PDA

View Full Version : The Incredible Hulk:TV Series

Legend
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
I am watching a hulk marathon on thesci fi channel and I have to say this show was excellent,bill bixby as david banner( upon farther research they did not want to use bruce banner because the name sounded gay,LoL weird) was perfect.I hope the new movie follows the concept of the show.

kalina
06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
As a child, I used to watch the TV show every week but the things that always bugged me were the name change, the fact that he didn't talk (I wanted to hear "HULK SMASH!", and the fact that the TV Hulk was nowhere near as fantastic a monster as the comic books. In those days, Lou Ferrigno was basically the biggest bodybuilder out there so that was a natural choice, but nowadays Lou would be kind of small-looking compared to the mass freaks in the bodybuilding world.

I thought the TV show was a good drama. It was a good family show. Much better than TV Spiderman or TV Capt America. How many of you remember TV Dr. Strange? (bleagh!)

thezodiac
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Banner's original name, Robert Bruce Banner was indeed deemed too "feminine" by TV standards. But that show was amazing, no matter what the guy was called! I grew up on it and today, I still can't think of a TV show based on a comic book that can surpass 'The Incredible Hulk'

Legend
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
As a child, I used to watch the TV show every week but the things that always bugged me were the name change, the fact that he didn't talk (I wanted to hear "HULK SMASH!", and the fact that the TV Hulk was nowhere near as fantastic a monster as the comic books. In those days, Lou Ferrigno was basically the biggest bodybuilder out there so that was a natural choice, but nowadays Lou would be kind of small-looking compared to the mass freaks in the bodybuilding world.

I thought the TV show was a good drama. It was a good family show. Much better than TV Spiderman or TV Capt America. How many of you remember TV Dr. Strange? (bleagh!)

I didn't know there was a tv spiderman,captain america or dr.strange.

kalina
06-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Yep, they were all really bad! Back then, it was easy to be a DC fan with the old Superman TV series, the movies (1 and 2), and Wonder Woman. Batman was kind of a failed attempt at bringing humour to a character who should've been more a psycho than a clown.

There was even a Justice League show or two.

thezodiac
06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Dr. Strange: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077469/
The Amazing Spider-Man: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075671/
Legends of the Superheroes (Justice League): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131675/
Justice League Of America: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118365/

and for the life of me, I can't find anything on the Captain America series. And I know that there was one cause he drove in a motorcycle a la Wonder Woman and the helmet WAS part of his uniform!

TJT
06-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I was finishing up college when that show was on. We'd get all smoked up on primo Colombian weed and watch the Hulk. It came on Thursday night at 8pm.

We were rollin' out of my buddies house after watching it one night midsummer. We're drivin' around campus wonderin',"why is it so dark?" We still had our shades on.

meghanchavalier
06-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Well hopefully this Hulk Movie is better than the last one. I was watching the tv show on sci fi yesterday too. Ah Nostalgia. I miss Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter is still hot!
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_12038~Lynda-Carter-Posters.jpg

sucka4chix
06-14-2008, 04:23 PM
You guys are old, LOL! I don't remember the Hulk being all that great. Maybe as a drama, as Bixby was really good, but the Hulk was supposed to be a behemoth that could jump so far it was like he was flying... Not some 6' guy with a 4'11" guys clothes on. And the Hulk never did anything but push stuff around!!! Oh, and run away. It was disappointing to me.
I remember Captain America. Yeah it pretty much sucked. Seems like there was a Thor also, or he was on Capt America or something!

Quinn
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Though I always liked Bill Bixby (RIP) and did watch the original Hulk regularly as a kid, I don't think it was that good. The last Hulk movie sucked as well. I am, however, extremely hopeful that this newest incartion will do some justice to the concept.

-Quinn

thezodiac
06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
You guys are old, LOL! I don't remember the Hulk being all that great. Maybe as a drama, as Bixby was really good, but the Hulk was supposed to be a behemoth that could jump so far it was like he was flying... Not some 6' guy with a 4'11" guys clothes on. And the Hulk never did anything but push stuff around!!! Oh, and run away. It was disappointing to me.
I remember Captain America. Yeah it pretty much sucked. Seems like there was a Thor also, or he was on Capt America or something!
Thor was featured in 'The Incredible Hulk Returns' TV movie ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095368/ ).

Daredevil was featured in 'The Trial of The Incredible Hulk' TV movie ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098512/ )

in the final movie, 'The Death of The Incredile Hulk,' according to imdb.com, the movie sets weren't takene down because there were plans of making two more movies, but those plans were scraped after the death of Bill Bixby.

kalina
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Thor was in a Hulk movie. He didn't look like Thor to me. It was really strange seeing all these comic book characters brought to life in those days and they didn't resemble the characters we grew up with in the comics at all.

