argument that it only applies to a "well regulated militia". The court ruled that this operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individuals right to keep and bear arms as well for personal self-defense.

An excerpt from the court today: The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditional lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Currently in D.C., handgun ownership is not permitted, and rifles in the home must be kept disassembled and with trigger locks that render the gun non-functional.

Now the occupational hazards for would be burglars will be death, or if they're lucky and arrested ... jail.

:claps

howdydoody
07-01-2008, 02:39 AM
More likely I'll be the one getting shot by the burglar.

Seriously, the second amendment is completely outdated and merely a product of a by-gone era when people actually needed guns for protection against red coats and those pesky "savages" (I'm being sarcastic, please no one take offense to that). Today, I think my right to not get blown away by some crack head far outweighs that person's right to own a handgun.

When is the last time you've heard of a civilian actually using a handgun as protection? It rarely happens. Even police officers RARELY use their handguns and they are put in threatening situations on a daily basis.

On the other hand, every day I look at the newspaper and there's another innocent shooting victim or another disgruntled office employee who goes on a killing spree.

This has got to stop...

El Nino
07-01-2008, 05:44 AM
What are you, retaaaaded?

trish
07-01-2008, 05:57 AM

Capital way to answer the man's point. Quite libertarian. In actual fact the NRA has a shit load of those "guns used in self-defense" stories all lined up for anyone who inquires (or who doesn't). That's why El Nino thinks you're a retard if you aren't familiar with them. Trouble is, the horror stories of people getting killed accidentally by idiots with guns way outnumber the ones with happy endings. Believe me, the farm folks in Pennsylvania don't go outside much during deer season. It's too fucking dangerous.

howdydoody
07-01-2008, 08:32 AM

In actual fact the NRA has a shit load of those "guns used in self-defense" stories all lined up for anyone who inquires (or who doesn't). That's why El Nino thinks you're a retard if you aren't familiar with them. Trouble is, the horror stories of people getting killed accidentally by idiots with guns way outnumber the ones with happy endings.

I don't get it... The fact that the NRA can pull "a shit load" of "happy" gun stories ala Chuck Bronson out of their asses should be enough to convince me that everyone should have free access to a handgun? Pleeease, who's retarded here?

InHouston
07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
In actual fact the NRA has a shit load of those "guns used in self-defense" stories all lined up for anyone who inquires (or who doesn't).

And those stories provided by the N.R.A. are factual accounts. I have two personal stories of my own whereby merely presenting my firearm stopped the commission of an attempted car-jacking one night, and burglary of my home one morning.

Trouble is, the horror stories of people getting killed accidentally by idiots with guns way outnumber the ones with happy endings.

Hypothetical and 'wishful thinking' on your part.

Believe me, the farm folks in Pennsylvania don't go outside much during deer season. It's too fucking dangerous.

I take it then you frequent farming communities in Pennsylvania during deer season? I think not. Believe me, being around deer hunters is one of the safest places you can find yourself. I think your last comment qualifies as one of the most irresponsible and speculative comments you've submitted yet.

InHouston
07-01-2008, 03:48 PM

In actual fact the NRA has a shit load of those "guns used in self-defense" stories all lined up for anyone who inquires (or who doesn't). That's why El Nino thinks you're a retard if you aren't familiar with them. Trouble is, the horror stories of people getting killed accidentally by idiots with guns way outnumber the ones with happy endings.

I don't get it... The fact that the NRA can pull "a shit load" of "happy" gun stories ala Chuck Bronson out of their asses should be enough to convince me that everyone should have free access to a handgun? Pleeease, who's retarded here?

Yeah who's retarded here? That's Charles Bronson, not Chuck Bronson. The vigilante you're referring to (Charles Bronson) was merely a fictional character portrayed in the 1970's movie Death Wish. The N.R.A's stories document accounts of people using their guns in self-defense, not prowling the streets at night hunting for criminals to kill as Charles Bronson did in Death Wish.

trish
07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
[quote...'wishful thinking' on your part.[/quote]

Actually I wish is wasn't true, as do you.

Tomfurbs
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Believe me, being around deer hunters is one of the safest places you can find yourself.

LMFAO.

Having spent a large part of my childhood in Provence, France, where the tourist 'chasseurs' go apeshit when it is hunting season, this little gem is sig-worthy.

:roll:

trish
07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I take it then you frequent farming communities in Pennsylvania during deer season? I think not. Believe me, being around deer hunters is one of the safest places you can find yourself. I think your last comment qualifies as one of the most irresponsible and speculative comments you've submitted yet.

I lived and grew up in Pennsylvania. I hunted in Bucks County, Center County, York County. All over. I know plenty of farmers, because we actually would ask at the farm house for permission if we wanted to hunt the fields. But you don't have to talk to farmers to know the stories. All you have to do is read the newspapers.

While deer hunting in the northern counties you'd aways bump into "hunters" from Philly and Pittsburgh who had cabins up there and were more into the drinking and carousing then the hunting. We'd walk a wide circle around those guys. My Dad stopped hunting when it got too crowded and too dangerous. It deeply saddened him. Me, I haven't hunted since I was sixteen. Even though I was fairly good at it (for a transitioning girl) it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Believe me, being around deer hunters is one of the safest places you can find yourself.

Of course that's definitely not true for quail hunters in Texas.

howdydoody
07-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah who's retarded here? That's Charles Bronson, not Chuck Bronson.

Chuck is short for Charles...

...and to answer your question, YOU sir are retarded.

howdydoody
07-02-2008, 12:15 AM

Ahaha! I don't know about Pennsylvania but I'm from Minnesota and we've had many accidents recently (usually some hick shooting himself or someone else). Last one involved a drunk/high farmer shooting his own toddler son dead because he "thought he was a turkey".

Can you honestly believe your own statement in a post Cheney world? :lol:

sexieg6
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
to be our nations capital DC Isnt really safe so much crime just as bad as oakland 2400

ITs ghetto thats for damn sure I went once hated it someone actually stole A can of red bull(not opened) i left on hood of car when visiting a friend went in for 2-4 mins Gone.....