PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Stan Winston

manbearpig
06-17-2008, 12:48 AM
You may (or may not) know him as the practical effects wizard behind Terminator, Jurassic Park, and Predator among others. Tis a sad, sad day for movie buffs.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37106

chefmike
06-17-2008, 02:07 AM
I'm sorry that the man is dead. May he RIP. But not all of us go to the movies because of their special effects. Some of us even avoid a movie for that very same reason.

saifan
06-17-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm sorry that the man is dead. May he RIP. But not all of us go to the movies because of their special effects. Some of us even avoid a movie for that very same reason.

Hmmmmmmm. Stan was a pioneer and truly one of the good efx guys. His career started long before CGI and he was normally called in for any practical efx that might be needed.

RIP, Stan.

manbearpig
06-17-2008, 04:35 AM

Some movies wouldn't even be possible without said effects. The trick is not to over use them.

Gmanfromthechi
06-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Wow I didn't even kno that. So sad. Loved all his work :-(

Cheekygrin
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Yep,its true.A sad day.The guy was one of the best FX guys out there.

BeardedOne
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Yah, just read this on AP. :(

Never met or knew Stan, but hung with his mentor on occasion, Ray Harryhausen and others in the industry like Jittlov, et al.

Great talents, these people, and few of the masses will ever know because they bolt before the end credits roll.

Azanti
06-18-2008, 02:45 AM
fucking gutted

His contribution cannot be quantified.