The only exceptions were Wonder Woman and Superman. Superman as played by George Reeves was silly, even corny, but fun. Wonder Woman was probably a role model of some kind for more than 50% of the tgirls out there.

The Marvel TV adaptations all... sucked until the Hulk came about and it was a very different take on the Hulk than the comics. It kind of has that Kung Fu feel where a fugitive has to keep running away from the crimes he accidentally commits. It's been done again and again but not with a comic book angle.

No, we're not old (I'm 40). We're seasoned! :) With salt and pepper and a little bit of cumin.

sucka4chix
06-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Though I always liked Bill Bixby (RIP) and did watch the original Hulk regularly as a kid, I don't think it was that good. The last Hulk movie sucked as well. I am, however, extremely hopeful that this newest incartion will do some justice to the concept.

-Quinn
I heard that its actually decent, BUT by far the worst part is when the Hulk is on the screen!!! Figure that one out!

Legend
06-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Yep, they were all really bad! Back then, it was easy to be a DC fan with the old Superman TV series, the movies (1 and 2), and Wonder Woman. Batman was kind of a failed attempt at bringing humour to a character who should've been more a psycho than a clown.

Yeah,i looked at a couple of the old batman show the one with adam west and it was really ridiculous.

chefmike
06-14-2008, 10:39 PM

Yeah,i look at a couple of the old batman show the one with adam west and it was really ridiculous.

I've always thought that the Batman series with Adam West was purposely campy. The writer and/or director had to be raving queens. As a matter of fact, they probably would have gotten along famously with some of our HA posters. As for those particular posters...you know who you are... :lol:

sucka4chix
06-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Batman was awesome! With "biff" "pow" "ZOWIE". The purposely phony building scaling with celebrity cameos! Classic. the villains?? Superb. Meredith and Gorshen were the shit. And somehow, that catsuit made Julie Newmar the object of many of my jackoff sessions.
But now that you mention it, it was pretty Gay, but I mean that as a positive!

Trans Mission
06-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Well hopefully this Hulk Movie is better than the last one. I was watching the tv show on sci fi yesterday too. Ah Nostalgia. I miss Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter is still hot!
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_12038~Lynda-Carter-Posters.jpg

I just read an article about Linda Carter finding a dead body on the Potomac river.

It got me yearning for nostalgia, wistful perhaps but a definite yearning nonetheless.

Legend
06-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Does anyone remember a show called the greatest american hero or something like that,talk about goofy show.

Trans Mission
06-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Does anyone remember a show called the greatest american hero or something like that,talk about goofy show.

Yes, I do. It had that "Believe it or not" song and the guy was always crashing into shit cause he was terrible at landing. I loved that show.

Legend
06-15-2008, 06:15 AM

Yes, I do. It had that "Believe it or not" song and the guy was always crashing into shit cause he was terrible at landing. I loved that show.

I remember g4 using that song when they were doing coverage for e3 a couple of years back thats how i came to watch the show.

kalina
06-15-2008, 10:57 PM
What happened on the last show of the Greatest American Hero? Did he ever find the book?

Wino the SuperHero
06-16-2008, 04:19 AM
As a kid i thought the Hulk TV show was the greatest. I am watching it now and i can't believe how freaking corny it is. Anyone remember the Flash's TV show? How about the super lame Mantis? Those were the days.

todd1971
06-16-2008, 06:01 AM
I use to watch that show when I was younger the storyline was excellent a man who lost his wife was trying to get stronger. If I remember correctly he was married 3 times in the show and lost all 3 wives.....And the ending piano piece called correctly enough
"the walking man" was great.

As for superhero tv nothing could beat the cartoons Spiderman and X-men of the mid 90's are legendary.

Trans Mission
06-16-2008, 06:09 AM
I use to watch that show when I was younger the storyline was excellent a man who lost his wife was trying to get stronger. If I remember correctly he was married 3 times in the show and lost all 3 wives.....And the ending piano piece called correctly enough
"the walking man" was great.

I totally dig that piano piece, too. It's such a mesmerizing, yet forlorn piece of music.

It was the best piece possibly written to illustrate a man's angst in pursuing an ever more eluding peace within himself. Leaving his present hell, searching for solace in the future somewhere, hoping his past wouldn't yet again surface.

I do believe it's "The Lonely Man", not "walking."

TJT
06-16-2008, 08:47 AM

aliens gave the guy a super suit- but he lost the instruction book, brilliant!

( -be advised this is not a post- ) :wink:

That was another good stoner epic. We had a game,every time he screwed up we all had to take a bong hit.