PDA

View Full Version : Most extraordinary concert you've assisted ...

oldto77
06-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Anyone seen Pink Floyd at the Pyramids, for example ?

BeardedOne
06-19-2008, 11:01 PM
"Assisted" or "Attended"?

I'll assume the latter as you may be using BabelFish. :D

I think the finest I attended was the 1976 Bicentennial concert performed by the Boston Pops on the Esplanade. We sat atop one of my limousines, across the river on Memorial Drive, just in front of MIT.

Any musical piece that requires the firing of sixteen Howitzer cannons by the 26th Yankee Division can't be all bad. :D

oldto77
06-19-2008, 11:19 PM
ok: attended of course !

oldto77
06-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I saw Genesis in 1973 in Paris, playing Foxtrot my Gabriel and his fox head.
Probably my best ...

FiremanforTS
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
A Conspiracy of Hope: Giants Stadium, June of 86' (I was 15)

Bryan Adams
U2
Peter Gabriel
Final Concert of the Police (until07)
John Eddie
Peter, Paul Mary
Joan Baez
Howard Jones
Even more.

Way cool

Moon
06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Pink Floyd at Wembly Stadium, awesome gig back in 1989, also at Earls court in 1993.

Recently been to the Download festival at Donnington (UK), great 3 day festival with the likes of Kiss, The Offspring, Lostprophets and my fav's Within Temptation.

I did also go with a lady friend to see Westlife a couple of months ago at Wembly Arena (London)

ossumpeiEIEIO
06-19-2008, 11:50 PM
43 Greatful Dead concerts, including the last two. The best was Eugene Oregon 93.

Oli
06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
A Conspiracy of Hope: Giants Stadium, June of 86' (I was 15)

Bryan Adams
U2
Peter Gabriel
Final Concert of the Police (until07)
John Eddie
Peter, Paul Mary
Joan Baez
Howard Jones
Even more.

Way cool

I was there (I was 20)...backpack filled with 7 oz. Bud cans, Third World at noon, Gabriel finishing with "Biko", great show.

thezodiac
06-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Def Leppard (still with Steve Clark [RIP]) January 1988 / San Juan, PR

Falrune
06-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Lou Reed and The Savage Band at Winterland

Anubis1079
06-20-2008, 01:02 AM
No Pink Floyd at the Pyramids, but I saw Roger Waters at Starlake Ampitheatre in Pittburgh, which was basically a Floyd show. I've seen DMB all over the East coast, about 8 shows at Starlake, 1 at RFK Stadium, 1 at Darrien Lake, 1 in Tampa. Also I've seen 311 on 3-11 day in New Orleans in 2004 and in Memphis in 2006. Those were my favorite concerts that I've seen. The Allman Brothers were good also, but I saw Tom Petty once and it was the worst concert I've ever seen, he's lethargic.

HeHateMe
06-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Roger Waters this year in Dallas.

Veronica420
06-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Nirvana 1992 in Roskilde.

the_bo
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
The Dead And Dylan on July 4th 1982 and GONG in 1996
I lived in Seatlle for years and saw most bands before they became famous in club settings which was cool

Moon
06-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Wow, Gong. I saw them back in '89, Zap club, Brighton. Great gig. Wanted to see Roger Waters at O2 London, but I am away at that time.

the_bo
06-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah I saw em in a small club in Seattle and even got let back stage to hang with them we sat around smoking pot and talking all night!
Still one of my favorite bands of all time

London Guy
06-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Po-go-ing to the Clash and Sex Pistols at the 100 Club, Oxford Street, London - them were the days..........

kimjongil
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Brian Setzer at Poplar Creek in 1986. I'm not a big "Rockabilly" fan, but this guy put on one hell of a show.

oldto77
06-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Incredible what you've seen:

Best souvenir from when I was 16yo, long time ago:

- first Roxy Music with Ferry in 73 at the Bataclan in Paris;
- Genesis with PG, same year same place
- New York Dolls, 74 or 75, same place
- The Clash in 81 in Paris

Big disappointments: not having travelled to Brussels in 73 to see the Stones (was way too serious at that age)

The Piper
06-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Springsteen - Roundhay Park Leeds UK. Summer of 1985.
Last date of the Born in the USA tour.Had seen him twice before that summer but this date just far exceeded the others.
Happy Days.

El_hefe
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Hmmmm, how can one judge the "best" concert? Was the band playing playing at it's peak.... or were your companions & the rest of the bill at their crackling best that night? Or did you have just enough of some substance that made you understand what the purpose of life could be?

The first: Rolling Stones, summer 1965 Dublin (just as "Satisfaction" was released) 5 guys with small amps in a small theatre, mics probably going through the house PA, trying to be heard over the non-stop sonic screams of hundreds of teenage girls.

The worst: Either one of the many times the Dead couldn't gel live or.... Blind Faith (E. Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker....) @ Madison Sq. Garden '71 or 70 I think. Played lifelessly for about 30 minutes then left the stage, no encore. The audience tore the place up & stole a lot of the equipment.

The Best: Can't choose between the first time I saw Hendrix @ The Fillmore - the week his 1st album came out - the opening act was an "unknown" group then called Sly & the Family Stone... OMG what a show.
OR.....
Led Zep a year or so later at the Fillmore, their first show there. Truly awesome live show.

Yes, sigh, I was also at Woodstock, no shit,( 39 yrs ago) I'm mfing old.... anyone else here? Best. Concert. Ever.

saifan
06-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Radiohead at MSG during the "Hail to the Thief" tour.

budeluv77
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I've seen Phish 97 times! The most extraordinary was Big Cypress for Millenium New Years!

borhino
06-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Brian Setzer at Poplar Creek in 1986. I'm not a big "Rockabilly" fan, but this guy put on one hell of a show.

I saw that show too! Good show.

My five favorite

Springsteen (Tunnel of Love Tour - 6th row)
Springsteen (The River Tour - 10th Row)
Springsteen (Reunion Tour - 4th Row)
Springsteen (The Rising - Good, not great seats)
Springsteen (Soldier Field)

hippifried
06-26-2008, 03:56 AM
First: Canned Heat, new years 1967/8

Worst: (a tossup) The James Gang with Chuck Berry. Not that the music was bad, but there were problems & a late start. Then in order to get back on schedule, they pulled the plug on Chuck Berry in mid song after about 15 minutes. I wonder if those clowns have the slightest clue how close they came to having a full scale riot on their hands. By the time the James Gang came on, nobody cared.

Then there was the trip to Tucson to see Jefferson Airplane. The band tried to play around her, but Grace Slick was so fucked up that she kept interfering in the songs & ended up starting a fight with Paul Kantner. What a waste.

Best: (more tossup) Early '69, a show with the Standels, Sweetwater, Blood Sweat & Tears, Iron Butterfly, & the Byrds. Iron Butterfly's drummer turned around & puked after his 45 minute solo during Inna Gadda da Vida. It was a highlight. All in all, a great show, but some people got upset with the Byrds because they were promoting their Sweetheart of the Rodeo album. Yee haw.

Then in Nov '73, there was a show with War, ELO, & a couple of bands that nobody had ever heard of at the time that turned out to be a pleasant surprize. That was Blue Oyster Cult (first band up) & ZZ Top (pre beards & plastic). 3 Dog Night was supposed to headline, but they got rained out. Oh well.

Most memorable: Summer of '69 at an outdoor "festival", this guy came on at sunset between Lee Michaels & Spirit. He called himself Pulse. Just one guy surrounded by congas & various other drums with a set of sound oscillators & lights that projected his shadow on a screen in back. He started off with a simple rhythm that built in intensity for 45 minutes to a crescendo with a blast of flash powder on the front of the stage & he was gone. He came back out to wild cheers a couple of minutes later & slapped hands with the audience then left again. Never heard of him before or since, but it was impressive.

Other memorables:
Jeff Beck
The Mothers of Invention
King Crimson (Robert Fripp was the first guitar player I ever saw do a solo with all harmonics)
Larry Coryell
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones with Take Five
Chet Atkins with Leo Kotke
BB King with Freddy King
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Several Grateful Dead Concerts
The Allman Brothers with Boz Skaggs (pre-disco)
Steve Stills (a 3 part show with a rock band then a solo set then a big band)

There's more, but I gotta go do laundry.